Author Topic: 2013 Spring Allentown (Philly) show on May 4th and 5th  (Read 56136 times)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
Re: 2013 Spring Allentown (Philly) show on May 4th and 5th
« Reply #175 on: May 10, 2013, 09:41:19 AM »
I thought of this option and was hoping the suggestion would come up. I would be more than willing to pay $10 per show for this setup; maybe even $20 to get the 2 tables again. I agree that this was much more relaxing not having to worry about people giving you the evil eye while we hog the cafe tables. No pressure to leave...and we're not really "on display" quite as much, either. More room to work, too.

I suggest the payment arrangement all be done with Paypal, if possible. Someone (I'd volunteer to start) would collect the $$ from everyone else (they just Paypal me $10 or send me cash/check). If we get enough, we're golden and I'll pay Roxanne whichever way she prefers. If we don't, I just refund everyone...and I skip that show, as it'll suck without a trading table. LOL

I loosely discussed with Roxanne that collectors wanting to spend time at the Wacky table could spend the extra $10.00 at the admission table and would get a 2nd wristband of a different color that could go on the other wrist.   

Anyone that sits at the Wacky table without a proper wristband will be immediately tasered (I volunteered to control the taser gun-sounds like fun!). 

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #176 on: May 10, 2013, 09:47:12 AM »
I loosely discussed with Roxanne that collectors wanting to spend time at the Wacky table could spend the extra $10.00 at the admission table and would get a 2nd wristband of a different color that could go on the other wrist.   

Anyone that sits at the Wacky table without a proper wristband will be immediately tasered (I volunteered to control the taser gun-sounds like fun!). 

If tasers are allowed, I am going to go and be the asst taserer.

Offline Kook

« Reply #177 on: May 10, 2013, 10:02:16 AM »

That's a great idea Rob. I'd gladly pay an extra $10 for "table privileges", and wouldn't really want to pay many months in advance when I might not be able to attend the show. That also doesn't put someone in an uncomfortable position of trying to manage many transactions and chase people for $10 and try to track who paid. The extra wristbands are a good way of "self-policing" the event as people who don't have a bracelet would feel uncomfortable around those who paid their dues.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #178 on: May 10, 2013, 07:09:04 PM »
Good idea. Makes a lot of sense to just pay for the privilege at admission time....however, is Roxanne willing to set aside the space at each show with the potential of not selling enough wristbands to cover things?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #179 on: May 11, 2013, 09:43:04 AM »
Good idea. Makes a lot of sense to just pay for the privilege at admission time....however, is Roxanne willing to set aside the space at each show with the potential of not selling enough wristbands to cover things?

I (or someone) would probably have to be willing to fork over the $100.00 minimum ahead of time to give Roxanne peace of mind that she won't be losing table revenue from it.   

Offline eman

• Erik Bowen (aka eman)
« Reply #180 on: May 16, 2013, 09:20:17 PM »
Thanks to Brother Shoe for picking up some of my needs at the show. Great of him to offer to pick up things for those of us living too far away from Pa. to make the show. Thanks for the special card u sent with our address on it so I wouldn't lose it.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #181 on: May 17, 2013, 11:37:42 AM »
Thanks to Brother Shoe for picking up some of my needs at the show. Great of him to offer to pick up things for those of us living too far away from Pa. to make the show. Thanks for the special card u sent with our address on it so I wouldn't lose it.

Any Time Erik.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #182 on: May 17, 2013, 11:57:20 AM »
I'd like to thank Brother Shoe as well, for picking up the promo pack for me.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #183 on: May 17, 2013, 12:16:49 PM »
I'd like to thank Brother Shoe as well, for picking up the promo pack for me.

You are welcome Pat.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #184 on: May 27, 2013, 05:49:14 PM »

You are welcome Pat.

Couldn't make the show, and don't even know what cool Wacky stuff may have been in the promo pack? So what was in there?
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #185 on: May 28, 2013, 04:05:58 AM »
Couldn't make the show, and don't even know what cool Wacky stuff may have been in the promo pack? So what was in there?

Don't worry, there were no Wacky promos.  I collect other non-sports cards, and like the special show cards as well, so when I can't go I always ask someone to pick up a pack for me.  Rittenhouse usually has some nice promos at their table, too, but I guess not this year.

One promo that may interest a number of people here is for the new Mars Attacks Invasion series, due out in October.  100 base cards with all new painted art, plus sketches, plates, medallions, and patches.  The buy back cards are vintage 1962 cards.

One was for The Civil War Chronicles, which looks promising.  Portraits of Poe might be neat.  There were also 4 Philly show cards (#73-76), Revenge, Monsterwax, The Deep, Bench Warmers, American Horror Story, Classic Mythology II, Legendary Lovecraft, Bettie Page (this is a "thank you card" for the success of the set), Jack's Sketch Artist series, Zombies vs. Cheerleaders, Once Bitten - Art of the Vampires, and Adventures of Mac and Trouble.

