Author Topic: It's Official! Topps has sold out of OLDS  (Read 13949 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
It's Official! Topps has sold out of OLDS
« on: May 13, 2010, 09:29:47 AM »
Congrats to Dave for putting this great series together. Hats off to Jay for all the excellent sketches. Without the chase for the sketches this may not have sold out as quickly.
Now bring on OLDS 2. But please wait a bit so my credit card can cool off :]

Offline dth1971

Re: It's Official! Topps has sold out of OLDS
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 01:28:50 PM »
Congrats to Dave for putting this great series together. Hats off to Jay for all the excellent sketches. Without the chase for the sketches this may not have sold out as quickly.

And no more production mixups as it goes to press, please!

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 01:45:04 PM »
I'll 2nd that...I met Dave (Slamjim) at the show and he is a great guy! If the 2nd series is all as good as the Promo" (Sue-Mee) we are in for something special!!!
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 01:45:45 PM »
Congrats to Dave and Topps on keeping the dream alive  :)

DrDeal

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 02:00:51 PM »
I'll 2nd that...I met Dave (Slamjim) at the show and he is a great guy! If the 2nd series is all as good as the Promo" (Sue-Mee) we are in for something special!!!

The hook for strong sales will be what the extra's are such as the sketch chase cards with OLDS. They have to be unique so collectors are forced to buy more boxes to keep hoping for a unique card. It may have to be 200 color sketches randomly inserted into boxes.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 02:11:20 PM »
The hook for strong sales will be what the extra's are such as the sketch chase cards with OLDS. They have to be unique so collectors are forced to buy more boxes to keep hoping for a unique card. It may have to be 200 color sketches randomly inserted into boxes.
I tend to agree, but I really thought the (set) itself was the best "Wacky" series in years! I'm probably in the minority here, but that is how I honestly feel. Bring on "Old School" Series #2!!! a.s.a.p. :)

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 02:43:44 PM »
If anyone wants to shell out the ca$h, "Jeff Caff" has (sealed) "Old School" boxes for $90 + (S&H) :o

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 02:51:12 PM »
I tend to agree, but I really thought the (set) itself was the best "Wacky" series in years! I'm probably in the minority here, but that is how I honestly feel. Bring on "Old School" Series #2!!! a.s.a.p. :)
I agree with you, the Old School sticker set was outstanding!  I have been wanting to start a title by title review thread, like we used to do with ANS, but I had been thinking of going in checklist order, and then Dave started posting great large images in alphabetical order, and I just wasn't sure what to do.  Perhaps I'll just start it and see what happens.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 02:54:20 PM »
I agree with you, the Old School sticker set was outstanding!  I have been wanting to start a title by title review thread, like we used to do with ANS, but I had been thinking of going in checklist order, and then Dave started posting great large images in alphabetical order, and I just wasn't sure what to do.  Perhaps I'll just start it and see what happens.
Go for it my WACKY Friend!!! ;)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 02:54:27 PM »
I agree with you, the Old School sticker set was outstanding!  I have been wanting to start a title by title review thread, like we used to do with ANS, but I had been thinking of going in checklist order, and then Dave started posting great large images in alphabetical order, and I just wasn't sure what to do.  Perhaps I'll just start it and see what happens.

Go ahead. I don't think you would step on any toes. Dave's thread discusses the concept when yours would be a critique.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 02:54:56 PM »
Go for it my WACKY Brother!!! ;)

You mean Sista!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 02:55:43 PM »
If anyone wants to shell out the ca$h, "Jeff Caff" has (sealed) "Old School" boxes for $90 + (S&H) :o

Jeff probably started the Topps box thread to egg me on to order more boxes so they would sell out fast :D It's all free enterprise! The problem he will have is he didn't charge enough for shipping. I had to send one box back to Topps and it cost me almost $10. I am sure he can absorb it in the mark up. I wonder how the market will react to unopened box prices. The sketch cards have been slowing down in sales lately.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 03:03:00 PM by BumChex »

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 03:05:28 PM »
You mean Sista!
Ron's post says "Wacky friend", and isn't showing a modification/edit - how did you quote him as saying "Wacky brother"?  Just wondering, especially since Ron and I just met at the Philly show, and I think he probably noticed that I'm a sista :)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 03:11:32 PM »
Ron's post says "Wacky friend", and isn't showing a modification/edit - how did you quote him as saying "Wacky brother"?  Just wondering, especially since Ron and I just met at the Philly show, and I think he probably noticed that I'm a sista :)
He must have changed it because it said wacky brother. That is strange about it not showing edited.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 03:35:46 PM »
He must have changed it because it said wacky brother. That is strange about it not showing edited.
As long as I'm still a sista!!

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 04:29:42 PM »

Right there with you Ron! This has been my favorite series since 1985.
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 04:46:01 PM »
Right there with you Ron! This has been my favorite series since 1985.
Right on! I thought the "Old School" series & the "85" series were very simmular, that series (85) was the 1st series of (all new) titles since the "Original series" & the "Old School" series was kind of like an "Original series #17" for me. All my WACKY best...RonZ

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2010, 10:36:52 AM »
Got in 12 boxes today and got nothing unique other then a random nitwit. Sure hope my last 26 boxes holds some treasures!

