Author Topic: How many Old School Boxes did you buy from Topps?  (Read 55426 times)

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
Re: How many Old School Boxes did you buy from Topps?
« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2010, 12:23:01 PM »
Plan,

This certainly seems to be the way things are treated.  Go to any comic convention and folks are doing sketches of characters owned by Marvel and DC, and some have even gone so far as to do cover re-creations.   That said, I'd GUESS that under the law, Marvel or DC or any rights holder could technically swoop down and stop people from making money using their property.   

The way it's typically treated (meaning, no one seems to care) would make one think it falls under fair use... but under the law I'll bet once it's on paper, and you've sold it to someone else, you've TECHNICALLY crossed the line.  Or maybe it's like a cover band and a live performance.  Though, unlike a drawing, a live performance is temporary... a drawing is not. 

Not that it really matters, as whether it's technically legal or not - no one is going to go after Jay or any other artist, for selling drawings of whatever they like.   Still, I'd be curious to know how the law defines these things. 

You're right that it's not technically legal.

And when bands play cover songs, there is a fee. It's normally paid by the venue owners. They pay yearly fees to ASCAP, BMI, and SESAC, the 3 major music publishing companies, so bands can play cover songs.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2010, 09:00:16 AM »
I think the legality of drawing Wacky characters is like any other re-creation. As long as you're selling the original drawing it's legal. As soon as you reprint it, copyright law steps in. I could legally repaint Ajerx 100 times and sell them as long as I don't publish them.

You are saying Topps doesn't own the likeness of these characters hence you are allowed to paint or draw in effect the same characters and profit from it?  This doesn't sound right to me.  If you are correct, this is great news.  I know many local artists who I would love to take a crack and drawing and painting characters and I will flip all their work on ebay for very low prices.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2010, 10:42:53 AM »
I think the legality of drawing Wacky characters is like any other re-creation. As long as you're selling the original drawing it's legal. As soon as you reprint it, copyright law steps in. I could legally repaint Ajerx 100 times and sell them as long as I don't publish them.

That is not right. It's technically illegal to draw and sell any of them if the copyright holder doesn't allow it. There was a daycare center somewhere that had painted Disney characters on it's walls and Disney put the hammer to them. They weren't even selling a piece of art and there is no way to actually establish a value to the murals or images as they relate to any possible benefit in terms of profit by the center having them on their walls. Kinko's won't even let me make photo copies of the work I do for Topps unless I do it on a self-serve machine as they consider it copyright violation (yeah, they are idiots).

I know fine artists have used copyrighted images or characters. The Campbell's Soup can by Warhol is the obvious first one to come to mind. That is the blurry example of not just recreating the actual image but transcending it and creating an all new work of art from it. I would guess that Campbell's could have sued but the benefits of the fame of the pieces probably were greater than not allowing it. Artist's do seem to have some leeway with taking (some) copyrighted materials and making statements on them or altering them beyond the original intent or visual. Parody is one of them.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2010, 02:06:26 PM »
That is not right. It's technically illegal to draw and sell any of them if the copyright holder doesn't allow it. There was a daycare center somewhere that had painted Disney characters on it's walls and Disney put the hammer to them. They weren't even selling a piece of art and there is no way to actually establish a value to the murals or images as they relate to any possible benefit in terms of profit by the center having them on their walls. Kinko's won't even let me make photo copies of the work I do for Topps unless I do it on a self-serve machine as they consider it copyright violation (yeah, they are idiots).

I know fine artists have used copyrighted images or characters. The Campbell's Soup can by Warhol is the obvious first one to come to mind. That is the blurry example of not just recreating the actual image but transcending it and creating an all new work of art from it. I would guess that Campbell's could have sued but the benefits of the fame of the pieces probably were greater than not allowing it. Artist's do seem to have some leeway with taking (some) copyrighted materials and making statements on them or altering them beyond the original intent or visual. Parody is one of them.
I don't know what the legality of repainting something is. I've heard rumor that it's legal to sell a replica if it's completely made my the artists hand. The issue of Disney busting those kids heads open because of the mural may not have been a case of infringement, but it just goes to show you better not fuck with Disney. An artist needs to consider the aggressive nature of the copyright owner before messing with them. That's simple street smarts. Size up your opponent before picking a fight. The Disney Company now looks like a greedy rabid dog so nobody will fuck with them anymore.

