Author Topic: Wacky Package Overload  (Read 17642 times)

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
Re: Wacky Package Overload
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2013, 09:49:15 PM »
I remember the good ol days, near the 4th of July, pedaling my bike to the corner store. Buying Wacky's, sparklers, those snap things you throw, a snake tablet thing you light and it grows. Didn't even mind getting dups cuz the art and gags were so wildly cool. No overload, just easy goin' groovey man. Dig it.  :-*
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2013, 10:06:55 PM »
I remember the good ol days, near the 4th of July, pedaling my bike to the corner store. Buying Wacky's, sparklers, those snap things you throw, a snake tablet thing you light and it grows. Didn't even mind getting dups cuz the art and gags were so wildly cool. No overload, just easy goin' groovey man. Dig it.  :-*

Back then it wasn't overload, it was lack-a-wackys. I couldn't find them.

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2013, 09:22:24 AM »
I remember it too! Glad to have had the chance to experience it - don't think it'll ever be like that again.

Now if we could only get that feeling into a pill or can! ;)

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2013, 07:34:42 PM »
Back then it wasn't overload, it was lack-a-wackys. I couldn't find them.

Couldn't find them stinks. I would of probably just given up on them if I couldn't find them back then. Not having a car to go around and check places would of made it nearly impossible.

Offline Porkie

« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2013, 09:45:53 PM »
I bought all my original Wackys (which wasn't that many) from two stores: First was a Rexall Drugs that we rode bikes to that was adjacent to a Food Bowl grocery store. The second, later store was a 7-Eleven.

I still remember when Ice Cube chocolates came out at Rexall they were really expensive for their size: something like 5 or 10 cents (can't recall now) but it was a lot since it was comparable to a pack of Wackys!

I also recall getting a pack at the Rexall that had only one sticker: 3rd series Hired Root Beer - which was a disappointment to get only one sticker, but was ok since I needed that one at the time. I also recall getting three stickers twice - I think on the 4th series - so that made up for it. Not sure what those stickers were except I remember a Cheepios being in those. For some reason I really recall the bubble gum smell with the 7th series too - no idea why! Ha!

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2013, 11:02:18 AM »

Here's an early 70's Snakes box I have...to corroborate the reminisce:

Apollo - Magic Black Snakes - fireworks box - 1970's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Porkie

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2013, 11:32:03 AM »
Awesome! I swear I can almost smell them...

I also remember the "day after" where the scorch marks remained on the pavement and curbs of our street. Sometimes there might even be cold sections of snakes still around that could be stomped underfoot into charcoal dust.

I remember when Chinese Flowers appeared - those were my favorites - loved the zoom-zoom sounds as they furiously spun, changing colors and lightly bouncing around. Amazing innovation there (probably after seeing something fire improperly and move a little like that first).

And for some reason sparklers were another of my faves.

I did buy an entire brick of fire-crackers one year. Quickly learned to twist the dang fuses first or risk a very short/fast fuse! Enjoyed sticking them into a crack on a frisbee and tossing it. And, of course, blowing up various army men and their equipment. Heh.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2013, 06:44:32 PM »
Here's an early 70's Snakes box I have...to corroborate the reminisce:

Apollo - Magic Black Snakes - fireworks box - 1970's by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Yes, I would say that those were the box. Super black round little pellets that really expanded when lit. The black would come off on your fingers too when you handled them. Thanks for the picture post!

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2013, 03:55:16 AM »
Yes, I would say that those were the box. Super black round little pellets that really expanded when lit. The black would come off on your fingers too when you handled them. Thanks for the picture post!

Those were fun!!

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2013, 08:58:04 PM »
On the 4th of July, my son lit a couple of items I had never seen before, including “Poopy Pooch”, one of the latest variations on the classic snakes.

I wonder what they are made of. Compressed gunpowder and charcoal? I found a clip on YouTube.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeY5R8Q0BP8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeY5R8Q0BP8</a>

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2013, 09:24:33 PM »
On the 4th of July, my son lit a couple of items I had never seen before, including “Poopy Pooch”, one of the latest variations on the classic snakes.

I wonder what they are made of. Compressed gunpowder and charcoal? I found a clip on YouTube.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeY5R8Q0BP8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeY5R8Q0BP8</a>

I've never seen that one before. How did your son buy them without you knowing?

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2013, 09:29:18 PM »
I've never seen that one before. How did your son buy them without you knowing?

