Author Topic: 2013 Spring Allentown (Philly) show on May 4th and 5th  (Read 56095 times)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
RE: 2013 Spring Allentown (Philly) show on May 4th and 5th
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2013, 11:48:44 AM »
It would be great if there were seats others than the cafeteria ones to sit at.  You are right if Roxanne could speak to mall management first that would be helpful. I don't feel comfortable taking the cafeteria seats which is why I usually leave so quickly.

There is that area around the corner from the cafeteria, but it may be a fire marshal issue.

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2013, 12:02:01 PM »
There is that area around the corner from the cafeteria, but it may be a fire marshal issue.

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2013, 12:39:59 PM »
I seem to remember a philly show about 4 years ago. It was the show that Dave Gross was showing some people some of the old school wackys art about a year or so before old school 1 was released. A whole bunch of us wacky collectors were in this big room with many tables. Then in years after that we were forced to sit at tables in the hall right outside of the showroom. Whatever happened to that big room? I remember many empty tables there. Was that at a different venue? My memory for details like this is not good.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2013, 03:21:46 PM »
A whole bunch of us wacky collectors were in this big room with many tables. Whatever happened to that big room? I remember many empty tables there. Was that at a different venue?
No, it was there. If you are standing at the eatery ordering, it was just to the right and I think was part of the eatery's space. I recall sitting in there and eating once. It's still there, but I believe is not available for seating anymore. Think they use it for other purposes or something...

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2013, 04:32:02 PM »
No, it was there. If you are standing at the eatery ordering, it was just to the right and I think was part of the eatery's space. I recall sitting in there and eating once. It's still there, but I believe is not available for seating anymore. Think they use it for other purposes or something...

Ok that makes sense. That's just where I remember it being but for the life of me I don't know why it's been closed the last 5 or 6 shows. They really ought to open it up when there are big conventions in the mall. I guess this minimizes the feel bad for shorting their table space feeling if the mall or Roxanne aren't on board with us setting up trading tables. I am trying to be optimistic but it's certainly not a given that they will allow our ideas.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2013, 08:54:25 PM »
I look forward to meeting you (and others from here) as well.
I was toying with the idea of starting to buy complete set of the o.w.p. 1-16 until I saw the cost of series 16 (wow!!!$$$).  but while I love wackys , Mad was my original love and I have decided to start rebuilding my collection (300 by 88, that I stupidly sold to party). so im hoping I can find some there (otherwise it will be the madstore.com). otherwise I will hopefully fill some ans, 85 and 91 holes.

I will be wearing my NJ Devils jersey , cant wait.

Sorry to say, Can't help you fill in any holes from either the "85" or "91" series, But if you need any help with ans, Then I'm your go-to-guy.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2013, 08:53:41 AM »
Ok that makes sense. That's just where I remember it being but for the life of me I don't know why it's been closed the last 5 or 6 shows. They really ought to open it up when there are big conventions in the mall. I guess this minimizes the feel bad for shorting their table space feeling if the mall or Roxanne aren't on board with us setting up trading tables. I am trying to be optimistic but it's certainly not a given that they will allow our ideas.
I remember a room upstairs that was used for giving away some anniversary stuff but I don't remember a room near the eatery.  I do remember seeing all of Dave's art for this old school series idea, that was very cool.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2013, 09:14:38 AM »
I remember a room upstairs that was used for giving away some anniversary stuff but I don't remember a room near the eatery.  I do remember seeing all of Dave's art for this old school series idea, that was very cool.

I remember you, me, Greg (3 people with the same birthday) and one or 2 other people standing there looking at Dave's art. I remember being particularly struck by how cool Bark was. It was in that big room next to the food place, I am fairly sure of that now.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2013, 10:43:31 AM »
The room John is talking about is behind the eatery, it's part of the eatery. It used to be a bunch of tables for people to sit and eat at, but there were enough that we could use them without it monopolizing the whole place. It still sucked because there was grease and food all over the place, but it was at least roomier.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2013, 07:31:50 PM »
I remember you, me, Greg (3 people with the same birthday) and one or 2 other people standing there looking at Dave's art. I remember being particularly struck by how cool Bark was. It was in that big room next to the food place, I am fairly sure of that now.

The 3 of you have the same birthday, that's cool!

What are the odds of that? Somehow I think 1/365 to the third power is wrong. Isn't this a common (tricky) question on a Probability 101 test ...

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2013, 07:39:37 PM »
The 3 of you have the same birthday, that's cool!

What are the odds of that? Somehow I think 1/365 to the third power is wrong. Isn't this a common (tricky) question on a Probability 101 test ...

I think the odds of any 3 random people having the same birthday is 365.25 squared. There are lots of 3 random people in the wacky community, so that isn't the answer you are looking for.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2013, 07:45:59 PM »
I think the odds of any 3 random people having the same birthday is 365.25 squared. There are lots of 3 random people in the wacky community, so that isn't the answer you are looking for.

But 3 friends standing around looking at Dave's art are not just 3 random people in the wacky community

I don't mean to argue   ;D

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2013, 08:15:37 PM »
But 3 friends standing around looking at Dave's art are not just 3 random people in the wacky community

I don't mean to argue   ;D

I know, but there were 1 or 2 other people standing there too. I have no idea how to mathematically figure them in :)

Offline bandaches

« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2013, 09:18:23 AM »
I believe you are correct
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2013, 09:32:44 AM »
I believe you are correct

Yes, that makes sense, since it could be any day of the year.

I believe it would be 365 cubed if you asked what are the odds of the three of you having a particular day, such as April 1st, National WP Day, as your birthdays

Offline bandaches

« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2013, 02:21:28 PM »
Yes, that makes sense, since it could be any day of the year.

