Author Topic: Wacky Package Overload  (Read 17775 times)

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
Wacky Package Overload
« on: June 27, 2013, 06:12:22 AM »
With PC8 at 999 and Halloween 2012 at 666, I can't believe PC9 at 350 is having a hard time selling out quickly - it's 3 days now & still no sell out. I wonder if all the typical resellers opted out because they had a hard time selling off the last series. Does anyone have any idea how many are still left? It also seems they still have their 3 set limit on the LE sets.

I think this also puts the pressure on the binder release (or maybe vice-versa, sluggish PC9 sales due to people budgeting their money for the binders). I'm going to find it difficult to drop $260 or $520 in another 2 weeks on binder release #2 on the heels of the 1st binder release a month ago, and another $200 on this past postcard release. I'd hate to miss them, but it's getting too expensive to keep up.

tru dat BOSS!! and consumer spending was down last qtr...definitely bad timing...

Offline View Monster

• Sights For Sore-Eyes
  • ___ a.k.a. wackyfan ___
    • Non-Sport trading cardz
RE: Wacky Package Overload
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 06:39:34 AM »
With PC8 at 999 and Halloween 2012 at 666, I can't believe PC9 at 350 is having a hard time selling out quickly - it's 3 days now & still no sell out. I wonder if all the typical resellers opted out because they had a hard time selling off the last series. Does anyone have any idea how many are still left? It also seems they still have their 3 set limit on the LE sets.

I think this also puts the pressure on the binder release (or maybe vice-versa, sluggish PC9 sales due to people budgeting their money for the binders). I'm going to find it difficult to drop $260 or $520 in another 2 weeks on binder release #2 on the heels of the 1st binder release a month ago, and another $200 on this past postcard release. I'd hate to miss them, but it's getting too expensive to keep up.

I could keep up financially but I don't think Topps deserves any more of my money. I stopped buying all the new stuff a while back (and sold everything of value while I was at it) because of the seemingly endless inserts, subsets, bonus cards, mini sets, binders, comic books, etc. They just keep coming and coming and they are getting more expensive; plus I felt like I got shit on with the doodle cards, or "sketch" cards I got in PC8. I sold them for a loss on eBay just to get rid of them. I had actual fun when the ANS stuff was first rolling out but the thrill is gone for me. :-[

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 08:09:20 AM »
I could keep up financially but I don't think Topps deserves any more of my money. I stopped buying all the new stuff a while back (and sold everything of value while I was at it) because of the seemingly endless inserts, subsets, bonus cards, mini sets, binders, comic books, etc. They just keep coming and coming and they are getting more expensive; plus I felt like I got shit on with the doodle cards, or "sketch" cards I got in PC8. I sold them for a loss on eBay just to get rid of them. I had actual fun when the ANS stuff was first rolling out but the thrill is gone for me. :-[

Funny, I just talked to my brother a little earlier and he echoed your sentiments exactly. He even passed on the postcard sets I had purchased for him (which is why I have a bunch of stuff for sale on e-Bay right now). I am pretty much at the same point with the exception of the postcards and Old School. I will just be scaling back my purchases in the future and concentrating more on upgrading my OS keeper collection.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 06:04:35 PM by ratchet007 »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 08:21:07 AM »
Funny, I just talked to my brother a little earlier and he echoed your sentiments exactly. He even passed on the postcard sets I had purchased for him (which is why I have a bunch of stuff for sale on e-Bay right now). I am pretty much at the same point with the exception of the postcards and Old School. I will just be scaling back my purchases in the future and concentrating more on upgrading my keeper collection.

It is funny that on a Wacky forum people are having issues with Topps producing so much stuff...LOL
It is a blessing and a curse to us collectors. Who would have thought 10 years ago we would have a 9 year wacky run and that run would actually be saturated in the 9th year?
I think Topps hurt themselves by allowing sketches from any series. This started with OLDS4 and it was really cool to not have any idea what character you would pull. This also continued with ANS10 and will with ANS11. This is now true with PC9. I would probably buy more PC9 sets if Topps allowed it but after seeing repeat characters I don't want to take a chance because I have so many sketches of those characters when each PC set was released. I don't know why Topps allowed this? I also won't go crazy for ANS11 and probably OLDS5 because of this. I will actually start collecting like a normal collector again...HaHa My wallet will feel so much better!

