Author Topic: Future of Wacky Sketches?!?  (Read 6589 times)

Offline lucidjc

Future of Wacky Sketches?!?
« on: September 12, 2013, 06:06:06 PM »
PC 9 RE       - $39.95
Shipping      - $06.18
Tax            - $03.69
                   --------
Total             $49.82

Getting a FANTASTIC FULL COLOR sketch on E-bay for $21.50 Without having to deal with FLOPPS...PRICELESS!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wacky-Packages-Postcards-Series-9-Birds-Sticker-Sketch-Dustin-Graham-FULL-COLOR-/380713201624?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58a4466fd8

Is this the future of sketches? Full colors for $20 ???

Offline Kook

Re: Future of Wacky Sketches?!?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 06:38:50 PM »
PC 9 RE       - $39.95
Shipping      - $06.18
Tax            - $03.69
                   --------
Total             $49.82

Getting a FANTASTIC FULL COLOR sketch on E-bay for $21.50 Without having to deal with FLOPPS...PRICELESS!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wacky-Packages-Postcards-Series-9-Birds-Sticker-Sketch-Dustin-Graham-FULL-COLOR-/380713201624?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58a4466fd8

Is this the future of sketches? Full colors for $20 ???

As much as I enjoy seeing nice sketches, there are just so many of them out there, that I think this will be the trend (prices dropping like stones). Even super nice b&w sketches that used to command prices well over $100 are now lucky to get half that. With each new release, (postcard, olds, ans, comic etc...) all sketch cards seem to decrease in value. There must be 30,000 plus sketch cards floating around out there from all releases. Too many for the market to absorb, even if the rate of really nice sketch to 2 minute doodle sketch is 1 in 3 or 1 in 4.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 09:18:13 PM »
I'm actually for it. I love great sketches and would love to grab them at great prices. The problem is if its really nice it will get a respectable price but there hasn't been many in the last few months. On the other hand if I want to sell a sketch I have a pretty good idea what it will sell for and so a lot of times I opt to not to sell even though I may have two of the same variation. It's just not worth it. That is why we need artists to mix it up a bit. If you do 50 of the same sketch then it's not unique.

I know there are several OLDS4 boxes still at Topps but the sketch collectors are afraid to touch them with so many subpar sketches with the series. This is another example of people will only pay for good stuff. I think Topps may understand after this, if not then the next series will fail bad. I've heard rumors that the artists have been paid peanuts for sketch cards (actually it was one of our non-regular sketch artists). If that trend continues with Topps then we all lose interest. It's not fair to the great artists we have here on the forum and its sad.

Offline Kook

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 07:04:40 AM »
I'm actually for it. I love great sketches and would love to grab them at great prices. The problem is if its really nice it will get a respectable price but there hasn't been many in the last few months. On the other hand if I want to sell a sketch I have a pretty good idea what it will sell for and so a lot of times I opt to not to sell even though I may have two of the same variation. It's just not worth it. That is why we need artists to mix it up a bit. If you do 50 of the same sketch then it's not unique.

I know there are several OLDS4 boxes still at Topps but the sketch collectors are afraid to touch them with so many subpar sketches with the series. This is another example of people will only pay for good stuff. I think Topps may understand after this, if not then the next series will fail bad. I've heard rumors that the artists have been paid peanuts for sketch cards (actually it was one of our non-regular sketch artists). If that trend continues with Topps then we all lose interest. It's not fair to the great artists we have here on the forum and its sad.

I find that it is good on one hand that I can get a nice sketch for a reasonable price. On the other hand, when you buy a product directly from topps, the chances of getting a sketch at the break even point are becoming less & less. Most sketches won't get you anywhere close. Then the issue becomes - buy from topps & get burned, or buy on ebay, spend the same or less money & get exactly what you want. If everyone opts for that choice, it becomes a stalemate because no one wants to take the hit by buying from topps, so the product sits. I wonder if that's the reason for the extended delay of olds5... It's how I am feeling about this binder release too. Seeing the binders sell for $50 for the set & the puzzle prices all over the place while topps is charging $260 makes it a tough choice for me even though I already have $520 into half the set.