Other than the Philly show cards, the last ones don't grab me, so if anyone here is interested, LMK.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #186 on: May 29, 2013, 06:28:39 PM »
Thanks for the info Pat! Was wondering...
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #187 on: June 03, 2013, 01:03:47 PM »
Hi all,

I've been busy lately and haven't had much time for the forum, but Roxanne wanted me to pass on that Brent Engstrom will be at the October "Philly" show (September 21 & 22) with a booth set-up!  I believe this is his first Philly show appearance.   

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #188 on: June 03, 2013, 01:23:12 PM »
Hi all,

I've been busy lately and haven't had much time for the forum, but Roxanne wanted me to pass on that Brent Engstrom will be at the October "Philly" show (September 21 & 22) with a booth set-up!  I believe this is his first Philly show appearance.   

OH, NO WAY!!!

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #189 on: June 03, 2013, 02:58:06 PM »
I will be making the drive again!

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #190 on: June 03, 2013, 07:44:23 PM »
Hi all,

Thank you for this info Rob, Looking forward to meeting Brent & the Sept. show.

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: RE: 2013 Spring Allentown (Philly) show on May 4th and 5th
« Reply #191 on: June 18, 2013, 09:37:03 PM »
A dealer at the show (imapackman from ebay) had two 7th gumless unopened packs at his table which he sold me for $15 total. I bought them to open for fun because they were cheap, and I thought I might score some nice sticker. Inside the first pack was this:

(Image removed from quote.)

Lucky enough to get a Grime Heavy at all, but this one has perfect centering, perfect corners, no roller marks....not super white, but I guess I can't complain!

Yee-haw!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #192 on: June 19, 2013, 03:54:56 AM »

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #193 on: June 19, 2013, 05:38:09 AM »
Yee-haw!

Wow, that is an unreal pull.  Getting a Grime Heavy 10 is pretty cool.  Good thing there was no gum to perhaps ruin this perfect sticker.
Still looking for Series 17

Offline Kook

« Reply #194 on: June 19, 2013, 06:49:08 AM »
Yee-haw!

Awesome Dave!! I didn't realize I had witnessed history in the making when you pulled that grime at the show  :great:  I wish I could see the pic, but for some reason my virus software is blocking pics from the hosting site saying there was some virus found at the site & tagged it as high risk. This has happened before and it takes a while for the pics to come back (anyone else have this issue?). Thanks to BigMuc for spelling out the pic you posted.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #195 on: June 19, 2013, 07:41:35 AM »
Congrats Dave, that's amazing!

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #196 on: July 11, 2013, 04:12:04 PM »
I stumbled upon this web page...well, ok, not really stumbled. Anyway, looks like our own jleonard1967 is a star! I do believe that is him at that table in the first photo. And, sitting in the artist panel table, is our own George Wright (Soremel), spelled Write in the caption. Geez. Even with a name tag, they got it wrong. or they got it Write?

http://www.nsu-magazine.com/58th-philly-non-sports-card-show-report-cards-friends-and-fruit-labels/

This link is in the article, but I thought I'd post it here for convenience. This is the Facebook album with more pics from the show. Alas, the "Wacky Table" is not shown. Bummer.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.453181478095733.1073741829.111754798905071&type=3

« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 04:17:25 PM by bigtomi »

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #197 on: July 11, 2013, 05:09:27 PM »
I stumbled upon this web page...well, ok, not really stumbled. Anyway, looks like our own jleonard1967 is a star! I do believe that is him at that table in the first photo. And, sitting in the artist panel table, is our own George Wright (Soremel), spelled Write in the caption. Geez. Even with a name tag, they got it wrong. or they got it Write?

http://www.nsu-magazine.com/58th-philly-non-sports-card-show-report-cards-friends-and-fruit-labels/

This link is in the article, but I thought I'd post it here for convenience. This is the Facebook album with more pics from the show. Alas, the "Wacky Table" is not shown. Bummer.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.453181478095733.1073741829.111754798905071&type=3

Yes that's me and on the advertising for the fall show (front page) that is me and Lynda

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #198 on: July 11, 2013, 10:31:33 PM »
Why do I feel clueless? I can't figure out which pictures you guys are referring to. Too dumb :great:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 11:08:49 AM by BumChex »

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #199 on: July 12, 2013, 07:09:05 AM »
Philly non sports card page in Facebook.  The top banner all the way to the right that's me in the Spider-Man shirt.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #200 on: July 12, 2013, 11:08:40 AM »
Philly non sports card page in Facebook.  The top banner all the way to the right that's me in the Spider-Man shirt.

I gotcha. When you click on the link it doesn't show you the banner. It only takes me to pictures.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #201 on: July 25, 2013, 06:48:37 AM »

Hi all,

Roxanne touched base with me and wants to know if we are still interested in a Wacky table for the 9/21 show.  If so she's looking for a deposit to hold the table by 8/23 for the minimum amount of $100.00.  I would like to hear from the people that attend the show if they are willing to pay the extra $10.00 to have access to the show.  To me it's well worth it, but there may be some who could care less.

Anyway, I'd be willing to front the $100.00 if I have a comfort that at least 9 other people would pay the $10.00 as well.  After that as long as Roxanne gets her minimum $100.00 I would get refunded my deposit money (less my $10.00), and she would keep any money for additional admissions above and beyond the $100.00.  If it works out she said it could be an ongoing thing.

