Author Topic: ANS 10 Billboard display?  (Read 7259 times)

Offline Jaywoz360

ANS 10 Billboard display?
« on: May 09, 2013, 07:44:02 AM »
I was wondering if anyone has a good way to display the ANS 10 billboards.
I would like to have them on display in my cubical at work.
Any ideas?
thanks.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
Re: ANS 10 Billboard display?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 08:31:34 AM »
Any ideas?
thanks.

I haven't worked on displaying my ANS10 series yet, but I cut my billboards down to 8" x 4.5" with a cutting board so they can be displayed flat.  The problem I found when looking into 2-pocket pages to display them, is that they only go up to 5" x 7" pockets.  You can get larger pockets but they display vertically, not horizontally like the billboard art. 

I was hoping to find a 2-pocket page that was the size of a sheet protector (8.5" x 11") cut in half horizontally, but I haven't found any yet.

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 01:35:03 AM »
I’ve only seen these billboards on eBay (I especially like Crappy Barrel), so don’t totally understand what they are like (they appear to be similar to an empty box of Good & Plenty), but I have a couple of ideas to throw out.

If you don’t want to cut down the box, you could put a metal thumbtack into the cubicle wall, and then put one of those small super strong magnets inside the box to keep it in place – the back panel of the box being held in place between the magnet and the metal thumbtack.

If you cut them down to be flat, they could be displayed in an oversized top loader. One method I use to display photos and Wackys is to mount a top loader onto a piece of foam board. I stick a piece of foam board to a top loader (with either hot glue or a loop of tape) and then attach two thumbtacks to the board, with tape, points outward). This allows you to attach the top loader to a wall, bulletin board, or anything else a tack would stick in. Instead of two thumbtacks you can use adhesive magnets. The foam board raises the top loader off the wall, fridge, or file cabinet a ¼ inch and looks sharp. If there is a discrepancy in the size of the top loader and the item (as in my example below) you could cut a piece of colored paper to fit the top loader (5”x 7” is a bit too big for the postcard), and slide the paper behind what you are displaying… a poor-man’s matting, so to speak.

[expando]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z332/rbishop224/Foam1_zpsb6560f5b.jpg[/expando]

[expando]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z332/rbishop224/Foam2_zpsff7614d5.jpg[/expando]

If cut down flat, there are various sizes of First Day of Issue Cover / postcard binder protector sheets (I’m a stamp collector), that might work to display them. For example, this sheet has two horizontal pockets that are 9 ¾ " x 5 ½ ", but I think they may be refills for a special oversized stamp binder and might not fit correctly in a regular binder. There appear to be a few various pocket and sheet dimensions of this type, for displaying blocks of stamps and so on. There might be a version that is 8.5" x 11"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SuperSafe-First-Day-Cover-10-Horizontal-2-Pocket-REFILL-Pages-Refill-Pages-/310374017431

Online sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 10:39:32 AM »
I’ve only seen these billboards on eBay (I especially like Crappy Barrel), so don’t totally understand what they are like (they appear to be similar to an empty box of Good & Plenty), but I have a couple of ideas to throw out.

If you don’t want to cut down the box, you could put a metal thumbtack into the cubicle wall, and then put one of those small super strong magnets inside the box to keep it in place – the back panel of the box being held in place between the magnet and the metal thumbtack.

If you cut them down to be flat, they could be displayed in an oversized top loader. One method I use to display photos and Wackys is to mount a top loader onto a piece of foam board. I stick a piece of foam board to a top loader (with either hot glue or a loop of tape) and then attach two thumbtacks to the board, with tape, points outward). This allows you to attach the top loader to a wall, bulletin board, or anything else a tack would stick in. Instead of two thumbtacks you can use adhesive magnets. The foam board raises the top loader off the wall, fridge, or file cabinet a ¼ inch and looks sharp. If there is a discrepancy in the size of the top loader and the item (as in my example below) you could cut a piece of colored paper to fit the top loader (5”x 7” is a bit too big for the postcard), and slide the paper behind what you are displaying… a poor-man’s matting, so to speak.