I believe it would be 365 cubed if you asked what are the odds of the three of you having a particular day, such as April 1st, National WP Day, as your birthdays
You are also correct. 

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2013, 03:52:08 PM »
You are also correct. 
So what are the odds of the three being born on Feb 29th?  :P
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline bandaches

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2013, 09:05:59 PM »
So what are the odds of the three being born on Feb 29th?  :P
3 billion to 1?

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2013, 09:41:44 AM »
3 billion to 1?

Even less if we're talking consecutive years. ;)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2013, 04:23:20 AM »
Has anyone heard from Topps about what they'll have at the show?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2013, 09:25:19 AM »
Has anyone heard from Topps about what they'll have at the show?

I haven't heard anything confirming that they will even be at the show.  I hope they will because it would seem empty without their tables set-up.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2013, 04:15:48 PM »
just seen the wayne (nj) collectibles flea market is on the 5th, so between the card show on the 4th and the toy market on the 5th, im gonna be broke . and startin the rebuilding of the mad collection , $60 a year for the 70's to start. im going to collect up to 2001 when they turned commercial and then start going backwards in to 60's, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :-[

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2013, 04:20:45 PM »
just seen the wayne (nj) collectibles flea market is on the 5th, so between the card show on the 4th and the toy market on the 5th, im gonna be broke . and startin the rebuilding of the mad collection , $60 a year for the 70's to start. im going to collect up to 2001 when they turned commercial and then start going backwards in to 60's, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :-[

What kind of toys?  You might not even get out of the Allentown show with any money left to spend on the 5th.......

« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2013, 04:28:25 PM »
What kind of toys?  You might not even get out of the Allentown show with any money left to spend on the 5th.......
don't exactly know what kind of toys, it looked like a mix of recent and old. I seen it on the "toyhunter" show( which I think is great and he's from jersey and his shop is here in jersey too).  I'm always looking for stuff to do with the kid and you never know what you'll find.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2013, 06:09:49 PM »
don't exactly know what kind of toys, it looked like a mix of recent and old. I seen it on the "toyhunter" show( which I think is great and he's from jersey and his shop is here in jersey too).  I'm always looking for stuff to do with the kid and you never know what you'll find.

I meant, what kinds of toys are you interested in?  I have a ridiculous amount of sci-fi toys, and some other TV/movie/comic related stuff.  Lots of Batman, Star Trek, Star Wars, Simpsons, etc.  I've cut back to almost nothing new, but there have been some Mego style figures the last few years that I haven't been able to pass up.

« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2013, 03:10:04 AM »
I meant, what kinds of toys are you interested in?  I have a ridiculous amount of sci-fi toys, and some other TV/movie/comic related stuff.  Lots of Batman, Star Trek, Star Wars, Simpsons, etc.  I've cut back to almost nothing new, but there have been some Mego style figures the last few years that I haven't been able to pass up.
Im personally not really into collecting toys for myself, its for the boy.
he loves tmnt (we collected the ENTIRE 2k3 line) so were on the hunt for the new wave that is making its way into stores now. he liked legos for a while and gijoe when the 1st movie came out a few years ago. he was never really a toy kid. he followed in his fathers footsteps and is more of a technology kid(gaming since 1 1/2)
when I was a kid I was all about gijoe and voltron (besides mad and wackys of course).
we talked about the toy market and probably aren't going only because we aren't on the hunt for anything older that's not currently in stores. besides, wayne is a hike from were we live.

« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2013, 06:54:20 AM »

he loves tmnt (we collected the ENTIRE 2k3 line) so were on the hunt for the new wave that is making its way into stores now.

yes im quoting myself,

found the new wave of turtles this morning ! :great:
the boy will be happy.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2013, 11:15:11 AM »
Im personally not really into collecting toys for myself, its for the boy.

It's ok to admit you collect toys.  We all collect kids stickers here so it's all good! 

(Just messing with you course)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2013, 11:38:15 AM »
It's ok to admit you collect toys.  We all collect kids stickers here so it's all good! 

Toy collecting is as bad as card collecting, but it takes up more space........  Imagine my torture when action figures started coming out with special trading cards in the packaging!! 

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2013, 11:45:33 AM »
Toy collecting is as bad as card collecting, but it takes up more space........  Imagine my torture when action figures started coming out with special trading cards in the packaging!! 

Besides WP (and other parody card items), I also collect Dinosaur trading cards. Kenner came out with a line of JURASSIC PARK toys with trading cards in them. Althought the cards certainly aren't rare... many people want to sell them for about 90% of what the toy cost. Makes it tough to put a set of the cards together if you are not also collecting the toys.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2013, 01:00:58 PM »

If it were for me I would admit it. the last toy I bought for myself was the voltron 20th anniversary editon nearly 10 years ago. the hardest 125 I spent on something that was going to sit in a storage tub.

I loved amassing all the 2k3 tmnt(the wife wasn't so happy), and was thrilled when he liked gijoe. 

but really not for me   ;)

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2013, 08:38:26 AM »
Is this show worth blowing off a first holy communion?

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2013, 10:50:47 AM »
Has anyone reached out to Roxanne about bringing the tables/chairs? I'd email her, but she don't know me from Shinola. No comparisons, please, to what is usually compared to Shinola...

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2013, 11:44:06 AM »
Is this show worth blowing off a first holy communion?

Is there any way you can combine the two?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2013, 01:16:23 PM »
Has anyone reached out to Roxanne about bringing the tables/chairs? I'd email her, but she don't know me from Shinola. No comparisons, please, to what is usually compared to Shinola...

I just sent her an email about it so I'll let you know what she says.  I asked her about whether Topps will be at the show, and if so, who it will be. 

I also asked her about the snack bar/tables dilemma we've had the past few years.  Hopefully she'll have some thoughts on how to remedy the situation to keep everyone happy.