Author Topic: Old School reviews  (Read 15537 times)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
Old School reviews
« on: May 13, 2010, 02:59:21 PM »
I think a thread reviewing the individual Old School sticker titles is long overdue.  I was going to start this a while back, in checklist order, and then Dave started posting the really nice art images in alphabetical order. 

Not sure how everyone would prefer to go through them, but for now I'm going to go with the checklist:

Booze on Tap - Nice representation of the old bottle, and the tap looks great.  Unfortunately, I don't really remember this product, and had to look online for an example, so it's not one of my favorites.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
Re: Old School reviews
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 04:53:57 PM »
I think a thread reviewing the individual Old School sticker titles is long overdue.  I was going to start this a while back, in checklist order, and then Dave started posting the really nice art images in alphabetical order. 

Not sure how everyone would prefer to go through them, but for now I'm going to go with the checklist:

Booze on Tap - Nice representation of the old bottle, and the tap looks great.  Unfortunately, I don't really remember this product, and had to look online for an example, so it's not one of my favorites.

Excellent thread my WACKY friend,."Spackel" was a superb example from the "Old School" series the colors are dead on and I thought the "Artwork & Gag" were both great on this one! Deffinitly one of my favorites from the series.
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 05:36:09 PM »
Hooray Pat!  Great idea to start a thread to review the Old School stickers.  I had one of those "wait, I think I remember that!" moments when I saw Booze on Tap.  I went straight to Google and the hazy memory came a bit better into focus.  Here's an image of the original bottle.  http://danthemantrivia.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/body-on-tap.jpg  (Hope that link works!)  Not the top of my list in terms of the image itself, but this wackys score for bringing the past to mind again. 

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 08:30:42 PM »

I thought this thread existed already and Dave Gross was posting images of orignal art there.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 08:32:23 PM »

Good idea, let's do one title per day and stay focused on this order.
I am with you, loved the art, gag is strong bu the product had no nostalgic value to me.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 09:01:06 PM »
These topics can get confusing. It would almost be better to have separate topics on each card. This could be hard to keep up with so there really isn't an easy way since some members don't log in every day.
Thoughts?

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 09:54:56 AM »
I like the artwork on Booze On Tap. Love the light reflections, and the bottom "plastic" looks realistic. You can see bubbles floating inside towards the top, in the beer-shampoo goo. Maybe they used Strokes or Batz for the beer?  ;) The vertical lines on the bottle's cap are sharp! The drunk looking character is pretty funny too. I remember this shampoo back then. One of my sisters used it.

Any other comments on Booze On Tap?

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 04:49:21 PM »
Next on the checklist is Spackel Candy.
I like the simplicity of this one. Funny character too. Nice take on the Hershey's logo. It looks like a tiny Hershey's (or should I say Handy's) candy bar.
Interesting to note that the character is in front of the candy bar wrapper - he does not stop at the edge (as on 15th Avenue) nor wrap around it.

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 06:07:21 PM »
I'd like to take a moment to thank John for sending me my Old School surprise package a while back. His package made my day/week/OK month, and I finally bought a new patch cord for my camera (wife lost the other one - oh, that's another thread) and have now downloaded 156 photos from the last 15 months from my camera, and here is the best of two fuzzy shots of my son Sterling...his goofy expression seems appropriate...thanks John...
Very nice...........I will call him super kid
BTW .........end of 1st period.......Flyers 3---Blackhawks 1
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 07:36:22 PM »
I'd like to take a moment to thank John for sending me my Old School surprise package a while back. His package made my day/week/OK month, and I finally bought a new patch cord for my camera (wife lost the other one - oh, that's another thread) and have now downloaded 156 photos from the last 15 months from my camera, and here is the best of two fuzzy shots of my son Sterling...his goofy expression seems appropriate...thanks John...

No prob, glad you guys enjoyed the stickers. I see your son spackeled his chest with a Wacky.  :]

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 10:09:17 AM »
I like the simplicity of this one. Funny character too. Nice take on the Hershey's logo. It looks like a tiny Hershey's (or should I say Handy's) candy bar.
Interesting to note that the character is in front of the candy bar wrapper - he does not stop at the edge (as on 15th Avenue) nor wrap around it.

Oh good, we're going to keep trying here!