Offline View Monster

• Sights For Sore-Eyes
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 08:30:48 AM »
Funny, I just talked to my brother a little earlier and he echoed your sentiments exactly. He even passed on the postcard sets I had purchased for him (which is why I have a bunch of stuff for sale on e-Bay right now). I am pretty much at the same point with the exception of the postcards and Old School. I will just be scaling back my purchases in the future and concentrating more on upgrading my keeper collection.

I still really enjoy the Old School series and I will continue to buy them, unless they get out of hand like the ANS stuff has. If I have to buy 19 boxes to get everything there is to collect then they will get the same treatment as the other stuff. I guess I should thank Topps for killing the "completist" in me.

Offline View Monster

• Sights For Sore-Eyes
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 08:37:08 AM »
It is funny that on a Wacky forum people are having issues with Topps producing so much stuff...LOL

I still thoroughly enjoy all of the people here and hanging out on this forum but the spend spend spend is gone for me.  :great:

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 08:51:48 AM »
It is a blessing and a curse to us collectors. Who would have thought 10 years ago we would have a 9 year wacky run and that run would actually be saturated in the 9th year?
I think Topps hurt themselves by allowing sketches from any series. This started with OLDS4 and it was really cool to not have any idea what character you would pull. This also continued with ANS10 and will with ANS11. This is now true with PC9. I would probably buy more PC9 sets if Topps allowed it but after seeing repeat characters I don't want to take a chance because I have so many sketches of those characters when each PC set was released. I don't know why Topps allowed this? I also won't go crazy for ANS11 and probably OLDS5 because of this. I will actually start collecting like a normal collector again...HaHa My wallet will feel so much better!

Personally I think Topps should do sets into May 2014 and then shut the door on new Wackys for another 10 years or so.  The market is already flooded with new Wackys, and it would let collectors pick items up over time without the rush of completing a series before the next one comes out.

However as long as we keep buying the product I'm sure they will keep producing it. 

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Kook

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 09:11:26 AM »
However as long as we keep buying the product I'm sure they will keep producing it. 

Seems like that tide is turning. Releases are taking much longer to sell out...
PC9LE still hasn't sold out yet with only 350 released. Olds4 is still on sale, How long do you think it will take to sell 800 more PC9 sketches? Comics # 1, 3 & 4 are still available. Wacky posters are also still available. 

Many are commenting on the increasing frequency & price, and the releases seem to be getting larger, more expensive & complicated in spite of it all. Time will tell.

On the flipside, upgrading & pursuing original series stuff is a much more fulfilling pursuit for me. Just like real estate, they're not making any more of it, and it is the actual stuff we would collect as kids, which is what brought us all here today.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 09:17:31 AM »
I think I opened up a can of Wormy Packages...HaHa :]
It really is a good conversation and I will move it to a new thread.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
Seems like that tide is turning. Releases are taking much longer to sell out...
PC9LE still hasn't sold out yet with only 350 released. Olds4 is still on sale, How long do you think it will take to sell 800 more PC9 sketches? Comics # 1, 3 & 4 are still available. Wacky posters are also still available. 

Many are commenting on the increasing frequency & price, and the releases seem to be getting larger, more expensive & complicated in spite of it all. Time will tell.

On the flipside, upgrading & pursuing original series stuff is a much more fulfilling pursuit for me. Just like real estate, they're not making any more of it, and it is the actual stuff we would collect as kids, which is what brought us all here today.

Sometimes I wonder if they stopped producing new Wackys soon, would I pursue some of the rare sets (such as the recent ANS10 red ludlows) over the next 20 years or so?  Once the flood gates are shut then you can consider collecting some of these subsets as a longterm goal, similar to how I am collecting the 1973 Ludlows.  I could see that as a possibility, but if they keep doing the super rare sets like this past ANS10 wit the exception of the super wealthy it will be too overwhelming.  It's already pretty overwhelming as it sits now.

Offline View Monster

• Sights For Sore-Eyes
Re: RE: Wacky Package Overload
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 09:40:00 AM »
I think I opened up a can of Wormy Packages...HaHa :]
It really is a good conversation and I will move it to a new thread.

Thanks for moving it, I really didn't want to rain on anyone's PC9 enjoyment. It's good to get this stuff out in the open and see how us collectors really feel about the ebb and flow of the hobby in general.

