Author Topic: 2013 Spring Allentown (Philly) show on May 4th and 5th  (Read 56118 times)

Offline Swiski

Re: 2013 Spring Allentown (Philly) show on May 4th and 5th
« Reply #140 on: May 05, 2013, 05:48:59 AM »
Any who went to the Philly Card Show willing to part with their Star Wars Legacy promo card? Not for free, of course.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #141 on: May 05, 2013, 07:44:46 AM »
Any who went to the Philly Card Show willing to part with their Star Wars Legacy promo card? Not for free, of course.

That promo had to be picked up at Topps' table, so anyone who doesn't want one may not have bothered.

Offline bigtomi

Re: RE: 2013 Spring Allentown (Philly) show on May 4th and 5th
« Reply #142 on: May 05, 2013, 09:04:27 AM »
SO, How is the show ?
Overall, I thought it went very well. The tables Roxanne set up for us provided plenty of space for all, though we had enough stuff to fill it up pretty well, too. As is typical for me, I didn't do extraordinarily well with the dealers, but wasn't looking for much, either. I went with the focus of finding a Partridge Family poster pack (or two) to help complete the full box I'm building. Surprisingly, I actually found one for a fair price, so that was a score for me.

Picked up a gold ANS10 and a handful of series 15 upgrades from Matt Stock. Matt also gave me a couple of ANS10 empty collector boxes for my collection, which was cool of him.

Also spent a couple of hours trading original series with Andy Hermann, who we were all a bit shocked to see! That was great fun. Hadn't seen him since the "Great Assemblage of 2005".

I believe there was some kind of "official photographer" for the show there taking candids (I assume for NSU and/or the website). I saw him snapping some of our trading table, so we may show up in the mag or website in the not-too-distant future...

All in all, a good, productive show for me....except for the ride home, as I-78 had a construction backup which caused me an hour delay in getting home.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #143 on: May 05, 2013, 10:22:41 AM »
...except for the ride home, as I-78 had a construction backup which caused me an hour delay in getting home.

You ain't kidding, that was a delay I did NOT need....

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #144 on: May 05, 2013, 02:58:40 PM »
A dealer at the show (imapackman from ebay) had two 7th gumless unopened packs at his table which he sold me for $15 total. I bought them to open for fun because they were cheap, and I thought I might score some nice sticker. Inside the first pack was this:

(Image removed from quote.)

Lucky enough to get a Grime Heavy at all, but this one has perfect centering, perfect corners, no roller marks....not super white, but I guess I can't complain!

CongRatz Dave!!  This could not have happened to a more deserving person in the hobby!!

So now the value of 7th gumless packs just went up!!  Seriously though, I was trying to remember if there have been any previous reports of Grime Heavys being pulled from gumless packs?
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #145 on: May 05, 2013, 04:09:05 PM »
CongRatz Dave!!  This could not have happened to a more deserving person in the hobby!!

So now the value of 7th gumless packs just went up!!  Seriously though, I was trying to remember if there have been any previous reports of Grime Heavys being pulled from gumless packs?

I'm not sure if that has been reported before, however I have definitely also pulled Grime Dusty from Gumless packs. So I guess it can go either way.

Offline Kook

« Reply #146 on: May 05, 2013, 04:35:14 PM »
You ain't kidding, that was a delay I did NOT need....

That was a bad one!

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #147 on: May 05, 2013, 04:54:10 PM »
I'm not sure if that has been reported before, however I have definitely also pulled Grime Dusty from Gumless packs. So I guess it can go either way.

great pull Dave.  I wish I was there to see it.  I remember lots of debating over the years about if there ever was a verified Grime heavy pulled from a gumless pack.  I guess that debate can be officially put to rest. 
Still looking for Series 17

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #148 on: May 06, 2013, 12:27:39 PM »

Sorry to hear this Bill, It has been quite a while since I saw you last at a show, I believe the last one we got together at was the one in Mt. Laurel. Hope you can make the fall one.

I had a fun time at the show, For myself I was able to complete my bonus ones for ans 10 (A big Thank you to MS) and I got a poster set from the "73" series and also picked up cards for those who couldn't attend. In attendance at the Wacky table that Roxanne Toser set up for us, It was fun to hang out with Char Boy (Greg), Battle Caps (Matt), Paul Maul (Dave), Big Tomi (Tom), Freetoes (John), Ditch Masters (Andy), Dr. Popper (Rob), J Leonard (Joe), Duck & Hide (Anthony), Kook (Bill), Buzzooka (Mark), Stingline (Paul), Scary Lee (John) and his brother Tim. For those who couldn't make it, Band-Aches (Ernie), Brute 88 (Brian), Campy (Mark), De-Mented (Frank), Dr. Deal (Andrew), Hipton (Cheryl), Lucidjc (James), Monsterettes (Elizabeth), Playbug (Jeff), Ratchet 007 (Brian), and Raw Goo (Pat).