Here's a guy who appears to be flirting with career suicide. He's most famous for the pregnant Britney Spears statue. http://www.caplakesting.com/danedwards/index.htm

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2010, 05:43:39 PM »
I don't know what the legality of repainting something is. I've heard rumor that it's legal to sell a replica if it's completely made my the artists hand. The issue of Disney busting those kids heads open because of the mural may not have been a case of infringement, but it just goes to show you better not fuck with Disney. An artist needs to consider the aggressive nature of the copyright owner before messing with them. That's simple street smarts. Size up your opponent before picking a fight. The Disney Company now looks like a greedy rabid dog so nobody will fuck with them anymore.

Here's a guy who appears to be flirting with career suicide. He's most famous for the pregnant Britney Spears statue. http://www.caplakesting.com/danedwards/index.htm

You can't replicate a copyrighted or trademarked image and sell it. The copyright owner generally has the exclusive right to reproduce, display publicly or sell the image.

But that sculptor can probably argue that his work "transcends" and is art unto itself. Also, if he's sued it may bring even more attention to his work which those public figures might not appreciate. Well, Britney might.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #75 on: May 22, 2010, 06:07:44 PM »
You can't replicate a copyrighted or trademarked image and sell it. The copyright owner generally has the exclusive right to reproduce, display publicly or sell the image.

But that sculptor can probably argue that his work "transcends" and is art unto itself. Also, if he's sued it may bring even more attention to his work which those public figures might not appreciate. Well, Britney might.

I've seen you use trademarked/copyrighted characters in your comics from time to time. How does that work? Do you have to get permission, or is it considered parody?
By the way, that Gumby one from your daily calendar the other day was pretty funny :)

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2010, 06:14:08 PM »
I preordered 4 boxes and later bought 2 more. 6 boxes total. Pulled Hungry Jerk, Gadzooka Teacher, Kook Penguin and Demented Tomatoe. All black & whites. 2 boxes are unopened.

Whats our total now?
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2010, 07:40:29 PM »
I've seen you use trademarked/copyrighted characters in your comics from time to time. How does that work? Do you have to get permission, or is it considered parody?
By the way, that Gumby one from your daily calendar the other day was pretty funny :)

They are supposed to be parodies but I'd rather not test the legality of it as parodies can be tough to define. But I would never use that Gumby parody, or any similar ones, on shirts, mugs or greeting cards. I always feel safer if I parody a character and I know the cartoonist.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2010, 09:37:38 PM »
I preordered 4 boxes and later bought 2 more. 6 boxes total. Pulled Hungry Jerk, Gadzooka Teacher, Kook Penguin and Demented Tomatoe. All black & whites. 2 boxes are unopened.

Whats our total now?

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2010, 12:48:39 AM »

Whats our total now?
That's close to how I bought mine...I "Pre-Ordered" (4) then for no reason ordered (1) more, than bought (2) more at the show for a "Grand-Total" of (7) But do'nt count these Brad I already chimed in earlier.
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2010, 07:53:56 AM »
They are supposed to be parodies but I'd rather not test the legality of it as parodies can be tough to define. But I would never use that Gumby parody, or any similar ones, on shirts, mugs or greeting cards. I always feel safer if I parody a character and I know the cartoonist.

Yeah, parodies sometimes can be vague. Like when someone says something to you that seems "off" and you ask them shockingly "what?" Then they use the ol parody disclaimer, I was just kidding. Some folks mix up being f'd up with being funny. Now that's funny. Amusing funny, not like a clown ;D

Offline kingsx

« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2010, 06:54:15 PM »
I bought one box.  Made one set and left enough sealed packs to cover one layer in my display box.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2010, 09:17:04 PM »
I bought one box.  Made one set and left enough sealed packs to cover one layer in my display box.
Nothing wrong with that...What did you think of the "Old School" series itself? :^) Just curious ???

Offline kingsx

« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2010, 06:44:23 AM »
Nothing wrong with that...What did you think of the "Old School" series itself? :^) Just curious ???

love the classic feel (white backs, no numbers).  fruit stripped is probably my favorite.  best part is the display box!

