Author Topic: BINDERS .... SPOILERS!  (Read 30544 times)

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

Re: BINDERS .... SPOILERS!
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2013, 10:13:26 AM »
Here is a picture of the spines together. Why so empty when there is so much going on with the front and backs?

A nice solution perhaps, wacky related decals for the spines
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline Shrunken Donuts

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2013, 11:00:24 AM »
The more i think about it i bet this empty spine thing was an intentional omission for this set.  Probably when its all said and done it will all make sense.  Probably binders 5-12 will make a giant horizontal Wacky Packages logo or something when put together.  And 13-16 will be like this set to make it symmetrical when all the binders are put together.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2013, 11:20:46 AM »
The more i think about it i bet this empty spine thing was an intentional omission for this set.  Probably when its all said and done it will all make sense.  Probably binders 5-12 will make a giant horizontal Wacky Packages logo or something when put together.  And 13-16 will be like this set to make it symmetrical when all the binders are put together.

You may be on to something here! I may be getting excited over nothing.

Offline Shrunken Donuts

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2013, 12:04:38 PM »
You may be on to something here! I may be getting excited over nothing.
I'll tell you what: if Topps wasn't going to do what i mentioned, they sure as heck better do it now if they wanna make this right and not have a lot of disappointed collectors!  :)

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2013, 12:25:33 PM »
I went to check on the status of my binder order, I waited on hold with Topps Customer service for over 30 minutes with 7 customers in front of me, only to be told the operators system was down. Your kidding me I said, so if the system was down how come it took over 30 minutes to clear out 7 customers, I said, the response was on behalf of the company I apologize. Come ON , REALLY ?

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2013, 01:19:25 PM »
Mine was pulled and shipped out today! 

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2013, 01:44:45 PM »

Seems like with these four binders representing 25% of any kind of spine mural it unfortunately would have been good to have started earlier. I did not buy these this time, but I'm curious if the fact that Topps did not show these kind of details if anyone is disappointed after-the-fact or not really concerned. Personally I am surprised they didn't do a lot more with the spines.

My guess is the next four will be: 5 & 6: sky blue spine; 7 & 8: orange spine, thus generally following the pack colors for the series. Then maybe green/purple for 9-12 and not sure on 13-16: maybe sky blue then red or the red/pink of 16 only? 17 will be either white or paisley.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2013, 01:48:17 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up. So Topps shipped out all or most of the series 2 puzzles in the wrong configuration? Crazy!
what's crazy is people can't take 2 seconds to actually look at the checklists and notice that the cards are in the pockets wrong.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2013, 01:50:33 PM »
I did not buy these this time, but I'm curious if the fact that Topps did not show these kind of details if anyone is disappointed after-the-fact or not really concerned. Personally I am surprised they didn't do a lot more with the spines.
I don't have my binders yet, but I'm already seriously disappointed in the spine.
maybe the bonus with the lost 17th series is a Sharkie marker, so everyone can hand write what they want in the blank spaces.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2013, 02:20:54 PM »
Mine was pulled and shipped out today! 

Mine is still not in my Topps account purchase info but they took my funds yesterday from paypal so i should be good. No shipping notice.  I live in NJ so usually am on the first receiver list. Not this time.

Andrew

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2013, 02:54:09 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up. So Topps shipped out all or most of the series 2 puzzles in the wrong configuration? Crazy!

Whoever they hired to put the puzzles in pages apparently wasn't looking!  They should let a Wacky fan do that task, so it's done right.  I volunteer!!

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2013, 03:00:33 PM »

I thought about that, but even in such a case, they could have put SOMETHING on these binder spines.  Small character faces?  Gum pieces?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2013, 04:34:27 PM »
Mine is still not in my Topps account purchase info but they took my funds yesterday from paypal so i should be good. No shipping notice.  I live in NJ so usually am on the first receiver list. Not this time.

Andrew

Looks like you got them today.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2013, 04:42:14 PM »
I thought about that, but even in such a case, they could have put SOMETHING on these binder spines.  Small character faces?  Gum pieces?

I’m skeptical they would stick on the binder spine, but if they did, could you cut out the Wacky Package logos from the Old School 4 series pack stickers and use them to decorate the spines?

Maybe put the blue pack sticker on the red spines, a green pack sticker on the yellow spines, and so on, using complimentary and contrasting pack and spine colors

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2013, 05:07:37 PM »
Looks like you got them today.

UPS came at 6:20 PM.  Happy with my binders.  Here are half my sketches.
Will post pics of the my other sketches later.  

« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 05:11:36 PM by DrDeal »

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2013, 06:32:29 PM »
Unopened pack image from that series?

I know nobody wants to hear from me on these, but I must say: I'm glad I didn't spend $65 each on these suckers. The artwork on the binders is excellent and all, but it just doesn't justify itself in my mind.

Offline Kook

« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2013, 07:06:04 PM »
I think leaving the inside of the binders blank was also a big missed opportunity as was the uninteresting spine. Packs, wrappers, stats, thumbnails of the original series, ANYTHING to raise the bar on these binders.

Offline Shrunken Donuts

« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2013, 07:41:48 PM »

I know nobody wants to hear from me on these, but I must say: I'm glad I didn't spend $65 each on these suckers. The artwork on the binders is excellent and all, but it just doesn't justify itself in my mind.
And here's another thing to think about: Is it worth spending over $1000 to house a $2000 1-16 collection? :017:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 07:43:20 PM by Shrunken Donuts »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2013, 12:42:25 AM »
And here's another thing to think about: Is it worth spending over $1000 to house a $2000 1-16 collection? :017:

Collectors don't think that way :]  :]

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2013, 03:09:53 AM »

Yeah, although a full size pack image wouldn't have fit, they could have done a small version.  The spines are all that's going to show in a bookcase, and they are just TOO empty.  Can't even tell they're Wackys! 

