Author Topic: Sketches  (Read 9008 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Sketches
« on: July 01, 2013, 09:58:31 PM »
Hey everyone,
I guess I've been ruled as the sketch card guru although I dont understand it because I like what I like and others like what they like. Regardless, what do people think of the sketches. I ask because it seems taboo but people are discussion it. It's not taboo, its awesome! Don't people love a new aspect on the character? I love it!

Offline lucidjc

Re: Sketches
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 10:00:42 PM »
Hey everyone,
I guess I've been ruled as the sketch card guru although I dont understand it because I like what I like and others like what they like. Regardless, what do people think of the sketches. I ask because it seems taboo but people are discussion it. It's not taboo, its awesome! Don't people love a new aspect on the character? I love it!

What sketches you talkin about Willis?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 10:27:03 PM »
What sketches you talkin about Willis?

I'm talking sketches in general. I've been told that I take sketches too far but I see people talking sketches now so I wonder if I may have taken it too far?

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 11:54:36 PM »
                                  WARNING       WARNING       THIS THREAD DOES NOT HAVE BANDACHES AUTHORIZATION AND SEAL OF APPROVAL
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 03:04:48 AM »
Brad,

When did the first WP sketches appear? Was it with the first PC release? I know one of my more prized ones is my Camera Halloween one he sent to board members.

Andrew

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 03:20:50 AM »
Brad,

When did the first WP sketches appear? Was it with the first PC release? I know one of my more prized ones is my Camera Halloween one he sent to board members.

Andrew

The first Wacky sketch cards were issued with Series 1 postcards, in November of 2007.  The first Halloween sketches were in 2009, and the first Halloween postcard set was in 2010.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 06:37:23 AM »
I think sketches are artistically cool. I personally have zero interest in owning or collecting them.  Jay and many other wacky artists were doing sketches on commission for years and few people seemed to care until they were on "the special wacky paper" (to quote Plan 9). So I'm curious to ask those who are now "sketch crazy"  why their enthusiasm is so much greater now than it was back then. But as always, I'm happy for anyone who enjoys collecting anything.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 06:41:56 AM »
I'm talking sketches in general. I've been told that I take sketches too far but I see people talking sketches now so I wonder if I may have taken it too far?

Could you rephrase that? These after-midnight posts of yours are always hard to parse  ;D

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 07:15:04 AM »
Could you rephrase that? These after-midnight posts of yours are always hard to parse  ;D
MARTINI & ROSSI ON THE ROCKS KICKIN' IN                  BARTELS & JAMES           BRAD, THANKS THEM FOR THEIR SUPPORT
MARTINI & ROSSI     NOW THATS A PARODY THAT NEEDS TO GET IN MOTION!!!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 07:29:40 AM by deadpresidentsvisa »
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 10:35:08 AM »
Could you rephrase that? These after-midnight posts of yours are always hard to parse  ;D

LOL, Ya I have the week off and doing a lot of stuff around the house such as staining the deck and painting my daughters room. I may have had too many beers last night with our neighbors coming over.
What I meant is I see people talking about how cool the sketches are recently with PC9. Some people have commented that I love sketches too much and not considering the actual cards. I love it all.

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 11:19:10 AM »
LOL, Ya I have the week off and doing a lot of stuff around the house such as staining the deck and painting my daughters room. I may have had too many beers last night with our neighbors coming over.
What I meant is I see people talking about how cool the sketches are recently with PC9. Some people have commented that I love sketches too much and not considering the actual cards. I love it all.
NOW EVEN A 3 SECOND MENTION OF MY KICK BUTT POST...................................................................

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 01:02:57 PM »
I really like the sketch cards when they are unique in some way and of "good" artistic quality (i.e. looks like something that took some artistic training and/or talent to create - not just a scribble/doodle - I have a pencil one that's obviously a rough sketch but it is one of my faves because it contains palpable "action in motion").

I am nowhere near as into it as others here, but managed to do one "set" of nine Dr. Puffer's (one for each artist) that looks really nice displayed together (I need to get some pics of it sometime), along with two other 9-card groupings and a 4-card grouping. This is something I did a year or so ago - I call it Sketch Grouping: they actually take on an interesting quality when well-balanced against each other.

I also think the artists can get burnt out and/or overly restricted by Topps, which is unfortunate, as it reflects poorly on Topps imo and makes me want to collect them less.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 01:34:30 PM »
I enjoy the sketch cards but don't consider myself a fanatic about them. For the ANS series, I am happy to obtain 1 sketch I like just to have a representative sketch for that set. For the Old School and Postcard Series, I make my initial purchase on release date, then wait it out a while to see what others show on the forum and what becomes available on eBay before I decide on what my sketch goal or objective will be for that series. Since the nature of what is included in the sketches and the number of artists involved, changes from release to release, I end up going different directions. Sometimes, I try to get one sketch from each artist (trying to get different titles from each). For one OS release, I collected BLUE BEANIE sketches from different artists. For most of the postcard releases, I like to get one sketch for each of the titles in that postcard set.  I am a bit of a cheap-skate when it comes to buying the sketches and rarely have paid more than $25 per. 
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 03:09:44 PM »
Not to sound like a cop-out, but I feel much like Paul Maul does. If they weren't included with other Wacky product, I'd probably have few to none of them. I appreciate the artists' effort, but they're just not my "thing". If someone loves them, that's great, but I could live fine without any. I also think they've been way overdone, now being included with practically anything Topps produces. Makes them less special, in my book.

