Author Topic: OS 1 - 16 Binder Purchase Recap  (Read 52347 times)

Offline jeffcaff

Re: OS 1 - 16 Binder Purchase Recap
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2013, 12:23:42 PM »
I am hoping that Topps will send customers who purchased the first series of binders an email to order the next series.  Hopefully, they could give us a day jump before sending out the mass email to everyone.  I would consider it a fringe benefit for ordering the first series.   Does anyone know the approximate release date or shipping date of the first series binders?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2013, 01:04:42 PM »
I am hoping that Topps will send customers who purchased the first series of binders an email to order the next series.  Hopefully, they could give us a day jump before sending out the mass email to everyone.  I would consider it a fringe benefit for ordering the first series.   Does anyone know the approximate release date or shipping date of the first series binders?

i believe that is the plan. We don't have any details yet but I would assume that Topps will send emails to people that purchased the first 4 with a link to purchase the next 4 and so on. How else will we get the free 17th if they aren't keeping track. They sure can't offer a freebie and then make it the wild west. This is a very special collectors LE set that Topps would want all 17 in the collectors hands.
As far as shipping, Topps site shows May so we still have a couple weeks left. I'm hoping it's still tracking for May.
I know we all have a hundred questions but very few answers.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2013, 01:06:28 PM »
Brad, I'm basically doing what you had suggested before, that is, giving topps the benefit of the doubt and making sure I get the first release in my hands and then decide for myself whether the binders are worth the money, and worth buying series 5 thru 16. I can always blow them out thru ebay & not buy the rest of them if they aren't good & still get most of my money back. But if they are killer, I sure don't want to end up paying more on ebay than topps is asking to get a set because I didn't give them a try.

With all this speculation I can see that if the binders aren't really cool, no one will want the rest of them and the release will tank, but if they are awesome once people see them, it will be competitive to get the rest of them from topps, and those that missed out on 1 thru 4 will be at a disadvantage.

That's a great plan! Buy the first 4 and if they suck don't buy the rest...LOL :great:
I think we are all in for a nice surprise. Let's get the hype machine churning....

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2013, 01:14:29 PM »
I'm really debating about getting another set of the first binders - now that they aren't moving so fast, I wouldn't feel bad about depriving another collector of these by getting more than one. I'd like another set just to see what the other sketches would look like.
Another thing about getting these binders is that it will probably push me into finally completing or upgrading the original sticker sets, which means less funds for new product!  >:D
I wonder if binder 17 will cover the Die Cuts and Wacky Ads?
Alex

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2013, 03:26:45 PM »
None of this information is accurate. The sketch cards are NOT stickers stuck on the backs. They are drawn on the cards which look and feel just like the original series. Each binder comes with nine separate cards. The website shows a composite of the nine cards to give you an idea of what the pieces would look like as a group. The opposite sides of the checklists feature newly-designed puzzles that mirror each series.

Thanks for the information that the puzzles are in fact 9 separate pieces.  Aside from being traditional, which would feel better with OS binders, that means that a person who gets lucky with a really special sketch could swap it to a sketch collector for a different sketch, to keep their puzzle complete, plus cash.

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2013, 08:21:02 PM »
 zero : zero
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2013, 09:49:54 PM »

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2013, 09:57:54 PM »
Brad, I'm basically doing what you had suggested before, that is, giving topps the benefit of the doubt and making sure I get the first release in my hands and then decide for myself whether the binders are worth the money, and worth buying series 5 thru 16. I can always blow them out thru ebay & not buy the rest of them if they aren't good & still get most of my money back. But if they are killer, I sure don't want to end up paying more on ebay than topps is asking to get a set because I didn't give them a try.

I was considering doing just what you are talking about here and buying a set and maybe selling them later at least making back most of what I paid, but I can't do it on principle. Brad suggested that Topps is making 40% of their money back, but my guess is that Topps is at least tripling or quadrupling their money if $150,000 in binders all sell. It is just too much to ask 150 collectors to pay for.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2013, 07:27:56 AM »
I was considering doing just what you are talking about here and buying a set and maybe selling them later at least making back most of what I paid, but I can't do it on principle. Brad suggested that Topps is making 40% of their money back, but my guess is that Topps is at least tripling or quadrupling their money if $150,000 in binders all sell. It is just too much to ask 150 collectors to pay for.

I really don't know how much profit Topps is making off these but I highly doubt it's more than 40%. These are not your regular manufactured vinyl binders. These are special canvas covers that probably haven't been produced since the 70's. I'm sure finding a shop that can produce canvas covers wasn't easy and with only 150 binders the production costs go way up because of small QTY. Who knows?

Think of it as buying 4 boxes of cards every 2 months. I think they are going to look spectacular but I could be wrong gambling on the resale market. I just don't think a lot of non-forum collectors know about these plus the horrible job Topps did to market these on their website. They should be showing the front and back of the binders and show the checklist and such.

