Author Topic: BINDERS .... SPOILERS!  (Read 30543 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: BINDERS .... SPOILERS!
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2013, 08:46:14 PM »
Speak for thyself.

Thyself thinks all of us collectors are crazy in what we do. To a normal person we are all unrational. Maybe we are borderline horders? Actually collecting anything really doesn't make much sense. Why do we need to collect what we do. Why do we collect? I think our brains are wired differently than the norm. I know I just opened a can of worms with that statement. I'm serious, I'm still trying to figure out why I have such a passion for collecting and keeping cards as a collection. What does it do for me? For me collecting brings me back to my childhood. I got back a piece of my childhood in collecting Wackys. It's a small piece but it makes me happy. I have so much nastalgia running through my head when I look thru my collection. I also have certain senses and smells. It's odd bit I do. I can't explain it. I guess I'm very sentimental.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2013, 03:34:42 AM »
 It's a small piece but it makes me happy. I have so much nastalgia running through my head when I look thru my collection. I also have certain senses and smells. It's odd bit I do. I can't explain it. [/quote]  I fully agree with this. I have never seen anyone else mention the senses and smells but I experience that. Its like you re-experience a sense or smell that is from 40 years ago and there is no other way to conjure it back. It's a "Deja Vue" moment you get when you open certain WP items. Nice job of putting that into words, Brad. Those feeling are a big part of what makes me go against logic when it comes to Wacky's. This is a passion for me/ not a business.

Andrew

Offline Swiski

« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2013, 04:29:13 AM »
I love the spine design on those older vintage binders from a few years back. Who produced them? I noticed they are now popping up on eBay again.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2013, 04:54:09 AM »
The wraparound binder covers remind me of the covers for DC Comics Who's Who comics. This got me thinking...Topps should release fact packs (Facty Packages?) which you could purchase later from Topps online and insert into the binders. They could showcase the characters on the Wacky Packages, giving them an identity and a funny background story. Or...these fact sheets could also offer history on the parodies, the artists, writers, etc. I would buy these fact packs without owning the binders. Just a thought to give additional value to the binders. Here are pics of the DC comics I'm talking about...

« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 07:17:28 AM by Swiski »

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2013, 05:28:46 AM »
I have been mulling around ideas of what to do with these binders. Since there is alot of extra room after putting in each single series and the puzzle ;what about putting the corresponding ANS in each binder. Topps did not make binders for ANS until ANS7 so we are missing binders for alot of ANS anyway.  I dont have room on my Wacky Binder Shelf for all 17 binders if something else dosn't go away. I have some binders for Flashbacks I could lose and put flashbacks in extra space in these new binders also. The other sets like album stickers, reprints, irish , 91 ect could also go into these binders.

Andrew

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2013, 06:05:34 AM »
I love the spine design on those older vintage binders from a few years back. Who produced them? I noticed they are now popping up on eBay again.

Non-Sport Update magazine (NSU) produced the older binders, with permission from Topps.  Here's what the ad looked like:

Offline mcuddy17

« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2013, 07:17:36 AM »
Well I've emailed support@etopps and storehelp@topps.com and still haven't heard anything. I assume someone is getting a puzzle with 2 upper right pieces and a minimum of 25% chance that someone here will get it. If that happens we can swap!

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2013, 03:14:00 PM »
Thyself thinks all of us collectors are crazy in what we do. To a normal person we are all unrational. Maybe we are borderline horders? Actually collecting anything really doesn't make much sense. Why do we need to collect what we do. Why do we collect? I think our brains are wired differently than the norm. I know I just opened a can of worms with that statement. I'm serious, I'm still trying to figure out why I have such a passion for collecting and keeping cards as a collection. What does it do for me? For me collecting brings me back to my childhood. I got back a piece of my childhood in collecting Wackys. It's a small piece but it makes me happy. I have so much nastalgia running through my head when I look thru my collection. I also have certain senses and smells. It's odd bit I do. I can't explain it. I guess I'm very sentimental.

When we hit that 40's to 50's timeframe we often get really nostalgic. I certainly did. I decided to recollect Wackys when I found out I could (2009 or so) and have had great fun doing so. They bring back very happy childhood memories for me of a simpler time. There is just something about them (the vintage series especially) that Greg outlined well somewhere on his site (I don't have the link handy but it's there).

I noticed at one point that it started becoming "not as fun" for me though -- a type of mild obsession -- when I started collecting multiples of things just to have them, and especially when I was buying tons of the newer ANS stuff and not enjoying it at all. Like trying to get that initial "high" from them over and over. I've noticed since that there is a huge difference for me between the fun collecting and the other kind (whatever it is). I've unplugged myself from the latter.