I like Spackel, it just reminds me of old Wacky candy bars parodies, and the packaging looks just like I remember.  The handyman character is very well done, especially with the pencil behind his ear, and it ties in well with the "Hershey's" Handy's logo.  The pinky in the air puzzles me though.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 05:59:44 PM »
I like the artwork on Booze On Tap. Love the light reflections, and the bottom "plastic" looks realistic. You can see bubbles floating inside towards the top, in the beer-shampoo goo. Maybe they used Strokes or Batz for the beer?  ;) The vertical lines on the bottle's cap are sharp! The drunk looking character is pretty funny too. I remember this shampoo back then. One of my sisters used it.

Any other comments on Booze On Tap?

Booze on Tap - I had one of those "oh yeah, I remember this - I think" moments too when I first saw this one. Then, it was like OOOOHHH YEAHHH, that's right, we had this shampoo and it actually did have a bit of a beer smell to it, sort of. I remember it worked about the same a Prell shampoo, that green stuff. Anyway, this was cool because it brought back those 70's memories that I complete forgot until I saw it, nice touch with the artwork !
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 08:46:04 AM »
Oh good, we're going to keep trying here!

I like Spackel, it just reminds me of old Wacky candy bars parodies, and the packaging looks just like I remember.  The handyman character is very well done, especially with the pencil behind his ear, and it ties in well with the "Hershey's" Handy's logo.  The pinky in the air puzzles me though.

Seems the pinky thing is just to make him look more goofy?

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 08:55:20 AM »
They all look great, and what I find interesting is that the more I examine each one, the more fantastic detail
I find that I had missed before. 

I think my favorite part of the set is that Dave really captured the look of the 70's with
these products!  Many of those titles remind me of my early teens  :D

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 07:47:22 PM »
They all look great, and what I find interesting is that the more I examine each one, the more fantastic detail
I find that I had missed before.  

I think my favorite part of the set is that Dave really captured the look of the 70's with
these products!  Many of those titles remind me of my early teens  :D
I got the same feeling! You make a lot of great points...Bring on "Series #2" The sooner the better!!! :P :o ;) ;D

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2010, 04:48:37 PM »
Bustedball. Another nice and simple Wacky. Nice job with the rendering of the wrapper edges. I like how the yellow basketball background is also "busted" and leaking. The guy pumping the ball is definitely "Wacky" - looks demented. Good "dribble" gag line.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2010, 05:24:42 AM »

This title totally nailed an original wacky look and feel with simplicity, large stand out character, very recognizable product.  I put the humor in the average category.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2010, 05:26:12 AM »
Bustedball. Another nice and simple Wacky. Nice job with the rendering of the wrapper edges. I like how the yellow basketball background is also "busted" and leaking. The guy pumping the ball is definitely "Wacky" - looks demented. Good "dribble" gag line.

This is one of my lower rated pieces, something about the art doesn't work for me.  It seems flat and uninspiring.  I can't put my finger on it more than that.  They all can't be great and this by no means hurt the series.

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2010, 05:31:43 AM »
This is one of my lower rated pieces, something about the art doesn't work for me.  It seems flat and uninspiring.  I can't put my finger on it more than that.  They all can't be great and this by no means hurt the series.

Ernie, I wonder if it is because the artwork on the original product was also sort of "flat" too.  I've seen shots of the original packaging which didn't inspire me a lot either.
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2010, 06:06:55 AM »

Bustedball - I like this one, it really captures the look of the packs from back then, and Topps' basketball cards were missed in the OS run, so this is a great title to have in the set, and as the puzzle, following Beanball, Hookey, etc.  The gag is good with the deflated ball, which ties in nicely with the Torn logo.  Dribble gum also made me smile.  And the guy with the afro is just so 70's!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2010, 01:57:14 PM »
The black guy with the fro is good. I can't figure out why the redhead guy looks so fiendish. Wouldn't he be upset or tired? Or maybe just annoyed.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2010, 09:19:06 PM »
He sort of gives me that evil clown feeling. Sort of like Carrot Top.  ;D
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2010, 11:13:32 PM »
Little Trash Air Foulers.
Looks just like a little hanging package from the 70's. Love the attention to detail: crimped bottom cello, hole punched on top of hanger card, wrinkles in cello. Especially love the tiny little green worms! Reminiscent of Wormy Packages.

Good gags throughout. I like how the air fouler's shape is a garbage bag, yet still resembles the parodied product's tree shape and color. Nice! Good gagging character engulfed in green fumes.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 11:16:15 PM by Duznt »

Offline bandaches

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2010, 07:53:06 AM »
Little Trash Air Foulers.
Looks just like a little hanging package from the 70's. Love the attention to detail: crimped bottom cello, hole punched on top of hanger card, wrinkles in cello. Especially love the tiny little green worms! Reminiscent of Wormy Packages.