Offline Shrunken Donuts

Re: Wacky Package Overload
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 09:46:56 AM »
people are definitely burning out.I know I have and I can sense it with others as well.like I said previously they are simply coming out with too much stuff to collect at too fast of a pace and at expensive prices.  Its very hard from a financial standpoint and a sanity standpoint. The chase cards and subsets are absolutely ridiculous.I mean really think about this for a second. this company has put out color border variations of SUBSETS.  if that is not crossing the line of greed I don't know what it is.also like I said before most of this newer stuff does not hold its value well at all. not that we're all buying this stuff as an "investment" but it is discouraging to see what a lot of the stuff is bringing a few years later SHOULD you need to sell anything.

Offline View Monster

• Sights For Sore-Eyes
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 09:56:50 AM »
people are definitely burning out.I know I have and I can sense it with others as well.like I said previously they are simply coming out with too much stuff to collect at too fast of a pace and at expensive prices.  Its very hard from a financial standpoint and a sanity standpoint. The chase cards and subsets are absolutely ridiculous.I mean really think about this for a second. this company has put out color border variations of SUBSETS.  if that is not crossing the line of greed I don't know what it is.also like I said before most of this newer stuff does not hold its value well at all. not that we're all buying this stuff as an "investment" but it is discouraging to see what a lot of the stuff is bringing a few years later SHOULD you need to sell anything.

I remember early on in the ANS run my wife and I would go have a nice breakfast or lunch somewhere and then go hit every Target, Wal-Mart and Toys Я Us in the area in search of the bonus boxes, blister packs and retail boxes. I would get so excited when they finally started showing up on the shelves and getting home and opening packs and finding the chase items and reading about the other forum members findings. She never really cared for the stuff but she liked being part of the hunt, and the scores. I would give her a pile of packs to open and she found a gold card once. She saw where the thrill was in it....I truly miss those days and my wife does also.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 10:04:11 AM »

The bottomline is that collectors who are content to just get the base sets and maybe some of the easier subsets are fine with it all, but the collectors who have the "checklist" mentality of wanting one of every item are screwed, or at least very frustrated. 

I really hope I don't need to sell off my collection at some point because the financial depreciation would be enormous. 

Just as an example I have an extra Flashback series 2 Gold set that @ 6-8 collectors spent at least $7,500.00 to assemble when it was first released.  I listed my extra set last year for $3,000.00 and it didn't sell, and I think the highest offer I had was $2,000.00!   

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 10:53:46 AM »
I remember early on in the ANS run my wife and I would go have a nice breakfast or lunch somewhere and then go hit every Target, Wal-Mart and Toys Я Us in the area in search of the bonus boxes, blister packs and retail boxes. I would get so excited when they finally started showing up on the shelves and getting home and opening packs and finding the chase items and reading about the other forum members findings. She never really cared for the stuff but she liked being part of the hunt, and the scores. I would give her a pile of packs to open and she found a gold card once. She saw where the thrill was in it....I truly miss those days and my wife does also.

If i was going to say, this is what i would.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 11:04:19 AM »

Your recollection sounds quite a bit like mine.  I recall going on numerous road trips and stopping at Walmarts and Targets along the way to pick up what I could.  Of course, I ended up with an overload of base sets, which wasn't so good, but I don't know that I ever spent more than $200 on an early ANS release and I could honestly say I had everything that particular series had to offer.  Now, at least with ANS, I have minimal enthusiasm and just hope that there will be some subset (like the magnets) that are worth putting any money and/or effort into getting.  I don't mean to say the thrill is completely gone, but it's about 20% of what it used to be.

Offline Shrunken Donuts

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2013, 03:45:10 PM »
I wish Topps would have just stuck with the formula they used for the early ANS releases.  something like a base set, a couple bonus cards, and maybe one or two subsets with reasonable odds.  Somewhere along the way things just got way out of hand.  I think the Flashbacks may have been the beginning of the downfall. up to that point it was possible to get every card variation. it was nearly impossible to be a completist after that and topps did nothing to get things back under control. If anything the short lived gold craze created a bigger monster.

(You'll never) COLLECT 'EM ALL!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 03:48:24 PM by Shrunken Donuts »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2013, 03:57:03 PM »
I'm feeling overwhelmed since the binders came out, but I don't want to see new Wacky issues stopped.  In my "perfect world" the ANS issues would be like ANS4, maybe two series a year, and Old School would continue with one series each year.  I'd also want one regular and one Halloween postcard series each year, but not with sketches in the "non-limited" edition sets, as that prices some people out entirely.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2013, 04:24:50 PM »
I'm feeling overwhelmed since the binders came out, but I don't want to see new Wacky issues stopped.  In my "perfect world" the ANS issues would be like ANS4, maybe two series a year, and Old School would continue with one series each year.  I'd also want one regular and one Halloween postcard series each year, but not with sketches in the "non-limited" edition sets, as that prices some people out entirely.