[expando]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z332/rbishop224/Foam1_zpsb6560f5b.jpg[/expando]

[expando]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z332/rbishop224/Foam2_zpsff7614d5.jpg[/expando]

If cut down flat, there are various sizes of First Day of Issue Cover / postcard binder protector sheets (I’m a stamp collector), that might work to display them. For example, this sheet has two horizontal pockets that are 9 ¾ " x 5 ½ ", but I think they may be refills for a special oversized stamp binder and might not fit correctly in a regular binder. There appear to be a few various pocket and sheet dimensions of this type, for displaying blocks of stamps and so on. There might be a version that is 8.5" x 11"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SuperSafe-First-Day-Cover-10-Horizontal-2-Pocket-REFILL-Pages-Refill-Pages-/310374017431

These billboards are a tough size. If you want to put them in standard sized 3-ring binder, here are some possible options:

1) If you just fold them flat they are 5.5" x 8.5" so the real only option for binder storage is in a full binder page. They are pretty thick even when folded flat but after time will flatten out fairly well. They will not fit for horizontal orientation, however.

2) If you cut them so the full billboard front is the only portion to be stored, it is 4.5" x 8". Another tough size in terms of various binder page sizes, but doable.  As you mentioned, there are some stamp foreign cover pages that this should fit into that have pocket size of 109 x 223 mm. Here is an example at BagsUnlimited:
http://bagsunlimited.com/p-6097-binder-page-for-foreign-covers.aspx

Or would fit in some of the currency 2 pocket binder pages with 5.5" x 8.25" sized pockets. Another example at BagsUnlimited:
http://bagsunlimited.com/p-6152-safety-vinyl-binder-page.aspx

3) So if you are really daring and cut down to just the arwork portion of the billboard, it comes to 4"x 7.5"  This would just fit in one of the 128mm x 195mm  stamp binder pages. Here's a example from BagsUnlimited:
http://bagsunlimited.com/p-2879-stamp-3-ring-binder-pages-all-clear.aspx
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 10:45:15 AM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 07:26:38 PM »
Any ideas?
thanks.

I realize this thread is to find a good way to display the billboards, However if anyone on here has an extra Up Chuck E Cheese & Working Dead one along with an empty coll. display box, Please send me a PM.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 07:34:17 PM »
[quote author=Jean Nutty link=topic=2936.msg59180#msg59180

[/quote]

A fellow philatelist! I've been collecting stamps on and off almost as far back as my buying Wackys from the corner candy store...
Alex

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 08:34:27 AM »

These billboards are a tough size. If you want to put them in standard sized 3-ring binder, here are some possible options:

1) If you just fold them flat they are 5.5" x 8.5" so the real only option for binder storage is in a full binder page. They are pretty thick even when folded flat but after time will flatten out fairly well. They will not fit for horizontal orientation, however.

2) If you cut them so the full billboard front is the only portion to be stored, it is 4.5" x 8". Another tough size in terms of various binder page sizes, but doable.  As you mentioned, there are some stamp foreign cover pages that this should fit into that have pocket size of 109 x 223 mm. Here is an example at BagsUnlimited:
http://bagsunlimited.com/p-6097-binder-page-for-foreign-covers.aspx

Or would fit in some of the currency 2 pocket binder pages with 5.5" x 8.25" sized pockets. Another example at BagsUnlimited:
http://bagsunlimited.com/p-6152-safety-vinyl-binder-page.aspx

3) So if you are really daring and cut down to just the arwork portion of the billboard, it comes to 4"x 7.5"  This would just fit in one of the 128mm x 195mm  stamp binder pages. Here's a example from BagsUnlimited:
http://bagsunlimited.com/p-2879-stamp-3-ring-binder-pages-all-clear.aspx

I think the ones you found at Bags Unlimited will fit perfectly for the size I cut my down to, so I ordered the minimum 10 sheets.  I'll post pics once I get them in.  Thanks for finding them!

Online sco(o)t

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 09:21:58 AM »
I think the ones you found at Bags Unlimited will fit perfectly for the size I cut my down to, so I ordered the minimum 10 sheets.  I'll post pics once I get them in.  Thanks for finding them!

No problem. I really like BagsUnlimited. Not always the cheapest prices but they carry great stuff for collectorsand stock some items very hard to find anywhere else. I have been ordering from them for 20 years and have never been unhappy with the product of their service.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 11:48:32 AM »
No problem. I really like BagsUnlimited. Not always the cheapest prices but they carry great stuff for collectorsand stock some items very hard to find anywhere else. I have been ordering from them for 20 years and have never been unhappy with the product of their service.

That is a great site Scot!

I like their phrase, "Collection Protection" 

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 11:57:56 AM »

Please let us know how these turn out. I'm glad we can buy a few and not a box of 100. I wonder if Topps will use these again for ANS 11?

Online sco(o)t

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 12:13:16 PM »
Please let us know how these turn out. I'm glad we can buy a few and not a box of 100. I wonder if Topps will use these again for ANS 11?

