Author Topic: Joe G.  (Read 50731 times)

Online Joe G.

Joe G.
« on: October 02, 2013, 09:53:03 PM »
I noticed a number of my sketch cards have started to show up on eBay so I thought it would be cool for me to post these here.  For ANS 11 I was able to draw cards of the 8 gags I contributed to the series.  These cards are based on my original roughs.  It was a fun series to work on and having my gags painted by Brent Engstrom, Matthew Kirscht and Pat Chaimuang was a real thrill.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 10:08:43 PM by Joe G. »

Offline Sam Gambino

• www.samgambino.com
Re: Joe G.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 10:17:33 PM »
Very cool work, Joe!  Excellent gags too....

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 11:05:29 PM »
I noticed a number of my sketch cards have started to show up on eBay so I thought it would be cool for me to post these here.  For ANS 11 I was able to draw cards of the 8 gags I contributed to the series.  These cards are based on my original roughs.  It was a fun series to work on and having my gags painted by Brent Engstrom, Matthew Kirscht and Pat Chaimuang was a real thrill.

Hey you did some of my favorites for ans11 - My Little Bony and Mobster High!
A

Offline MadMike

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 11:25:59 PM »
I love the sketches.  Keep up the great work.

Mike

Online Joe G.

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 08:19:46 AM »
Very cool work, Joe!  Excellent gags too....

Sam, thanks so much for the kudos.  Your paintings for the series, Spray Poupon and Crotch Bite are wonderful!  Can't wait to see what you have in store for the Halloween postcards!

Online Joe G.

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 08:34:10 AM »
Hey you did some of my favorites for ans11 - My Little Bony and Mobster High!
A

Alex, thanks, so glad you dug the gags.  Those are the first two I got accepted into the series.  Both had some tweaking from my original submission.  I originally based Mobster High on a bigger box set and on the Lagoona Blue character.  Topps wanted it more general and based on a long box set.  For My Little Bony my original gag was just a brittle pony skeleton and Topps wanted some references to a zombie pony.  Here take a look and see the tweaks.

Online Joe G.

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 08:37:32 AM »
I love the sketches.  Keep up the great work.

Mike

Mike, thanks so much.  It was a blast to be able to contribute sketches to an ANS series.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 09:54:53 AM »
I can see why the first mobster idea was scratched. Guns and high school are taboo :o

Online Joe G.

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 10:27:24 AM »
Brad, quite right.  I have to say my sensibility is still in the 70s when friends and I would have water gun fights in the halls of my high school!

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 11:40:19 AM »
I can see why the first mobster idea was scratched. Guns and high school are taboo :o
Nothing's left anymore except bathroom humor..... :-\

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 01:28:40 PM »
Nothing's left anymore except bathroom humor..... :-\

It really sucks too. There is so much they could do and avoid the shit jokes. I know they are aiming these for 6-12 year olds but this is crazy. I'm trying to think of any original series titles that dealt with poo. I can't think of any off the top. Yes, we had booze and tobacco....aw the good old days....

Offline jeffcaff

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 01:39:04 PM »
You can't make fun of overweight people anymore as well.  No more Bigtumi, My T-Fink, Fatina or Pounds stickers.  Bring back the alcohol and tobacco stickers !

Online Joe G.

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 01:56:11 PM »
Well since the subject has turned to scatalogical humor let me post this.  This was my original submission for the gag currently known as Sno-Craps.  See if you like it.

I'm still determined to get a monocle and top hat into one my gags.

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 02:02:51 PM »
I think I understand why it hit the chopping room floor,maybe next time
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Online Joe G.

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 02:18:37 PM »
Hey Lance, sorry I think you misunderstood.  Topps has already purchased the gag they just added poop to it.  I was just trying to make a point in regard to the scatalogical discussion.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 10:59:22 AM by Joe G. »

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 02:21:44 PM »
Hey Lance, sorry I think you misunderstood.  Topps has already purchased the gag they just added poop to it.  I was just trying to make a point in regard to the present discussion.
K          Fits right in for OLDS
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Online Joe G.

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2013, 11:10:19 PM »
As I mentioned in the ANS 11 Spoilers thread I like to group my sketches in threes.  So If you collect them, they fit nicely on one line of a 9 pocket page.  Here are the only monochrome sketches I did for the series.  Together they comprise the Frankenstein set.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2013, 05:01:35 AM »
As I mentioned in the ANS 11 Spoilers thread I like to group my sketches in threes.  So If you collect them, they fit nicely on one line of a 9 pocket page.  Here are the only monochrome sketches I did for the series.  Together they comprise the Frankenstein set.

