Author Topic: Original Series 1 - 16 Binder Purchase Intention Thread  (Read 20922 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: Original Series 1 - 16 Binder Purchase Intention Thread
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2013, 08:12:04 PM »
Your attention to detail astounds me. How many times has it been said "NSU binders"? Non Sport Update. $50 for this set was pretty reasonable. I wanted to buy a set, but they'd sold out by the time I got back into the hobby.

I'd much rather spend the $400 for the NSUs than even $400 (let alone a grand) for these new ones, sketch or not. Topps is crucking fazy.

I am astonishing...LOL
on the back of the binders it has a blurb about NSU and below that it has a Topps blurb. I just clicked on the link to the last auction posted and its been removed so I can't post a picture.

When I looked at the picture its a bit confusing because both Topps and NSU are mentioned on each binder. I'm sure Topps is only referenced for copyright but was it a project by Topps and NSU? I have no idea? It was way before I got back in the hobby.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2013, 08:20:44 PM »
Your attention to detail astounds me. How many times has it been said "NSU binders"? Non Sport Update. $50 for this set was pretty reasonable. I wanted to buy a set, but they'd sold out by the time I got back into the hobby.

I'd much rather spend the $400 for the NSUs than even $400 (let alone a grand) for these new ones, sketch or not. Topps is crucking fazy.

Also, some people think I'm too passionate for the new stuff but this is a product for the original series. Forget the sketch card these are beautiful binders and you get special bonus cards exclusive to the original series.
People might think these are too expensive but I don't think you are looking at the total value for collectors. If you miss out you may be kicking yourself like missing out on the NSU binders? We just don't know yet. And NO I don't work for Topps...HaHa, just a passionate Wacky collector :great:

Offline MadMike

« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2013, 08:23:41 PM »
We need as many passionate collectors as possible.  I love the fact that many people are excited about the binders. 

The price is just too much for me to wrap my mind around.  I would rather spend my money on other stuff.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2013, 08:33:53 PM »

When I looked at the picture its a bit confusing because both Topps and NSU are mentioned on each binder. I'm sure Topps is only referenced for copyright but was it a project by Topps and NSU? I have no idea? It was way before I got back in the hobby.

I assume the binders were licensed by Topps – similar to how Bank of America might use Snoopy in a commercial. I assume they shared in the profits, or maybe Topps did it just to promote the Wacky Package brand.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2013, 08:51:52 PM »
I assume the binders were licensed by Topps – similar to how Bank of America might use Snoopy in a commercial. I assume they shared in the profits, or maybe Topps did it just to promote the Wacky Package brand.
I think Topps allowed them to be produced, doubt there was much, if any, licensing going on. A bit more about them.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2013, 10:13:51 PM »
I think Topps allowed them to be produced, doubt there was much, if any, licensing going on. A bit more about them.

I think you are right. The period of time in the mid to late ’90s was a VERY dry period for Wacky collectors. Topps was showing no interest in the franchise. Some hard-core collectors were producing their own items to keep the Wacky spirit alive. Thus the Lost Wacky series and Xpack series of that time and these NSU binders. Topps seemed to look the other way to these enterprises, seemingly out of disinterest in anything Wacky. I was just starting to slide away from the hobby about this time because most activity was concentrated on the buying/selling/trading of the original Wacky art that had been auctioned by Topps. it was basically the only new Wacky game in town. But it was too big-money for me with two young kids and building a house, etc. I also seem to remember it as a time highlighted by lots of internal fighting between several of the really hard core collectors.  The Prodigy service at that time had a Wacky Packages forum that was that day's equivalent to this forum. Seemed to be lots of fighting over art deals nd these various non Topps projects. Kind of a dark period in the hobby from my point of view.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2013, 01:21:36 AM »
I think you are right. The period of time in the mid to late ’90s was a VERY dry period for Wacky collectors. Topps was showing no interest in the franchise. Some hard-core collectors were producing their own items to keep the Wacky spirit alive. Thus the Lost Wacky series and Xpack series of that time and these NSU binders. Topps seemed to look the other way to these enterprises, seemingly out of disinterest in anything Wacky. I was just starting to slide away from the hobby about this time because most activity was concentrated on the buying/selling/trading of the original Wacky art that had been auctioned by Topps. it was basically the only new Wacky game in town. But it was too big-money for me with two young kids and building a house, etc. I also seem to remember it as a time highlighted by lots of internal fighting between several of the really hard core collectors.  The Prodigy service at that time had a Wacky Packages forum that was that day's equivalent to this forum. Seemed to be lots of fighting over art deals nd these various non Topps projects. Kind of a dark period in the hobby from my point of view.

