Author Topic: 2013 Spring Allentown (Philly) show on May 4th and 5th  (Read 56162 times)

Offline Swiski

RE: 2013 Spring Allentown (Philly) show on May 4th and 5th
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2013, 02:35:28 PM »
Any news of a promo card or postcard at the show? I can't go, so I'm hoping someone here can acquire some for the forum. If not...hello eBay!

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2013, 04:37:10 PM »
I just sent her an email about it so I'll let you know what she says.  I asked her about whether Topps will be at the show, and if so, who it will be. 

I also asked her about the snack bar/tables dilemma we've had the past few years.  Hopefully she'll have some thoughts on how to remedy the situation to keep everyone happy.   
Thanks, Rob!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2013, 07:23:07 AM »
Thanks, Rob!

UPDATE...........

Roxanne said that Topps Vault will not be at the show, but there will be someone from Topps promoting an exclusive Star Wars card.  Doesn't sound like any Wacky items at this show, unless they are putting something inside the admission kits.

As far as the snack bar seating goes, she understands the issue and said that she's tried to work something out with the mall owner about it but hasn't got any cooperation.  She is also sensitive to us using all of the food tables and having patrons complain that they don't have anywhere to sit and eat.    

But she said she had another idea for us and she would get back to me about it before the show.  Maybe she'll find space inside the dealer area or something.  There is open space at the opposite end of the hallway, but it's pretty far away from the action and I'm not sure it would get used.  Hopefully she'll come up with something.  

This may end up being a "can of worms" scenario, because if she isn't able to find a solution, I definitely won't be comfortable sitting at the snack bar tables going forward, even if I'm chewing food the whole time!

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Stingline

« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2013, 05:53:23 AM »
What is the Wacky landscape like at this show? I have been to some sports card shows, but there's usually just a scattering of guys with a few binders of non-sports cards and, if I'm lucky, they might have a few Wackys. I have much higher hopes for this show, but I don't want to get too geeked and be disappointed. At this point in my collecting I am not looking for anything too exotic, still filling OS holes and looking for upgrades. I need to complete about half my 16th series still and there's holes in almost every other series. Are the tables the big draw or is it more about the side deals with fellow collectors? I'm not sure whether to bring my box of "seconds" along.

Offline Kook

« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2013, 05:54:26 AM »
UPDATE...........

Roxanne said that Topps Vault will not be at the show, but there will be someone from Topps promoting an exclusive Star Wars card.  Doesn't sound like any Wacky items at this show, unless they are putting something inside the admission kits.

That's strange. I don't recall ever going to a show where there was no Topps booth. I've been going for the last 2 or 3 years.

Offline Kook

« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2013, 06:02:32 AM »
What is the Wacky landscape like at this show? I have been to some sports card shows, but there's usually just a scattering of guys with a few binders of non-sports cards and, if I'm lucky, they might have a few Wackys. I have much higher hopes for this show, but I don't want to get too geeked and be disappointed. At this point in my collecting I am not looking for anything too exotic, still filling OS holes and looking for upgrades. I need to complete about half my 16th series still and there's holes in almost every other series. Are the tables the big draw or is it more about the side deals with fellow collectors? I'm not sure whether to bring my box of "seconds" along.

I remember when I first went, I was expecting something totally different - a lot more wackys. Many (10 to 15) dealers have some wackys. Wackys are far from the show's focus. What you find will be totally random. You may find a rare item at one of the dealers, but it's not like you can pull out a wants list & start ticking items off. It's more like doing a lot of digging & you might find something that interests you. There are a lot of average condition common stickers. Many dealers also charge prices that are a lot higher than ebay, but you can find some deals. I picked up a nice oddie boy at the last show for $1 lumped in with a lot of other stickers. If you are looking to plug holes in a 1st to 15th set, you've got a good chance of knocking a decent number of titles out if you aren't super picky about condition.

