Author Topic: NEW OFFICIAL SERIES 1-16 WACKY PACKAGES BINDERS COMING SOON!!!  (Read 166120 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: NEW OFFICIAL SERIES 1-16 WACKY PACKAGES BINDERS COMING SOON!!!
« Reply #140 on: May 08, 2013, 03:31:00 PM »
Two sets of binders will run me $2,235 with tax, assuming the postage is free.  Who's going to pay me that to cover my keeper set?

You might be surprised. These could end up selling for $100+ each after 1-17 have been released. There will be people who missed out and may not have even known about them. Even if they sell for $100 each you would only have $500 invested in your set. You might even do better because the lost wacky binder could be the one that is really sought after?
It's all speculation but at $100 that is only $35 over the retail value so it's not a huge markup. No one knows yet. If these sold out in a couple minutes I would probably say they would sell easily over $100 each. I just don't think a lot of people know about this yet. There are a lot of collectors that don't even look at our forum.

I'll throw one more thing out. Remember when postcards had a run of 200. Quite a few unopened packs sold initially for around $200 on ebay. The draw was people missing out on the initial order. These binders have a lower QTY.

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #141 on: May 08, 2013, 03:38:19 PM »
Why not buy 2 sets of binders? Sell one set and use the profit to pay for your keeper set? It's not rocket science and with only 150 made I'm sure you will see the value of these go up quite a bit. I've been wrong before though... :] :]

I hear ya, but as nifty as a product that this might be, there is no way I could justify spending that much money on binders when I have 4 fully-functional D-ring binders that house my 1-16 quite nicely (cards, puzzles, printouts of various articles, posts, and pictures saved over the years of the forum, special keepsakes, etc etc etc).  Topps has gone off the deep end moreso than the NRA, imho.   Even if I had a grand to toss around like it was a dollar, I don't think I'd buy them on principle--that's just an insanely ridiculous price.  Shame on Topps.
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #142 on: May 08, 2013, 03:43:28 PM »
I hear ya, but as nifty as a product that this might be, there is no way I could justify spending that much money on binders when I have 4 fully-functional D-ring binders that house my 1-16 quite nicely (cards, puzzles, printouts of various articles, posts, and pictures saved over the years of the forum, special keepsakes, etc etc etc).  Topps has gone off the deep end moreso than the NRA, imho.   Even if I had a grand to toss around like it was a dollar, I don't think I'd buy them on principle--that's just an insanely ridiculous price.  Shame on Topps.

I think this is going to be more of a collectable and a keepsake than a regular binder would be. Each binder comes with a COA and is numbered. I guess I don't look at it like I would a regular binder Topps puts out.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #143 on: May 08, 2013, 03:49:17 PM »
I think this is going to be more of a collectable and a keepsake than a regular binder would be. Each binder comes with a COA and is numbered. I guess I don't look at it like I would a regular binder Topps puts out.

Seems like any chance of selling individual pieces is shot though, since the COA, sketch, etc., are all part of the puzzle.

Offline rdsjnk

« Reply #144 on: May 08, 2013, 04:11:50 PM »
I'm in for 1 set. Thanks to View Monster  :great: for the 20% off code, I used it for a ANS10 binder, Garbage Pail binder and a comic book. And got free shipping!

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #145 on: May 08, 2013, 07:01:24 PM »
Called 1-866-374-8266 and got my 20% off entire order (added ANS10 binder) ....all who make this initial order will receive an advanced Email on the next set of Binders
so they do not miss them....no subscriptions.   (bought 2 sets) ....took a little bite out anyway LOL

Are you saying that calling the number got you 20% off your order?  Or did you have a code?  I did try the code, but as others stated, it didn't work.  Makes me want to cancel my pre-order and order again, but this time throw in an ANS10 binder or something.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #146 on: May 08, 2013, 07:30:52 PM »
Are you saying that calling the number got you 20% off your order?  Or did you have a code?  I did try the code, but as others stated, it didn't work.  Makes me want to cancel my pre-order and order again, but this time throw in an ANS10 binder or something.
I tried the code when adding an ANS10 binder, and while the code was accepted vs rejected, the discount was only applied against the ANS10 binder, and nothing else.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #147 on: May 08, 2013, 07:53:28 PM »
Anyone get shipping notice yet :o

Offline Rabid Shaver

• Trivia Pirates
« Reply #148 on: May 08, 2013, 07:58:20 PM »
I tried the code when adding an ANS10 binder, and while the code was accepted vs rejected, the discount was only applied against the ANS10 binder, and nothing else.

