Author Topic: NEW TOPPS.COM "ARTISTS ON DEMAND" CUSTOM SKETCH CARD PROGRAM!  (Read 90908 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• "Get some for your honey"
    • Smokin' Joe's Art and Illustration
Re: NEW TOPPS.COM "ARTISTS ON DEMAND" CUSTOM SKETCH CARD PROGRAM!
« Reply #175 on: August 21, 2013, 04:29:53 PM »
Make sure to leave a cornea of the sketch card open for the name.

20 lashes to the lot of you for all the bad puns... now put a lid on it!
Smokin' Joe

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #176 on: August 21, 2013, 05:03:52 PM »
20 lashes to the lot of you for all the bad puns... now put a lid on it!

I was having a ball!

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #177 on: August 21, 2013, 05:13:35 PM »
Iris I could create better puns, but I'm still just a pupil in that fine art.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #178 on: August 21, 2013, 05:27:31 PM »
There's only one part of the eye yet to be mentioned. I guess it was too sclera to think about.

Offline Coorpse Light

« Reply #179 on: August 21, 2013, 08:34:59 PM »
Here are a few ways this particular sketch card could be customized... and may I remind you that we Ugly artists are geniuseses, and can find ways to do just about anything... my particular genius shows up when I over-flow my drawing / painting into the space reserved for customizing...truly the mark of one thinking WAY ahead.... obviously genius.

Not doubting Smokin' Joe, but editting a digital image is surely much easier than hand-drawn artwork. I'm not too artistic myself, I'm sure I could mess up a picture of a stick figure if I tried to add a name to it! :p

For future reference, can we say "no name" and get no modification to the card?

It's not like names are a bad thing for these Ugly Stickers, but I just feel guilty. I kinda' like the blank balloons that Neil Camera has on a couple of his sketches. (Guilt-Free name addition)  ;)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 09:48:56 AM by Coorpse Light »

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #180 on: August 22, 2013, 09:44:51 AM »
Here are a few ways this particular sketch card could be customized... and may I remind you that we Ugly artists are geniuseses, and can find ways to do just about anything... my particular genius shows up when I over-flow my drawing / painting into the space reserved for customizing...truly the mark of one thinking WAY ahead.... obviously genius.

Thanks for those Smokin' examples! That is very helpful.

I'm now plotting what a Run Tony sketch might say, in 15 letters or less...

Maybe a line from the Flock of Seagulls song, “I ran so far away”

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #181 on: August 22, 2013, 09:48:22 AM »

It would be nice to have that option.

This is not meant to be a snide comment, but I think the personalization is what justifies the price point, from a marketing standpoint.   

Offline Coorpse Light

« Reply #182 on: August 22, 2013, 09:52:49 AM »
It would be nice to have that option.

This is not meant to be a snide comment, but I think the personalization is what justifies the price point, from a marketing standpoint.   

You're absolutely correct, and the Regular people names were what added a lot of charm to the original series IMO.
Guess I've just been nervous about my orders, but I know I'll be happy no matter what. :)

just a heads up, there's a bunch of amazing combo sketches up for sale today! I bought one (and purposely added a name to it)

Now I'm all out of cash, so you guys are going to have to buy the rest of these up before I put myself in the poor house.  :great:

Offline Smokin Joe

• "Get some for your honey"
    • Smokin' Joe's Art and Illustration
« Reply #183 on: August 22, 2013, 10:25:50 AM »
Not doubting Smokin' Joe, but editting a digital image is surely much easier than hand-drawn artwork. I'm not too artistic myself, I'm sure I could mess up a picture of a stick figure if I tried to add a name to it! :p

It's not like names are a bad thing for these Ugly Stickers, but I just feel guilty. I kinda' like the blank balloons that Neil Camera has on a couple of his sketches. (Guilt-Free name addition)  ;)

Of course you can say 'no name' and get no modification on your card. I've done these like that already. The program is to empower you, the collector, so you can get a custom card... any way you want it. Ask for a combo card and see what happens... ask for extra black, or drawn sideways, or cross eyed, or extra eyed, or wearing a Yankees ball cap... whatever makes it something you'll be excited to add to your collection. We're attempting something new here, so you all get a chance to help drive this magic bus where you want. I'm sure you'll be contacted if some request can't be achieved... but I say shoot for the stars.
Smokin' Joe

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #184 on: August 22, 2013, 10:59:32 AM »

Now I'm all out of cash, so you guys are going to have to buy the rest of these up before I put myself in the poor house.  :great:

I know what you mean. I ordered 4 a week ago and then 3 more yesterday from the pre-drawn. I have to start saving for ANS11. The cost of collecting this stuff is starting to give me a rash.... :o

Offline Coorpse Light

« Reply #185 on: August 22, 2013, 02:10:06 PM »
Out of curiosity, have any of the resident artists here decided to keep some of their Ugly Stickers sketches for their own collection?