You probably already know this, but I love themed subsets! Great work - and just in time for Halloween!

Online Joe G.

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2013, 09:31:24 AM »
You probably already know this, but I love themed subsets! Great work - and just in time for Halloween!

Neil, thanks so much for the feedback.  For ANS 11 I did three subsets.  One (staring contest) was included in the ANS 11 spoilers thread and the third is advertising ghosts based on the Gloo Berry sketch I did for the PC 9 regular edition sets.  Here's a pic:

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2013, 09:38:59 AM »
Neil, thanks so much for the feedback.  For ANS 11 I did three subsets.  One (staring contest) was included in the ANS 11 spoilers thread and the third is advertising ghosts based on the Gloo Berry sketch I did for the PC 9 regular edition sets.  Here's a pic:

"Spook-tacular" - Saturday Evening Ghost Art Reviewer 
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Online Joe G.

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2013, 09:45:30 AM »
Scot, thanks, that's the best review I've ever received and by such a noted periodical no less.

Online Joe G.

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2013, 12:11:25 PM »
In addition to Wacky Packages, I was fortunate to recently do a little work for Mike and Neil on the new Ugly Santa AOD cards.  In case people didn't know, the Topps Vault is getting together an eclectic and wonderful group of artists to work on these.  It includes many Wacky favorites and artists new to Topps.  If you haven't already, please check em out at the...

Topps Store:

http://entertainment.topps.com/shop-brands/artists-on-demand-store.html?limit=all

and The Topps Vault on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xartist+on+demand+&_nkw=artist+on+demand+&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2013, 01:16:53 PM »
Those are pretty fun.
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Online Joe G.

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2013, 01:18:44 PM »
Jason, thanks.  I think it's fantastic that Topps is giving classic cards a new life with the AOD sketches.

Online Joe G.

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2014, 08:03:37 PM »
I wanted to put in a plug for the most recent set of AOD sketches.  For January 2014 we have Hollywood Zombies.  Its the great of stage and screen as Zombies.  Currently on eBay there are a number for sale.  These include work by our very own Jason Brower and Dustin Graham as well as Chris Mason and Chad Scheres.  Please check 'em out and support our artists. 

Just to wet your appetite here's one I did that I call "BRAINS" KARLOFF.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2014, 09:21:45 PM »

Just to wet your appetite here's one I did that I call "BRAINS" KARLOFF.

Very nice combo!!!     

Online Joe G.

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2014, 09:41:03 PM »
Jean, thanks.  The match box was a last minute addition when I couldn't figure out to do with his right hand!

Online Joe G.

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2014, 04:09:19 PM »
I just checked and it looks like now our very own, Matthew Kirscht is listing his AOD cards on eBay.  If you haven't yet this is even more reason to check them out!

Online Joe G.

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2014, 05:21:55 PM »
I see that Vincenzo has been posting his wonderful returns but we can't let the youngsters have all the fun.  Here's a few of mine.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 05:35:34 PM by Joe G. »

Offline Chenduz

• Facebook
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2014, 05:54:17 PM »
Thank you very much Joe! But I got to say: What a SWEEEEET Mosquita card you've made! I got a looong way to go ;)

Keep them coming please!  :great:

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2014, 06:09:07 PM »
I see that Vincenzo has been posting his wonderful returns but we can't let the youngsters have all the fun.  Here's a few of mine.

Hey Joe, these are tons of fun (and really nicely drawn)! Thanks for sharing!

Online Joe G.

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2014, 06:50:01 PM »
Vincenzo and Neil, thanks so much for the kind words.  You guys Rock!

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2014, 08:03:18 PM »
Alex, thanks, so glad you dug the gags.  Those are the first two I got accepted into the series.  Both had some tweaking from my original submission.  I originally based Mobster High on a bigger box set and on the Lagoona Blue character.  Topps wanted it more general and based on a long box set.  For My Little Bony my original gag was just a brittle pony skeleton and Topps wanted some references to a zombie pony.  Here take a look and see the tweaks.

Joe, great work as always, my friend! 

Online Joe G.

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2014, 08:24:36 PM »
Paul, thanks so much.  I can"t wait to see your work in WP 2014!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 09:52:06 PM by Joe G. »

Online Joe G.

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2015, 12:00:11 PM »
As a sketch artists the blank return cards can pile up if you don't do them immediately.  Yesterday I decided to paint one up from way back in ANS 11.  It's electric slave shaving arise.  Robots and Zombies what could be better?