I told them I had a 20% off code that for some reason didn't get accepted the first time ($520), I would like to have that fixed, and also add the purchase of ANS10 binder....
total was $432 when done. (also kept him off guard with other questions about the series LOL......went through with paypal refund....that might be key....the code is the
same for all.....he did ask me if I had ever used the code before....may not keep records..............
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 08:00:40 PM by Rabid Shaver »

• Administrator
« Reply #149 on: May 08, 2013, 08:15:17 PM »
Anyone get shipping notice yet :o
probably not for a couple of weeks, right?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #150 on: May 08, 2013, 08:47:14 PM »
probably not for a couple of weeks, right?

I really have no idea but I think it will be soon, like next week. Topps has been behind on a few things lately so it could be anyones guess. I really can't wait to see these.
I'm also really surprised these haven't sold out yet. I know price is a factor but you don't have to commit to the other volumes. I thought this would sell out within an hour with only 150 but the only advertising I know of is the forum. It might show that the forum members only make up a small fraction of Topps sales? When we ask Topps to help us out with getting first dibs on new releases maybe they are considering the lower volume of sales from the forum members? I don't have any statistics to back this but if we have 150 forum members buying then these would have sold out today.

You never know with a new product because it could be the offering or price. I also imagine these binders are not cheap to make along with paying the artists. Topps is making a profit but I think they do some of these on-off type projects from suggestions by the artists. They are fans too. Each binder cover is a painting by the artists and not Photoshopped. This is a labor of love. I hope Topps auctions off the original art. If you think the binders are expensive wait to see the selling price of the original art.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #151 on: May 08, 2013, 09:16:17 PM »

we have some really old binders like that still being used around the office. all of them are a thin blue denim-like cloth adhered to board.

I had forgotten about that binder style. I did a search, and wow, a blast from the past! Pee Chee folders also fall into that category   

Memories, like the corners of my mind.         Misty watercolor memories                       

Those were the days . . .

Offline Kook

« Reply #152 on: May 09, 2013, 05:32:40 AM »
I had forgotten about that binder style. I did a search, and wow, a blast from the past! Pee Chee folders also fall into that category   

(Image removed from quote.)

Forgot all about those... Great pic! I bet these new binders will be like a giant ans10 cloth sticker.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #153 on: May 09, 2013, 05:41:04 AM »
Forgot all about those... Great pic! I bet these new binders will be like a giant ans10 cloth sticker.

We still have several of those kinds of binders at work.  They hold log book pages for construction applications going back decades, and are labeled on the spines and fronts with black magic marker.  No fancy labels required!!

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!
« Reply #154 on: May 09, 2013, 06:31:34 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

I had one of those in grade school - looked exactly like that, except I had Wackys stuck all over it!

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!
« Reply #155 on: May 09, 2013, 06:55:46 AM »
You might be surprised. These could end up selling for $100+ each after 1-17 have been released. There will be people who missed out and may not have even known about them. Even if they sell for $100 each you would only have $500 invested in your set. You might even do better because the lost wacky binder could be the one that is really sought after?
It's all speculation but at $100 that is only $35 over the retail value so it's not a huge markup. No one knows yet. If these sold out in a couple minutes I would probably say they would sell easily over $100 each. I just don't think a lot of people know about this yet. There are a lot of collectors that don't even look at our forum.

I'll throw one more thing out. Remember when postcards had a run of 200. Quite a few unopened packs sold initially for around $200 on ebay. The draw was people missing out on the initial order. These binders have a lower QTY.

This debate about the future value of these and their investment opportunity is really hard to predict.  To Brad's points, I could see the series 1-4 binders being worth more than their (arguably high) intial selling price.  There are several things they have going for them:

1).  Very low quantity - 150 is a very low number for something this elaborate and difficult to manufacture.
2).  Original series sticker sets have far more monetary and sentimental value than ANS sets.  If you look at the cost of the binder relative to the value of the stickers inside, it's easier to justify a one-time spend of $60 for a nice presentation book.
3).  Roxanne's binders from years ago still command high prices on ebay, and these look to be far nicer and include unique inserts and a sketch card.
4).  The long-term collector value of original series material seems stable, unlike ANS stuff that drops like a rock a few months after its release.
5).  Once these are released and start showing up on ebay, there may be a high demand if they're really nice.  Then people who ordered the later sets will feel obligated to pay whatever it takes to backfill the first 4 binders in their collection.

Of course, it all depends on how well these are made and if they inserts themselves have any perceived value.  It's also hard to tell if the later series binders will be worth as much, as not as many people collected series 13-16 as kids and if you were only going to buy one set, I'd think it would be 1-4.  Anyway, it will be interesting to see how this plays out.  I'm in it because I really like having designed binders for my card sets; not for their resale value.  But at this price, you'd hope that you could at least make your money back if you wanted to sell them later.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #156 on: May 09, 2013, 07:12:35 AM »
Two sets of binders will run me $2,235 with tax, assuming the postage is free.  Who's going to pay me that to cover my keeper set?