Clearly, the value I find in the show is meeting the people from the forum and in trading with them outside the show. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't waste my time with the show, and would be totally happy with spending $20 to $30 for a show promo. It would save me about 1/2 tank of gas and most of the day.

Might be a good idea for people who are going to post wants lists in the thread, & others who are going can get ideas of what to bring if they have something someone else is looking for.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 06:04:47 AM by Kook »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2013, 06:03:04 AM »

There are certainly dealers with wackys. I would say finding anyone with a selection of 16ths would be unlikely, but normal original series stuff in decent shape is available.

Definitely there's always been a greater selection of wackys from fellow collectors, but that depends heavily on who's attending. Ernie doesn't really bring his stuff to shows anymore I don't think. If Matt Stock is coming, he often brings tons of stuff, literally boxes and boxes of original series stuff, and he probably has 16ths.

At this point I'm not sure who is coming that would be bringing lots of wackys.

Offline Kook

« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2013, 06:07:02 AM »
There are certainly dealers with wackys. I would say finding anyone with a selection of 16ths would be unlikely, but normal original series stuff in decent shape is available.

Definitely there's always been a greater selection of wackys from fellow collectors, but that depends heavily on who's attending. Ernie doesn't really bring his stuff to shows anymore I don't think. If Matt Stock is coming, he often brings tons of stuff, literally boxes and boxes of original series stuff, and he probably has 16ths.

Yes, Greg & Matt have both brought large amounts of os singles lately. Matt did have a lot of 16ths last time. If you have specific items in mind, it would definitely be worth e-mailing them to see if they are going & to make requests in advance.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2013, 06:30:56 AM »
That's strange. I don't recall ever going to a show where there was no Topps booth. I've been going for the last 2 or 3 years.

Same here..is it really worth it to go?? no many deals to be had...only "some" dealers actually have wacky's... :sad:

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2013, 07:19:33 AM »
Same here..is it really worth it to go?? no many deals to be had...only "some" dealers actually have wacky's... :sad:

I personally could not care less whether Topps has a booth at the Allentown show. Is that really a primary reason for going?

Offline Kook

« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2013, 07:39:22 AM »
I personally could not care less whether Topps has a booth at the Allentown show. Is that really a primary reason for going?

I wouldn't say it's a reason for going or not. I just found it noteworthy because they always seem to be there. They usually do have some type of promo or new item, and there's no shipping involved, but it's by no means a deal maker/breaker.

I thought they might have continued their funpak promo [they actually had a funpak promo at the last show], or released their ans10 binders at the show, but maybe they ran out of extra sketches or have nothing going on now.

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2013, 11:01:01 AM »

If your looking for new stuff yes..including new binders, sketches,. etc...(I.E. Jeff Z. doing free sketches for my daughter..meeting artists...etc)

but for OS stuff its the dealers, meeting other Forum Dudes and maybe trying to buy OS stuff and working Matt Stock down on price...my 2c

AND the PROMO packs off course..esp with Wacky's in them... :great: :great:

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2013, 11:48:59 AM »
Is there any way you can combine the two?

That would require effort.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2013, 12:12:57 PM »
That would require effort.

Effort is a state of mind

(My attempt to create a Yoda-like expression)

I hope I didn’t offend anyone. Glad our new global moderator didn’t kick me out for that

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2013, 03:52:42 PM »

I do like when Topps has a table at the show, but that's not enough to be a deciding factor for going.  Right now, I'm looking at a schedule conflict.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 03:54:22 PM by RawGoo »

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #85 on: April 23, 2013, 04:15:44 PM »

It's not my primary reason but I do like it when they are there, especially the past couple shows because they've had special cards, funpack skecthes, postcard sets, etc., which adds to the excitement factor.  It just takes away one element from the show for me. 

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #86 on: April 23, 2013, 04:17:41 PM »
It's not my primary reason but I do like it when they are there, especially the past couple shows because they've had special cards, funpack skecthes, postcard sets, etc., which adds to the excitement factor.  It just takes away one element from the show for me. 

