Author Topic: ANS11 Collecting Strategy  (Read 10642 times)

Offline DrDeal

ANS11 Collecting Strategy
« on: September 30, 2013, 02:31:15 PM »
You are right I was off by $100 on my estimate. I figure $260 for the binders and around $160 for 3 sets of Postcards.

For ANS11 I am good with the following items:
All base cards plus Rude Food and Coming Distractions. I am making my set b of base cards a combo of borders varies.
3 Lost Wackys,All Bonus cards.
1 example of:Gold card,Black Ludlow, Red Ludlow, Pencil Sketch, Coloring Card, Patch Card, Sketch, Cloth, Diecut, Comedian Auto, Magnet.

Andrew
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 06:34:19 PM by DrDeal »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: ANS11 Collecting Strategy
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 03:20:44 PM »
I moved Andrew's post to a new topic. I think it would be good for people to chime in on their ANS11 collecting strategy.
My goal for this series:
1. A & B back sets of base, red, canvas, distractions & food.
2. Set of die-cuts & pencil
3. All bonus, lost, magnets, coloring cards, & Patches
4. a couple examples of artist auto's and cloth. I don't care if I have any luds, golds, or printing plates. I have plenty of examples of those from previous series.

I will not be getting a set of silver or blue. It's just too much. I love the red and canvas. I'm even wondering why I would want to keep a base set. when the red looks so nice and the die-cuts are already black border. I may not even bother putting a base set in a binder. I think the Die-cuts will  do just fine! I think I just talked myself out of it while typing and then I don't have to sort the base stuff...LOL

Anyone need any base cards? I would work out a great deal!

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 05:35:23 PM »
My strategy is to not buy anything new from Topps ever again.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 05:56:30 PM »

Hey! You stole my strategy!

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 07:18:35 PM »
My strategy is to collect the base set and the bonus stickers, maybe the lost wackys. With series 10 I kept a black canvas, red, blue, silver, base, magnet and tattoo set, along with a gold, an autograph, a ludlow (both types) and a plate of my favorite title. I am fairly disillusioned by this set though, I am not sure if I am going to go for all of that.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 07:20:25 PM »

There are die cuts that are pretty cool!

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 12:43:25 PM »

I think you both stole MY strategy!   :0012398:

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 03:11:10 PM »
There are die cuts that are pretty cool!
There are 45 year old ones that are cooler.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 03:19:54 PM »
There are 45 year old ones that are cooler.

Agreed.  I've resisted pursuing those in nice shape though, because I'll never be able to afford them all.  I'm trying to remain content with my punched set.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 05:16:09 PM »
Agreed.  I've resisted pursuing those in nice shape though, because I'll never be able to afford them all.  I'm trying to remain content with my punched set.

I pulled a couple buybacks that aren't too bad if your interested. Nothing rare.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 05:30:29 PM »
I pulled a couple buybacks that aren't too bad if your interested. Nothing rare.
the few I've seen on ebay look like they are overall in better condition than the 1st series stickers that were in ANS10. were yours decent?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 07:49:11 PM »
the few I've seen on ebay look like they are overall in better condition than the 1st series stickers that were in ANS10. were yours decent?

I'll post a scan tomorrow. They are not too bad. One does have some back issues but overall the corners are fairly nice. They would probably get PSA6

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 03:36:56 AM »
There was a particularly nice looking Tied that sold on Monday.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 07:47:23 AM »
There was a particularly nice looking Tied that sold on Monday.

Here are my buyback scans. After scanning and really seeing them up close I would probably say PSA5

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 05:39:43 PM »
Now if there was a chance that they put an original Ratz or Cracked in these packs, that would almost make this series worth all this madness.

Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 06:11:19 PM »
I think it's interesting that it's one week after the new series was released and that there are still unknowns, the set is still being figured out. During the earlier runs of ANS it took everyone a couple of days to learn the parameters of the set and maybe a couple more days to obtain the whole thing, depending on distribution of bonus stuff. And within days of release folks were done and already asking when the next series was coming.

Judging by the way it is turned off some fans Topps may have gone too far, but injecting some mystery into ANS11 like unannounced rare back variations reminds me of when I was a kid, opening series 4 packs and finding titles replaced with no explanation.