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2010, 02:55:06 PM »
Got in 12 boxes today and got nothing unique other then a random nitwit. Sure hope my last 26 boxes holds some treasures!
A "standard" nitwit?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2010, 03:03:25 PM »
Glad people were happy. I'm sure Topps was very happy with a 3 month sell-out. They would have been just fine with boxes lingering for another 6 months or more as well. Helps sell other items in the store.

I'll be discussing OLDS2 next Friday with them after I finish up my ANS2010 assignments.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2010, 03:03:53 PM »
PS - I opened 18 boxes but no color or nitwits. I have 2 unopened boxes.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2010, 03:06:36 PM »
A "standard" nitwit?
The same nitwit quite a few have pulled. Like the one on ebay now.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2010, 08:52:21 PM »
PS - I opened 18 boxes but no color or nitwits. I have 2 unopened boxes.

This was such a fun ride looking for the colored sketches or just finding all the sketches on the poster. I still come up about 30 short from what has been pulled and what is shown on the poster. I still can't believe a Paste Anywhere boy hasn't shown up. I will pay $1200 for a Paste Anywhere colored sketch!

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2010, 06:46:33 AM »
A "standard" nitwit?
I think he's referring to me.   :P

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2010, 09:43:00 AM »

It sold :o

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2010, 09:26:49 AM »
I see another seller has a sealed box for sale. Not sure who the seller is. So now that they are sold out we will see the non forum members who bought boxes. I'm curious as to how many will surface.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2010, 12:31:35 PM »

The old school series seemed to get things back on track unlike what we've seen with the ANS and FB series. While both were fine offerings, they were overly flashy with the appearance of the cards, the borders, wrappers, etc.., What we received with the OS series was satire in a basic appearance that I haven't seen since 1985.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2010, 01:59:00 PM »
Can't believe it's sold out. Wow! I gotta say for all the anticipation, it was a great series with a lot of cool stuff that went with it. I'm still absorbing all of it. Congrats Dave & Topps for putting out this series ! Looking forward to the ANS7 AND the Olds2 !!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2010, 02:13:42 PM »
Can't believe it's sold out. Wow! I gotta say for all the anticipation, it was a great series with a lot of cool stuff that went with it. I'm still absorbing all of it. Congrats Dave & Topps for putting out this series ! Looking forward to the ANS7 AND the Olds2 !!

Does anyone know if ANS7 or 2010 will be a national release?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2010, 04:42:14 PM »
All ANS, FB and GPK sets are national release. In fact, Wal-Mart is back in the game bigger than ever. These types of sets were never going to be direct sales only contrary to what some people mistakenly kept saying.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2010, 04:55:41 PM »
All ANS, FB and GPK sets are national release. In fact, Wal-Mart is back in the game bigger than ever. These types of sets were never going to be direct sales only contrary to what some people mistakenly kept saying.
Glad to hear this!  I never did find the GPK Flashbacks at the local Walmart though, and it wasn't for lack of trying.

Offline Rod Wad

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2010, 05:30:23 PM »
Glad to hear this!  I never did find the GPK Flashbacks at the local Walmart though, and it wasn't for lack of trying.

I've been to probably two Walmarts and one Kmart that carries GPK Flashbacks.  Target however carries them (and blisters) in force.  Regarding the bonus-box, they seem to be non-existent except for a few guys in the east coast saying Kmart carries them.  Pretty weak if you ask me; many GPK peeps are at the mercy of 200-300% ebay markups, all for a series still "new".

Steering the conversation back to OLDS- you think the next series will stay in the 70s or move into the 80s?  From what I gather there were only a few WP series released in the 80s and that leaves potentially thousands of concepts waiting to be conceived.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2010, 05:35:23 PM »
I've been to probably two Walmarts and one Kmart that carries GPK Flashbacks.  Target however carries them (and blisters) in force.  Regarding the bonus-box, they seem to be non-existent except for a few guys in the east coast saying Kmart carries them.  Pretty weak if you ask me; many GPK peeps are at the mercy of 200-300% ebay markups, all for a series still "new".

Steering the conversation back to OLDS- you think the next series will stay in the 70s or move into the 80s?  From what I gather there were only a few WP series released in the 80s and that leaves potentially thousands of concepts waiting to be conceived.

That's a great question! I would think Dave will exhaust the 70's and then move on to the 80's. I would love to see some Matel and Coleco hand held games parodied.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2010, 06:14:31 PM »
That's a great question! I would think Dave will exhaust the 70's and then move on to the 80's. I would love to see some Matel and Coleco hand held games parodied.

I have enough good material for at least 6 series from the 1970s (maybe more with how much packaging material MarvelJason  keeps locating. The 1960s have a ton of really cool products as well. I have started saving 80s material also. Hand held Mattel football would be awesome.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2010, 06:24:19 PM »
I have enough good material for at least 6 series from the 1970s (maybe more with how much packaging material MarvelJason  keeps locating. The 1960s have a ton of really cool products as well. I have started saving 80s material also. Hand held Mattel football would be awesome.
Go 80's soon dude, nothing wrong with going back to 70's later.  80's are hot and a very retro recognizable decade.  I heard that "I love the 80's" on VH1 was one  the more popular runs versus the equivalent 70's and 90's.  Especially as it relates to toys.   Come on push the envelope and go with "rubik's pube" and show a block with curly hair protruding from it!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 06:44:16 PM by bandaches »
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/