Author Topic: Limited Edition Prints??  (Read 5875 times)

Offline OrangeCrush

Limited Edition Prints??
« on: June 06, 2013, 06:38:55 PM »
I am an avid collector of lithographs and prints. Of all the different collecting hobbies I have, which I have WAY too many, prints have always been one of my favorites. I probably spend more on prints and lithographs each month than I do most of my other hobbies combined. The sheer number of prints that are now available is nothing short of mind blowing. As I am sure everyone in here is aware, the low cost of high quality printers have really, for the first time, given artists the ability to make their own professional level prints. Even screen printers can now easily make their own screens for printing (this particular genre of the print market has absolutely exploded in recent years). Basically, with a mid level Epson printer, people can now make amazing quality prints, in the 13 x19 size range, for just 1.50-2.00 per print. I buy prints from many different companies that do all of their own printing in house and that got me to thinking, Limited Edition Wacky Packages prints would be an amazing idea.

For a small investment of just $3-4k, Topps could start producing, in house, limited edition prints for Wacky packages. The only people that get to enjoy Wacky Packages art in sizes larger than a postcard are the people that buy the original art and lets face it, not many collectors can afford to buy original Wacky Packages Art. Yes, you do have the posters but the posters just aren't the same. The quality is low and there are multiple creases throughout the poster. I love collecting prints and I have no interest at all in Wacky Packages posters. Imagine Topps creating signed and numbered 13 x19 limited edition prints that had edition sizes of 100-200 and sold for roughly $29.99 per print. Given the sheer magnitude of Wacky packages artwork they possess, combined with the fact that they could produce high quality prints in house for just 1.50 to 2.00 each....well, they could make a decent amount of money off of selling such prints. At that price, they would make roughly 3-5k in profit (depending on edition size) per print. I would love to be able to buy my favorite Wacky packages art in a limited edition print format. I also think such prints would have potential to significantly increase in value as time goes on. I am curious what other people think of this idea. I emailed Topps customer service about this topic a few weeks back but I never heard back. If there are people out there that like this idea, please follow suit! Email Topps and express your interest in this idea. Who knows, maybe if enough people email them expressing their interest, they might actually make a couple test prints and test the market out. Anyways, let me know what you think?

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
Re: Limited Edition Prints??
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 07:11:11 PM »
No interest personally.

Have you seen these? Not prints like you are talking about, but they are large sized and high quality.

http://www.walls360.com/category-s/2325.htm

Offline OrangeCrush

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 03:44:48 AM »
No interest personally.

Have you seen these? Not prints like you are talking about, but they are large sized and high quality.

http://www.walls360.com/category-s/2325.htm

Yeah, I have seen those before. Wall graphics are all the rage right now but that kind of thing doesn't really interest me. My main interest is limited edition prints in the 13x19 to 20x24 size range. Limited edition is a must and the edition size would have to be below 250 (would prefer 100) for me to buy a significant number of them.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 03:33:43 PM »
I like this idea very much.  I think I would prefer something in a smaller size, maybe 8 by 10 so they could nicely fit into a binder and the art would still look very sharp.  I'll try my hand at voicing this to Topps (though I'm not optimistic about their response, even though it seems like a great idea).