I think you're right. I listed RE sets and bonus on eBay this afternoon and sold one set and 2 bonus cards. I think some collectors don't care about sketches and don't want to pay the higher price.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2013, 05:59:09 PM »
I like your perfect world scenario :)
However, I'm glad Topps is releasing tons of Wacky stuff.
Remember how much fun it was to hunt down the clothes, folders, notepads, etc, around ANS2?
The difference is back then things were more affordable.
The cosmic prices of things like the latest comics, binders, ANS10 collector stuff, is plain silly.
Even the Postcard pricing is getting up there. I used to buy a handful of each type (LE & RE), but this time around only one of each.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2013, 06:04:24 PM »
You don't have to buy anything. It's available but a person can just say no. I have no will power :] :]

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2013, 06:05:18 PM »

(You'll never) COLLECT 'EM ALL!
LOL! Sad but true...

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2013, 08:13:18 PM »
people are definitely burning out.I know I have and I can sense it with others as well.like I said previously they are simply coming out with too much stuff to collect at too fast of a pace and at expensive prices.  Its very hard from a financial standpoint and a sanity standpoint. The chase cards and subsets are absolutely ridiculous.
AMEN BROTHER! That sums up how I feel in a nut shell.
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2013, 09:17:53 PM »

Well said - echoes my thoughts too.

I bought three of the LE PC9 sets but am debating returning some/all after they arrive. This is amazing to me.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2013, 09:37:31 PM »
Well said - echoes my thoughts too.

I bought three of the LE PC9 sets but am debating returning some/all after they arrive. This is amazing to me.

What do you mean returning them? I can't believe you guys. Really? We have had postcards in the past why are people dising the postcards? This is the only PC release since Halloween. This is nothing new and the next PC release will be in October. I guess my thing is the ANS releases. These should be once a year and I would be happy. I also think OLDS should be once a year.

I guess I'm trying to wrap my head around what is bugging me about the frequent releases and after thinking it through I think I found it.

1. 2 ANS releases in a year with too much too collect. I spent too much money on ANS10 and now there is another release so quickly.
2. The comics are cheap but to get the sketches we had to buy more stuff at Topps to get a chance at one.
3. I love the new binders but the timing couldn't be worse.

I think number 1 is what is killing me. Way too much stuff to collect. If we only had one ANS release this year with all the collectables, people would be fine but 2 so close to each other is putting a bad vibe with collectors. Plus you throw in the binders that are every 2 months its starting to feel like I have to spend about $500 a month to keep up. Plus, don't we have a new comic coming out soon? Why not sell the comic for $20 and add one LE sketch or something like that?

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2013, 03:09:43 AM »
BRING BACK THE 5 cent PACKS. Thats what they ought to do

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2013, 05:14:25 AM »
BRING BACK THE 5 cent PACKS. Thats what they ought to do
yeah, except they'd be collector edition 5 cent packs that cost 5 dollars

Offline Swiski

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2013, 05:27:53 AM »
On a similar subject relating to frustration with Topps...people on the Star Wars cards forums are PO'd at Topps because their online store was selling a Star Wars Galactic Files Deluxe Card Set with Printing Plates for $499, when they could have waited and bought it a lot cheaper from an online card vendor. What happened is that Topps removed this item from their site because of poor sales and wholesaled the remaining stock to online card vendors. I actually don't mind this move. I never bought a set from Topps, but I picked up a set from DACardWorld for $349 shipped! That's $150 savings! So I'm not sure if these SW collectors have an argument with Topps. Like all merchandise, you pay full price if you gotta have it first, or wait a while to get it at a discounted price.

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2013, 08:24:07 AM »
   That is true of books.  This item is a great deal now:  http://www.hamiltonbook.com/norman-saunders

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2013, 08:53:33 AM »
What do you mean returning them? I can't believe you guys. Really? We have had postcards in the past why are people dising the postcards? This is the only PC release since Halloween. This is nothing new and the next PC release will be in October. I guess my thing is the ANS releases. These should be once a year and I would be happy. I also think OLDS should be once a year.

I guess I'm trying to wrap my head around what is bugging me about the frequent releases and after thinking it through I think I found it.

