Author Topic: "Something new" with sketches  (Read 6091 times)

Offline Stingline

"Something new" with sketches
« on: May 05, 2013, 03:39:01 AM »
I spoke to one of the Topps-affiliated people at the show yesterday and the conversation drifted to sketches and I said something like "it must be hard to fill demand, Topps is putting them in everything", the response I got was that this person was at a Topps meeting to discuss "something new" that Topps wants to do with sketches. I didn't push since they said they were probably not supposed to be talking about it all. Speculation can now run wild :)

My guess would be that they will push what they did with the ANS 10 collector boxes to the logical extreme, putting sketches only in limited, higher end product. That's just a guess, but it might mean less, but higher quality, sketches.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
Re: "Something new" with sketches
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 05:12:38 AM »
Did Topps have a table at the show?  Anything interesting?  The Star Wars examples they had out last time were beautiful.  And opening fun packs at the show was, well, fun :)

Offline quas

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 12:03:22 PM »
Did Topps have a table at the show?  Anything interesting?  The Star Wars examples they had out last time were beautiful.  And opening fun packs at the show was, well, fun :)

They did have a table but it was not even a shadow of what Topps used to have, which was Mike Jaspersen and surplus Wacky items for sale.  I don't recall seeing the Topps table on Saturday having even a single item related to Wackies.  Expectations were low to start with so this wasn't a letdown - but still a disappointment nonetheless.
Marc

Offline Stingline

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 10:00:43 AM »
They did have a table but it was not even a shadow of what Topps used to have, which was Mike Jaspersen and surplus Wacky items for sale.  I don't recall seeing the Topps table on Saturday having even a single item related to Wackies.  Expectations were low to start with so this wasn't a letdown - but still a disappointment nonetheless.

Yes, it was a small table and it wasn't one of those Topps people that said they were doing something "new" with sketches. I didn't even notice that table until my third time around the floor. At one point they had a couple packs of ANS10 out, but I didn't see anything else.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 09:19:47 AM »
Yes, it was a small table and it wasn't one of those Topps people that said they were doing something "new" with sketches. I didn't even notice that table until my third time around the floor. At one point they had a couple packs of ANS10 out, but I didn't see anything else.

There was just John Williams and one other fellow, but both were from corporate.  There wasn't anyone representing the Vault at the show, which is why there wasn't any Wacky products there.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 12:51:17 AM »
At the Artist's Panel at the 58th NSU show Jeff Zapata mentions what Stingline is referring to.  He also mentions the next Wacky Packages comic.   

Here's a link.  You need to go about 26 minutes in to hear the Wacky Packages news.

http://www.nsu-magazine.com/artists-panel-at-the-58th-philly-non-sports-card-show/

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 07:54:54 AM »
At the Artist's Panel at the 58th NSU show Jeff Zapata mentions what Stingline is referring to.  He also mentions the next Wacky Packages comic.   

Here's a link.  You need to go about 26 minutes in to hear the Wacky Packages news.

http://www.nsu-magazine.com/artists-panel-at-the-58th-philly-non-sports-card-show/

Interesting. I wonder what they are up to? Could he be referring to the binders?

Offline Stingline

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 12:57:44 PM »
Interesting. I wonder what they are up to? Could he be referring to the binders?

Well since he said it on the panel, I will out Zapata as the one that told me. He said he had "just been invited to a meeting at Topps" about this sketch card thing, so I think that's too recent to be the binders, so I think they have something else up their sleeves.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 10:52:40 AM »
Artists on Demand coming 6/3. Info on shoptopps.com now.

Andrew

Offline quas

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 12:37:01 PM »
Artists on Demand coming 6/3. Info on shoptopps.com now.

Andrew

Just saw that and it looks fantastic!  Does anyone know how broadly this applies?  E.g. could you send in a photograph of your kid or your pet and have an artist draw a sketch?  I'd think so but wasn't certain....
Marc

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 01:36:13 PM »
Just saw that and it looks fantastic!  Does anyone know how broadly this applies?  E.g. could you send in a photograph of your kid or your pet and have an artist draw a sketch?  I'd think so but wasn't certain....

There was a blurp that you could choose the character of the sketch from a drop down that will be available at order time.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline quas

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 01:38:18 PM »
There was a blurp that you could choose the character of the sketch from a drop down that will be available at order time.

Hopefully a character other than Koduck, Quacker Oats, Ajerx, Dr. Popper, etc., which have already been drawn countless times!
Marc

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 02:59:55 PM »
Hopefully a character other than Koduck, Quacker Oats, Ajerx, Dr. Popper, etc., which have already been drawn countless times!

I hope this is not just a way for Topps to get money that artists used to receive from "return" cards.  That would be a big problem for me.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 07:47:52 PM »
There was a blurp
Is that a blurb with gas?

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 09:11:20 AM »
I hope this is not just a way for Topps to get money that artists used to receive from "return" cards.  That would be a big problem for me.

I was also wondering how much goes to whom at the end of the day...

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2013, 02:08:25 PM »
Is that a blurb with gas?
Blurp is Slurp's bro.
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2013, 04:27:03 AM »
Funny, we're still waiting for the "Sketches on Demand" but we have already gotten a different new sketch item with the large sketch cards (including artist combos) in Postcard Series 9 packs.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2013, 04:53:36 AM »
Funny, we're still waiting for the "Sketches on Demand" but we have already gotten a different new sketch item with the large sketch cards (including artist combos) in Postcard Series 9 packs.

And don't forget the sketch stickers!