Author Topic: Non Sport Update Price Guide 1999 - A flash from the past!  (Read 3390 times)

Offline 70s_Kid

Non Sport Update Price Guide 1999 - A flash from the past!
« on: September 13, 2013, 05:41:25 PM »
I was recently going through a couple boxes in one of my closets and came across a price guide from 1999 published by Non Sport Update (Roxanne Toser fame).  Wow!  That's all I can say.  The following sets and prices are for MINT condition cards (appear to be new)  according to the guide:

1967 Die cut set 1-44 (minus Ratz/Cracked) $275
1969 Wacky Ad Series w/o #25 $150
1973 1st series white backed set $200
14th series set $85
15th $95
16th $100

Wow...  I will buy anyone's MINT sets (do they even exist?) at those prices all day long!  She lists some of the middle sets pretty close to what they may go for today in say EX condition, but definitely not in MINT.  I have to be honest though, I don't remember those sets going for anything near that low back then... :o

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
Re: Non Sport Update Price Guide 1999 - A flash from the past!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 04:42:36 AM »
That price guide was way off when published.  However, it was very useful to me for info and checklists, and picking up that guide kick started me into searching ebay for Wackys on a regular basis.  I photocopied the checklist pages for all 16 sticker sets and the posters, and marked them up with what I had from my childhood and some earlier acquisitions, and then went to work.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 05:18:10 AM »
Yeah, I always felt such inaccurate pricing did a real disservice to dealers who knew nothing about wackys. I got the 1st series set that produced most of my keepers for $200 when it was worth at least $600 as a direct result. And that bogus pricing probably continues in NSU to this day.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 05:36:43 AM »
Yeah, I always felt such inaccurate pricing did a real disservice to dealers who knew nothing about wackys. I got the 1st series set that produced most of my keepers for $200 when it was worth at least $600 as a direct result. And that bogus pricing probably continues in NSU to this day.

I don't think I benefited much from the lowball pricing.  I paid $500 for my series 1 set, which is so sharp I'd like you to take a look at it someday.  Paid the same for my 16th set, from the same seller.  Both included nice puzzles.

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 05:54:38 AM »
That price guide was way off when published.  However, it was very useful to me for info and checklists, and picking up that guide kick started me into searching ebay for Wackys on a regular basis.  I photocopied the checklist pages for all 16 sticker sets and the posters, and marked them up with what I had from my childhood and some earlier acquisitions, and then went to work.

PM sent...

anything