For that price I'd be seriously looking into buying silver.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #157 on: May 09, 2013, 08:09:19 AM »
Seems like any chance of selling individual pieces is shot though, since the COA, sketch, etc., are all part of the puzzle.

That's true.  The individual cards will need to be kept intact because splitting up the puzzle won't make sense.  The sketch cards with the binders won't be peddled like other sketch cards.  They are just part of the puzzle backs.  These card sets should be kept together, but it would be pretty cool to have them all in the same binder if you get the complete run of them. 

I just don't see any practicality in actually using the binders for my collection because there's just too many of them relative to the # of cards going inside.  I would love to see one or two large binders for the entire 1-16 series with tab pages pre-inserted by series, with some cover art by Topps on each.   
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #158 on: May 09, 2013, 09:15:12 AM »
Hi Neil,

Can you clarify one thing for me? 

Regarding the artist bio cards, is there an artist designated specifically
for each of the 16 (and eventually 17) binders?  What I mean is, we're not
just going to get a random bio card put in with each binder, and run the
risk of getting 17 binders and not have at least a full set of 9 bio cards?
That would royally be my luck :(

For example, you may be the exclusive artist for series 1, Smokin' Joe may
be exclusive to series 2, Slamjim for series 3, et cetera et cetera...

Just want to make sure that if one eventually purchases the full set, we wouldn't
run any chance of missing out on anything.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline tearawayface

« Reply #159 on: May 09, 2013, 09:26:00 AM »
I think I disagree with the consensus that these 9 card sets will not be broken apart, you only need one puzzle and people are nuts for Sketch cards so I think they will be broken apart...time will tell

Offline Kook

« Reply #160 on: May 09, 2013, 09:42:44 AM »
I think I disagree with the consensus that these 9 card sets will not be broken apart, you only need one puzzle and people are nuts for Sketch cards so I think they will be broken apart...time will tell

My guess is that it's 1 puzzle per binder (or series), so pulling any sketch out of a puzzle will orphan that puzzle. It also means that you can't really put the bio cards together in a set, or the wacky ads since pulling them from their original puzzle to make that set will break up the puzzle for the series. This may lead people to try and buy extra puzzles so they can build a complete puzzle set, and then a wacky ads set, a bio set, a sketch collection, checklist set etc... That would be crazy expensive, and I would think it would also be kind of difficult considering the amounts produced.

But when you think about it, it's no more expensive or crazy than putting together an ans gold set, or red ludlow backed set. People typically pay between $50 and $100 for a single gold or ludlow to try and complete the set. Here, you're getting the puzzle - consisting of 3 wacky ads, bio card, sketch card & checklist (+ a few promos) & a nice binder for $65. I think these sets may end up being chopped, sold, combined & collected in as many different ways as you can imagine.

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!
« Reply #161 on: May 09, 2013, 09:50:42 AM »

I agree - I suspect that some people only want the binders and will sell of all the exclusive cards to recoup the cost of the binders.  If you want to be a purist, none of the new checklists, sketches or other inserts really belong in a binder full of 1973-era Wackys, so you could sell them off without a lot of regret.  Conversely, there are probably some collectors who would like to have the inserts but really don't want individual binders for each series (most people are happy putting 4 sets in a binder; 17 binders would take up a lot of space).

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #162 on: May 09, 2013, 09:56:32 AM »
Remember, each binder will have all the characters from that series so I can see people wanting the whole set instead of a few. It would be a whole collection of all the wacky characters.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #163 on: May 09, 2013, 09:58:09 AM »
Hi Neil,

Can you clarify one thing for me? 

Regarding the artist bio cards, is there an artist designated specifically
for each of the 16 (and eventually 17) binders?  What I mean is, we're not
just going to get a random bio card put in with each binder, and run the
risk of getting 17 binders and not have at least a full set of 9 bio cards?
That would royally be my luck :(

For example, you may be the exclusive artist for series 1, Smokin' Joe may
be exclusive to series 2, Slamjim for series 3, et cetera et cetera...

Just want to make sure that if one eventually purchases the full set, we wouldn't
run any chance of missing out on anything.

Thanks,
Paul

Hi Paul,

You're correct. Each binder is painted by one artist. What that means is that the cards in each series pertains to that particular artist (bio card, sketch card and COA). Nothing random about it!

