Author Topic: NEW OFFICIAL SERIES 1-16 WACKY PACKAGES BINDERS COMING SOON!!!  (Read 166147 times)

Offline View Monster

• Sights For Sore-Eyes
  • ___ a.k.a. wackyfan ___
    • Non-Sport trading cardz
Re: NEW OFFICIAL SERIES 1-16 WACKY PACKAGES BINDERS COMING SOON!!!
« Reply #105 on: May 08, 2013, 10:34:40 AM »
$260 for 4 binders?  Really?  Even with all the "extras" that is ridiculous.  Hell, the binders for series 5 - 8 will be worth more than the cards they are meant to store.  Probably 9 - 12 as well!  Sorry, no offense, but spending over $1000 to get a set of these things is idiotic.

I am so done with Topps...

DITTO! I did a quick glance at them and I thought it was $260 for 16 binders and I still had no interest in them. 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 10:38:56 AM by View Monster »

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #106 on: May 08, 2013, 10:52:36 AM »
I think they are actually sketch 'stickers' (and signatures), that are being stuck on to the back of the checklist sheet.

see how the checklist cardboard is that grey/brown color, and those two items are bright white? stickers.

I also wonder if these are just mock-ups (or whatever the right marketing term is). You know, something constructed to show what the end product will look like but short of them having the actual product yet.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline tearawayface

« Reply #107 on: May 08, 2013, 11:00:00 AM »
I think is a bit Cheap of them not to make the Sketch card a standard style card, how much could one extra standalone card cost? To stick it on the back of the puzzle is a bit cheap & tacky especially for something that costs that much in my opinion. Its like getting half a sketch card

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #108 on: May 08, 2013, 11:15:53 AM »
I think they are actually sketch 'stickers' (and signatures), that are being stuck on to the back of the checklist sheet.

see how the checklist cardboard is that grey/brown color, and those two items are bright white? stickers.

I'm not so sure about that. I just looked at the picture again and I could enlarge it this time. It looks different than this morning so they must have changed the image. It still looks like one full sheet but that could be just the image. It looks like the bonus cards are numbered so I wonder how many there are total and if they really are cards? Topps needs to give us more detail.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #109 on: May 08, 2013, 11:20:43 AM »
DITTO! I did a quick glance at them and I thought it was $260 for 16 binders and I still had no interest in them. 

I thought the same thing when I placed my pre-order. I thought $260 was an incredible deal for 17 binders, 17 sketches. etc. Silly me!!! I just cancelled my pre-order. Too rich for my blood.

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #110 on: May 08, 2013, 11:21:46 AM »
As much as I love Wackys and the superb work of the current artists, I am passing on the binders for many of the same reasons outlined by others above. I would have expected separate sketch cards - these appear really "cramped" to me. Also reading each binder contains "one of nine different artist bio cards" - I'm not chasing stuff like this anymore - good luck to the complete-ists!

Even if the cost weren't an issue (which it definitely is imo), these are just not interesting enough for me. And I have to say - and maybe this is just me - but the cost plus the fact that once committed you're going to want to get them all seems too manufactured for my liking.

I hope they sell out and everyone who bought them really enjoys them. I'm going to spend the $$$ on filling the original series stickers I'm missing instead.

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: May 08, 2013, 11:26:28 AM »
I'm not so sure about that. I just looked at the picture again and I could enlarge it this time. It looks different than this morning so they must have changed the image. It still looks like one full sheet but that could be just the image. It looks like the bonus cards are numbered so I wonder how many there are total and if they really are cards? Topps needs to give us more detail.
they'll probably cut the sheet up into 9 cards, making it more like the original puzzle pieces.
I can't imagine folks breaking up the 9 card set to sell individual pieces though, since it's all integrated.
would anyone really sell the center square as a sketch card?

if there's 3 bonus per sheet, there's at least 48. I see one of them is numbered 35, so that would track out.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #112 on: May 08, 2013, 11:27:09 AM »
As much as I love Wackys and the superb work of the current artists, I am passing on the binders for many of the same reasons outlined by others above. I would have expected separate sketch cards - these appear really "cramped" to me. Also reading each binder contains "one of nine different artist bio cards" - I'm not chasing stuff like this anymore - good luck to the complete-ists!

Even if the cost weren't an issue (which it definitely is imo), these are just not interesting enough for me. And I have to say - and maybe this is just me - but the cost plus the fact that once committed you're going to want to get them all seems too manufactured for my liking.

I hope they sell out and everyone who bought them really enjoys them. I'm going to spend the $$$ on filling the original series stickers I'm missing instead.

They are kind of expensive I grant you that but Topps generally puts out a nice product. We always have to go back and forth trying to figure out more details but when the final product arrives at our doors it's usually a good experience. With only 150 made I don't want to be left out if these turn out to be more than what we expected.