It was one of the items he selected with his mom at a fireworks booth at a local grocery store parking lot

Offline Porkie

« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2013, 03:55:08 PM »
Heh - interesting difference between us growing up and kids of today with regards to "humor", etc. - these would have never flown back in my childhood - definitely prefer the "snakes" simplicity and "left to the imagination" quality rarely (if ever) encountered anymore.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2013, 03:58:41 PM »

Simply red-neck-u-lous!    :great:
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2013, 04:12:39 PM »
Heh - interesting difference between us growing up and kids of today with regards to "humor", etc. - these would have never flown back in my childhood - definitely prefer the "snakes" simplicity and "left to the imagination" quality rarely (if ever) encountered anymore.

I dunno, I remember sticking lady finger firecrackers in dog doo in the 60s....A

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2013, 09:32:47 PM »

Right. It was a snake that kept on growing and you didn't know when it would end. I guess we all have to realize things will never be as simple as it was back in the 70's. knowing what we know now would we want to go back? For me, I loved the simplify and complexity of my youth. Now everything is so convenient except I have to wait a day for my Amazon order to arrive, What What? Too funny. We may have life too simple now. For me I love it. I hate waiting a week for my Topps order so I do a lot of overnight. Reminds me of the mail in stuff....should arrive in 4-8 weeks. Why?

Offline Mashbox

• Drive Yourself Buggy
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2013, 06:41:55 AM »
Been a long time since I posted here... responding to some of the talk about WP overkill.

I agree there is just too much product to collect now and too much stuff to pursue. Back when you had a base set, a couple of chase inserts and a few bonus cards, it was fine. The parallels, though, were a mistake, because who really cares about a different-colored border. Sure, it was cool when I pulled out a couple of golds and was able to sell or trade them, but the novelty wore off. Now there's just too many inserts to chase around.

I think they also made a mistake by switching how things were done with the Old School sets. Parallel versions of the base stickers was not a good idea. The real appeal was getting a sketch card with each box and some bonus goodies in which, if you wanted them all, you had to buy multiple boxes, but the bonus goodies were cool. The jumbo stickers were a great idea and plenty of people wanted to get all of them. Now they're putting too much stuff into the boxes.

It is true the original series had its rarities and variations. But they weren't planned in advance, they became so because of circumstances that Topps couldn't necessarily control. The Ludlows came about because demand for the first two series was off the charts. Certain stickers got pulled from production because of C&D orders. And I think we all know the story about how certain stickers in the first original series were far more common than others.

I don't mind sketch cards being random inserts in ANS packs but that's the extent I'd go with "rare" chase cards because sketch cards are a unique collectible. The interest in parallels is minimal and I don't understand why card companies keep printing them (Topps isn't the only one who does this). Kill the parallels, stick with two or three chase sets that are unique (magnets and tattoos are fine) and quit trying to do too much.

All the companies are doing is burning out collectors -- not necessarily because they feel they have to collect everything but because there is just too much to keep track of and, in many cases, the actual interest in collecting them is minimal.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2013, 04:50:54 PM »
Been a long time since I posted here... responding to some of the talk about WP overkill.

I agree there is just too much product to collect now and too much stuff to pursue. Back when you had a base set, a couple of chase inserts and a few bonus cards, it was fine. The parallels, though, were a mistake, because who really cares about a different-colored border. Sure, it was cool when I pulled out a couple of golds and was able to sell or trade them, but the novelty wore off. Now there's just too many inserts to chase around.

I think they also made a mistake by switching how things were done with the Old School sets. Parallel versions of the base stickers was not a good idea. The real appeal was getting a sketch card with each box and some bonus goodies in which, if you wanted them all, you had to buy multiple boxes, but the bonus goodies were cool. The jumbo stickers were a great idea and plenty of people wanted to get all of them. Now they're putting too much stuff into the boxes.

It is true the original series had its rarities and variations. But they weren't planned in advance, they became so because of circumstances that Topps couldn't necessarily control. The Ludlows came about because demand for the first two series was off the charts. Certain stickers got pulled from production because of C&D orders. And I think we all know the story about how certain stickers in the first original series were far more common than others.

I don't mind sketch cards being random inserts in ANS packs but that's the extent I'd go with "rare" chase cards because sketch cards are a unique collectible. The interest in parallels is minimal and I don't understand why card companies keep printing them (Topps isn't the only one who does this). Kill the parallels, stick with two or three chase sets that are unique (magnets and tattoos are fine) and quit trying to do too much.