Offline Kook

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2013, 07:34:56 AM »

plus the horrible job Topps did to market these on their website. They should be showing the front and back of the binders and show the checklist and such.

My guess is that these haven't been printed or manufactured yet, so there's nothing to show.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2013, 10:46:01 AM »
Did anyone ever get an idea when we would recieve the 1st set of binders?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2013, 11:16:05 AM »
Did anyone ever get an idea when we would recieve the 1st set of binders?

All we know is it's supposed to be May so any time in the next couple weeks.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2013, 02:08:18 PM »
I broke down and bought another set, but so did many others!
I don't think the total number is correct but its based on the last number
I saw on this thread-

1:33

Alex

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2013, 11:08:52 PM »
I really don't know how much profit Topps is making off these but I highly doubt it's more than 40%. These are not your regular manufactured vinyl binders. These are special canvas covers that probably haven't been produced since the 70's. I'm sure finding a shop that can produce canvas covers wasn't easy and with only 150 binders the production costs go way up because of small QTY. Who knows?

Zazzle currently offers a made-to-order canvas binder...for something like $20 each.  Not sure if this is similar, but there you go.  Canvas binders are apparently a thing again. 

Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2013, 01:16:30 PM »
Still 9 sets left which is good news for anyone who finds out later than sooner.

Andrew

Offline Shrunken Donuts

« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2013, 07:36:51 PM »
8 remaining!

Offline wackygarbage

« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2013, 02:33:08 AM »
None of this information is accurate. The sketch cards are NOT stickers stuck on the backs. They are drawn on the cards which look and feel just like the original series. Each binder comes with nine separate cards. The website shows a composite of the nine cards to give you an idea of what the pieces would look like as a group. The opposite sides of the checklists feature newly-designed puzzles that mirror each series.

First, I want to apologize to the artists that had a hand in creating the binder sets.  I wasn't dissing you or your work.  I LOVE what every artist brings to each new release like this!  I just think, for the money that Topps is asking, the cards and sketches could have been better.  Why only 2/3rd of the back of a puzzle pic card for the sketches?  I think all of us hardcore collectors would prefer a full card sketch like every other series that has been released to date.  Am I wrong?!

Again, I am not dissing the artists in any way, shape, or form!  I do actually LOVE the binders ad maybe I'll regret not getting them during the pre-sale, maybe I won't.  I don't know!  I was simply expressing that for $260.00 for each group of 4 binders is high, even with all of the "extras" that are included.

I don't know.  I don't know.   :sad:

Michael

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2013, 03:14:54 AM »
First, I want to apologize to the artists that had a hand in creating the binder sets.  I wasn't dissing you or your work.  I LOVE what every artist brings to each new release like this!  I just think, for the money that Topps is asking, the cards and sketches could have been better.  Why only 2/3rd of the back of a puzzle pic card for the sketches?  I think all of us hardcore collectors would prefer a full card sketch like every other series that has been released to date.  Am I wrong?!

Again, I am not dissing the artists in any way, shape, or form!  I do actually LOVE the binders ad maybe I'll regret not getting them during the pre-sale, maybe I won't.  I don't know!  I was simply expressing that for $260.00 for each group of 4 binders is high, even with all of the "extras" that are included.

I don't know.  I don't know.   :sad:

Michael

I think these would still sell even if they came with NO extra's. Just the idea of a very limited/retro/ canvas OS binder done by a contemporary artist is good enough to make the project succeed.

Andrew

Offline Kook

« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2013, 06:03:36 AM »
I think these would still sell even if they came with NO extra's. Just the idea of a very limited/retro/ canvas OS binder done by a contemporary artist is good enough to make the project succeed.

Andrew

Still 7 available. I wonder if they will sell out before they actually ship...

Offline Go_Bum

« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2013, 08:06:30 AM »

Think of it as buying 4 boxes of cards every 2 months. I think they are going to look spectacular but I could be wrong gambling on the resale market. I just don't think a lot of non-forum collectors know about these plus the horrible job Topps did to market these on their website. They should be showing the front and back of the binders and show the checklist and such.

I'm guessing that Topps knew that they didn't need to put effort into advertising. Topps knows that the completists will basically have no choice but to buy them, they know that there are people in the hobby that will gobble up as many as they can to flip on ebay. Most importantly though, they added a sketch card with every binder and with a run of only 150 they can price gouge the collectors and still sell out.

Offline jeffcaff

« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2013, 08:34:15 AM »
I see things a little differently with this particular offering from Topps.   Topps will generate gross sales of $156,000 after these binders sell out.  My quick expense calculations on their material cost, customer service payroll and free UPS shipping amounts to about $85,000.   This nets them about $71,000 before taxes.  After taxes, Topps will net them about $55,000.00 in profits.   Topps clearly could have doubled the quantities and sold them into retail outlets while still selling out.   I see this offering truly for the collector.   $55,000 in profits is extremely small for a company like Topps.   I don't see Topps releasing too many offerings like this for the collector.  Topps may be over pricing some of the offering but this is clearly not one of them. 