I know they (ANS10 billboards) are not everyone's cup of tea but I like them. I am taking advantage of their relative unpopularity by buying a set for $15 on eBay from jeffcaff that I can cut down like Rob (Dr Popper) has done and display in a 3 ring binder. I just can't bring myself to cut up my main set however.  Seems like a set of these should go for much higher but there are pleanty of sets on eBay for under $25.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 03:52:31 PM by sco(o)t »

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 07:06:05 PM »

I realize this thread is to find a good way to display the billboards, However if anyone on here has an extra Up Chuck E Cheese & Working Dead one along with an empty coll. display box, Please send me a PM.

I would like to send a shout out to Alex for having the 2 billboards & coll. display box for me, Appreciate it.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 07:47:48 AM »

I will post pics for sure.  Based on the size of the pockets they should fit nice and snug.  They ended up being $14.00 w/postage (for 10 sleeves) so $1.30 per each, but it's worth it to have a nice way to display these in binders.  If I display them back to back I'll only need 2 of the 10 sleeves so I'll have extras for the ANS11, ANS12, ANS13, & ANS14 billboards! 

Online sco(o)t

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 03:48:56 PM »
I will post pics for sure.  Based on the size of the pockets they should fit nice and snug.  They ended up being $14.00 w/postage (for 10 sleeves) so $1.30 per each, but it's worth it to have a nice way to display these in binders.  If I display them back to back I'll only need 2 of the 10 sleeves so I'll have extras for the ANS11, ANS12, ANS13, & ANS14 billboards! 

I ordered 10 of these late last week myself. Delivery is scheduled for tomorrow. I keep a binder with all types of empty binder pages to cover many different "collecting situations" but needed something for these billboards.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 08:14:23 AM »
I ordered 10 of these late last week myself. Delivery is scheduled for tomorrow. I keep a binder with all types of empty binder pages to cover many different "collecting situations" but needed something for these billboards.

Just out of curiosity, what sized pocket sleeves do you use for the postcard series?  I use the 5" x 7" photo pages but they stick out the top a little bit.   

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 09:24:41 AM »
I've been using the Ultr-Pro Platinum 5X7 and there is plenty of room.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2013, 10:28:47 AM »
I've been using the Ultr-Pro Platinum 5X7 and there is plenty of room.

They look wavy like an ocean!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2013, 11:03:38 AM »
They look wavy like an ocean!

they're not really but there is a lot of room in them.

Online sco(o)t

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2013, 03:57:35 PM »
Just out of curiosity, what sized pocket sleeves do you use for the postcard series?  I use the 5" x 7" photo pages but they stick out the top a little bit.  

Rob, I wonder if that is not the actual pocket dimension. I have been using 2 pocket pages for the postcards. Each pocket is 5.5" x 7" and there is plenty of room (see photo 1st photo below). I am also using the Ultra Pro Platimum like Bum Chex.

Also, I received the binder pages from BagsUnlimited yesterday. These are a different plastic composition then the standard trading card pages. They are kind of stiff and almost brittle. Perhaps this is the norm for stamp and currency collecting.  Haven't made up my mind if I am fond of them yet or not. The billboards (cut) do fit in nicely though (see 2nd photo below). The page is just a bit larger than my scanner so the right edge is cut off just a bit.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 03:59:56 PM by sco(o)t »

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2013, 01:12:07 PM »
Rob, I wonder if that is not the actual pocket dimension. I have been using 2 pocket pages for the postcards. Each pocket is 5.5" x 7" and there is plenty of room (see photo 1st photo below). I am also using the Ultra Pro Platimum like Bum Chex.

Also, I received the binder pages from BagsUnlimited yesterday. These are a different plastic composition then the standard trading card pages. They are kind of stiff and almost brittle. Perhaps this is the norm for stamp and currency collecting.  Haven't made up my mind if I am fond of them yet or not. The billboards (cut) do fit in nicely though (see 2nd photo below). The page is just a bit larger than my scanner so the right edge is cut off just a bit.

Your right, I'm actually using 4" x 6" photo pages, which are actually a little bigger than 4" but not quite big enough for the top to bottom dimension, which sticks out about 1/16".  I think I decided against the 5" x 7" size because the cards moved around a little bit.

I also got the sleeves in for the Billboard cards.  They work well but I did need to do a little extra trimming on the sides because the left to right fit was so tight.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2013, 07:40:10 PM »

I would like to send a shout out to Alex for having the 2 billboards & coll. display box for me, Appreciate it.

I have an extra Grab the Throne & a Scare Bear Stare billboard along with a collector box for each one, Send me a pm if you need 1 or both.