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 04:12:41 PM »
NO DRINKING AND DRIVING, YOU WILL BE PULLED OVER AND BUSTED AND JAILED AND THE CUSTOM BUILT ESCALADE WILL BE IMPOUNDED !!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 04:22:26 PM »
Not to sound like a cop-out, but I feel much like Paul Maul does. If they weren't included with other Wacky product, I'd probably have few to none of them. I appreciate the artists' effort, but they're just not my "thing". If someone loves them, that's great, but I could live fine without any. I also think they've been way overdone, now being included with practically anything Topps produces. Makes them less special, in my book.

Limited Edition postcards definitely wouldn't be the same without the sketches.  Old School maybe, too, but the volume there seems to dilute the originality, and if Topps came up with something else cool to replace the sketches I'd be OK with it.  I don't care for sketches in regular postcard sets.  Sketches in ANS sets in particular is annoying because it brings out all the @#!&^*% pack searchers, and I'd be very happy to see those sets go back to the ANS4 model.  Actually, with ANS I have skipped sketches entirely, with the exception of a special RawGoo that turned up in ANS10 and a forum friend hooked me up with   :o 

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 06:35:23 PM »
NO DRINKING AND DRIVING, YOU WILL BE PULLED OVER AND BUSTED AND JAILED AND THE CUSTOM BUILT ESCALADE WILL BE IMPOUNDED !!

Thanks for the advice, Lance, I think I'll be just fine. Pots legal in Colorado now and in Jan. you will be able to buy it everywhere so maybe my deck talk will be weed instead of beers...LOL

Offline Kook

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 08:24:07 PM »
I used to like the sketches a lot more when:
1. They weren't so diluted. Topps uses sketches to sell massive quantities of wackys than would otherwise be absorbed by the market. reminds me of the tailings from gold rush after the mining. I can see piles of "envelope-less" full old school boxes in the wake of a handful of top notch sketch cards... I think it really devalues the series release to me, rather than making it the center of attention.
2. They were more about the product, or of iconic original series characters. Smokin' Joe's 4th series postcard sketches & Jay's 1st series old school sketches really stand out. They were new & closer to the original idea of wackys - poking fun at advertising with outrageous characters relevant to the products they parodied. Somehwere along the 10,000 to 15,000 mark, I think the sketches took on a life of their own that, to me, has almost nothing to do with wacky packages.

Some additional random notes:
1. The shear crazy numbers of the sketches has made them loose their appeal to me - now the completist in me keeps 1 sketch per series for posterity's sake. All other sketches have been sold off.

2. Honorable mention - Neil Camera has been making a style of sketches lately that seem back to the roots of wackys to me. They are product centric & remind me of wacky ads with the characters, products & billboard type design. A renaissance of this nature coupled with reasonable prices could make me have a bit more interest in sketches. Unrelated artwork of obscure characters from ANS wackys that don't relate to a product parody or an ad don't interest me from a wacky standpoint. Some are cool from an artistic standpoint but don't belong in my wacky pack collection.

3. Does anyone else remember the crazy days of above $1,000 color sketches, the bidding wars etc... ? Seems like a dot com bubble looking back. Someone correctly made the observation that it was nuts that original ANS art pieces weren't commanding the same prices these little sketch cards were back in the day.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 08:29:05 PM by Kook »

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2013, 05:11:19 AM »
    420 Friendly                  And most everyone "SKIS" the slopes nowadays,but I digress                                 And don't forget POPPERS                I know my craigslist lingo
     For my next semi great idea                 2 sided sketch cards                 Of course on the frontside 1 would have to leave room for the Topps logo          NC & MJ chime in

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2013, 05:18:57 AM »
Thanks for the advice, Lance, I think I'll be just fine. Pots legal in Colorado now and in Jan. you will be able to buy it everywhere so maybe my deck talk will be weed instead of beers...LOL
YOU WILL HAVE TO INVITE A CERTAIN ARTIST FROM AMERICA'S HEARTLAND FOR A SLEEPOVER,MAYBE YOU WILL GET A 2 FOR 1 BONUS OCCUPANCY
BK, HOW MANY EXTRA BEDROOMS YOU HAVE ?                                  BYOP                          BRING YOUR OWN ???
Sometimes I manage to crack myself up                                                     I'm dominating right now
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 05:23:21 AM by deadpresidentsvisa »

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2013, 05:24:44 AM »
I used to like the sketches a lot more when:
1. They weren't so diluted. Topps uses sketches to sell massive quantities of wackys than would otherwise be absorbed by the market. reminds me of the tailings from gold rush after the mining. I can see piles of "envelope-less" full old school boxes in the wake of a handful of top notch sketch cards... I think it really devalues the series release to me, rather than making it the center of attention.
2. They were more about the product, or of iconic original series characters. Smokin' Joe's 4th series postcard sketches & Jay's 1st series old school sketches really stand out. They were new & closer to the original idea of wackys - poking fun at advertising with outrageous characters relevant to the products they parodied. Somehwere along the 10,000 to 15,000 mark, I think the sketches took on a life of their own that, to me, has almost nothing to do with wacky packages.