Most people aren't in the hobby to flip, or as a business, but economics does play a role, because the value you can get for a sketch determines the amount of currency you can use to "trade" (in cash or wackys) to get the title, artist or design you want for your collection. Although I appreciate the nice sketches, I have long since lost interest in the sketch game since there are just too many of them & they lost that unique & rare quality they seemed to have when they were just in the small postcard releases & the initial, pre "blue-line" glut of olds2. it's kind of ironic that when the color sketches were commanding $1,000 prices, many (myself included at the time) yearned for the reasonably priced color sketch. Now that it's here, I probably couldn't care less.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 07:08:02 AM by Kook »

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 11:33:51 AM »
I find that it is good on one hand that I can get a nice sketch for a reasonable price. On the other hand, when you buy a product directly from topps, the chances of getting a sketch at the break even point are becoming less & less. Most sketches won't get you anywhere close. Then the issue becomes - buy from topps & get burned, or buy on ebay, spend the same or less money & get exactly what you want. If everyone opts for that choice, it becomes a stalemate because no one wants to take the hit by buying from topps, so the product sits. I wonder if that's the reason for the extended delay of olds5... It's how I am feeling about this binder release too. Seeing the binders sell for $50 for the set & the puzzle prices all over the place while topps is charging $260 makes it a tough choice for me even though I already have $520 into half the set.

Most people aren't in the hobby to flip, or as a business, but economics does play a role, because the value you can get for a sketch determines the amount of currency you can use to "trade" (in cash or wackys) to get the title, artist or design you want for your collection. Although I appreciate the nice sketches, I have long since lost interest in the sketch game since there are just too many of them & they lost that unique & rare quality they seemed to have when they were just in the small postcard releases & the initial, pre "blue-line" glut of olds2. it's kind of ironic that when the color sketches were commanding $1,000 prices, many (myself included at the time) yearned for the reasonably priced color sketch. Now that it's here, I probably couldn't care less.

Really well said.

I have my modest collection of sketches "arranged" in groups that I enjoy looking at (been trying to get a good photo of these to show you guys). They are all from the time period where I was enjoying collecting them.

Have a feeling the really good ones will always be a higher priced item but people are burned out now. The last postcard release with the RE sketch cards really did it for me.

I had one of the comic sketches for Halloween and April Fool's and enjoyed picking up one of the Holiday and Ground Hog's Day on ebay. Those were the last ones for me. I may still go for Halloween this year but am done with the rest for now.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 02:28:17 PM »

I have my modest collection of sketches "arranged" in groups that I enjoy looking at (been trying to get a good photo of these to show you guys).

Still wanting to see your "Sketch Groupings" Wayne         :great:

Offline Go_Bum

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 11:51:33 PM »
I see that Leslie is trying to unload a bunch of colored sketches on ebay, is this the death knell for the wacky sketch market?  :o
 It's interesting though to see such a quick decline in demand. There are color sketches selling for peanuts, and some of the artists are getting squat for their returns.

Check out this Brower sketch that sold for $11.64

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Wacky-Packages-ANS-11-Shaped-Sketch-GORMEL-Jason-Brower-1-1-Original-Art-/291007706702?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=0BjXb2zjEcvjynRNy0HMH2H%252BeXQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

This one really surprised me though. I know ajerx has been done quite a bit but $58?,  this sketch was gorgeous.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Topps-ANS-11-Wacky-Packages-AJERX-return-SKETCH-card-by-Dustin-Graham-/251368645740?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=0BjXb2zjEcvjynRNy0HMH2H%252BeXQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Offline HENRY.R

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 01:10:15 AM »
Glad to hear more comments about how sad its going on with sketches,just lee than two years ago a sketch (ajerxs)  like the one you mentioned would fetch at least $500 up to at least $700 not only sketches are going downhill,golds are selling for avg. $20 & even other series like original 1967 diecards are dropping in value too,I started to see this when ans9 came out with only one bonus card & the end of blister packs & start of the jumbo packs which only made pack searchers dream come true, then series10 the end of bonus boxes,me myself would drive for hours hitting all stores that carried bonus boxes,the thrill opening bonus boxes,having a legit chance pulling a sketch or gold,but with jumbo packs,chances now are very rare,no use of driving around looking for them no more,Topps need to bring back blister packs,bonus boxes & whatever happen to PCM cards,they just stopped,topps need to get back on track or ans12 might be their last hooray for awhile. just my opinion. :'( :'(   