Offline Rabid Shaver

• Trivia Pirates
« Reply #113 on: May 08, 2013, 11:29:04 AM »
Called 1-866-374-8266 and got my 20% off entire order (added ANS10 binder) ....all who make this initial order will receive an advanced Email on the next set of Binders
so they do not miss them....no subscriptions.   (bought 2 sets) ....took a little bite out anyway LOL

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #114 on: May 08, 2013, 11:31:05 AM »
they'll probably cut the sheet up into 9 cards, making it more like the original puzzle pieces.
I can't imagine folks breaking up the 9 card set to sell individual pieces though, since it's all integrated.
would anyone really sell the center square as a sketch card?

if there's 3 bonus per sheet, there's at least 48. I see one of them is numbered 35, so that would track out.

Yes, selling the sketch would break up the puzzle so I don't see people doing that, but what do I know :]? I can also see people selling a set of the bonus cards too. There will be collectors only looking for the bonus cards so I'm sure there will be a few non-complete binder sets in the future.
One thing that will be interesting to see is how sellers break these up because nothing can be complete until Nov. when you get the final binders.

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: May 08, 2013, 11:31:20 AM »
Also reading each binder contains "one of nine different artist bio cards" - I'm not chasing stuff like this anymore - good luck to the complete-ists!
it's ugly, but not quite that ugly.
each series has just 1 artist bio card. and across all 17 binders, you'll end up with 9 different bios (with most duped)
but there aren't 9 different for each binder.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #116 on: May 08, 2013, 11:36:09 AM »
Called 1-866-374-8266 and got my 20% off entire order (added ANS10 binder) ....all who make this initial order will receive an advanced Email on the next set of Binders
so they do not miss them....no subscriptions.   (bought 2 sets) ....took a little bite out anyway LOL

Did they give you any indication on when they plan to ship?

• Administrator
« Reply #117 on: May 08, 2013, 11:36:31 AM »
I just called them and they said no, that promo doesn't apply to the pre-order. you got lucky?

Offline Rabid Shaver

• Trivia Pirates
« Reply #118 on: May 08, 2013, 11:38:05 AM »
I just called them and they said no, that promo doesn't apply to the pre-order. you got lucky?

apparently??  (did use paypal for initial order.......

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #119 on: May 08, 2013, 11:47:25 AM »
Ouch!!!!! $260 for FOUR binders????
Where do you sign up for the newsletter? I don't see that on wackypackages.com -
I think I signed up for the facebook app, but I haven't gotten a wacky notice on facebook in months....

Alex

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #120 on: May 08, 2013, 11:58:09 AM »

To confirm, each binder includes nine separate standard-size (3 1/2" x 2 1/2") cards (not stickers) that emulate the look and feel of the original series. The opposite sides make up a 9-piece collage-style puzzle.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #121 on: May 08, 2013, 12:00:49 PM »
Neil,
Do you also know if there will be color sketch cards or just B & W?

There will be some of each.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #122 on: May 08, 2013, 12:21:11 PM »
There will be some of each.

THEY SHOULD ALL BE COLOR FOR THAT PRICE!!TELL'EM (TOPPS) TOO MAKE THE NEXT TRANCHE OF BINDERS HAVE ALL COLOR SKETCHES OR AT LEAST THE LAST TRANCHE...NOW THAT WOULD BE COOL!!!  :] :] :]

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #123 on: May 08, 2013, 12:34:22 PM »

Is this the first time we’ve seen Wacky sketches in landscape format?

Offline tearawayface

« Reply #124 on: May 08, 2013, 12:35:02 PM »
I think I solved the mystery of the 17th series binder, after all of this is over and you have plunked down $1040 you will have a set of 48 cards you can put into Binder #17.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #125 on: May 08, 2013, 12:44:48 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

YEA WITH THE TOP HALF CUT OFF...OR CUT-WRONG!!!! :] :] :]

Offline tearawayface

« Reply #126 on: May 08, 2013, 12:50:22 PM »
I would rather see a "traditional" looking sketch card, portrait color card, this looks like they skimped out in order to put the puzzle on the back.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #127 on: May 08, 2013, 12:51:35 PM »

on second thought, I think some of the shaped sketches were

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #128 on: May 08, 2013, 12:57:56 PM »
In for 2 sets. Gambling that these are sweet.  Time will tell. Glad to have been able to buy them.

Regards,  Andrew

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #129 on: May 08, 2013, 01:01:20 PM »
I think I solved the mystery of the 17th series binder, after all of this is over and you have plunked down $1040 you will have a set of 48 cards you can put into Binder #17.

I don't think so because as Neil stated the cards will have the puzzle on the other side so it would break up the puzzle.

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!
« Reply #130 on: May 08, 2013, 01:06:53 PM »
I just ordered my set.  Kinda pricey, but apparently you do get 4 sketch cards with the 4 binders, so that adds quite a bit of value.  Hopefully these sketches will be more on the high end in terms of the quality we've seen in recent releases.  I did not see anything about a "subscription" though...

Offline tearawayface

« Reply #131 on: May 08, 2013, 01:09:04 PM »
Well then in your binder you could include:

1 9 piece Puzzle
45 other bonus cards
8 other artist Bio cards

This would make a 62 card set that would include each unique card excluding sketch and certificate variants.