Having said that, i don't go crazy collecting parallels and variations. I get annoyed when unique titles are hard to come by, like very limited bonus cards. My interest lies mainly in gags and art so I don't go after every parallel border set. (The black canvas cards are awesome though!)

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 03:10:46 AM »
Just saw Lost Wackys offered for $19.99.  WOW!  Crazy how the bottom has dropped out of resale on most items from this release compared to ANS10.

Andrew

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 10:31:24 AM »
Now if there was a chance that they put an original Ratz or Cracked in these packs, that would almost make this series worth all this madness.

To me it would definitely be worth it, For the opportunity to own either a Ratz (Which I've never had) Or a Cracked (Which I had many yrs. ago) Yes this series would be a lot more exciting with a shot at those 2.

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2013, 10:45:29 AM »
Just saw Lost Wackys offered for $19.99.  WOW!  Crazy how the bottom has dropped out of resale on most items from this release compared to ANS10.

Andrew

I guess a combination of factors are likely at play here. #1- cases were a lot cheaper this time so many more people pre-bought them, so they need to buy less on ebay, which results in plummeting prices. #2- A lot of people are finally realizing what prices will come down to a few months later and they are holding out (I held out for an ANS10 silver set and got one for $60). #3- Topps partially jumped the shark with ANS10, probably breaking a lot of people's bank accounts, and now with ANS11 they have completely jumped the shark.

Offline Soremel

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2013, 11:14:18 AM »
I guess a combination of factors are likely at play here. #1- cases were a lot cheaper this time so many more people pre-bought them, so they need to buy less on ebay, which results in plummeting prices. #2- A lot of people are finally realizing what prices will come down to a few months later and they are holding out (I held out for an ANS10 silver set and got one for $60). #3- Topps partially jumped the shark with ANS10, probably breaking a lot of people's bank accounts, and now with ANS11 they have completely jumped the shark.

The whole bank account thing is where it got me. I only bought a handful of ANS 10 packs and most likely will not buy any ANS 11. I may pick some of the stuff up via eBay or trades in the future, but my current priorities dictate that I not go crazy on WP releases right now.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2013, 11:25:17 AM »

I think they are just way over produced. Cases are dropping like rocks. I see Rob is selling a case for $315 and I got a message from another guy he got cases for $300 each. Blowout dropped their price to around $350. I'm betting Topps produced twice as many cases this time around. That is why there is so much chase stuff and double backs. This has turned into a total swill set in one week. That is pretty sad. Reminds me of ANS2 and ANS3 all over again. Way over produced.

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2013, 06:49:20 PM »

I second and third that!
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2013, 06:55:36 PM »
  This has turned into a total swill set in one week. That is pretty sad. Reminds me of ANS2 and ANS3 all over again. Way over produced.

ANS2 and ANS3 had respectable gags, or perhaps more apropos, no rotten apples to spoil the whole lot.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2013, 07:31:26 PM »
ANS2 and ANS3 had respectable gags, or perhaps more apropos, no rotten apples to spoil the whole lot.

What I meant is those series were way over produced therefor they are now considered swill. I agree they had great gags.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2013, 08:06:38 PM »

Damn, you really have a busted finger !
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2013, 05:04:05 AM »
Just finished my ANS11 Collecting. Ended up purchasing the bonus cards I needed when no trades surfaced. Cancelled my auctions on Pencil Sketches, Coloring Cards, Magnets and Black Luds as none were selling so I will keep them. I repacked all my extra cards in packs and put them in my Gravity Feed I got from Target. ANS11 is now shut down for me. I purchased 4 Collector Boxes and 20 Retail packs from Target. I managed to get 3 magnets and a nice sketch(D Graham Ghoul Humor) out of the 20 retail packs so I am pleased.  Waiting for my two Flunkies Return Sketches (Hamhose and Goody Goody) to come in from Matthew.That will be the highlight of ANS11 for me.

Andrew

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2013, 11:01:15 PM »
I am wrapping up what I am going to do for ANS11. I changed collecting goals a couple times from pre-release to now. I purchased one collector case, expecting to get similar results to what one case yielded in ANS10. I found I got quite a bit less chase items this time and thus had less to sell or to trade with. I also purchased several jumbo packs at Wal-mart to get Bonus cards for myself and to trade with. We have no local Target and I can usually find someone willing to trade Wal-mart Bonus cards for Target Bonus cards. Here is what I decided to go with overall on ANS11:

- Base stickers (black border): Went ahead and kept a 110 sticker set that included all back variations to have all the puzzles
  and coupons. etc.