Some additional random notes:
1. The shear crazy numbers of the sketches has made them loose their appeal to me - now the completist in me keeps 1 sketch per series for posterity's sake. All other sketches have been sold off.

2. Honorable mention - Neil Camera has been making a style of sketches lately that seem back to the roots of wackys to me. They are product centric & remind me of wacky ads with the characters, products & billboard type design. A renaissance of this nature coupled with reasonable prices could make me have a bit more interest in sketches. Unrelated artwork of obscure characters from ANS wackys that don't relate to a product parody or an ad don't interest me from a wacky standpoint. Some are cool from an artistic standpoint but don't belong in my wacky pack collection.

3. Does anyone else remember the crazy days of above $1,000 color sketches, the bidding wars etc... ? Seems like a dot com bubble looking back. Someone correctly made the observation that it was nuts that original ANS art pieces weren't commanding the same prices these little sketch cards were back in the day.
I WONDER IF LESLIE SOLD ANY OLDS 1 COLOR SKETCHES                           What's leslie's forum ID ?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 05:40:01 AM by deadpresidentsvisa »

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2013, 05:29:45 PM »
I bet they don't want to hear shit about wacky packages,the number 1 non-sports card of all-time

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2013, 04:03:14 AM »
I WONDER IF LESLIE SOLD ANY OLDS 1 COLOR SKETCHES                           What's leslie's forum ID ?
Wackyhorse  Or something like that
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 04:06:25 AM by jleonard1967 »

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2013, 06:42:36 AM »

Wackyponies    She likes painted ponies and wackys.

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2013, 07:26:55 AM »
Wackyhorse,that's it

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2013, 08:34:07 PM »
Topps should get one of these so the artists can draw 3D sketches:

http://www.the3doodler.com/

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2013, 12:43:01 PM »

I'm off to play poker now so ill try not to post later...LOL :] :] :great:

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2013, 10:13:31 AM »
I was really into them when Old School 1 came out, and tried to get a complete set (which was possible with that release, because it was only one artists and a limited number of characters).  The whole "blue line" debacle of OS2 sketches was a setback for me, as I thought that was a really lame, misleading approach by Topps.  Things improved with OS3 when more artists were brought in to load-level (so they weren't killing poor Jay with sketch demands), but I've gotten to where I now am just focused on sketches for the postcard sets.  For me they work best in that context because A): there are bio cards with those sets, so the sketches have more meaning when placed with some info about the artist the drew it, B): the postcards are a completely different size from a regular trading card, so the smaller sketch just looks nice as a companion piece, and C): there are only 3 to 6 titles per postcard set, and you can theoretically obtain a sketch for every postcard without spending tons of cash.

The quality has gone up substantially on the whole, but I do feel that there should be a minimum level of sketch competence and effort applied to every card in these expensive LE sets.  That's really the one item that drives the demand on the postcards, and with the prices continuing to escalate, so should the overall quality.  If you're spending $53 plus tax on a postcard set, the sketch ought to have a decent amount of detail and thought put into it.  Granted that's somewhat subjective, but I think we can all agree on which sketches are sub-standard to the collector population as a whole.

Offline Kook

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2013, 12:38:49 PM »
with the prices continuing to escalate, so should the overall quality.  If you're spending $53 plus tax on a postcard set, the sketch ought to have a decent amount of detail and thought put into it.  Granted that's somewhat subjective, but I think we can all agree on which sketches are sub-standard to the collector population as a whole.

I agree with this statement. As much as we all debate creative freedom, and artistic differences, I think that we would probably all be in about 90% agreement if we grabbed 100 random sketches & didn't ask "Does this sketch appeal to you?" but rather, "Do you feel this sketch was worth the price you paid for it as part of the set?"

Even though we all may not all want the same characters or designs, it really doesn't take an art critic to tell which sketches will pull single digit dollars at auction vs.  the $20 or $30 plus of nicer sketches or the $50 to $100+ of beautiful sketches. It's not so much about the value of the sketch as opposed to the feeling of being ripped off or way overpaying. Getting the right sketch could be a matter of trading, but someone with a low quality sketch doesn't have a chance at trading for a high quality one even if the trader doesn't like the subject matter of the high quality sketch & does like the subject matter of the low quality sketch.

As an example, I think Smokin' Joe should be commended for his efforts, because while I like about 95% of his sketches, I don't think many (if any) would dispute the value and effort he puts in on EVERY SKETCH for EVERY SERIES he works on. Nothing against any other artists, but IMO he has been most consistent with high quality across all series that he has worked on.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 12:40:40 PM by Kook »

anything