All the white space on the insides is a terrible waste.  Didn't need more special art, they could have put in a nice shot of a sealed box on one side, and on the other a full open box from the series, like Greg created for his poster.

Why do you say nobody wants to hear from you?

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2013, 03:57:09 AM »
I filled my binders and shelved them. Really liking the puzzles and binder art. I agree the lack of spine and inside art is a miss. Very cool to have the puzzle sets to round out each series.
The retro / cloth feel of the binders does remind me of grade school which is a nice touch.   Sold my second set of puzzles for $150 and the binders for $130 so I  will break even on my second set when ebay fees are factored in.  Happy with my sketches. Very cool tp pull a Jail-O. I remember buying soooo many packs as a kid trying to score that card.  Also really digging the Kirscht sketch.  Scoring a combo was pretty sweet also. The detail on the Engstrom is intense up close.

Andrew

« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 06:27:09 AM by DrDeal »

Offline Final Step

« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2013, 05:20:41 AM »

The retro / cloth feel of the binders does remind me of grade school which is a nice touch.  

Andrew

I love the puzzles, sketches and binders, but agree the spines and inside of the binders should have images of some kind.
Frank

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2013, 05:40:44 AM »

Nobody wants to hear from me either - but I'm am so not regretting not getting these!
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2013, 05:44:12 AM »
Nobody wants to hear from me either - but I'm am so not regretting not getting these!

Please, you,Tom and anyone else should feel free to post your thoughts!  This is a community forum, and you do not have to be a huge fan of every new product and just post raves.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 05:52:17 AM by RawGoo »

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2013, 05:54:28 AM »

Who is this person, “Nobody”, you refer to?

Shirley you can share your honest thoughts with us also

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2013, 06:26:54 AM »
I went to check on the status of my binder order, I waited on hold with Topps Customer service for over 30 minutes with 7 customers in front of me, only to be told the operators system was down. Your kidding me I said, so if the system was down how come it took over 30 minutes to clear out 7 customers, I said, the response was on behalf of the company I apologize. Come ON , REALLY ?
After this mess I emailed Topps support & here is their reply;

We don't have an operators system, an automated system that would tell you there are customers, or a hold system so I'm not sure what number you were calling but it wouldn't have connected you to us.

Your order shipped on the 30th with the ups tracking id: xxx

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions or concerns.

OK I am alright with this but I did call their phone #

Offline drono

« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2013, 06:43:46 AM »
The spines are all that's going to show in a bookcase, and they are just TOO empty.  Can't even tell they're Wackys! 

Maybe that's a theft deterrent.  Who would steal a set of Encyclopedias?

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2013, 07:15:34 AM »
Yeah, although a full size pack image wouldn't have fit, they could have done a small version.  The spines are all that's going to show in a bookcase, and they are just TOO empty.  Can't even tell they're Wackys! 

All the white space on the insides is a terrible waste.  Didn't need more special art, they could have put in a nice shot of a sealed box on one side, and on the other a full open box from the series, like Greg created for his poster.

I haven't gotten my binders yet and I'm not regretting buying them (though I was initially on the fence), but I agree with your sentiments here.  I do hope that binders 5-12 have a big Wacky logo on it.  As much as I would like a little something on the inside, the spines are more important as that's what will be shown. 

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2013, 07:24:51 AM »
Who is this person, “Nobody”, you refer to?

Shirley you can share your honest thoughts with us also

"And don't call me Shirley".   (couldn't help myself)

aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2013, 08:37:27 AM »
I don't have my binders yet, but I'm already seriously disappointed in the spine.
maybe the bonus with the lost 17th series is a Sharkie marker, so everyone can hand write what they want in the blank spaces.

I agree.  The lack of a logo or anything at all to identify these binders as "Wacky Packages" is a huge miss.  I'm now not sure I even want to keep the set I bought, let alone buy the rest of them.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2013, 04:22:04 PM »
Please, you,Tom and anyone else should feel free to post your thoughts!  This is a community forum, and you do not have to be a huge fan of every new product and just post raves.
Oh, I am doing so. The "nobody wants to hear from me" is merely a reference to the feeling that I am in the minority on my feelings on the binders. I'm not really withholding anything regarding my opinion...but I'm also not going all out, either, as I don't feel that necessary in this case.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2013, 04:32:46 PM »
Is it worth spending over $1000 to house a $2000 1-16 collection?
I fully understand your point and agree with where you're coming from. However, I'm getting on my picayune box: I'd like to think my 1-16 is worth considerably more than $2000. Regardless of their value, there's no way I'd spend this to house them, no matter how cherished they are.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2013, 04:34:29 PM »
Collectors don't think that way :]  :]
Speak for thyself.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2013, 07:17:22 PM »
I'm glad I didn't spend $65 each on these suckers. The artwork on the binders is excellent and all, but it just doesn't justify itself in my mind.

At least people responded to your post. I posted something almost identical to your post and not a peep. Maybe people are having buyers remorse and are bitter they wasted money on them. :D

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2013, 07:34:19 PM »
Got my two binder sets today as well.... they are indeed very nice,
and the cards are manufactured perfectly.

Are they worth the cost?  Probably not, although all the work that
the artists are putting into it is much appreciated.

And from the looks of what ANS11 is promising us, I better keep
my wallet out  :-[  Not much we can do as collectors except
not collect them, and that goes against all our well being.