Good gags throughout. I like how the air fouler's shape is a garbage bag, yet still resembles the parodied product's tree shape and color. Nice! Good gagging character engulfed in green fumes.

I agree that this totally has a 70's look to it.  I love the detail in the tab, gag is solid.  The wrinkled cell came out a bit flat.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2010, 05:26:12 PM »
Spine-Sol.
Love the coloring on this one. The contrasting oranges and greens. Lots of nice reflections and highlights, enhancing the bottle's plastic look.

I'm a little confused about the gag. Is she using the "spine" to be able to do that back bend, or is she in need of a spine so she won't have to do that?

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2010, 05:40:24 PM »
Spine-Sol.
Love the coloring on this one. The contrasting oranges and greens. Lots of nice reflections and highlights, enhancing the bottle's plastic look.

I'm a little confused about the gag. Is she using the "spine" to be able to do that back bend, or is she in need of a spine so she won't have to do that?

I believe she use (using) the "Spine"

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2010, 05:50:13 PM »
Little Trash - The package header is awesome, looks just like something you'd have found hanging on a peg at the carwash.  And I like the character gagging in the car.  The cello looks good, and I really like the trashbag shape for the fouler, sort of looks like the pine tree, but works perfectly with the gag.

Spine-Sol - This one just doesn't do it for me.  The bottle and cap are nicely done, but I don't really get the gag.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 05:52:30 PM by RawGoo »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2010, 11:07:36 PM »
Little Trash - The package header is awesome, looks just like something you'd have found hanging on a peg at the carwash.  And I like the character gagging in the car.  The cello looks good, and I really like the trashbag shape for the fouler, sort of looks like the pine tree, but works perfectly with the gag.

Spine-Sol - This one just doesn't do it for me.  The bottle and cap are nicely done, but I don't really get the gag.

I totally understand!

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2010, 09:46:44 AM »
Jim Mean Whiskey.
Love this one! The bottle is my favorite part of this Wacky. Nice glass reflections. Especially at the top in the "MEAN" lettering, and also the bottle's neck. The broken/shattered parts of the brown glass look great also. Good gags throughout. My favs are "Since 2 A.M." and "Makes angry drunks angrier!". Good stuff :) 

Character is good, and looks totally out of control. Very gorilla-like. Good detail with the hairy knuckles. Nice touch with the drips coming out of the broken bottle he's holding. Something about his forearms though. His left one looks more like flab then muscle. Maybe that was the intent, making him look muscular yet flabby at the same time?

The label is a little busy, but so is the original product it's spoofing. I like the different fonts and lettering. They match the original really well. I'll attach a pic I found that looks very similar. Not sure of the year though.

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2010, 01:56:21 PM »
I hadn't noticed the Little Trash one was shaped like a trash bag! Wow! I think it was the "too small to see all the detail" effect again for me. Funny too since it is one of my faves -- the overall look is "spot on" and reminds me of the awesome Blam-o sticker (they go together somehow).

Agree 100% with you all on Bustedball -- especially the evil clown fiendish thing -- I thought the black guy was great but the white guy freaked me out a little. As was said above, his face doesn't fit for me -- should be exhausted/frustrated instead of chainsawingly evil. I think his face takes me out of the gag every time. Would have gone with exhausted/frustrated and added some @#$%! subtly around his head (swearing under his breath). The black guy is great -- fro, attitude, stance -- awesome.

And Spine-Sol looked great to me but was a weird gag.

Jim Mean not a fave of mine (mb too busy/font-y?) -- understand it and love the "since 2am" gag -- just not a fave.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2010, 02:11:10 PM »
I hadn't noticed the Little Trash one was shaped like a trash bag! Wow! I think it was the "too small to see all the detail" effect again for me. Funny too since it is one of my faves -- the overall look is "spot on" and reminds me of the awesome Blam-o sticker (they go together somehow).

Agree 100% with you all on Bustedball -- especially the evil clown fiendish thing -- I thought the black guy was great but the white guy freaked me out a little. As was said above, his face doesn't fit for me -- should be exhausted/frustrated instead of chainsawingly evil. I think his face takes me out of the gag every time. Would have gone with exhausted/frustrated and added some @#$%! subtly around his head (swearing under his breath). The black guy is great -- fro, attitude, stance -- awesome.

And Spine-Sol looked great to me but was a weird gag.

Jim Mean not a fave of mine (mb too busy/font-y?) -- understand it and love the "since 2am" gag -- just not a fave.
I am with you on this, there has always been something about bustedball that doesn't work for me and I think you nailed it, the white guy's face is too angry and fiendish.

