Author Topic: Joe G.  (Read 50718 times)

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
Re: Joe G.
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2015, 03:48:56 PM »
Really nice sketch Joe! Love the combo!

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2015, 04:08:58 PM »
Thank you Neil!   I must say I was inspired by your amazing Mars/Wacky combo sketches.  You know you might consider an Electric Slave with a nice Mars Attacks robot in it maybe?

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2015, 06:34:18 PM »
AWESOME CARD!

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2015, 06:37:26 PM »
AWESOME CARD!

Thanks Richard.  You know sketches are kinda fun when you don't have two hundred to do and a month to do them in!

Offline ElectricSlave

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2015, 10:33:29 AM »
that`s funny I didn`t even know you were a Yee Olde official Wacky artist. Hmmm or did I ?

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2015, 07:28:15 PM »
I noticed that one of my Caged sketches popped up on eBay today so I thought I would post the set.  My approach to this was to make it a tribute to original series Wacky dogs.  Oh and I think an Irish one snuck in as well.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2015, 07:29:24 PM »
Hey, Joe!  You still have your own topic on the Forum!

And those sketches are great!

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2015, 07:32:54 PM »
Thanks Paul, did you recognize them all? 

Yeah there's so much time between Wacky releases now that every time I try to update the thread I get this warning:

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

I guess I should find something to post every month or so just so it stays active.  Good thing WP 2015 is less than three weeks away!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 07:38:58 PM by Joe G. »

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2015, 12:26:20 PM »

Yeah there's so much time between Wacky releases now that every time I try to update the thread I get this warning:

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

When I get that message, I close my curtains and make sure all of my doors are locked       >(

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2015, 05:15:42 PM »
OK, so one of my Prowls was just listed (and sold) on eBay so, once again, I'm going to post the set.  I know it's old (school) news but I have to keep my thread current.  The one that sold is the first one on the page.  It's a pun, he's a cat burglar, get it?

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2015, 06:30:20 PM »
I think the second one is the Maltese Falcon?  8)

Note to everyone:  I'm really bad at historical facts, but a whiz at useless information and childhood cartoons, so if we ever have a trivia contest, pick me for your team!

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2015, 05:00:06 AM »
OK, so one of my Prowls was just listed (and sold) on eBay so, once again, I'm going to post the set.  I know it's old (school) news but I have to keep my thread current.  The one that sold is the first one on the page.  It's a pun, he's a cat burglar, get it?

Joe, These are super fun!!! Don't know how I missed 'em, but thanks for reposting!

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2015, 10:12:19 AM »

Is the 3rd one original Wacky art? Then more valuable than the Maltese Falcon?!!!  8) >:D ;D
Wish I'd pulled one of these! I'll be looking on ebay!
Alex

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2015, 10:29:01 AM »
Neil thanks for the kudos.  Paul and Alex, yes, the second is the Maltese Falcon and Prowl doesn't seem to happy about it.  Perhaps he doesn't know it's secret.  The third is what Mike Jasperson called the million dollar painting, the coveted Band Ache art.  Perhaps the only Saunders piece still in the Topps vault.  The 8th is a bit obscure but it's the map from King Kong showing the location of Skull Island.  I had done a couple more that Topps pulled due to copyright.  I did Colonel Sanders Secret Recipe, the Death Star Plans, Action Comics 1 and Mad Number 11 with the great Wolverton's cover.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 10:35:05 AM by Joe G. »

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2015, 11:39:06 AM »
Looks like members are getting their cases, so I'm going to post my paintings for this set with apologies for anyone who might be spoiled.  I couldn't figure out how to have them hidden in a post.  The cards are numbers 78 and 87.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2015, 09:36:18 AM »
So as I mentioned in an earlier post, I had a bunch of Old School 5 sketches I had to redo, some for copy-write and some because I changed the name of the original gag.  When I first did King O' Scare I thought I'd combine two of my favorite things from childhood, Monsters and drawing Mustaches on pictures from newspapers or magazines.  Topps told me these had all been pulled so I've kept the originals under wraps.  Well I just saw that an eBay auction had one listed, so I guess some made it through.  Since that's the case, I figure there's no harm in showing the set.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 11:44:58 AM by Joe G. »

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2015, 05:43:50 PM »
So as I mentioned in an earlier post, I had a bunch of Old School 5 sketches I had to redo, some for copy-write and some because I changed the name of the original gag.  When I first did King O' Scare I thought I'd combine two of my favorite things from childhood, Monsters and drawing Mustaches on pictures from newspapers or magazines.  Topps told me these had all been pulled so I've kept the originals under wraps.  Well I just saw that an eBay auction had one listed, so I guess some made it through.  Since that's the case, I figure there's no harm in showing the set.

Pretty cool Joe. Looks like you were waxing nostalgic... mustache waxing that is.    8)
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2015, 08:02:34 AM »
Scot, thanks and yes my hope is that mustache waxing will make a comeback! 