NEW UPDATE:    I'll post Roxanne's words here from her email, and then I told her I would get other's comments from the forum and get back to her tomorrow, so please let me know what you think...............

Hi Rob,

O.K., here’s what I came up with. We can set-up two tables inside the showroom for Saturday only (we’ll be using these tables for the 501st Star Wars Legion on Sunday). I figure we can put eight chairs around the two tables (tables will be in the front part of the room and we will set-up the eight chairs).

Here are the conditions: You must be seated at all times which means only as many people as chairs can be there at the same time. No shouting or disturbing table holders. You will not use the tables by the café. Please let me know as soon as you can if this will be ok.

Roxanne

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #87 on: April 23, 2013, 04:55:22 PM »

I've talked to Matt and he says he is going. 

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2013, 04:55:40 PM »
I would love to go but I will be getting back from Memphis Friday night. I don't need anything in particular or to trade but it would be good to meet everyone. The last time I went was 2005. Maybe next spring.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2013, 04:58:56 PM »
NEW UPDATE:    I'll post Roxanne's words here from her email, and then I told her I would get other's comments from the forum and get back to her tomorrow, so please let me know what you think...............

Hi Rob,

O.K., here’s what I came up with. We can set-up two tables inside the showroom for Saturday only (we’ll be using these tables for the 501st Star Wars Legion on Sunday). I figure we can put eight chairs around the two tables (tables will be in the front part of the room and we will set-up the eight chairs).

Here are the conditions: You must be seated at all times which means only as many people as chairs can be there at the same time. No shouting or disturbing table holders. You will not use the tables by the café. Please let me know as soon as you can if this will be ok.

Roxanne

You know the not standing around the table will go out the window once someone sees a bunch of Wacky's that they need.

Offline Campy

• work in progress
« Reply #90 on: April 23, 2013, 05:43:39 PM »
I think it will be hard to stop wacky collectors from standing around a table full of wacky's if all the chairs are full. My 2 cents :^)

Offline Kook

« Reply #91 on: April 23, 2013, 07:27:45 PM »
You know the not standing around the table will go out the window once someone sees a bunch of Wacky's that they need.

I agree with this assessment. I think if they could up it to 12 chairs, it would probably be better because I would estimate there are usually around 10 people hanging out at the lunch tables at any given time. I don't recall anyone shouting or making any kind of ruckus, so I don't know where Roxanne's concern for that came from???

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #92 on: April 24, 2013, 01:36:07 PM »
I've been a member here for 3yrs now,  a few of you are on Facebook with me and I know you by picture, however when I go to the Philly show how will I know who is who.  Does anyone have an idea we could use?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #93 on: April 24, 2013, 03:19:07 PM »
I think it will be hard to stop wacky collectors from standing around a table full of wacky's if all the chairs are full. My 2 cents :^)

I agree that there will be some "coming and going".  It's hard for us to feel like we are confined to the tables when we've had the freedom to come and go as we want.  If there's a group of us hanging at the tables in the dealer area that Roxanne's works out for us, other collectors will be coming over to chat, and who who "police" that?  I think I have to let her know what we would expect, and if she's open to it we can try it for a show to see how it goes.

The problem I'm foreseeing is that if the tables in the dealer area doesn't work out we're going to be in a stricter scenario going forward, because she's made it clear that the tables near the snack bar are for eating only.  I know I definitely won't be comfortable hanging out there after having the conversation with Roxanne.     

To be honest without Topps Vault being there and the ability to hang out at the tables, I would probably skip the show.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #94 on: April 24, 2013, 04:55:46 PM »
I agree with this. I also agree with Kook that 8 will be a bit restrictive, at least at times. I definitely appreciate Roxanne's offer to do this, though. Not having the cafe option available, esp. if the given tables fill, would suck exceptionally. I guess the BYOTAC (Bring Your Own Table And Chairs) option is off the table, eh?