I've noticed a shift in the energy around Wackys for me recently as I got back to the core of why I love them and am now thinning out my collecting to only what I truly love in them. In the process I'm now going back through and will be selling off all my dupes and extras. I'm no where near as big a collector as many of you but I still have a lot to go through!

I had the same thing happen over the past few years with Matchbox Lesney cars and Hotwheels Redlines, though I kept my recollecting to only "if it's fun" and not obsessed/addicted in any way. I've filled in the ones I really want and let go of the rest. Even my wife is enjoying these! I'm actually much happier knowing why I want to collect them and keeping it simple.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2013, 08:15:33 PM »
When will the remaining 12 binders be out?

Also: Looking at Trina Robbins' art for Cheetah in D.C.'s Who's Who in 1985 reminded me: How come she didn't try out to be a 1985 or 1991-1992 Wacky Packages artist?

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2013, 08:57:33 PM »

Also: Looking at Trina Robbins' art for Cheetah in D.C.'s Who's Who in 1985 reminded me: How come she didn't try out to be a 1985 or 1991-1992 Wacky Packages artist?

Good question! She has such a distinctive style that she could make some of those parodies look the 'real' product.
A

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2013, 01:20:21 AM »

According to the Topps page for the binders, the release schedule is:

Series A (1-4) May, 2013
    Series B (5-8) July, 2013
    Series C (9-12) September, 2013
    Series D (13-16) November, 2013

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2013, 12:46:12 PM »
Finally got my first order of binders. Overall I'm really happy with my pulls. I got one of the rare color but it's just the logo...LOL Dang!
Couple observations:
1. Why are some of the puzzle backs upside down? I even got a Kirscht sketch that's upside down.
2. Love the binders. Really nice texture. It's almost like a painted canvas.
3. Topps does know who gets what sketches. They just put them in the sealed envelope to protect them.

here are my pulls from today.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2013, 01:42:26 PM »
Hey hey hey - the first color binder sketch - congrats
A

Offline Shrunken Donuts

« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2013, 01:44:17 PM »
I'm digging those Simko sketches.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2013, 02:18:16 PM »
Nice sketches. Congrats on the color.

Andrew

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2013, 03:48:01 PM »
I'm digging those Simko sketches.
Joe does some great work!

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2013, 05:06:56 AM »
Finally got my first order of binders. Overall I'm really happy with my pulls. I got one of the rare color but it's just the logo...LOL Dang!
Couple observations:
1. Why are some of the puzzle backs upside down? I even got a Kirscht sketch that's upside down.
2. Love the binders. Really nice texture. It's almost like a painted canvas.
3. Topps does know who gets what sketches. They just put them in the sealed envelope to protect them.

1.  Maybe a specific sketch is drawn upside down, but it doesn't look to me like the other puzzle backs are upside down (at least not if the fronts are assembled correctly).
2.  I like the canvas look and feel as well.  But the empty spines look terrible.
3.  Do you really think Topps knows who got which sketches?  They couldn't even make sure the puzzles were assembled correctly.

What I'd like to see are small posters of the original artwork for each binder, without the superimposed logos.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2013, 07:28:20 AM »
1.  Maybe a specific sketch is drawn upside down, but it doesn't look to me like the other puzzle backs are upside down (at least not if the fronts are assembled correctly).

The fronts do seem to be assembled correctly. Look at my scans and horrid and commie are upside down.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2013, 01:00:27 PM »
I finally sit down to look at everything and I find this:

How does this happen?

I just got one the same as yours.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2013, 01:19:28 PM »
Here is my second and last batch. Got another color! I also got a couple low number sets if that gets anyone excited.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #90 on: June 05, 2013, 04:37:19 PM »
Here is my second and last batch. Got another color! I also got a couple low number sets if that gets anyone excited.

LOL. fix that puzzle.
it's driving me crazy that folks don't re-arrange the series 2 cards in the 9-pocket page before posting pics here and on ebay.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #91 on: June 05, 2013, 06:18:18 PM »
LOL. fix that puzzle.
it's driving me crazy that folks don't re-arrange the series 2 cards in the 9-pocket page before posting pics here and on ebay.

I could but as you can see I have 2 duplicate puzzle pieces so I said screw it. Ill wait for Topps to fix this error.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #92 on: June 05, 2013, 06:47:40 PM »
I could but as you can see I have 2 duplicate puzzle pieces so I said screw it. Ill wait for Topps to fix this error.

i am missing series 4 upper right..WITH THE WACKY LOGO....NOW i have to call those a-holes at topps to get it fixed...all that $$$ and they can't even put a puzzle together..BTW ALL THE SKETCHES S/H BEEN COLOR....MAYBE THEY WILL FIX FOR THE NEXT ROUND!!!!