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #84 on: May 31, 2010, 10:58:32 AM »
love the classic feel (white backs, no numbers).  fruit stripped is probably my favorite.  best part is the display box!
Same here, I think the (Box) is quite awesome also! :o

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2010, 09:08:45 PM »
Same here, I think the (Box) is quite awesome also! :o

Ditto. The cutout display top portion really is a nice touch, and takes me back.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2010, 09:19:09 PM »
Got mines on display with the cut out popped and propped up. Filled with the wrappers, looks really nice.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #87 on: June 02, 2010, 10:41:28 AM »
It is kinda sad they ran out of boxes. Looking for sketch cards was really fun. I never did keep any of the boxes sealed. I just kept thinking the next one will have a color sketch :D
I won't pay $100+ for a box so i may never have a sealed box. I did retain about 10 opened boxes for my collection.

Offline Buzzooka

« Reply #88 on: June 03, 2010, 09:32:31 AM »
I got 8 boxes. Only opened 3.

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2010, 07:09:08 AM »

You still have 5 unoponed boxes?  Man, that is some willpower.  Let me know if you are interested in letting any of them go!
Still looking for Series 17

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #90 on: June 04, 2010, 08:05:13 AM »
You still have 5 unoponed boxes?  Man, that is some willpower.  Let me know if you are interested in letting any of them go!

I have about 10 unopended...due to my laziness...I have cases sitting on top of the box with the WOS I in it and I never get around to taking them off ...I might be interested in selling a few @ the right price...if someone will help me take off the top cases - they're heavy.. ;D

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #91 on: June 04, 2010, 09:18:42 AM »
I agree!  It's especially tough after you've experienced the thrill of peeking into the red envelope and moving the promo aside, and glimpsing color on the sketch card!!!   :o

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2010, 07:17:03 PM »
I agree!  It's especially tough after you've experienced the thrill of peeking into the red envelope and moving the promo aside, and glimpsing color on the sketch card!!!   :o

Unfortunately, that is a thrill i have yet to achieve!  And since I am out of boxes, it is not likely that I will know it either.
Still looking for Series 17

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #93 on: June 05, 2010, 06:07:17 PM »

1466 + 8 Buzzoka's boxes = 1474 is our new forum members total boxes bought

Taz

« Reply #94 on: June 05, 2010, 06:27:05 PM »
1466 + 8 Buzzoka's boxes = 1474 is our new forum members total boxes bought

Jeff I never chimmed in on this, I purchased 6 so your tally should total 1480.

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #95 on: June 05, 2010, 09:40:58 PM »
Jeff I never chimmed in on this, I purchased 6 so your tally should total 1480.

I bought 4 boxes and opened them.

Offline bigfoot67

« Reply #96 on: June 10, 2010, 09:43:41 PM »
I preordered 4 boxs and have managed to keep one closed thus far!  :P
FOLLOW ME, I'LL BE RIGHT BEHIND YOU!

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #97 on: June 10, 2010, 10:17:53 PM »
Incredible avitar!!! :o "Eddie" ROCKS!!! 8)

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #98 on: June 11, 2010, 06:33:59 AM »

OMG! That avatar is so cool!
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #99 on: June 11, 2010, 06:36:16 AM »
Incredible avitar!!! :o "Eddie" ROCKS!!! 8)

I see Ron agrees!
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #100 on: June 11, 2010, 02:49:19 PM »

[/quote]I purchased 23 OLDS boxes altogether and 20 are unopened
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #101 on: June 11, 2010, 04:55:25 PM »
I purchased 23 OLDS boxes altogether and 20 are unopened
Although I appreciate your enthusiasm, what is your plan or reasoning?
Do you need me to send you a razor knife?  :D

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #102 on: June 11, 2010, 07:54:32 PM »
I purchased 23 OLDS boxes altogether and 20 are unopened

Dude!  WTF?
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #103 on: June 12, 2010, 12:37:23 AM »
Quote from: Dr Popper link=topic=314.msg7909#msg7909 date=
Dude!  WTF?

Exactly!

Offline weirdo1

« Reply #104 on: June 12, 2010, 07:09:18 PM »
Dude!  WTF?

From somebody who has a quantity of unopened boxes I say---$100 - $115 per :o that's WTF!    ;D

anything