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #95 on: April 24, 2013, 05:02:08 PM »
I don't recall anyone shouting or making any kind of ruckus, so I don't know where Roxanne's concern for that came from???
Maybe you missed those shows, LOL.

Mainly, I suspect she's just laying the rules out there. I can understand that she doesn't want any "scenes" in the same room as most of the guests and dealers. A very reasonable request, in my book: You'll go to your room without your Wackys, if you don't behave.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #96 on: April 24, 2013, 08:44:44 PM »
Why don't you guys go to a hotel someone is staying at after the show?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #97 on: April 25, 2013, 06:26:37 AM »
Why don't you guys go to a hotel someone is staying at after the show?

Because not all of us can stay after the show. This is poor organization, this venue is huge, there's no reason a
larger area couldn't be set aside for these purposes. It can only benefit the store fronts in the mall to have
people hanging out inside the building.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #98 on: April 25, 2013, 06:31:40 AM »
Because not all of us can stay after the show. This is poor organization, this venue is huge, there's no reason a
larger area couldn't be set aside for these purposes. It can only benefit the store fronts in the mall to have
people hanging out inside the building.

Not only that but to me it's a lot more fun to hang at the show than to be at a location outside the show.  You also end up meeting new people because everyone walks by the "old" location by the concession area. 

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2013, 08:16:13 AM »
Sounds to me like they are heavily focused on the problem (misusing the cafeteria) instead of a solution. Seems really odd.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2013, 08:54:51 AM »
Ok, it sounds like we have a solution to the issue, although it's only temporary.  This is from Roxanne............

Hi Rob,

I know there would be coming and going from the table which is fine. You should just try to limit the people at the tables to those there are enough chairs for. I don’t want standing around and crowding the aisles which would make it hard for collectors to get to the neighboring tables. A couple of people standing there would be ok.

I have to send in the table layout so I’m assigning these two tables for you guys. When you enter the room, the tables will be to the right in the front corner. It just so happens there were a couple of cancellations so I am able to do this but it will probably be a one-time thing. Don’t forget, it’s only for Saturday—the day most of you come anyway.

Roxanne

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2013, 09:02:52 AM »
Ok, it sounds like we have a solution to the issue, although it's only temporary.  This is from Roxanne............

Hi Rob,

I know there would be coming and going from the table which is fine. You should just try to limit the people at the tables to those there are enough chairs for. I don’t want standing around and crowding the aisles which would make it hard for collectors to get to the neighboring tables. A couple of people standing there would be ok.

I have to send in the table layout so I’m assigning these two tables for you guys. When you enter the room, the tables will be to the right in the front corner. It just so happens there were a couple of cancellations so I am able to do this but it will probably be a one-time thing. Don’t forget, it’s only for Saturday—the day most of you come anyway.

Roxanne

Notice how she said "you", like wacky collectors are a specific breed!!!I am sitting at the cafeteria table...i like to eat and trade wacky's!!! :] :] :]

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #102 on: April 25, 2013, 09:20:53 AM »
Notice how she said "you", like wacky collectors are a specific breed!!!I am sitting at the cafeteria table...i like to eat and trade wacky's!!!

I'm telling Roxanne to make sure your admission kit is missing the Wacky promo!  

They are also timing the patrons eating habits for this show.  If you are sitting at the snack bar tables and go longer than 60 seconds without chewing or sipping your straw, alarms will start to go off!    

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #103 on: April 25, 2013, 09:53:51 AM »
Notice how she said "you", like wacky collectors are a specific breed!!!

But we are, right?

OK, more accurately, a bunch of inbred Pedigree Chump twits, with gum stains and a few dinged corners

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #104 on: April 25, 2013, 06:35:51 PM »
Don't we also have a bit of space at George Wright's table, too? I bet George wouldn't mind having a couple folks gather 'round his space to do some dealin'...this at least gives us a little more "elbow room".