Author Topic: OS5 Subset Ideas  (Read 2730 times)

Offline 7-Pup

OS5 Subset Ideas
« on: June 02, 2013, 07:51:22 PM »
Ideas for OS5 subsets. OS4 baseball cards were fantastic. If not done again, how about football cards? Also, those wonky packages were pretty cool. How about a subset of those with 1 title from each original series?

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
Re: OS5 Subset Ideas
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 02:38:20 AM »
How about Wacky Farmer's Market cards, where instead of mocking the labels of products we spoof unlabeled items that are sold by the pound.  Monstersanto Corn...we show some ears of corn where each kernel has teeth and is eating an insect  and maybe a few are eating away at human DNA or internal organs.    Phewtatoes...we show potatos genetically engineered so that they can't reproduce and if you want to plant potatoes from 'em you can't...and you gotta buy "seed potatoes".  So each humanoid potato would have little vasectomy scars or hysterectomy scars...or something like that.  What happened to the satire that used to be a part of this stuff?  Whither are we drifting with these things?  Instead of smashing false icons, the characters themselves on these things have become icons. 

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 09:59:44 PM »
How about Wacky Farmer's Market cards, where instead of mocking the labels of products we spoof unlabeled items that are sold by the pound.  Monstersanto Corn...we show some ears of corn where each kernel has teeth and is eating an insect  and maybe a few are eating away at human DNA or internal organs.    Phewtatoes...we show potatos genetically engineered so that they can't reproduce and if you want to plant potatoes from 'em you can't...and you gotta buy "seed potatoes".  So each humanoid potato would have little vasectomy scars or hysterectomy scars...or something like that.  What happened to the satire that used to be a part of this stuff?  Whither are we drifting with these things?  Instead of smashing false icons, the characters themselves on these things have become icons. 

Jay, as someone who once worked for Monsanto, collecting data in the corn fields, I appreciate Monsanto spoofs (my wife still works for, “The Mon” and I tease her and tell her she brings home dirty money). Gone are the days of protesting big oil. GMO’s are the new fodder for the save the planet protesters. Personally, I’m offended by the bottled water companies. And magnet therapy.

[expando]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z332/rbishop224/Mon7_zps4a0d1e0d.png[/expando] [expando]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z332/rbishop224/Mon2_zpsf0a9f3b7.jpg[/expando] [expando]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z332/rbishop224/Mon3a_zpsf77ac5bd.jpg[/expando]

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 10:00:45 PM »

Ideas for OS5 subsets.

Color sketch card reprints – a best of Old School sketches subset

I guess lenticular magnets are out of the question

Offline Go_Bum

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 03:26:50 PM »
I’d like to see the 5x7’s return. I’d really love to see a subset of re-pro die-cut and/or wacky ads. It would be cool to have an official topps re-pro of ratz, cracked and good and empty etc.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 05:41:26 PM »
Diecut pop-up Wackys, like the centerfold type pages you see in children's books. Using favorite classic wacky parodies.
Full Wacky Ads for parody products after the original diecuts and ads (and their reprints), for original series OS3-16.
Remember Foldees? Use the concept for the most memorable Wacky personalities depicted on the parodies, like the sleeping
Mr Money Penny on Monotony...or Tony from Run Tony....etc
Wackys for classic old products before 1967....
A

Offline Wgblood

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 07:18:24 PM »
I think it would be cool to see a sub set of mugshots of some of the more nefarious Wacky characters - Hawaii. Punks, run tony, jail-o, etc.  And the checklist for the set could feature a police lineup of the characters a la The Usual Suspects.

Offline 7-Pup

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 08:03:44 PM »
I’d like to see the 5x7’s return. I’d really love to see a subset of re-pro die-cut and/or wacky ads. It would be cool to have an official topps re-pro of ratz, cracked and good and empty etc.
Most of the Wacky Ads from 1969 were reprinted on the back side of cards from one or both of the Flashback Series.  If that hadn't been done, then yes, that would be a cool idea.