Author Topic: Flashback Series 2 Motion Cards  (Read 7968 times)

Offline MarkF

Flashback Series 2 Motion Cards
« on: May 05, 2010, 06:12:29 PM »
Hello all. Love the forum. I'm new and have spent time reading for the past few days.

I have a question about the Flashback Series 2 motion cards...

What do you think of them? Quality, animation, etc? Any you find particularly good or on the other hand bad?

I have all of the Series 1 lenticulars and they're very much a mixed bag. Slaytex and Progreaso are my favorites but mostly they seem to be sloppily designed and the animation is just not effective. In general someone did a bad job applying the lenticular technology, it seems to me.

I'm curious what you think about series 2 before I buy them up -  though I already own Killy Putty which is just great. It looks like they fixed most of the problems of the first series motion cards and whoever designed them (at least in the case of Killy Putty) seems to have gotten the flow of the animation a little better.

I'm not a completist and didn't want to spend too much finding all of the motion cards. Just wondering if any should be priority? Of course if I can get a good deal on the full set I'd go for it.

Any advice? Thanks for any help. Great forum!!

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
Re: Flashback Series 2 Motion Cards
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 06:17:37 PM »
Hello all. Love the forum. I'm new and have spent time reading for the past few days.

I have a question about the Flashback Series 2 motion cards...

What do you think of them? Quality, animation, etc? Any you find particularly good or on the other hand bad?

I have all of the Series 1 lenticulars and they're very much a mixed bag. Slaytex and Progreaso are my favorites but mostly they seem to be sloppily designed and the animation is just not effective. In general someone did a bad job applying the lenticular technology, it seems to me.

I'm curious what you think about series 2 before I buy them up -  though I already own Killy Putty which is just great. It looks like they fixed most of the problems of the first series motion cards and whoever designed them (at least in the case of Killy Putty) seems to have gotten the flow of the animation a little better.

I'm not a completist and didn't want to spend too much finding all of the motion cards. Just wondering if any should be priority? Of course if I can get a good deal on the full set I'd go for it.

Any advice? Thanks for any help. Great forum!!

I have videos posted on YouTube of all the flashback lenticular cards.  You can check them out here:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ncbratzlers+flashback&aq=f
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 06:38:39 PM »
Hi Mark,

Having designed the lenticulars, I'd like to offer this: the imperfections you see in the first series are due more in part to production than animation. Most of the 1st series were intended to have an extra frame, but because of manufacturing limitations, we picked fewer key frames to best illustrate the sequence.  So the challenge was animating with 3 or 4 frames, action that would really be best with 5 or 6.

That being said, I still think the 1st series was well done, but overall, the second series is more fluid, and the production quality is considerably better.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 06:40:53 PM by koduck »

Offline MarkF

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 06:47:10 PM »
First, thanks BustedFinger for the videos. Didn't think to look on YouTube.

Koduck - sorry, I didn't mean to disaparage the actual design. Having looked at tons of lenticular items it is clear that there's something about the production that is not quite right (imperfections aside). That said, the videos of series 2 look amazing. I've never gotten over how good Killy Putty is. I've seen some great lentcular items - particularly out of Disney - and its right up there with the best.

So I think I'll complete the set. Thanks for the feedback.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 07:44:29 PM »
First, thanks BustedFinger for the videos. Didn't think to look on YouTube.

Koduck - sorry, I didn't mean to disaparage the actual design. Having looked at tons of lenticular items it is clear that there's something about the production that is not quite right (imperfections aside). That said, the videos of series 2 look amazing. I've never gotten over how good Killy Putty is. I've seen some great lentcular items - particularly out of Disney - and its right up there with the best.

So I think I'll complete the set. Thanks for the feedback.
[/quote

Hey Mark, Good luck completing the FB 2 lent set, I like ser 2 better than 1.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 04:09:08 AM »
Welcome to the forum Mark!

The Flashback 2 motion cards are definitely worth completing!!

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 09:13:20 AM »
I think most would agree that the motion cards are the favorite of all insert sets from the current ANS/Flashback era.  Probably the magnets held that distinction until the motions came along in FB I & II.

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 05:14:32 PM »
Lenticular motion cards rule!
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 05:18:24 PM »
Lenticular motion cards rule!
Absoloutly! They're the BEST "WACKYS" ever!!! :o
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

Taz

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 05:20:10 PM »
Absoloutly! They're the BEST "WACKYS" ever!!! :o

Nope...the best wackys ever are the original series that mom never threw out!