- Canvas cards: These are the one border variation I really like so put together just one 55 card set.

- Red Border stickers: Was almost to a full set so traded to get the rest I needed (still looking for a #54) to put together
   one 55 card set.

- Coming Distraction cards: One black border and one red border set

- Rude Food: One black border and one red border set

- Blue border, Silver border, Gold border, Pencil Sketch, Die-Cuts, Black Ludlow, and Red Ludow variations: I placed these
  on my trade list as extras. I am keeping what I have in my binder but if they trade, they trade. Not trying to complete
  these sets or the back variations.

- Bonus Cards: Did buy and trade to get one of each Bonus Card

- Lost Wackies: Did buy and trade to get each of the 3. Got one in my case, traded for one and bought one. Looks like they
  are falling in price faster in ANS11 than they did in ANS10.

- Magnets: I am slowly putting together a set of all 10 magnets.

- Coloring Cards: Bought a set of these on ebay for $7 since I only pulled one out of the 6 jumbo packs I purchased.

- Patches: Got one in my case, but am not actively collecting the others. I am not that impressed with them and would have
  much rather had full sized, high quality embroidered patches. If the prices falls on these dramatically in about 6 months...
  we'll see what my interest is then.

- Bill Boards: I like the billboards but I cut them down (GASP!) to fit in currency 2 pocket binder pages that are a bit
  larger than the normal postcard pages. This allows me to leave about a 1/4 inch border around the artwork.

- Comedian Auto cards: Didn't get either in my case. Purchased both on ebay

- Uncut mini-sheets(Toys R Us exclusive) - I went ahead and picked up a set of these. It takes three packs to complete the
   72 card set and you can easily see the front and back sheets to get all three packs without duplicates. Each pack was
   $6.49 at  our local TRU. The full set includes 54 of the 55 base titles, all 9 Coming Distractions and all 9 Rude Food
   stickers. The BOOGERFINGERS title from the base set is not present.   

- Sketch cards: This time I am collecting one sketch from each artist and trying to spread across the 4 different types of
   sketch cards shapes.  I am down to needing one artist. Very nice sketch cards can be had at very reasonable prices. I
   think with all the other chase items in ASN11, the sketch cards were pretty much ignored at first.

- "Grand Slam,  Royal Flush": I decided to try and put together a run for one base title of all the different front and back variations available in ANS11. I looked at the chase items I got from my case and at which titles I really liked, and even took into consideration which artwork looked nice with the various borders before deciding on #26 Sno-Craps as the title to go for.  I know some people are not thrilled with all the potty humor in ANS11 but this title makes me laugh and who doesn't love Yetis. So I am currently three "cards" shy of this goal (one of the canvas back variations, one of the Artist Autograph back variations, and a printing plate). The printing plates seem extremely hard to find this time for whatever reason so getting one may not be doable, at least in my price range. I was fortunate in that this title is one of the few ANS11 titles that artists have done sketch cards for and was fortunate enough to get one. Another cool bonus, Joe Grossberg, the title gag originator posted information on the forum about his original suggested title, SNO-CHAPS, and posted the rough. Joe and I happened to do some trading and when he found out about the "Grand Slam, Royal Flush" quest, promised to contribute something to the cause. Its still in the mail and I am really looking forward to see what he came up with. 

- Cereal Boxes: It appears there will be mini cereal boxes released later for ANS11 like was the case with ANS10. I am sure I
  will pick these up when available.

aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2013, 06:01:07 AM »
Just finished my ANS11 Collecting. Ended up purchasing the bonus cards I needed when no trades surfaced. Cancelled my auctions on Pencil Sketches, Coloring Cards, Magnets and Black Luds as none were selling so I will keep them. I repacked all my extra cards in packs and put them in my Gravity Feed I got from Target. ANS11 is now shut down for me. I purchased 4 Collector Boxes and 20 Retail packs from Target. I managed to get 3 magnets and a nice sketch(D Graham Ghoul Humor) out of the 20 retail packs so I am pleased.  Waiting for my two Flunkies Return Sketches (Hamhose and Goody Goody) to come in from Matthew.That will be the highlight of ANS11 for me.