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2013, 09:25:59 AM »
I see things a little differently with this particular offering from Topps.   Topps will generate gross sales of $156,000 after these binders sell out.  My quick expense calculations on their material cost, customer service payroll and free UPS shipping amounts to about $85,000.   This nets them about $71,000 before taxes.  After taxes, Topps will net them about $55,000.00 in profits.   Topps clearly could have doubled the quantities and sold them into retail outlets while still selling out.   I see this offering truly for the collector.   $55,000 in profits is extremely small for a company like Topps.   I don't see Topps releasing too many offerings like this for the collector.  Topps may be over pricing some of the offering but this is clearly not one of them. 

Don't forget the artists fees.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2013, 10:47:04 AM »
First, I want to apologize to the artists that had a hand in creating the binder sets.  I wasn't dissing you or your work.  I LOVE what every artist brings to each new release like this!  I just think, for the money that Topps is asking, the cards and sketches could have been better.  Why only 2/3rd of the back of a puzzle pic card for the sketches?  I think all of us hardcore collectors would prefer a full card sketch like every other series that has been released to date.  Am I wrong?!

Again, I am not dissing the artists in any way, shape, or form!  I do actually LOVE the binders ad maybe I'll regret not getting them during the pre-sale, maybe I won't.  I don't know!  I was simply expressing that for $260.00 for each group of 4 binders is high, even with all of the "extras" that are included.

I don't know.  I don't know.   :sad:

Michael

Hi Michael,

I don't think any of us thought you were dissing on the artists. The reason I replied to your earlier post was to make sure that the details of these binder sets are clear so that collectors can make an informed buying decision.  

Best Regards,
Neil

Offline Kook

« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2013, 05:28:24 AM »
BINDERS SOLD OUT per Topps site. Hopefully, they will ship soon.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2013, 07:02:11 AM »

My Paypal account hasn't been charged yet so I guess I'll have to keep an eye on that since Topps hasn't been sending shipping notices for my last couple orders.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2013, 06:52:49 PM »

That was the most anticlimactic "Sold Out" post I have ever seen.

Andrew

Offline Kook

« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2013, 08:25:04 PM »

Andrew

For those of you who didn't act in time, there was some tragic news today... The original series binder release has just sold out... never to appear again :'( :'( :'( If you missed out, prepare to dig deep into your wallets if you care to partake on ebay  >:D >:D >:D

How was that?

Offline Rabid Shaver

• Trivia Pirates
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2013, 08:29:08 PM »
For those of you who didn't act in time, there was some tragic news today... The original series binder release has just sold out... never to appear again :'( :'( :'( If you missed out, prepare to dig deep into your wallets if you care to partake on ebay  >:D >:D >:D

How was that?

Oh, the humanity..............  :'(    (sorry, just watched the Myth Busters blow up the Hindenburg)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 08:30:58 PM by Rabid Shaver »

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2013, 08:45:47 PM »

Andrew

BINDERS ARE NOW SOLD OUT!!!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2013, 08:59:05 PM »

How was that?

I think you summed it up nicely :great:

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2013, 10:57:04 PM »
Binders schmeinders!  THIS is what you need to make your collection complete!  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261219152099&ssPageName=ADME%3AL%3ALCA%3AUS%3A1123

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2013, 03:03:40 AM »
Binders schmeinders!  THIS is what you need to make your collection complete!  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261219152099&ssPageName=ADME%3AL%3ALCA%3AUS%3A1123
& I can't believe there are bidders, Jay you da man !!!!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2013, 03:16:15 AM »

How was that?
Now THAT was a "Sold Out" announcement worthy of the event which took place. My sincere thanks to you.

Andrew

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2013, 03:22:27 AM »
Just found out yesterday that Topps botched my binder order and has no record of it (but they do have the order for the ANS10 binder I ordered at the same time)   >(. The binders are now back in my "bag" and or course sold out. I am playing a long shot and asking here if anyone who puchased more than one set would consider selling their extra to me. This is the 2nd time in the past 2 years an order has gone through with Topps only to find it somehow evaporated after the fact.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2013, 07:22:13 AM »
Just found out yesterday that Topps botched my binder order and has no record of it (but they do have the order for the ANS10 binder I ordered at the same time)   >(. The binders are now back in my "bag" and or course sold out. I am playing a long shot and asking here if anyone who puchased more than one set would consider selling their extra to me. This is the 2nd time in the past 2 years an order has gone through with Topps only to find it somehow evaporated after the fact.

Didn't you get an email receipt with your order number?