Offline Kook

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 06:50:09 AM »
I see that Leslie is trying to unload a bunch of colored sketches on ebay, is this the death knell for the wacky sketch market?  :o
 It's interesting though to see such a quick decline in demand. There are color sketches selling for peanuts, and some of the artists are getting squat for their returns.

Check out this Brower sketch that sold for $11.64

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Wacky-Packages-ANS-11-Shaped-Sketch-GORMEL-Jason-Brower-1-1-Original-Art-/291007706702?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=0BjXb2zjEcvjynRNy0HMH2H%252BeXQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

This one really surprised me though. I know ajerx has been done quite a bit but $58?,  this sketch was gorgeous.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Topps-ANS-11-Wacky-Packages-AJERX-return-SKETCH-card-by-Dustin-Graham-/251368645740?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=0BjXb2zjEcvjynRNy0HMH2H%252BeXQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I saw Leslie's auction for the olds1 sketches. Beautiful sketches, and the $10k would have been a bargain about 2 years ago, since she probably paid $15k to $20k for them. I think she will be lucky to get about $2k to $3k for them if she can find a buyer. She also has a bunch of nice single color sketch auctions as well.

It is sad to see what happened to the sketch market over the last couple of years with the saturation. What used to be rare & unique is now so prevalent that very few really care anymore. I think there are just so many sketches out there that the sketch market is doomed going forward.

Offline Shrunken Donuts

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 07:00:32 AM »
Most people aren't in the hobby to flip, or as a business, but economics does play a role...

I think this line sums it up best.  Who wants to pay $60 for a box, only to have all the contents of that box be worth $15-$20 down the road?  Sure, most people are in it for the fun of collecting, but it's frustrating to know that you're going to be taking a huge hit should you want to or need to sell something.  Makes you think twice before buying these brand new items.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 09:28:56 AM »
I saw Leslie's auction for the olds1 sketches. Beautiful sketches, and the $10k would have been a bargain about 2 years ago, since she probably paid $15k to $20k for them. I think she will be lucky to get about $2k to $3k for them if she can find a buyer. She also has a bunch of nice single color sketch auctions as well.

It is sad to see what happened to the sketch market over the last couple of years with the saturation. What used to be rare & unique is now so prevalent that very few really care anymore. I think there are just so many sketches out there that the sketch market is doomed going forward.

I just saw the auction and they are all really nice. There were only around 54 color sketches in OLDS1 so these should be worth this asking price but sadly it won't even come close.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 10:49:43 AM »

I assume this sketch will fetch more than 55 cents when the auction ends in a couple of hours. I haven’t used eBay in a decade. Is sniping still popular?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Wacky-Packages-Burpsi-Cola-Sketch-Card-1-1-/350923877472?pt=US_Football&hash=item51b4b16c60

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 10:57:27 AM »
I just saw the auction and they are all really nice. There were only around 54 color sketches in OLDS1 so these should be worth this asking price but sadly it won't even come close.

I believe we were told there were exactly 50 out of 5,000.  They were going for at least $1,000 when they came out.  My favorite is still the unique nitwit on the light green background.

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2013, 11:06:58 AM »
I assume this sketch will fetch more than 55 cents when the auction ends in a couple of hours. I haven’t used eBay in a decade. Is sniping still popular?

(Image removed from quote.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Wacky-Packages-Burpsi-Cola-Sketch-Card-1-1-/350923877472?pt=US_Football&hash=item51b4b16c60

A lot of people do still snipe, so that's certainly a possibility here.