All the companies are doing is burning out collectors -- not necessarily because they feel they have to collect everything but because there is just too much to keep track of and, in many cases, the actual interest in collecting them is minimal.

I agree with just about every word you've written.  The overload, for me, isn't the number of sets released.  In fact, I'm not sure that's changed much.  However, the sets themselves are too complicated and I've lost the "completist" mentality about a year or two ago. 

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2013, 07:27:10 PM »

They can't get away from parallels. They wouldn't sell enough to warrant a new series. With ANS 1 you could spend about $100 in boxes and have everything from the series. I imagine that didn't do so well for Topps so they released the clings early and then the mags for series 2. Double dip! For Topps to sell more they need to follow this strategy. Like it or not its here to stay. Topps is also betting on the sketches to be the draw for the non-LE PC 9 cards. They know this has a limited audience compared to baseball and football cards. They are trying different tactics to sell more product to us old guys...LOL we should have more money to spend than kids.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2013, 06:33:28 PM »
For this old guy, it seems the shark has been jumped. I find myself getting into more other interests lately. It seems to mostly start from my dead interest in buying retail packs in stores. I was so nice to buy an occasional pack and open it to hope you might get a cool pull. But now there are no cool pulls for me. Of course most of us here will never even buy a 'flo' pack. I only buy one because I like to collect wrappers from every series. Like it was said, the task of keeping up with all the variations has become too much and (for me) and has taken away from my desire. I still do love this forum and all the great people here. This forum has more nostalgia then most of the latest series (sad to say).  :'( I'll try to keep posting from time to time, but it will be no where near as much since my time has to go into other interests at this time.  :D

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2013, 07:07:05 PM »
An amusing YouTube video on the Topps overload topic.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AOUA6QaTJE

Offline rdsjnk

« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2013, 07:55:55 PM »
An amusing YouTube video on the Topps overload topic.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AOUA6QaTJE

LOL!  That's funny  :]

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2013, 08:48:00 PM »
now that? that is frickin' gold.
hilarious. and so, so, true.

I'm sure topps will be dumping 'C' cards into ANS11 now as well. this board will be livid over that too.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2013, 09:42:27 AM »

Amusing.  And painful if only because of how much truth is there.

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2013, 10:42:56 AM »

So funny and so true...  that's one of the reason's I limited myself to original titles only.  So I picked up the chase cards with original titles, as well as Old School but that's it....

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2013, 12:11:52 PM »
ESOTERIC and funny!!!!!
A

Offline Smokin Joe

• "Get some for your honey"
    • Smokin' Joe's Art and Illustration
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2013, 03:09:56 PM »
Pure Genius! I love the line about Adam Bomb's cute face! Thanks Jay.
Smokin' Joe

Offline Porkie

« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2013, 10:02:54 PM »
Hilarious! Love the ending.

Offline Kook

« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2013, 05:48:02 AM »

It doesn't get any better than this! If you haven't checked this video out yet, and you need a pick me up, click now!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2013, 09:12:00 AM »
Anyone check out the Topps website today? They have a Labor Day Weekend special with those Fun-Packs again for free when you spend $100. I forgot. Doe those contain anything else besides sketch cards?

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2013, 09:51:22 AM »
Anyone check out the Topps website today? They have a Labor Day Weekend special with those Fun-Packs again for free when you spend $100. I forgot. Doe those contain anything else besides sketch cards?

that would be a NO!! its not a pack its a manila envelope!!

Offline jeffcaff

Re: Wacky Package Fun Pak Weekend
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2013, 10:44:40 AM »
Guess what? 20% coupons are no longer valid for Topps exclusive store items and free shipping is gone as well. Nice.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2013, 08:02:02 AM »
The move to MA must have broke the bank.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2013, 08:47:15 PM »
Guess what? 20% coupons are no longer valid for Topps exclusive store items and free shipping is gone as well. Nice.

That sucks.  I have to say, though, I gave almost no consideration to the sale as there is virtually nothing I really want from Topps right now.  I can't imagine they're going to move a lot of product, which was the whole idea, I assume, in the first place.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2013, 12:41:54 PM »

I got my FedEx package Thursday, but am still waiting for the separate "fun pack" mailing.  You'd think a first class envelope would have arrived before the main shipment, but apparently not.

Anyone else still waiting for a fun pack from Labor Day?

anything