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 07:21:06 AM »
The series 2 lenticulars are much much better. I think the images are a little clearer and they came out mostly in perfect shape. The 1st series was on much thicker stock which resulted in many of them having wrinkle marks on the back, and the lenticular process on the front was a total disaster. Something like 35% of them had fallout spots where the paper did not adhere to the plastic making it look like little empty spaces under the plastic. Between the wrinkles and the spots nearly 50% have a problem. The series 2 cards had none of that.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 12:31:32 PM »
The series 2 lenticulars are much much better. I think the images are a little clearer and they came out mostly in perfect shape. The 1st series was on much thicker stock which resulted in many of them having wrinkle marks on the back, and the lenticular process on the front was a total disaster. Something like 35% of them had fallout spots where the paper did not adhere to the plastic making it look like little empty spaces under the plastic. Between the wrinkles and the spots nearly 50% have a problem. The series 2 cards had none of that.

Should a NM set of series 1 Lents (w/o any factory blemishes) be worth more than series 2?  If a series 2 set is worth $25.00 than a non-defect series 1 set should be at least $35.00 I would think, no?
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 01:29:30 PM »
Should a NM set of series 1 Lents (w/o any factory blemishes) be worth more than series 2?  If a series 2 set is worth $25.00 than a non-defect series 1 set should be at least $35.00 I would think, no?
Wasn't it only 2 per box with series 1 and 4 per box with series 2? I can't remember now.

Offline MarkF

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 02:27:51 PM »
2 per box on Series 2 unless I got ripped off.

Offline MarkF

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 02:38:08 PM »

On eBay Series 1 sets, verified as having no blemishes have been listed at $20-25. Not sure if they sell too fast at that price. Of course there are a bunch of sets listed at $25 with no information about blemishes.

Series 2 sells for $20-25 as well so I don't see much difference in the price. I guess if someone wants guaranteed, blemish free cards they'll pay extra. I got my set very cheap with 5 clean cards and 5 with blemishes. It's not that bothersome to me. My favorites are all very nice.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 03:10:55 PM »
2 per box on Series 2 unless I got ripped off.

Your right. I just looked it up. I wonder why I had the price so high in Wacky-Base? I bet it's because I got the update done as quickly as I could and at the time the sets were selling for $120 on ebay because it would take you at least 5 boxes just to put together a set and most of the time it would take you at least 8 boxes to actually make a set. $25 is a steal for how much money you had to spend to make a set.
This also bugs me about the silver sets. This set should never be below $500. It would take you at least 36 boxes to get 72 cards. There is no way you made a set after 36 boxes. Even if you bought the boxes at $40 each and got a set in 36 packs it would cost you $1440 just for the boxes. If you only bought boxes and didn't trade it would probably cost you about $2K in boxes just to put a set together. Now I see people selling them for $100 and it just makes me cringe. >:D

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 04:23:48 PM »
Your right. I just looked it up. I wonder why I had the price so high in Wacky-Base? I bet it's because I got the update done as quickly as I could and at the time the sets were selling for $120 on ebay because it would take you at least 5 boxes just to put together a set and most of the time it would take you at least 8 boxes to actually make a set. $25 is a steal for how much money you had to spend to make a set.
This also bugs me about the silver sets. This set should never be below $500. It would take you at least 36 boxes to get 72 cards. There is no way you made a set after 36 boxes. Even if you bought the boxes at $40 each and got a set in 36 packs it would cost you $1440 just for the boxes. If you only bought boxes and didn't trade it would probably cost you about $2K in boxes just to put a set together. Now I see people selling them for $100 and it just makes me cringe. >:D

Brad, we should compare prices at some point because I have prices incorporated in my checklists.  Having discussions about ones we vary on might help us fine-tune them to be more accurate.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2010, 06:47:57 PM »
I think people gave up on trying to complete them. So no demand, price drops. Hate to say it, but just like Slayskool said a while ago. I personally thought that there would of been more of a demand for collectors to try and complete (at least) the Silver sets especially when there was a lull in newer Wacky stuff coming out. It just seems like no one cared to complete the silvers anymore.

I was fortunate when I started right from the jump on FB 2 Silvers. It was easy at 1st to trade for the ones I needed. It took me a lot longer to complete the FB1 Silvers since I initially wasn't even trying to complete them. But after a while I traded quite a bit and posted quite a bit and I still ended up buying my last needed FB 1 Silvers from Ted & Jeffrey's E-bay Store, but only after no one was replying to any of the trade lists I was posting.

BTW, I still have some FB1 & FB2 Silvers I can trade.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2010, 06:56:12 PM »
Wow, didn't realize I got off topic there. About the lenticulars.

I like the thicker stock FB 1 lents but those air bubbles were driving me crazy. The FB 2 lents were very consistant. I noticed slight differences with each card. When you check out your dups, if you start you viewing angle at the same spot, the scene is usually in a different spot. For example, on say a Bustedfinger. You can check out where - at what angle the 1st scene is: the normal Bustedfinger with no finger coming out (unbusted)! :D Then don't move your head and put in a duplicate Bustedfinger where you just viewed your first one. Most cases you are viewing a different moment in the time lapse sequence and not the 1st scene. I guess it would be pretty hard manufacturing wise to make them all exact.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World