Author Topic: NEW TOPPS.COM "ARTISTS ON DEMAND" CUSTOM SKETCH CARD PROGRAM!  (Read 90851 times)

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!
Re: NEW TOPPS.COM "ARTISTS ON DEMAND" CUSTOM SKETCH CARD PROGRAM!
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2013, 06:24:01 AM »
More money you may wish to spend...for now I have officially opened THE LYNCH VAULT.    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261253125049

Absolute genius!  Why didn't I think of selling my cancelled checks on ebay?  Doh! 

(seriously - it's brilliant - you'll get at least $26 for your little pile o' historical documents based on current bidding)

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2013, 11:10:12 AM »
I might suggest that these cancelled checks make excelent bookmarks for the Wacky binders.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2013, 11:38:16 AM »
I might suggest that these cancelled checks make excelent bookmarks for the Wacky binders.

That would be very appropriate                :D

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2013, 04:16:46 PM »
Not to change the subject  ;), but here's another Ugly (#, Lenny)

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2013, 09:01:46 PM »
Not to change the subject  ;), but here's another Ugly (#, Lenny)

Oh man, whatever this release is it's gonna be cool!  Is there a "Craig" Ugly in the mix?

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2013, 10:49:52 AM »
I know I'm getting ahead of things here, but how about an Ugly Stickers Binder to go with the hinted-at reissue set?

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2013, 11:54:53 AM »
I know I'm getting ahead of things here, but how about an Ugly Stickers Binder to go with the hinted-at reissue set?
I don't believe there is any re-issue set being planned or hinted. This is the "pay-for-a-sketch" program.
For the month of August, the artists will draw one of the pre-determined Ugly Sticker characters for those that are buying one of these sketch cards.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2013, 01:24:16 PM »
Oh man, whatever this release is it's gonna be cool!  Is there a "Craig" Ugly in the mix?

Sooner or later there's bound to be a "Craig" ugly!

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2013, 01:34:08 PM »
More money you may wish to spend...for now I have officially opened THE LYNCH VAULT.    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261253125049

wow, you got 45 bucks for these!

I hope you have a few pallets of cancelled checks in your basement!

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2013, 08:59:20 PM »
I have several from 1977 made out to and endorsed by Wacky Packages creator Art Spiegelman.  I'm willing to entertain offers. 

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2013, 07:11:57 AM »

So many great characters...here's another Ugly: #05, "JOEL"!

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2013, 07:58:58 PM »
and here's a sneak peak at a portion of the "Artists on Demand" classic character menu!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2013, 08:36:27 PM »
and here's a sneak peak at a portion of the "Artists on Demand" classic character menu!

Is Topps asking you guys to redo the old series or come up with your own ugly character?
After looking at them again, I wanted the artists to create a new ugly series. You guys are doing the monster sketches and the best art could be a series. Topps isn't thinking outside the box.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 08:38:32 PM by BumChex »

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #83 on: July 31, 2013, 03:47:40 AM »
Is Topps asking you guys to redo the old series or come up with your own ugly character?
After looking at them again, I wanted the artists to create a new ugly series. You guys are doing the monster sketches and the best art could be a series. Topps isn't thinking outside the box.

No need to worry Brad, there's new designs too!

« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 05:33:40 AM by koduck »

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!
« Reply #84 on: July 31, 2013, 06:49:25 AM »
No need to worry Brad, there's new designs too!

Hmmm....that image looks an awful lot like a box top - are we going to see a whole new set of Uglies?  Pleeaaaseeeee......

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #85 on: July 31, 2013, 06:54:48 AM »
Hmmm....that image looks an awful lot like a box top - are we going to see a whole new set of Uglies?  Pleeaaaseeeee......

And here's all new Ugly #8!

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #86 on: July 31, 2013, 09:32:36 AM »

... are we going to see a whole new set of Uglies? 

AOD is custom sketch cards, but the banner says Ugly Stickers, so are we to assume the AOD sketches will be stickers? Or, considering the new characters, maybe there will also be a new set released as packs.    - either way, it’s gonna be ugly

Offline jeffcaff

« Reply #87 on: July 31, 2013, 01:38:31 PM »
Looks like some initial pricing is out.  $75.00 for the black and white and $250.00 for the colors.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #88 on: July 31, 2013, 02:02:30 PM »

OK, so who here will become the next Ugly artist?

http://www.beckett.com/news/2013/07/topps-looking-for-new-artists-for-its-on-demand-program/

(Anders?)

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!
« Reply #89 on: July 31, 2013, 02:22:34 PM »
Looking at the Topps site, it appears that Fred Wheaton is the only artist doing Uglies.  Is that correct?

• Administrator
« Reply #90 on: July 31, 2013, 04:28:46 PM »
Looking at the Topps site, it appears that Fred Wheaton is the only artist doing Uglies.  Is that correct?
Fred's is only the most current name posted. There's already been about 6 prior listed on the topps AOD facebook page. Camera, Kirscht, Smokin' Joe, etc.

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!
« Reply #91 on: July 31, 2013, 06:14:51 PM »
Fred's is only the most current name posted. There's already been about 6 prior listed on the topps AOD facebook page. Camera, Kirscht, Smokin' Joe, etc.