Offline Kook

« Reply #149 on: May 06, 2013, 12:51:15 PM »

I had a fun time at the show, For myself I was able to complete my bonus ones for ans 10 (A big Thank you to MS) and I got a poster set from the "73" series and also picked up cards for those who couldn't attend. In attendance at the Wacky table that Roxanne Toser set up for us, It was fun to hang out with Char Boy (Greg), Battle Caps (Matt), Paul Maul (Dave), Big Tomi (Tom), Freetoes (John), Ditch Masters (Andy), Dr. Popper (Rob), J Leonard (Joe), Duck & Hide (Anthony), Kook (Bill), Buzzooka (Mark), Stingline (Paul), Scary Lee (John) and his brother Tim. For those who couldn't make it, Band-Aches (Ernie), Brute 88 (Brian), Campy (Mark), De-Mented (Frank), Dr. Deal (Andrew), Hipton (Cheryl), Lucidjc (James), Monsterettes (Elizabeth), Playbug (Jeff), Ratchet 007 (Brian), and Raw Goo (Pat).

Mark, did you pick up a full '73 poster set at the show or from a forum member?

Offline Soremel

« Reply #150 on: May 06, 2013, 01:19:06 PM »

Hey Brother Shoe!

It was great to get to actually talk with you for more than  couple of minutes! Thank you for showing that little Wacky collector, Levi, your Pupsi tattoo! (his dad & grandmother got a kick out of that!) Hope to see you at the Fall show!

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #151 on: May 06, 2013, 02:32:12 PM »

CongRatz Dave!! 

I missed this when I read it yesterday

I thought it was a typo, when it’s actually Wacky-speak!             :great:

Offline Quackeroats

« Reply #152 on: May 06, 2013, 04:51:06 PM »
Yea he liked the tattoo, but needs to wait a few years :D..I will need to get a Quacker Oats t-shirt make for the next show though. He is already asking to go in September so I think he's hooked!

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #153 on: May 06, 2013, 06:31:49 PM »

Could you see any sticker showing through the pack when you opened it?  I assume the knight-move theory applied?
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #154 on: May 06, 2013, 06:59:25 PM »
Could you see any sticker showing through the pack when you opened it?  I assume the knight-move theory applied?

I didn't see anything showing through. The sticker in with the Grime Heavy was Feetena. So I believe it does obey a "wraparound" Knight's move. Although packs with one card on the edge of the sheet often don't obey the Knight's move.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #155 on: May 06, 2013, 07:53:53 PM »
Mark, did you pick up a full '73 poster set at the show or from a forum member?

At the show.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #156 on: May 06, 2013, 08:04:53 PM »
Hey Brother Shoe!

It was great to get to actually talk with you for more than  couple of minutes! Thank you for showing that little Wacky collector, Levi, your Pupsi tattoo! (his dad & grandmother got a kick out of that!) Hope to see you at the Fall show!

Yes it was great to talk with you just mono a mono as well, That is something I never got to do at any of the other shows due to you being so busy doing cards for collectors that would come by your table to say Hi and talk Wacky's of course. I would of included your name with the other collectors that attended the show and hung out at the table, But I knew that due to having your own table set-up, You couldn't come over and join in on the jam & trading session. And lastly Lord willing I hope to be at the fall show in Sept.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #157 on: May 06, 2013, 08:10:16 PM »
Yea he liked the tattoo, but needs to wait a few years :D..I will need to get a Quacker Oats t-shirt make for the next show though. He is already asking to go in September so I think he's hooked!

Hey Quacker, It was great meeting you, and Little Levi this past weekend for the show. If he is collecting Wacky's and either him or you need any from either the ans, flashback, or old school series, Please send me a
pm and let me know.

Offline quas

« Reply #158 on: May 06, 2013, 08:32:50 PM »

I thought I saw Quas (Marc) there as well....but I could have been mistaken.....
Marc

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #159 on: May 06, 2013, 08:42:38 PM »
I thought I saw Quas (Marc) there as well....but I could have been mistaken.....

LOL Sorry about that Marc, I knew I would come up a name short somewhere.

Offline Soremel

« Reply #160 on: May 07, 2013, 04:15:41 AM »

Maybe he can get started with the Wacky temporary tattoos that were issued a few years ago! LOL! That would be awesome if you guys can make it to the Fall show!

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #161 on: May 07, 2013, 03:11:18 PM »

LOL Sorry about that Marc, I knew I would come up a name short somewhere.

I have sent Pat (Raw Goo) and John (Ruffs) there promo packs that I picked up at the show and there is another forum member that I talked with before I went to the show that wanted one also, But I forget who it was. Please send me a pm when you see this.

Offline View Monster

• Sights For Sore-Eyes
  • ___ a.k.a. wackyfan ___
    • Non-Sport trading cardz
« Reply #162 on: May 08, 2013, 05:25:50 AM »

I have sent Pat (Raw Goo) and John (Ruffs) there promo packs that I picked up at the show and there is another forum member that I talked with before I went to the show that wanted one also, But I forget who it was. Please send me a pm when you see this.