Andrew

I got lucky as well and pulled my 2nd Patch in 4 cases...not too bad...do love the patches. :] :]..I also agree the cloths and black canvas are slightly different in texture from ANS10...as is the color for the BLUE border - slightly darker on ANS11
Do love the ANS10 Blue's...

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2013, 07:49:36 AM »
Thanks Scot, I like to read on how people are collecting the new stuff. (as well as the original stuff)

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2013, 08:42:46 PM »
Target gave me a hard time this time around when I was trying to get the GF box. There was some bitchy lady who (you could tell) was just getting a kick out of telling me she couldn't. I explained to her that I've been getting the boxes there since 2003 and never was told no. She didn't care. Well, a couple of trips later, on a night she wasn't there, I checked out in a line where the cashier had no problem letting me have the box. Ha Ha, I win bitch!  :great: Some people just don't understand.

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2013, 08:05:20 AM »
Target gave me a hard time this time around when I was trying to get the GF box. There was some bitchy lady who (you could tell) was just getting a kick out of telling me she couldn't. I explained to her that I've been getting the boxes there since 2003 and never was told no. She didn't care. Well, a couple of trips later, on a night she wasn't there, I checked out in a line where the cashier had no problem letting me have the box. Ha Ha, I win bitch!  :great: Some people just don't understand.

Way to go!

Once I found a Beatles "Love" display card in those slots above the CD displays in Target, the ones that are like 5-6 inches high and maybe 2 feet long or so.  The thing is...it was behind the current display card; ie, no longer being used.  I took it to the register along with some other things I was buying and the young cashier asked this crabby old lady if it was ok to let me have the no-longer-being-used display card.  Of course she said no.  I even offered to buy it for a few dollars.  No.  I wish I had just rolled it up and stuffed it under my shirt.  You know the damn thing went into the garbage can.  Bunch of crabby old losers...take a chill pill!!

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2013, 04:04:15 PM »
Once a dentist who extracted a tooth refused to give it back to me.  Finally I got a note from this Rastafarian guy who told the dentist it was part of my religion to preserve my body parts so that they could be buried with me.  But really, I was just trying to keep the Dentist from making more dough by selling the tooth on ebay once they change their policy about selling human body parts.   And speaking of ebay....    http://www.ebay.com/itm/JAY-LYNCH-16-x20-Acrylic-painting-ORIGINAL-ART-Underground-comix-DEMON-DUO-/261311421944?ssPageName=ADME%3AL%3ALCA%3AUS%3A1123

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2013, 01:46:29 PM »
Way to go!

Once I found a Beatles "Love" display card in those slots above the CD displays in Target, the ones that are like 5-6 inches high and maybe 2 feet long or so.  The thing is...it was behind the current display card; ie, no longer being used.  I took it to the register along with some other things I was buying and the young cashier asked this crabby old lady if it was ok to let me have the no-longer-being-used display card.  Of course she said no.  I even offered to buy it for a few dollars.  No.  I wish I had just rolled it up and stuffed it under my shirt.  You know the damn thing went into the garbage can.  Bunch of crabby old losers...take a chill pill!!

Yes exactly. The thing is, that I had done it before so many times. Was there today and saw that same lady looking miserable & mean. You can just tell when people are taking delight in making you unhappy. It's sad that there are people like that.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2013, 01:48:04 PM »
Once a dentist who extracted a tooth refused to give it back to me.  Finally I got a note from this Rastafarian guy who told the dentist it was part of my religion to preserve my body parts so that they could be buried with me.  But really, I was just trying to keep the Dentist from making more dough by selling the tooth on ebay once they change their policy about selling human body parts.   And speaking of ebay....    http://www.ebay.com/itm/JAY-LYNCH-16-x20-Acrylic-painting-ORIGINAL-ART-Underground-comix-DEMON-DUO-/261311421944?ssPageName=ADME%3AL%3ALCA%3AUS%3A1123

I had a dentist deny giving me back my tooth before as well. Told me some bull like he had to send it out to be tested or some crap like that. I was like, it's MY tooth from MY body! What the hell is that?

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2013, 04:53:08 PM »
I had a dentist deny giving me back my tooth before as well. Told me some bull like he had to send it out to be tested or some crap like that. I was like, it's MY tooth from MY body! What the hell is that?

Maybe your dentist has a use for the teeth. According to Stephen Colbert, The Tooth Fairy takes children's teeth to put inside maracas.