So they rotate the artists?  Seems odd - why not have a link for each artist?

• Administrator
« Reply #92 on: July 31, 2013, 06:47:36 PM »
So they rotate the artists?  Seems odd - why not have a link for each artist?
not really a rotation, just a new post every couple days about one of the artists or one of the Ugly Sticker creatures. People like seeing new posts everyday, it shows that things are 'active'

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #93 on: July 31, 2013, 07:09:09 PM »
How many on here plan to take advantage of this program? I'm on the fence. As much as I love sketches I like them to be part of a series. I know these sketches will be fantastic but I wouldn't know how to display them. Maybe its my own issue..LOL

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!
« Reply #94 on: July 31, 2013, 07:20:36 PM »
How many on here plan to take advantage of this program? I'm on the fence. As much as I love sketches I like them to be part of a series. I know these sketches will be fantastic but I wouldn't know how to display them. Maybe its my own issue..LOL

I'm in the same spot you are.  I see the sketches as an add-on to a sticker or postcard set; not as a standalone item.  That's why I've shied away from the "Wacky Day" sketches - they really have no home with a card set.  Now these do relate back to the original series stickers, which I have, so I'm tempted to buy one just to put it along with those.  But they're pretty expensive, and if I'm going to invest in it, I'd really prefer that Topps issue the new artwork that they've already posted along with a binder.  Then at least there would some direct connection between the sketches and a card set released in this century.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #95 on: July 31, 2013, 08:14:01 PM »
...I'd really prefer that Topps issue the new artwork that they've already posted along with a binder.  Then at least there would some direct connection between the sketches and a card set released in this century.

:^) You never know...

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!
« Reply #96 on: July 31, 2013, 08:44:44 PM »
Yes... very eenteresting........

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: NEW TOPPS.COM "ARTISTS ON DEMAND" CUSTOM SKETCH CARD PROGRAM
« Reply #97 on: July 31, 2013, 08:54:58 PM »

I just wish Topps released a special limited release of Ugly stickers to go with the Ugly sketches. That would be really cool and special. When a person buys a sketch they would also get a set of the new Ugly stickers. Now that makes it now a very compelling buy.
I think Topps may need to pass ideas here on the forum as kind of a round table discussion. They could improve their product and make a lot more in sales if they followed this approach.

Here is the thing, every company wants to be involved with the social network to help sales but they don't know how to utilize it to come up with cool ideas by asking the actual collectors. If they would throw out an idea for something new and ask us what would be cool they could make some of the most amazing series to date. Thy may never do this but I think they are wasting the opportunity to actually reach out to the community and its sad...

I want to add one more thing, and that goes with the lines of Topps will never do this, is they want to come up with surprises for us. I understand that but if they really listened to us they could take a great product and make it extra special. Example - I listed the Ugly example above. Another - with the binders wrap the artwork around the spine or have a wacky logo on most of the binders so they display nice. Another thing with the binders, they should have added a couple special lost Wackys with each binder release to fill the 17th lost wacky binder. There could have been one extra lost wacky per binder for a total of 16 lost Wackys. The binders would have sold out faster because collectors love the cards they don't have already. It's not always about the sketch. It's about the cards.

Topps doesn't have to give up all their secrets but the way they came out with all the amazing binder advertising (sarcastic) they could have used our input. Just sayin'
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 09:05:25 PM by BumChex »

Offline quas

« Reply #98 on: July 31, 2013, 09:00:38 PM »
I just wish Topps released a special limited release of Ugly stickers to go with the Ugly sketches. That would be really cool and special. When a person buys a sketch they would also get a set of the new Ugly stickers. Now that makes it now a very compelling buy.
I think Topps may need to pass ideas here on the forum as kind of a round table discussion. They could improve their product and make a lot more in sales if they followed this approach.

Here is the thing, every company wants to be involved with the social network to help sales but they don't know how to utilize it to come up with cool ideas by asking the actual collectors. If they would throw out an idea for something new and ask us what would be cool they could make some of the most amazing series to date. Thy may never do this but I think they are wasting the opportunity to actually reach out to the community and its sad...

Agree 100%.
Marc

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #99 on: August 01, 2013, 07:37:31 AM »

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!
« Reply #100 on: August 01, 2013, 10:35:57 AM »

Looks great, but it's still not live on the website.

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #101 on: August 01, 2013, 12:15:37 PM »
Looks great, but it's still not live on the website.

They look to be live now.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!
« Reply #103 on: August 01, 2013, 02:11:36 PM »
Yep, they're up.  I was surprised to see that Brent is charging more for his sketches than everybody else.  Do the artists get to set their own pricing?  Are his sketches more detailed and time consuming than the others?

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #104 on: August 01, 2013, 03:17:41 PM »
Yep, they're up.  I was surprised to see that Brent is charging more for his sketches than everybody else.  Do the artists get to set their own pricing?  Are his sketches more detailed and time consuming than the others?

Brent's the "Featured Artist" this month hence the higher price. Also of note, Dustin Graham is the "Rookie Artist" for this series! Here's the entire lineup:

Neil Camera
Brent Engstrom
Dustin Graham
Matthew Kirscht
Smokin' Joe
Joe Simko
Fred Wheaton
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 03:25:35 PM by koduck »