Offline Kook

« Reply #132 on: May 08, 2013, 01:22:45 PM »
Hopefully these sketches will be more on the high end in terms of the quality we've seen in recent releases.

Totally agree! Also hope the sketches correlate to original series characters in the sets the binders are for.

Considering the releases are spaced a couple of months apart, and compared to an old school release in the order of 5000 this is much smaller at 600, hopefully it will make it easier on the artists by not having to rush for a major release all at once and have the sketch quality suffer. I'd much rather pay for quality than quantity.

When you compare the binders to an old school release, you get 24 packs + a sketch card for about $50. Here, you're getting a binder + sketch + some other bonus cards for $60. Not that much different value wise. The only difference being, you can buy 2 or 3 olds boxes & be done with the series. Here, you're kinda roped into buying 16. If the product is top notch, you'll long forget about the price after you're enjoying the artwork.

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!
« Reply #133 on: May 08, 2013, 02:37:30 PM »
I just noticed that the description says the binder covers are made of a "retro cloth style material."  I'm not quite sure what that would be like, but perhaps it's a higher-end process than a standard plastic binder.  Should make them more unique...

Offline drono

« Reply #134 on: May 08, 2013, 02:50:55 PM »
I have to agree about the price.  I bought a set just to see what they'll be like.  I've been collecting Wackys since 1973.  I used to go to the shows in Philly and Parsippany (forgive me Ernie if I misspelled it), and I've probably traded with many of you on the forum.  I stopped attending the shows after my kids about 5 years old, but I kept buying ANS and OS up through ANS9.  I have yet to buy anything ANS10.  The prices are just too high to keep it up for something that I enjoyed as a kid, but now they just sit in a closet in my office.  I've got a couple of uncut sheets on my wall, but the rest of it is just collecting dust these days.  I used to collect baseball cards too, but I saw where greed from Topps and the other manufacturers ruined that hobby in the early '90s.  It's sad to see that Topps is apparently doing it again with a great product.  The kids can't afford 'em anymore.  When we were kids and the packs were 5 cents, we could save our allowance, ride our bikes up to the store, and hopefully collect the entire series before the next one came out.  Our kids won't ever get to experience those days.  Topps, you're just one generation before shooting yourself.  When the kids don't participate in the hobby anymore, they don't grow up to get their kids involved.  It's sad.

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #135 on: May 08, 2013, 03:02:35 PM »
They are kind of expensive I grant you that but Topps generally puts out a nice product. 

KIND OF expensive? 

Dude, do you have a money printer in your basement?  You buy up cases of ans10 collector boxes as if they were loaves of bread.

I'm trying to justify to myself buying a single box of the ans10 collector series... 
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #136 on: May 08, 2013, 03:04:23 PM »
I just noticed that the description says the binder covers are made of a "retro cloth style material."  I'm not quite sure what that would be like, but perhaps it's a higher-end process than a standard plastic binder.  Should make them more unique...

Neil said they wouldn't be vinyl. That news gets me more excited now. I think if collectors miss out on these they will be disappointed. They are going to be really nice!

• Administrator
« Reply #137 on: May 08, 2013, 03:06:27 PM »
I just noticed that the description says the binder covers are made of a "retro cloth style material."  I'm not quite sure what that would be like, but perhaps it's a higher-end process than a standard plastic binder.  Should make them more unique...
we have some really old binders like that still being used around the office. all of them are a thin blue denim-like cloth adhered to board.
it would be entertaining to hear how these are made. is the art printed on the cloth which is then glued to the boards? printed afterwards somehow?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #138 on: May 08, 2013, 03:11:09 PM »
KIND OF expensive? 

Dude, do you have a money printer in your basement?  You buy up cases of ans10 collector boxes as if they were loaves of bread.

I'm trying to justify to myself buying a single box of the ans10 collector series... 

No, I have a money printer right here on my desk...LOL
I do have some money invested (spent) on ANS10. I went a little crazy on sketches. I don't think I've made it a mystery. I have sold a ton of ANS10 stuff in the first 3-4 weeks. We are talking $1000's of $$. I sold off all my plates, artist auto's, ludlows, & extra lost and bonus stuff. I've only retained all the variations of Reepers. After most of the dust has cleared I think I ended up spending around $1200 on ANS10 and all of that has to do with buying sketches on ebay.
Why not buy 2 sets of binders? Sell one set and use the profit to pay for your keeper set? It's not rocket science and with only 150 made I'm sure you will see the value of these go up quite a bit. I've been wrong before though... :] :]

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #139 on: May 08, 2013, 03:20:04 PM »
Why not buy 2 sets of binders? Sell one set and use the profit to pay for your keeper set? It's not rocket science and with only 150 made I'm sure you will see the value of these go up quite a bit. I've been wrong before though... :] :]

Two sets of binders will run me $2,235 with tax, assuming the postage is free.  Who's going to pay me that to cover my keeper set?

anything