Offline quas

« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2015, 01:13:27 PM »

Joe, which ebay auction are you referring to?
Marc

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2015, 01:17:11 PM »
Marc it was one of Matt Stock's 4 card Olds 5 auctions.  I think it just ended.  Here's the link.  If you look at the sketch in the lower left corner you will see Count O' Scare:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Topps-Wacky-Packages-OLD-SCHOOL-5-OLDS5-OS5-Package-Take-4-Sketch-Card-/221827610382?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33a5f4b70e&nma=true&si=Jaydwhl4%252BC9EGsycsMidU01s5Pk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Offline quas

« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2015, 01:20:43 PM »
Marc it was one of Matt Stock's 4 card Olds 5 auctions.  I think it just ended.  Here's the link.  If you look at the sketch in the lower left corner you will see Count O' Scare:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Topps-Wacky-Packages-OLD-SCHOOL-5-OLDS5-OS5-Package-Take-4-Sketch-Card-/221827610382?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33a5f4b70e&nma=true&si=Jaydwhl4%252BC9EGsycsMidU01s5Pk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Thanks Joe, I would not have noticed that.  If any of the others were put into packs, at least one would probably have showed up by now, but on the other hand the sketch distribution in OLDS5 was so bad and non-randomized (i.e. they did a terrible job of mixing up the sketches) that it would not surprise me if someday the others started showing up in bunches.
Marc

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2015, 03:44:05 PM »
One more post on the subject of awesome mustaches.  The first forum member to identify this personal hero of mine will win a signed Wacky of any of the Wacky's I've painted or did the gag for.  Oh yeah, any except those pesky Bonus cards.  I don't have any extras of those.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2015, 03:53:27 PM »
I cheated using google reverse image search.
never tried that before, and worked perfect.
gave me a 'best guess', which was exactly right.
I'm off to read LRB's wiki page ...

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2015, 04:00:16 PM »
Patrick, LRB is correct!  The voice of the Beat Generation and inspiration for George Harrison's Cracker Box Palace, Lord Richard Buckley!  Just PM me your choice and it will be in the mail tomorrow.  For anyone who doesn't know Lord Buckley, look him up, he's a gem from the 1950s that help mold the 1960s!

Offline jg2000

« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2015, 05:17:57 PM »
Love this mashup!

As a sketch artists the blank return cards can pile up if you don't do them immediately.  Yesterday I decided to paint one up from way back in ANS 11.  It's electric slave shaving arise.  Robots and Zombies what could be better?

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2015, 05:23:16 PM »
Jon, thanks so much!  Also I was checking out some of your GPK 30th sketches on eBay and your work is fantastic!

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2015, 07:12:03 PM »

I love those! Why on earth did Topps give you a hard time, that's inspiration!! Glad they ended up in packs after all.  Wish I'd pulled one. I guess there are still more boxes to buy of course.  ;D

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2015, 07:51:19 PM »
I love those! Why on earth did Topps give you a hard time, that's inspiration!! Glad they ended up in packs after all.  Wish I'd pulled one. I guess there are still more boxes to buy of course.  ;D

Elizabeth, thanks so much for the kind words!  I really do try to find a unique approach when designing sketches.  In terms of the O' Scares I'll let you in on a little secret.  Before I found out that they had been pulled, I had painted up one as a return and that one I got to keep.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 08:07:54 AM by Joe G. »

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2015, 09:16:07 AM »
All right, here's my monthly post to try to keep this thread alive. As I had posted earlier, I always find an approach to unify my groups of sketches. For Olds 5 there were two sets in which I placed the character into gags from the series they came from. One was Bug Wally and the other Hippy Trash Bags. Here's the set.  See if you can guess the gags which each is based on!

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2015, 11:19:08 AM »
All right, here's my monthly post to try to keep this thread alive. As I had posted earlier, I always find an approach to unify my groups of sketches. For Olds 5 there were two sets in which I placed the character into gags from the series they came from. One was Bug Wally and the other Hippy Trash Bags. Here's the set.  See if you can guess the gags which each is based on!

going to the Oct Show - Philly Non-Sports Show?

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2015, 12:49:52 PM »
Joe, those sketches are awesome!  Great work!

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2015, 09:30:22 PM »
Paul, thanks. 

Like I did with the pic of Lord Buckley I'll award a signed card of any of my gags or painted Wackys to the first forum member who can identify all 9 Wackys from the Hippy sketches.  Just to give you a head start number 6 is Hippy as Hippy!  In terms of the signed card, you can pick from any of my 40 or so gags except the bonus cards.  You can PM or post whichever you prefer.  Good luck!

Offline quas

« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2015, 10:01:18 PM »
Paul, thanks. 

Like I did with the pic of Lord Buckley I'll award a signed card of any of my gags or painted Wackys to the first forum member who can identify all 9 Wackys from the Hippy sketches.  Just to give you a head start number 6 is Hippy as Hippy!  In terms of the signed card, you can pick from any of my 40 or so gags except the bonus cards.  You can PM or post whichever you prefer.  Good luck!

PM sent.
Marc

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2015, 08:15:58 PM »
Congrats to Marc Simon on naming all 9 series 14 gags the Hippy sketches are based on.  Your signed Catburgler Helper will soon be in the mail!

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2015, 04:35:39 PM »
Way to go Dr. Simon!

anything