I don't have Jim Mean high on my list mainly because dark, brown wackys just don't work for me.  It seems there are too many.  I like bright colors so give me a brown wackys with small letters and I move on.

Taz

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2010, 02:16:52 PM »
Anyone ever notice the size of the shoes on the players in the BustedBall sticker.  I don't know if the artist made it as part of a gag but the shoes look like those old Disco shoes from the 70's.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2010, 08:13:42 PM »
Jim Mean Whiskey.
Love this one! The bottle is my favorite part of this Wacky. Nice glass reflections. Especially at the top in the "MEAN" lettering, and also the bottle's neck. The broken/shattered parts of the brown glass look great also. Good gags throughout. My favs are "Since 2 A.M." and "Makes angry drunks angrier!". Good stuff :) 

Character is good, and looks totally out of control. Very gorilla-like. Good detail with the hairy knuckles. Nice touch with the drips coming out of the broken bottle he's holding. Something about his forearms though. His left one looks more like flab then muscle. Maybe that was the intent, making him look muscular yet flabby at the same time?

The label is a little busy, but so is the original product it's spoofing. I like the different fonts and lettering. They match the original really well. I'll attach a pic I found that looks very similar. Not sure of the year though.

I always kinda hoped one of the Wacky artists would parody the "death masks" trend found in some alcohol and cigarette adverts from the 60s through the 80s. This ties into subliminal advertising. There are numerous  documented cases where alcohol and tobacco advertisers would include skulls, demons, and death masks usually airbrushed into the bottle reflections, convolutions, and ice cubes. These were usually somewhat distorted or stretched to some extent, I guess so that they were not too obvious. Apparently, the thinking was that drinkers and smokers have repressed death wishes and these gruesome images would be picked up subliminally and appeal to these unconscious desires. Silly me, I thought we just liked the buzz.

Here's a link to a website with some examples of sublimal advertising techniques, including the death masks and skulls:                  http://sub-lim.blogspot.com/

Now you are thinking, this post started out kinda Wacky related but not a really strong tie-in. Is there anyway that old Sco(o)t can bring this back on topic?  (Reaching into my bag of tricks....Voila!) One cool image  amongst the adverts shown, if you go about 3/5ths of the way down the page of examples, is a picture of the Land O' Quakes Wacky Package that appears to have a little hidden gag in it... if you click on the image they show how the Indian's knees can be seen as a butt right above the "BUTT" of "BUTTER". Coincidence or design?  Damn, now I have to start going through all the sets looking even closer then ever before for hidden gags. The postcard sized art is looking better and better all the time.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline bandaches

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2010, 08:22:45 PM »
I always kinda hoped one of the Wacky artists would parody the "death masks" trend found in some alcohol and cigarette adverts from the 60s through the 80s. This ties into subliminal advertising. There are numerous  documented cases where alcohol and tobacco advertisers would include skulls, demons, and death masks usually airbrushed into the bottle reflections, convolutions, and ice cubes. These were usually somewhat distorted or stretched to some extent, I guess so that they were not too obvious. Apparently, the thinking was that drinkers and smokers have repressed death wishes and these gruesome images would be picked up subliminally and appeal to these unconscious desires. Silly me, I thought we just liked the buzz.

Here's a link to a website with some examples of sublimal advertising techniques, including the death masks and skulls:                  http://sub-lim.blogspot.com/

Now you are thinking, this post started out kinda Wacky related but not a really strong tie-in. Is there anyway that old Sco(o)t can bring this back on topic?  (Reaching into my bag of tricks....Voila!) One cool image  amongst the adverts shown, if you go about 3/5ths of the way down the page of examples, is a picture of the Land O' Quakes Wacky Package that appears to have a little hidden gag in it... if you click on the image they show how the Indian's knees can be seen as a butt right above the "BUTT" of "BUTTER". Coincidence or design?  Damn, now I have to start going through all the sets looking even closer then ever before for hidden gags. The postcard sized art is looking better and better all the time.

The Indian's knees on Land o Quakes are tits.  One of the oldest "tricks" we used to do is cut her from the butter box, fold it in such a way that her knees would appear behind the butter box she is holding so you can flip up the lid to see the tits in the box.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2010, 08:32:28 PM »
The Indian's knees on Land o Quakes are tits.  One of the oldest "tricks" we used to do is cut her from the butter box, fold it in such a way that her knees would appear behind the butter box she is holding so you can flip up the lid to see the tits in the box.

I divert my eyes in (feigned) disgust!!!!  :-[
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)