Author Topic: Happy 7-11 Day!  (Read 2541 times)

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
Happy 7-11 Day!
« on: July 11, 2013, 06:22:15 PM »
I figured since today is 7/11, I would salute the store that many of us bought our Wackys from back in the 70's. Many of us rode our bikes to 7-11 to get our beloved Wackys.

I'm sure I told this story before, but back in the 70's, one time I found a Wacky display header card at 7-11. It was about 2' x 1'. I think it was near the dumpster on the side of the building.  For some reason I couldn't take it home at that moment (probably cause I had hold onto my slurpee while riding my bike home), so I buried it under some leaves under a nearby bush. Funny even back then I was thinking about saving stuff like that... So anyhow, I promptly forgot about the header card, and by the time I did remember, it had snowed several times, so probably disintegrated the poor thing.

My recollection of what it looked like has faded over the years, but what I do remember is that it was on heavy cardboard, and mostly white. I also think it had die cut upper area around the Wacky images, like the display box. I mostly just remember the Wacky images, no words on the header. But I can't image it wouldn't have the Wacky and Topps logo.

So for fun, I modified an image of the 1st series box top, turned it white, and made a few other mods to come up with what I think it looked like. Wish I could find out from Topps if they have records of the promo ad material from back then, to see how close I am :)

Offline FourRoses

Re: Happy 7-11 Day!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 11:38:53 AM »
I've never set foot in a 7-11.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 03:16:54 PM »
We didn't have 7-11 stores here in Wisconsin until recently.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 03:23:56 PM »
As a kid in 1973, the only place I purchased my Wackys was 7-11.  We lived in Marlboro, NJ and luckily the 7-11 was within biking distance.

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 03:57:00 PM »
7-11 wasn't the closest store for biking to, so my brothers and I always rode over to the Qwik Pick for our Wackys

Offline Go_Bum

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 04:40:27 PM »
I've never laid eyes on a 7-11.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 04:42:03 PM »
Well it's all regional.  I never heard of Walmart until
I moved out to California in 1990.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 04:51:31 PM »

Wow... We're did you live? I though Walmarts were omnipresent like rats.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 06:47:49 PM »

Same here. I remember seeing one in the movie Christmas Vacation, but didn't realize it was an actual store...

I also bought my Wackys from a local drug store, and also a not so local one.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 11:31:05 PM »
The first time I saw a picture of a 7-11, it was for a plastic model kit building that you could add to your HO scale
train set....I didn't actually get to a 7-11 until my 20s, in an outlying neighborhood in San Francisco...
Think I wrote this in the forum before, but I got my die-cuts and wacky ads at a candy store right next to my
grammar school that was run by a cranky couple who lived behind the store. They were always accusing kid of
stealing gum! My mom surprised my siblings later on with a full box of diecuts that she bought from the candy
wholesaler (there were at least 2 such places in Chinatown back then) for way less than a dollar I think.
I was in Jr high when the Wacky stickers came out, and we found them at various candy stores, comic book/magazine
shops and at Woolworth's. By then, we got a bunch of us neighborhood kids collecting and we all stopped about series
7-8 when we were high school bound. Wish I had kept those boxes! I never came across the patches, cloth stickers or posters though....
Alex

Offline HENRY.R

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 03:59:56 AM »
I remember back in the early 70's,there were wacky packages in every mom & pops stores,grocery stores & liquor stores,I remember buying packs & next thing you know new series would pop out & still would need to complete my set from previous series & would have to hit other stores to find packs from earlier series,boy did packs sell out fast from each series back than,now if you want them,here in los angeles county, only place is Target & if your lucky to find a few in toysrus,walmarts never have any,very rare to find them at walmart.