• Administrator
« Reply #164 on: May 09, 2013, 10:08:16 AM »
Hi Paul,

You're correct. Each binder is painted by one artist. What that means is that the cards in each series pertains to that particular artist (bio card, sketch card and COA). Nothing random about it!
can you clarify if the puzzle/checklist paper stock is white, and the checklist side is being printed with that grey/brown 'cardboard color' tone everywhere except the sketch card 'window', leaving that spot nice and white for the sketches?
or is the paper stock grey/brown, and the sketch is done on white adhesive paper that's then stuck to the checklist card?

or is that picture on the topps site widely inaccurate compared to the finished product?

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #165 on: May 09, 2013, 12:07:05 PM »
can you clarify if the puzzle/checklist paper stock is white, and the checklist side is being printed with that grey/brown 'cardboard color' tone everywhere except the sketch card 'window', leaving that spot nice and white for the sketches?
or is the paper stock grey/brown, and the sketch is done on white adhesive paper that's then stuck to the checklist card?

or is that picture on the topps site widely inaccurate compared to the finished product?

All of the checklists are printed to emulate the classic style of cards, ie, the look and feel are as close as possible to the original series.  Also, the sketches are drawn directly on the card.

Offline Kook

« Reply #166 on: May 09, 2013, 01:28:14 PM »
All of the checklists are printed to emulate the classic style of cards, ie, the look and feel are as close as possible to the original series.  Also, the sketches are drawn directly on the card.

Any idea how close (or far) they are to selling out? I'm curious due to the extremely low volume and high price.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #167 on: May 09, 2013, 03:41:09 PM »
Any idea how close (or far) they are to selling out? I'm curious due to the extremely low volume and high price.

I don't have any sales info.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #168 on: May 09, 2013, 03:51:42 PM »
I hadn't seen this posted yet. Received this email from Topps today showing the subsequent binder availabilty dates:
Also on the Topps site but just for anyone wondering... 

« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 03:57:46 PM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

• Administrator
« Reply #169 on: May 09, 2013, 03:59:59 PM »
I hadn't seen this posted yet. Received this email from Topps today showing the subsequent binder availabilty dates:

yep, looks like all the same dates as listed with the binder pre-order info on the topps site

(you need to click the "Read More" button to see them)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #170 on: May 09, 2013, 04:22:13 PM »
yep, looks like all the same dates as listed with the binder pre-order info on the topps site

(you need to click the "Read More" button to see them)

I think they needed more information, such as:

1.  If you buy the first 4, do you have a subscription to guarantee subsequent sets?
2.  How can you be sure you'll get the 17th binder?  As asked above, is this a subscription?
3.  How does numbering work?
4.  A sample of a puzzle front

Just my 2 cents.

• Administrator
« Reply #171 on: May 09, 2013, 04:29:04 PM »
I think they needed more information, such as:

1.  If you buy the first 4, do you have a subscription to guarantee subsequent sets?
2.  How can you be sure you'll get the 17th binder?  As asked above, is this a subscription?
3.  How does numbering work?
4.  A sample of a puzzle front

Just my 2 cents.

I think it's:
1. No, there are no subscriptions.
2. Topps will keep track, you can count on it. Hopefully. Maybe.
3. Which numbering? there are numbers written on one of the checklist cards, that one?
4. the binder cover picture is the puzzle, right?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #172 on: May 09, 2013, 04:57:05 PM »
I think it's:
1. No, there are no subscriptions.
2. Topps will keep track, you can count on it. Hopefully. Maybe.
3. Which numbering? there are numbers written on one of the checklist cards, that one?
4. the binder cover picture is the puzzle, right?

Yeah, Topps' track record with me isn't good for customer service, so I have my doubts about items 1 and 2.

The "COA" shows a handwritten limited edition set number, but there are other numbers shown on 3 other cards.....  Maybe a full set of binders gets a set of those numbers? 

I didn't see anything that said the puzzle was of the binder art.  Maybe it is, but it would be cool if they created a new title.

Seems to me it's crazy to give such incomplete information for such an expensive product.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #173 on: May 09, 2013, 06:53:15 PM »
Neil said if you buy the first 4 Topps will send you an email when the next 4 are available so its not a subscription but you are in the club. Keep an eye on your spam folder.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 06:59:45 PM by BumChex »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #174 on: May 09, 2013, 06:56:03 PM »

Seems to me it's crazy to give such incomplete information for such an expensive product.

HaHa, ya, it seems like the more we know the less we really know. Topps seems to like to all this secrecy. They are worse than Apple. At least Apple tells you every detail when a product is announced. Maybe not so much bad customer service as horrible product marketing.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 06:59:25 PM by BumChex »

anything