BINDERS ARE NICE AND SO ARE THE SKETCHES..9 POCKET FOLDERS WOULDHAVE BEEN NICE AS WELL... :-[ :-[ :-[

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #93 on: June 05, 2013, 07:00:10 PM »

Offline Kook

« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2013, 05:51:54 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Thanks for that "reformatting". Since everyone's puzzles are the same, we really only need to share the sketches & it's really annoying to keep clicking on these thumnails to see a smaller version of the sketches 1 at a time.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2013, 06:49:03 PM »
I find it a bit surprising that only 3 people have bothered to post pics of binder sketches in this thread. I know there are not that many sets. Still.  Where are the pics?????

Andrew

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2013, 07:08:06 PM »
Here are some pics.  The edges are cut off, but you get the idea...

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #97 on: June 06, 2013, 09:17:16 PM »

Here are some pics.  The edges are cut off, but you get the idea...

(If you click on them you can see the whole thing. The images are only cut off in the thumbnail)

Some nice sketches there - and a combo, to boot!

I especially like the Land-O-Quakes sketch - very sharp. Not sure if it’s the Indian roots, or the ponytails, or both, but I’ve always liked Land-O-Quakes and Sue Mee a lot     :D

Speaking of Sue Mee (the member), I’ve been wondering for a long time where Kris is. He’s been a fairly consistent member over the years. I PM’d him several months ago hoping it would trigger an email notification, but got no reply. He hasn’t logged in since Sept of last year, and his alter-ego LipOff seems to have disappeared from the member registry. I used to have his mailing address in Vista (So Cal) but have lost it. And on his forum profile page, his home-made wacky link is broken.

If anyone has his personal e-mail address, I’d appreciate a PM.

Thanks,

Rob

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #98 on: June 06, 2013, 09:49:52 PM »
(If you click on them you can see the whole thing. The images are only cut off in the thumbnail)

Some nice sketches there - and a combo, to boot!

I especially like the Land-O-Quakes sketch - very sharp. Not sure if it’s the Indian roots, or the ponytails, or both, but I’ve always liked Land-O-Quakes and Sue Mee a lot     :D

Speaking of Sue Mee (the member), I’ve been wondering for a long time where Kris is. He’s been a fairly consistent member over the years. I PM’d him several months ago hoping it would trigger an email notification, but got no reply. He hasn’t logged in since Sept of last year, and his alter-ego LipOff seems to have disappeared from the member registry. I used to have his mailing address in Vista (So Cal) but have lost it. And on his forum profile page, his home-made wacky link is broken.

If anyone has his personal e-mail address, I’d appreciate a PM.

Thanks,

Rob

Rob, you can email any member. Some may opt out of revealing their email address. There is an email link under every avitar and within the member lookup.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #99 on: June 06, 2013, 09:54:42 PM »
Rob, you can email any member. Some may opt out of revealing their email address. There is an email link under every avitar and within the member lookup.

I thought forum PM's only trigger an email notification if you set your profile to do so? (When I get a PM I don't get an email)

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #100 on: June 07, 2013, 04:05:07 AM »
I thought forum PM's only trigger an email notification if you set your profile to do so? (When I get a PM I don't get an email)

You're correct.  I don't have PM's forwarded to my email either.  Also, when members choose to "hide" their email addresses from other members I think that the email link Brad mentioned does not show up, except for adminstrators.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #101 on: June 07, 2013, 07:11:11 AM »
You're correct.  I don't have PM's forwarded to my email either.  Also, when members choose to "hide" their email addresses from other members I think that the email link Brad mentioned does not show up, except for adminstrators.

That is correct. I see everyone's email address so I have no way of knowing if someone is hiding their email address.

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: June 07, 2013, 02:59:31 PM »
some more pics

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #103 on: June 07, 2013, 03:10:55 PM »
some more pics

You did pretty well. Too bad you got duplicate characters. I got a couple dupes also. You would think Topps could work this out better when ordering just a couple binders.

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: June 07, 2013, 03:17:42 PM »
You did pretty well. Too bad you got duplicate characters. I got a couple dupes also. You would think Topps could work this out better when ordering just a couple binders.
thought I had double dupes, but then realized series 3 is a Harm & Hammer and a Punks

that double exceedrin did make my head explode though. seriously. what are the odds?