1. 2 ANS releases in a year with too much too collect. I spent too much money on ANS10 and now there is another release so quickly.
2. The comics are cheap but to get the sketches we had to buy more stuff at Topps to get a chance at one.
3. I love the new binders but the timing couldn't be worse.

I think number 1 is what is killing me. Way too much stuff to collect. If we only had one ANS release this year with all the collectables, people would be fine but 2 so close to each other is putting a bad vibe with collectors. Plus you throw in the binders that are every 2 months its starting to feel like I have to spend about $500 a month to keep up. Plus, don't we have a new comic coming out soon? Why not sell the comic for $20 and add one LE sketch or something like that?

To me the essence of collecting is similar to how it was when we were kids.  When I was a kid opening new Wackys I couldn't wait to see the new titles as I opened the packs, but I also enjoyed the challenge of getting one of each, so when I checked off that final box on that checklist there was a feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment.

With today's Wackys you can't possibly do that.  Collecting today has gravitated to more of a "lottery ticket" mentality which is good for the dealers but bad for the completist collectors.

In my perfect world all of the new series would be reasonably attainable without spending thousands of dollars, but I think those days are over.

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2013, 09:55:25 AM »
To me the essence of collecting is similar to how it was when we were kids.  When I was a kid opening new Wackys I couldn't wait to see the new titles as I opened the packs, but I also enjoyed the challenge of getting one of each, so when I checked off that final box on that checklist there was a feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment.

With today's Wackys you can't possibly do that.  Collecting today has gravitated to more of a "lottery ticket" mentality which is good for the dealers but bad for the completist collectors.

In my perfect world all of the new series would be reasonably attainable without spending thousands of dollars, but I think those days are over.

I am nowhere near as completist as some of you here, but with ANS1-6 one could complete the series - even the obscure ANS5 variation set - after-the-fact and not for a fortune. It was obtainable and not unreasonable.

Really starting with the Flashback series and the colored borders Wackys took on an "artificially induced rarity" simply by changing the border color. No new art. No rare card in and of itself. Just a rare border style. I spent a lot of time and $$$ chasing ANS7 and 8 and the burn out started for me there.

The Old School ludlows were fun with their variations, but after they were added to ANS it also took on a completely different quality to me. It lessened the uniqueness of having them in Old School - at least for me. I notice now that I do not plan to collect any more Old School sets like 3 and 4 (getting all variations, etc.) and will simply look for after-market sets such as the very cool Baseball Subset. Even there I was mildly irritated after-the-fact that the Red Bordered Weakies only seemed to be rare at first due to the way Topps printed them. This also left a bad taste in my mouth. But I still enjoyed collecting these - I just don't see myself doing this again next time.

With PC9 I was disappointed with the mix of characters - I too expected them to be unique to PC9. This has made me unsure of whether or not I will keep all 3 sets (I may keep 1 and return 2, etc.). Will have to wait until they are actually in my hands. :)

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2013, 09:41:09 PM »

This approach is very appealing to me.  I think ANS4 was the high point of the all new series: quality stickers, appealing inserts of original wackys, a small but do-able amount of chasing to "collect 'em all", and not breaking the bank in the process.  Sure, there were no sketch cards, which I really enjoy, but would be happy if they were left to OLDS and postcard series.

I do still like the idea of there being some licensed merchandise.  I did enjoy the chase for school supplies, t-shirts, and the like.  I wish there was some more of that happening these days.  I spent less on a cool pair of Ajerx boxers or a Weakies t-shirt than I have on four packs of ANS10 and felt I got a far better value for my money.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2013, 07:44:25 PM »
To me the essence of collecting is similar to how it was when we were kids. 

They're bringing back that sense of being a kid again with inflation ratio. Back when you were a kid, in a relative way, Wacky's were kind of expensive compared to the allowance you made from doing chores. Now that you are older, you have more moolah to spend, so really the higher prices for all Wacky products are justified. Damn I'm good at sarcasm.  :great:
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Swiski

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2013, 11:10:20 AM »
On the back of the April Fools comic book, there is an ad for an upcoming promotion showing Uncle Sam. Was this suppose to be a July 4th promotion that fell through?

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2013, 03:26:22 PM »
On the back of the April Fools comic book, there is an ad for an upcoming promotion showing Uncle Sam. Was this suppose to be a July 4th promotion that fell through?
it's not the 4th yet....   :]

can't say I'd be super excited to see another comic show up this week though. another item for the sense of overload

anything