I'm in, so we would need 9 more, so any regulars (such as Dave S., Tom P., Bill F., Mark S., etc.) or anyone else planning on attending please chime in as to whether you are in or out, and then I'll decide how to handle it. 

I told her to give me a few days to confirm the interest level.  I'll start a list of collectors who would pay the extra $10.00 to use the table.........

Rob P. (Dr Popper)

Thanks!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #202 on: July 25, 2013, 06:59:07 AM »
I'm happy to pay, but will people who haven't paid just use the table anyway? How will that be policed?

Offline Kook

« Reply #203 on: July 25, 2013, 07:31:40 AM »
I'm happy to pay, but will people who haven't paid just use the table anyway? How will that be policed?

Same here

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #204 on: July 25, 2013, 07:52:01 AM »
Hi all,

Roxanne touched base with me and wants to know if we are still interested in a Wacky table for the 9/21 show.  If so she's looking for a deposit to hold the table by 8/23 for the minimum amount of $100.00.  I would like to hear from the people that attend the show if they are willing to pay the extra $10.00 to have access to the show.  To me it's well worth it, but there may be some who could care less.

Anyway, I'd be willing to front the $100.00 if I have a comfort that at least 9 other people would pay the $10.00 as well.  After that as long as Roxanne gets her minimum $100.00 I would get refunded my deposit money (less my $10.00), and she would keep any money for additional admissions above and beyond the $100.00.  If it works out she said it could be an ongoing thing.

I'm in, so we would need 9 more, so any regulars (such as Dave S., Tom P., Bill F., Mark S., etc.) or anyone else planning on attending please chime in as to whether you are in or out, and then I'll decide how to handle it. 

I told her to give me a few days to confirm the interest level.  I'll start a list of collectors who would pay the extra $10.00 to use the table.........

Rob P. (Dr Popper)

Thanks!

I'm planning on going, and would be willing to pay to use the table if there's a chance I'll be able to sit at it for a bit to chat with friends and maybe do some trading, but am also wondering how many people can comfortably use the table, and how it will be policed.  An extra wristband maybe? 

I assume we will still be allowed to use the tables by the luncheonette for actually eating lunch.  That way, less BBQ sauce on the stickers  :)

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #205 on: July 25, 2013, 10:11:40 AM »
Hi all,

Rob P. (Dr Popper)

Thanks!

Hey Rob, Thank you for the call today, I plan on being there 9/21, I'll pay the $10.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #206 on: July 25, 2013, 10:12:19 AM »
I'm planning on going, and would be willing to pay to use the table if there's a chance I'll be able to sit at it for a bit to chat with friends and maybe do some trading, but am also wondering how many people can comfortably use the table, and how it will be policed.  An extra wristband maybe? 

I assume we will still be allowed to use the tables by the luncheonette for actually eating lunch.  That way, less BBQ sauce on the stickers  :)

My suggestion to Roxanne was when we pay the admission into the show we tell them we also want access to the wacky table, and we pay the extra 10 bucks and get a separate colored wristband that can be worn on the other wrist.

There will be one table for this show, not two, but with two tables we could have had 16 people there at the same time without a problem.  I'm thinking in the neighborhood of 10 at the same time for one table, but I can ask Roxanne what she thinks. 

As far as policing it, that's where it gets tricky, because I'm sure there will be some people coming over and hanging out without the wristband, and I really don't want the extra responsibility of being the bad guy and telling them to hit the road!  Maybe there could be a sign up on the table saying you must have the extra wristband or something, but ultimately it will have to be a collective effort or I don't think it will work.  If it ends up being a free for all and some say screw it and use the table w/o paying, then we know it won't work for the future, and we'll have to go back to the old system for future shows.   

All I know is that if we wanted to hang at the snack bar at the last show it would have been next to impossible because they had LESS seating out there than prior years.

And yes, we would still be able to use the snack tables for eating.  I don't think they allow food in the vendor's area for good reason! 

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #207 on: July 25, 2013, 02:03:53 PM »
I plan on attending and would gladly pay the extra $10.00 Rob.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #208 on: July 25, 2013, 03:55:22 PM »
Here's the list so far as I see it:

Rob P. (Dr Popper)
Tom P. (bigtomi)
Dave S. (Paul Maul)
Bill F. (Kook)
Pat F. (Raw Goo)
Mark S. (Pupsi-Cola)
xxxxxx  (ratchet007)  [sorry, forgot your name]

Offline Kook

« Reply #209 on: July 25, 2013, 06:11:05 PM »
Here's the list so far as I see it:

Rob P. (Dr Popper)
Tom P. (bigtomi)
Dave S. (Paul Maul)
Bill F. (Kook)
Pat F. (Raw Goo)
Mark S. (Pupsi-Cola)
xxxxxx  (ratchet007)  [sorry, forgot your name]

Scary Lee was there last time
Possibly the other Marc S (Quas)
Matt & Greg were at the table too. Maybe Rob may want to reach out to them. That would make 11.

Campy, are you going to be able to make this show?

anything