My understanding is that NSU had permission from Topps for their binders.  Certainly wouldn't have been a good idea for a non-sports card magazine publisher to get Topps mad at them!!  The NSU binders really are nice, and I kept my sets in them for several years.  I wish Topps had gone with just 4 binders too.  17 OS binders will take up a LOT of room!  Way more than necessary.  Then, there are all the Old School, ANS and postcard binders.  Next thing you know Topps will be offering limited edition Wacky bookcases to hold all the special binders!

The late 90's were great for me as a Wacky collector, as I finally had the money to really pursue completing my 1-16 runs.  I bought beautiful complete sets of both 1 and 16 from a collector I met through ebay.  Somehow, I was totally ignorant of the art sales, and the existence of forums.  Think it was around 2005 when I stumbled across Greg's forum.

Offline ronlisa

• Ron's Game Room
« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2013, 06:47:30 AM »
Hello everybody! I have not been on the forum for a great while.

Just wanted to answer the topic to help keep track on where the 150 binders are going to.  I received a text from Topps yesterday about them  but i didn't read it until last night.
I bought a set around 8 pm and they were still available then. Planning on buying the whole series.

I don't like the price but they should go up in value if a person would ever want to sell, which I would probably never do but it's pease of mind knowing so.

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2013, 07:42:24 AM »

Just wanted to answer the topic to help keep track on where the 150 binders are going to.  I received a text from Topps yesterday about them  but i didn't read it until last night.
I bought a set around 8 pm and they were still available then. Planning on buying the whole series.

I don't like the price but they should go up in value if a person would ever want to sell, which I would probably never do but it's pease of mind knowing so.

Will have to hold on to them for 3 or 4 years
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2013, 09:33:22 AM »
My understanding is that NSU had permission from Topps for their binders.  Certainly wouldn't have been a good idea for a non-sports card magazine publisher to get Topps mad at them!!  The NSU binders really are nice, and I kept my sets in them for several years.  I wish Topps had gone with just 4 binders too.  17 OS binders will take up a LOT of room!  Way more than necessary.  Then, there are all the Old School, ANS and postcard binders.  Next thing you know Topps will be offering limited edition Wacky bookcases to hold all the special binders!

The late 90's were great for me as a Wacky collector, as I finally had the money to really pursue completing my 1-16 runs.  I bought beautiful complete sets of both 1 and 16 from a collector I met through ebay.  Somehow, I was totally ignorant of the art sales, and the existence of forums.  Think it was around 2005 when I stumbled across Greg's forum.

You are correct that NSU had permission from Topps to do the binders.  I believe that was one of Roxanne's projects. 

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2013, 07:20:41 PM »

I think the first 4 binders will likely hold their value, not so sure that they will escalate. I doubt that the 5-16 series binders will hold their value. It may take Topps a long time to sell out of them at the prices they are charging. I guess it depends on how cool the binders and the inserts look.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2013, 09:38:38 PM »
I think the first 4 binders will likely hold their value, not so sure that they will escalate. I doubt that the 5-16 series binders will hold their value. It may take Topps a long time to sell out of them at the prices they are charging. I guess it depends on how cool the binders and the inserts look.

If you buy 1-4 you get an email to buy the next batch of 4. I would assume most that bought 1-4 would want them all to get the free binder? Once these sell out will Topps even have to sell them again on their site? You need to buy the first 4 to be in the binder club.
I won't be putting my original series in these since they are in the top loader binders but I think I will take all the inserts and dill the first couple binders. The rest will be there for show. I will probably sell off my second batch of binders minus the inserts. I can't come up with a plan yet until I see them in person.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2013, 02:36:57 AM »
If you buy 1-4 you get an email to buy the next batch of 4. I would assume most that bought 1-4 would want them all to get the free binder? Once these sell out will Topps even have to sell them again on their site? You need to buy the first 4 to be in the binder club.
I won't be putting my original series in these since they are in the top loader binders but I think I will take all the inserts and dill the first couple binders. The rest will be there for show. I will probably sell off my second batch of binders minus the inserts. I can't come up with a plan yet until I see them in person.

I was told buying the first 4 volumes only gets you an email stating exactly when the release will be put on sale at Topps. There will not be a purchase link in your email. It will just be a courtesy heads up.
This seems like a non-issue at present with no sell out but that is the case. No one gets the security of knowing they are covered for the whole series.

Andrew

anything