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2013, 05:24:49 PM »
Glad to hear more comments about how sad its going on with sketches,just lee than two years ago a sketch (ajerxs)  like the one you mentioned would fetch at least $500 up to at least $700 not only sketches are going downhill,golds are selling for avg. $20 & even other series like original 1967 diecards are dropping in value too,I started to see this when ans9 came out with only one bonus card & the end of blister packs & start of the jumbo packs which only made pack searchers dream come true, then series10 the end of bonus boxes,me myself would drive for hours hitting all stores that carried bonus boxes,the thrill opening bonus boxes,having a legit chance pulling a sketch or gold,but with jumbo packs,chances now are very rare,no use of driving around looking for them no more,Topps need to bring back blister packs,bonus boxes & whatever happen to PCM cards,they just stopped,topps need to get back on track or ans12 might be their last hooray for awhile. just my opinion. :'( :'(   

I agree with you. IMO ANS12 could very well be the last mainstream Wacky series for a good long time. I wonder if it's possible for them to just go back to the way Wackys were with AnS1-AnS6?

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2013, 05:29:09 PM »
I believe we were told there were exactly 50 out of 5,000.  They were going for at least $1,000 when they came out.  My favorite is still the unique nitwit on the light green background.

One of the Pupsis sold for over $2000. Leslie did pull a lot of these sketches out of boxes but those boxes cost her a lot of money too. The sketch and Wacky market appear to be in big trouble due to over saturation. Topps loading up series 10 and 11 really sped this along.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2013, 05:35:35 PM »
I agree with you. IMO ANS12 could very well be the last mainstream Wacky series for a good long time. I wonder if it's possible for them to just go back to the way Wackys were with AnS1-AnS6?

I don't follow garbage pail kids very closely but didn't Topps kinda simplify BNS3 after BNS2? Perhaps I am confusing BNS2 with the recent Chrome release of original series titles. Seemed like I was seeing more chase sets with BNS2 than BNS3. Any GPK fanatics out there?
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2013, 05:47:30 PM »
Scot, from what I've seen Garbage Pail Kids are now hotter than Wacky's.  I think the Garbage Pail fans are now hitting their 40's and are being bit by the nostalgia bug. 

Offline Porkie

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2013, 07:49:26 PM »
What is Leslie's ebay id?

After doing a casual search of Wacky color sketches on ebay one thing struck me: the color sketches (and most of the sketches in general) seemed more interesting in that "sweet spot" time period when they were in higher demand. I only saw a couple of the 200 I skimmed through that I would actually want, regardless of price, whereas during that sweet spot period most of them were nicer imo. I look at my small collection and I am not seeing the same quality overall - maybe this is my imagination, but whatever it is, I definitely see a difference.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2013, 03:45:46 PM »
What is Leslie's ebay id?
sportzfreak89

Here's the color sketch auction being referred to: eBay auction: #141118273810

Offline Porkie

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2013, 04:56:23 PM »
sportzfreak89

Here's the color sketch auction being referred to: eBay auction: #141118273810

Thanks!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2014, 08:31:51 AM »
Sorry to bring up such an old topic. Leslie is still dumping her sketches. I just got these for $50 each. Do you guys have any idea how much these would have gone for back in the day? I'm thinking close to 10X that because these are color combo's.

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2014, 09:47:29 AM »
Yeah, I've been contemplating just lurking on eBay and snagging cheap sketches that catch my eye. There's always a few it seems!

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2014, 12:20:18 PM »
The further mine get away from the topic of Wackys or GPKs, the more they go for these days, I think.    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Topps-Wacky-Packages-Old-School-Series-1-JAY-LYNCH-B-W-Sketch-Card-1-1-/281502208244?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418ad6d0f4

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2014, 12:39:46 PM »
The further mine get away from the topic of Wackys or GPKs, the more they go for these days, I think.    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Topps-Wacky-Packages-Old-School-Series-1-JAY-LYNCH-B-W-Sketch-Card-1-1-/281502208244?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418ad6d0f4

It's because it's really tough to pull. I had a snipe of $300 but it didn't even have a chance.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2014, 12:59:12 PM »
That and it's a wonderful illustration documenting a momentous moment in Wacky history, Jay's 3500 Olds 1 sketches.  Did anyone ever think to contact Guinness about that one?