Author Topic: Question On Repeated Products  (Read 2491 times)

Offline 7-Pup

Question On Repeated Products
« on: June 18, 2013, 06:53:08 PM »
Is there a reason why some products are repeated in All New Series and postcard sets but not in an Old School Series? I understand Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Dr. Pepper, Dunkin' Donuts and Trix as those products were done in the 70's. But what about Frosted Flakes, Lucky Charms and Ring Pop to name a few? Is there a reason those product are not done in an Old School series but repeated in ANS?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
Re: Question On Repeated Products
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 10:05:04 AM »
Is there a reason why some products are repeated in All New Series and postcard sets but not in an Old School Series? I understand Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Dr. Pepper, Dunkin' Donuts and Trix as those products were done in the 70's. But what about Frosted Flakes, Lucky Charms and Ring Pop to name a few? Is there a reason those product are not done in an Old School series but repeated in ANS?

Part of the reason may be the sheer # of titles that have been produced with ANS vs Old School.  There's been @ 132 Old School titles and 520 ANS titles (not inc. bonus titles).  If you keep doing series with 55 or more title eventually you'll need to start duping the same item with alternate parodies.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 02:56:39 PM »

I have been avoiding doing any repeats of original series products in Old School but would be perfectly fine with Frosted Flakes, Lucky Charms, etc being in Old School in their 70s packaging since they were not done in the OS (Snatch-A-Pak non-withstanding). I just wanted to hit Freakies, Ka-Boom and the other classic 70s stuff first since they haven't had numerous interpretations so far.

The reason for seeing ANS having repeats is they are not concerned with that. They just want the most popular kid friendly products and the best gags possible regardless.

Offline 7-Pup

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 02:35:37 AM »
I have been avoiding doing any repeats of original series products in Old School but would be perfectly fine with Frosted Flakes, Lucky Charms, etc being in Old School in their 70s packaging since they were not done in the OS (Snatch-A-Pak non-withstanding). I just wanted to hit Freakies, Ka-Boom and the other classic 70s stuff first since they haven't had numerous interpretations so far.

The reason for seeing ANS having repeats is they are not concerned with that. They just want the most popular kid friendly products and the best gags possible regardless.
Speaking of Snatch-A-Pak, any chance to do another parody of a variety cereal package. I seem to remember another variety pack back in the 70's called "Variety" with 9 cereal boxes. Also, Snatch-A-Pak would make a great cereal box tray with trading card size stickers of the 3 mini titles.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 11:37:20 AM »
Speaking of Snatch-A-Pak, any chance to do another parody of a variety cereal package. I seem to remember another variety pack back in the 70's called "Variety" with 9 cereal boxes. Also, Snatch-A-Pak would make a great cereal box tray with trading card size stickers of the 3 mini titles.

Even though I'm losing interest in the ANS wackys due to the way-too-complex/confusing amounts of inserts, increase in bodily humor, and what I see as a decline of overall quality, the one thing that has stood out as a great improvement over the earlier ANS is the collectible cereal boxes.  Yes, they would be better if they allowed for the chance of a sketch card, but the cereal boxes themselves are wonderful.  I like how OLDS has kept very close to the roots of Wackys from the 70's, but I'd be more than happy to overlook it if OLDS also did cereal boxes.  There have already been some awesome titles in just the first four series and, if done in limited numbers (we don't need nine different boxes for one series), I think they would be a terrific addition to the OLDS line.