I don't recall ever seeing the Smokin' Joe color of this guy for sale on the Topps Store:

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 05:10:14 PM by Coorpse Light »

Offline Coorpse Light

« Reply #186 on: August 22, 2013, 03:30:16 PM »
I've never purchased anything from the Topps website before AOD, does anyone know how they pack a single card for shipping? Do they come inside a mylar sleeve + a Card Saver 1 or something similar? Maybe a "Topps Vault" style case?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 03:33:01 PM by Coorpse Light »

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #187 on: August 22, 2013, 04:55:03 PM »
I've never purchased anything from the Topps website before AOD, does anyone know how they pack a single card for shipping? Do they come inside a mylar sleeve + a Card Saver 1 or something similar? Maybe a "Topps Vault" style case?

I believe this is the first time Topps is offering a single card for sale that isnt slabbed. I guess "if" you get yours you can let us all know.

Offline Coorpse Light

« Reply #188 on: August 22, 2013, 05:00:25 PM »
I believe this is the first time Topps is offering a single card for sale that isnt slabbed. I guess "if" you get yours you can let us all know.

Why did you say "if", have I done something wrong? 

If I've done or said anything that offended anyone, I deeply apologize as that wasn't my intent.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 01:31:42 AM by Coorpse Light »

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #189 on: August 22, 2013, 05:56:41 PM »

I believe this is how each card will ship: Mylar sleeve + Card Saver + parchment insert. If I hear any more details, I'll post here...

Offline Coorpse Light

« Reply #190 on: August 22, 2013, 06:01:04 PM »
I believe this is how each card will ship: Mylar sleeve + Card Saver + parchment insert. If I hear any more details, I'll post here...

Thanks kindly for your reply, Mr. Camera. :)

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #191 on: August 22, 2013, 07:13:25 PM »
Iris I could create better puns, but I'm still just a pupil in that fine art.

This is all Aqueous humor

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #192 on: August 22, 2013, 07:25:31 PM »
This is all Aqueous humor

Some of it seems quite vitreous to me. Maybe we should put a lid on it.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #193 on: August 23, 2013, 03:28:16 AM »
Why did you say "if", have I done something wrong? 

If I've done or said anything that offended anyone, I deeply apologize as that wasn't my intent.

I believe Lucid's "if" has to do with the fact that a number of people have had problems with receiving their orders from Topps, especially since they moved their shipping operation.

Offline Coorpse Light

« Reply #194 on: August 23, 2013, 01:29:37 PM »
I broke down and ordered another card this morning, I just couldn't resist.  :great:

Well, I just got home this afternoon and had a box waiting for me on my doorstep!?

Beautiful art by Neil Camera!

There was a mix-up on my order though, I ordered the character on the left (#25) in Color with the name Ty, and the character on the right (#8) in B&W with the name John. The one very unfortunate thing that I immediately noticed was that the color card has been trimmed down on the left side, I presume with the intent to center the off-printed border. Big bummer. :'(

The art sure looks nice, though.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #195 on: August 23, 2013, 03:07:54 PM »
I broke down and ordered another card this morning, I just couldn't resist.  :great:

Well, I just got home this afternoon and had a box waiting for me on my doorstep!?

(Image removed from quote.)

Beautiful art by Neil Camera!

There was a mix-up on my order though, I ordered the character on the left (#25) in Color with the name Ty, and the character on the right (#8) in B&W with the name John. The one very unfortunate thing that I immediately noticed was that the color card has been trimmed down on the left side, I presume with the intent to center the off-printed border. Big bummer. :'(

The art sure looks nice, though.