:D  PM sent.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #163 on: May 08, 2013, 10:28:02 AM »

Offline View Monster

• Sights For Sore-Eyes
  • ___ a.k.a. wackyfan ___
    • Non-Sport trading cardz
« Reply #164 on: May 08, 2013, 10:35:44 AM »

Thank you Brian.

Thank YOU for remembering to pick me up something!  :great:

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #165 on: May 08, 2013, 10:45:39 AM »
It's kind of hard for me to comment on the full scope of the show, since I was pretty much anchored to my table for the duration, but from what I could see, it looked well attended by forum members. The "Wacky Packages Table" that Roxanne reserved for trading was the Wacky hot spot. A lot of action there!

To the amazement of many, our good friend Andy Herrman (Ditch Masters) was at the show! It was great to chat with him and catch up on stuff. I got to meet a few forum members for the first time.

Dave Schmidt (Paul Maul) had, in my opinion, the coolest Wacky moment ever! I don't want to steal his thunder, so hopefully he'll elaborate on that event!

Can't wait until tomorrow!

George, I haven't been on the forum since the show, and I was wondering why I didn't see you there.  I thought maybe you couldn't make it or something.  I walked around all of the tables twice so I have no idea how I didn't see you.  Where was your table located?
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Soremel

« Reply #166 on: May 08, 2013, 11:51:36 AM »
George, I haven't been on the forum since the show, and I was wondering why I didn't see you there.  I thought maybe you couldn't make it or something.  I walked around all of the tables twice so I have no idea how I didn't see you.  Where was your table located?

Hey Rob! My table was in the same spot as the last two shows (next to the raffle/prize entry table) I only got away from my table once to say "Hi" to Jeff Zappata!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #167 on: May 08, 2013, 01:04:11 PM »

Maybe if people posted pictures of the show we can see if we spot you close to Georges table...LOL

Offline Soremel

« Reply #168 on: May 08, 2013, 01:58:10 PM »
Maybe if people posted pictures of the show we can see if we spot you close to Georges table...LOL

Bazinga!! ;D

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #169 on: May 08, 2013, 02:32:58 PM »

If there was a Wacky title in the promo pack, could someone please post a scan?

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #170 on: May 08, 2013, 08:28:28 PM »
If there was a Wacky title in the promo pack, could someone please post a scan?

Sorry Rob, No Wacky in the promo pack this go around, I'm definitely thinking there will be one for the fall show.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #171 on: May 09, 2013, 08:35:23 AM »

I always say to myself the day after the show that I should have taken pictures.  I just never seem to think about it when I'm there.  If I go to the Fall show I'll try to remember. 

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #172 on: May 09, 2013, 08:48:14 AM »

Speaking of the Fall show, I exchanged a few more emails with Roxanne, and as we know the tables were a temporary fix because she had some tables open for this past show.  She said she could reserve one table for us permanently if we could gather up a group to help pay for it.  She suggested $10.00 each with a minimum of $100.00 total for the table. 

I think it's a fair suggestion, especially given that the snack bar area had even less seating than past shows.  I saw several people eating on the floor (me included) because there wasn't enough seating to eat, so doing our gig at the food tables won't be a good option in the future.  To me it's worth the 10 bucks to be able to sit down and hang out with everyone and it's a bonus to be in the actual show area, but please chime in and let me know what you think.

If we have 10 of us or so that are willing to pay $10.00 each, than the question is how do we coordinate collecting the money and managing the process?  I would think Roxanne will want the table pre-paid, so someone like myself would have to fork over the payment, and then coordinate collecting from others, which is kind of a pain in the neck.  And I could also see people coming and sitting down for a little while, and we would have to discuss how to handle that.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #173 on: May 09, 2013, 07:59:02 PM »
She suggested $10.00 each with a minimum of $100.00 total for the table. 

To me it's worth the 10 bucks to be able to sit down and hang out with everyone and it's a bonus to be in the actual show area, but please chime in and let me know what you think.

If we have 10 of us or so that are willing to pay $10.00 each, than the question is how do we coordinate collecting the money and managing the process?
I thought of this option and was hoping the suggestion would come up. I would be more than willing to pay $10 per show for this setup; maybe even $20 to get the 2 tables again. I agree that this was much more relaxing not having to worry about people giving you the evil eye while we hog the cafe tables. No pressure to leave...and we're not really "on display" quite as much, either. More room to work, too.

I suggest the payment arrangement all be done with Paypal, if possible. Someone (I'd volunteer to start) would collect the $$ from everyone else (they just Paypal me $10 or send me cash/check). If we get enough, we're golden and I'll pay Roxanne whichever way she prefers. If we don't, I just refund everyone...and I skip that show, as it'll suck without a trading table. LOL

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #174 on: May 10, 2013, 01:37:40 AM »
I'm in for 10.00. I probably won't make the fall show but I can tell you it was worth having the table there.

anything