Author Topic: WACKY BINDER SKETCH IDEA!  (Read 6347 times)

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
WACKY BINDER SKETCH IDEA!
« on: July 22, 2013, 10:35:44 AM »
Here's an idea for customizing the inside of your Wacky Packages binder!

If anyone wants their binders customized, I'll be happy to entertain offers! I'm just itching to sketch one in color!

« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 10:59:10 AM by koduck »

Offline Kook

Re: WACKY BINDER SKETCH IDEA!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 11:40:34 AM »
Here's an idea for customizing the inside of your Wacky Packages binder!

If anyone wants their binders customized, I'll be happy to entertain offers! I'm just itching to sketch one in color!

Those collages are great! Are you looking to do exactly those designs on all binders, or are you customizing them for each job (or both depending on $$$)?

I guess you could have 17 different designs for each of the 17 binders  :great: That project would need an accompanying payment plan! 

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 12:13:42 PM »
Those collages are great! Are you looking to do exactly those designs on all binders, or are you customizing them for each job (or both depending on $$$)?

Each binder would be completely unique! And I should mention, I'd probably stick to drawing just the binders I painted (1, 7 and 16), so I'll leave it to the other artists to chime in about sketching designs on their binders...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 01:33:56 PM by koduck »

Offline Kook

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 12:17:49 PM »
Each binder would be completely unique!

Another cool idea would be a (color) printed collage for each binder, maybe on an 8-1/2 x 11 sticker sheet. That could be for those of us without budgets in the 4 digits to decorate all 17 of our binders. Maybe Dr Popper could chime in on the production feasibility of this. Don't know if the production side would be against Topps policy.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 01:16:58 PM »
Each binder would be completely unique!
Really, Really spectacular. Your mind never takes a break. Wait until you can design these on your new Mac! :] :great:

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 01:30:06 PM »
Really, Really spectacular. Your mind never takes a break. Wait until you can design these on your new Mac! :] :great:

Your right, my mind never takes a break, which can be a blessing OR a curse!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 07:17:46 AM »
Another cool idea would be a (color) printed collage for each binder, maybe on an 8-1/2 x 11 sticker sheet. That could be for those of us without budgets in the 4 digits to decorate all 17 of our binders. Maybe Dr Popper could chime in on the production feasibility of this. Don't know if the production side would be against Topps policy.

Are you talking about the sticker sheets for inside the binders where they are currently white?  If so that would be  something Topps would have to initiate and produce. 

Or are you talking about doing Neil's b&w collage but making it color instead?
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Kook

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 12:48:05 PM »
Are you talking about the sticker sheets for inside the binders where they are currently white?  If so that would be  something Topps would have to initiate and produce.  

Or are you talking about doing Neil's b&w collage but making it color instead?

I thought if Neil went to the trouble of making a beautiful color collage (or 17) as a consignment for someone, it would be cool to print that artwork on a sticker sheet & sell it at a more reasonable cost to those of us who can't afford 16 or 17 (or 32/34 sheets) full color custom creations to decorate our binder set. Seems the artists are able to do 1 offs, but the reproduction may be a sticky issue because increasing the size of the market may be encroaching on a project topps could take on themselves.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 06:33:00 AM »
I thought if Neil went to the trouble of making a beautiful color collage (or 17) as a consignment for someone, it would be cool to print that artwork on a sticker sheet & sell it at a more reasonable cost to those of us who can't afford 16 or 17 (or 32/34 sheets) full color custom creations to decorate our binder set. Seems the artists are able to do 1 offs, but the reproduction may be a sticky issue because increasing the size of the market may be encroaching on a project topps could take on themselves.

That would be a good idea and I bet a lot of people would buy them and use them.  A lot of binders have the slip sheet area where you could slide it into the cover without using the sticker. 

I don't think Topps would do it or allow it to be done though because it may take away from the binder sales.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Kook

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 07:40:31 AM »
That would be a good idea and I bet a lot of people would buy them and use them.  A lot of binders have the slip sheet area where you could slide it into the cover without using the sticker. 

I don't think Topps would do it or allow it to be done though because it may take away from the binder sales.

I agree that it probably won't happen. For the small group that is willing to buy the binders, I think they will buy both. This would interest the binder buyers AND many others that won't spend the high price on the binders IMO. I never even thought of putting them in the cover of other binders to "roll my own" wacky binder. That is a good idea also.

I wonder if a group of 10 or 20 people could get together to commission, say, 4 binder collages like the NSU project, in full color & share the printing costs for the specific purpose of creating our own binder artwork. This way we could use the binder sizes & types we are each comfortable with & still have the cool artwork for them.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 08:58:41 AM »
I agree that it probably won't happen. For the small group that is willing to buy the binders, I think they will buy both. This would interest the binder buyers AND many others that won't spend the high price on the binders IMO. I never even thought of putting them in the cover of other binders to "roll my own" wacky binder. That is a good idea also.

I wonder if a group of 10 or 20 people could get together to commission, say, 4 binder collages like the NSU project, in full color & share the printing costs for the specific purpose of creating our own binder artwork. This way we could use the binder sizes & types we are each comfortable with & still have the cool artwork for them.

We could have Rob print them! ;D

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 11:31:28 AM »
I was just messing around with Photoshop on one of the checklists. I used the spot healing tool to remove the lines. While not perfect it looks pretty decent. I only spent about 5 min on this though and probably could do a better job if I wanted to. Since we all already have the puzzle I don't think people would want to make stickers out of these on Avery paper and stick them to the inside of the binders. I think it would be too much of the same thing. I also had to reduce the size a bit so it wasn't too big for the image upload.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 11:39:25 AM »
The puzzles are also missing quite a bit of the art, and that's not even counting what the logo(s) mask.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 11:40:37 AM »

You could make some rubber stamps and use them to decorate the inside of the binders

Offline Rabid Shaver

• Trivia Pirates
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 08:40:59 AM »
You could make some rubber stamps and use them to decorate the inside of the binders

Hummmm, Wondering if Rubber stamps can be made with 3D printers?......

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 11:44:56 AM »

Those look great! Have you made rubber stamp sheets before?
Alex

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 01:37:13 PM »
Those look great! Have you made rubber stamp sheets before?
Alex

I haven’t.

(I got these images from Patrick. They are some type of templates used by Jay when he was signing the Wacky books of Abrams – they were originally posted on Greg's forum)

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 04:37:20 PM »

seems like a really unique decorating idea. although a bit bulky.

would you use Stifford's, LeRage's or maybe Ducko Cement to stick them in place?

Offline Simko

• Sweet Rot
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2014, 10:21:46 AM »
Here's a sketch I did inside the 2nd series binder for a collector.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2014, 11:26:15 AM »

That is really cool Joe. What do you charge for this if we send you our binders?

Offline Simko

• Sweet Rot
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2014, 02:30:14 PM »
Thanks Brad. I just sent a message to your email. If anyone else is interested you can just pm me, or email joe@sweetrot.com for a quote.

I'd rather not set a price here on the forum that seems standard in case any of the other artists want to charge differently.

Offline Smokin Joe

• "Get some for your honey"
    • Smokin' Joe's Art and Illustration
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 12:22:35 PM »

Beautiful work Joe! I love a great B&W ink drawing... this is a great way to do it. It's like you can 'Draw 'em Anywhere!!! Love to see you post more of 'em as you finish 'em.   
         Smokin' Joe
Smokin' Joe