PM SENT
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 03:16:07 PM by koduck »

Offline Coorpse Light

« Reply #196 on: August 23, 2013, 03:45:03 PM »
PM SENT

Thanks for the quick reply, no worries. Everyone can see how amazing your art is!  :great:

Offline Coorpse Light

« Reply #197 on: August 23, 2013, 04:31:46 PM »
For those whom are curious, here are the parchment inserts and the cardback. I Really dig the Ugly Stickers logo and "Alvin" Character. :)
The case is an Ultra-Pro, it's like a 1-screw screwdown, but with a rivet instead of a screw that's sealed under the plastic.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #198 on: August 23, 2013, 04:52:34 PM »

The one very unfortunate thing that I immediately noticed was that the color card has been trimmed down on the left side, I presume with the intent to center the off-printed border.

I wonder if it’s some type of miss-cut. It’s hard for me to imagine a Topps employee or an artist cutting a card down to make it more centered.

Offline Coorpse Light

« Reply #199 on: August 23, 2013, 05:16:22 PM »
I wonder if it’s some type of miss-cut. It’s hard for me to imagine a Topps employee or an artist cutting a card down to make it more centered.

I really don't know, you can see from the above photos of the front and back that it's trimmed/miscut by at least 3mm off the left side. I was having a sinking feeling in my chest that the Topps "Quality Control" department that evaluates them was trimming down the more expensive cards to ensure perfect centering, only since my cut down card has near perfect centering around the art due to the cut.

On the bright side, the cards are absolutely gorgeous, aren't they? These were ordered August 3rd, before any of the artist examples were up. Neil did a crazy bang-up job.  8)

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #200 on: August 23, 2013, 05:24:05 PM »

On the bright side, the cards are absolutely gorgeous, aren't they? These were ordered August 3rd, before any of the artist examples were up. Neil did a crazy bang-up job.  8)

Yes, they are really sharp! I like them a lot

Offline Coorpse Light

« Reply #201 on: August 23, 2013, 05:44:50 PM »
Yes, they are really sharp! I like them a lot

Thanks, and I bet you're right about a machine mis-cut. Neil probably grabbed the best centered card out of his stack to draw on since this was a very early order.

Off Topic, Did anyone here on the Wacky forum order the Kirscht B&W of the character I have pictured in color?

For the record, this morning I ordered the Smokin' Joe Pre-Production (with No Name) of this guy:

Ugly Stickers are my absolute favorite card series and these AOD sketches were the first time that they were reissued in any form since I was born.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 05:49:00 PM by Coorpse Light »

Offline Coorpse Light

« Reply #202 on: August 25, 2013, 06:08:42 PM »
Please take a look at this. Any scratches or mis-shading are just from the glare of the plastic Ultra-Pro card holder. This is not a scan, but an actual photo taken from my generic store-bought camera.

What you see is a Neil Camera sketch that's only 2" wide and 2.75" tall!. (Inches!?)
 I just don't know how the sketch artists do it? Maybe they have employed a million ants with a million paint brushes...  :o

These Wacky Artists rock!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 06:22:18 PM by Coorpse Light »

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #203 on: August 28, 2013, 01:51:50 PM »
It's doesn't look like anyone has posted this yet.  It's been on Facebook for awhile.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #204 on: August 28, 2013, 02:27:36 PM »
I just received notice that all my sketches are shipping today. That includes the AOD and the pre-drawn sketches. I won't have them until next Wed though. I'll post once I receive them.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #205 on: September 02, 2013, 02:20:30 PM »
Here's a new ad for Artists on Demand appearing in the latest issue of Non Sport Update!

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #206 on: September 02, 2013, 06:22:56 PM »

Is September AOD Wacky Packages month, or maybe it be in October or November? I think this has been discussed, but I don’t remember the timeline / sequence of how the various brands will be rolled out.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #207 on: September 03, 2013, 04:36:25 PM »
September is as in the promos - Nutty Initials, Weird Wheels and Ugly Stickers Series 2

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #208 on: September 11, 2013, 11:12:38 AM »
Just got in part of my order. I'm still waiting on two Wheatons.
The top 3 are the AOD and are amazing.
The bottom 2 are the pre-drawn both look great!

The images are a little dark because I couldn't put the lid down on my scanner. I'm leaving them in the cases for the time being.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #209 on: September 11, 2013, 12:53:40 PM »
Just got in part of my order. I'm still waiting on two Wheatons.
The top 3 are the AOD and are amazing.
The bottom 2 are the pre-drawn both look great!

The images are a little dark because I couldn't put the lid down on my scanner. I'm leaving them in the cases for the time being.

I wonder how this went for Topps - was it successful..sketches seemed pretty expensive to the Avg. Collector...??

Waitin' for Wacky's to HIT!!what month????