Author Topic: 2013 Spring Allentown (Philly) show on May 4th and 5th  (Read 56116 times)

Offline Pupsi-Cola

2013 Spring Allentown (Philly) show on May 4th and 5th
« on: April 03, 2013, 08:21:23 PM »
Thought I would start the merry-go-round with a new thread for the Philly Non-Sport Show since the other one hadn't been posted on for almost 4 months, This Sat. the (6th) we will be 3 weeks out from the show and we should start a head count to see who is coming. I will be there on Sat. and possibly staying overnight, But not sure yet, Hope to find out that answer very soon.

Offline Stingline

RE: 2013 Spring Allentown (Philly) show on May 4th and 5th
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 04:54:39 AM »
I will be coming on the 3rd (6 hour drive from here) and staying over to make it early on Saturday. This will be my first Philly show as I just moved close enough to justify it.

Is it worth staying Saturday night? Is that mostly to socialize or is there enough to see that it takes 2 days?

Offline Soremel

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 05:52:37 AM »
I'm definitely there for both days. My table has been confirmed. As I've always mentioned in the past, all are welcome to congregate at my table to chat & trade Wacky Packages. I won't have the red Wacky Packages banner on the front of my table this time around, so look for a banner with "The Wright Stuff" logo and a giant copy of my signature on it ~ or, you can just look for the table being manned by a skinny, bald-headed "Wacky Geek"! See ya there!

George

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 07:35:36 AM »
Lynda and I will be there this year again.  Both days

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 08:53:06 AM »
I will be coming on the 3rd (6 hour drive from here) and staying over to make it early on Saturday. This will be my first Philly show as I just moved close enough to justify it.

Is it worth staying Saturday night? Is that mostly to socialize or is there enough to see that it takes 2 days?
You can cover the whole show in a few hours.  There is a pinball show in Allentown where you pay one price and play most of the games all day long, old and new.  If I can escape to come out that Saturday, I plan to do the non-sport show for a couple of hours then bolt to the pinball show.  I think trading a George's table sounds like fun as sitting in the hallway dominating the few cafeteria tables meant for people who want to sit and eat is generally frowned upon but some wacky pack collectors have generally been flipping their noses to that and hogging the tables all day anyway.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Stingline

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 09:49:50 AM »
You can cover the whole show in a few hours.  There is a pinball show in Allentown where you pay one price and play most of the games all day long, old and new. 

Pinball...show...*drool*. It looks like that starts on Friday? My wife and son were on the fence about coming along, this will probably tip the balance.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 10:08:24 AM »
I think trading a George's table sounds like fun as sitting in the hallway dominating the few cafeteria tables meant for people who want to sit and eat is generally frowned upon but some wacky pack collectors have generally been flipping their noses to that and hogging the tables all day anyway.

It's tough to know what to do, the venue sucks bigtime for outside dealing. When it used to be at that
Community College in Jersey it was fantastic, lots of well lit tables. Now you have to worry about pork grease
soiling that mint Bum Chex you just paid $200 for....

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 10:31:31 AM »
You can cover the whole show in a few hours.  There is a pinball show in Allentown where you pay one price and play most of the games all day long, old and new.  If I can escape to come out that Saturday, I plan to do the non-sport show for a couple of hours then bolt to the pinball show.  I think trading a George's table sounds like fun as sitting in the hallway dominating the few cafeteria tables meant for people who want to sit and eat is generally frowned upon but some wacky pack collectors have generally been flipping their noses to that and hogging the tables all day anyway.

Not sure that George's table is going to have room for 15 wacky collectors. Sitting at the cafeteria tables isn't ideal but at least the non sports card show brings the cafeteria a lot of business they wouldn't have otherwise. Should we seriously consider sitting on the floor and trading?

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 10:33:15 AM »
Thought I would start the merry-go-round with a new thread for the Philly Non-Sport Show since the other one hadn't been posted on for almost 4 months, This Sat. the (6th) we will be 3 weeks out from the show and we should start a head count to see who is coming. I will be there on Sat. and possibly staying overnight, But not sure yet, Hope to find out that answer very soon.

Me and my brother will be there. I've missed like 4 shows in a row so it will be good to be back there!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 10:38:42 AM »
Me and my brother will be there. I've missed like 4 shows in a row so it will be good to be back there!

:great:

Look forward to seein' ya!

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 10:43:42 AM »
:great:

Look forward to seein' ya!

Same here!

Offline Soremel

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 11:21:48 AM »
Not sure that George's table is going to have room for 15 wacky collectors.

True! I'm not sure how much room there is between the back of the table and the table parallel to it in the next row. If there is enough room in that spot (and the surrounding vendors don't mind) I have no problem with traders congregating there. Anything that I have at the show will be on & under the table. Just some food for thought!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 10:50:56 AM by Soremel »

Offline bandaches

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 12:10:40 PM »
Not sure that George's table is going to have room for 15 wacky collectors. Sitting at the cafeteria tables isn't ideal but at least the non sports card show brings the cafeteria a lot of business they wouldn't have otherwise. Should we seriously consider sitting on the floor and trading?
I think the wacky collectors hogging those tables lowers the upside take for the cafeteria as I know several people go to the diner down the street for lunch because there is "never any seating available" by the cafeteria.  It is ok, the table hogging has gone on for years, no reason for common courtesy to suddenly kick in now....  I saw one year the cafe mgr asked greg and matt to move along and they each threw $5 at him saying they were still paying customers.  I really doubt that very generous $10 covered the potential loss of customers who didn't stop at the cafe due to no tables being available.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 12:35:45 PM »
I think the wacky collectors hogging those tables lowers the upside take for the cafeteria as I know several people go to the diner down the street for lunch because there is "never any seating available" by the cafeteria.  It is ok, the table hogging has gone on for years, no reason for common courtesy to suddenly kick in now....  I saw one year the cafe mgr asked greg and matt to move along and they each threw $5 at him saying they were still paying customers.  I really doubt that very generous $10 covered the potential loss of customers who didn't stop at the cafe due to no tables being available.

It's been 2 years since I've been there so I don't remember how much room there is past the cafeteria tables, but do you think there is room for card tables that we can set up there? I am not even sure how mall management would feel about such a thing, just an idea.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 01:45:12 PM »
It's been 2 years since I've been there so I don't remember how much room there is past the cafeteria tables, but do you think there is room for card tables that we can set up there? I am not even sure how mall management would feel about such a thing, just an idea.

One of us should contact Roxanne and ask her if there is a solution to that issue.  Ernie is right that the snack bar loses business by collectors consuming the tables, but to be honest if I didn't have a place to sit and hang out and trade with other collectors I would be bummed and would be on the fence about going to the show at all.

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline bandaches

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 01:52:47 PM »
I think it is a great idea that should be endorsed by the show promoters so the mall mgt doesn't become a factor.

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 02:00:13 PM »
I think it is a great idea that should be endorsed by the show promoters so the mall mgt doesn't become a factor.

Well I can bring a couple of card tables and a few chairs. I don't like the idea of cutting into the place's business but I like the idea of not getting to sit and hang out even less.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 02:44:36 PM »
It's tough to know what to do, the venue sucks bigtime for outside dealing. When it used to be at that
Community College in Jersey it was fantastic, lots of well lit tables. Now you have to worry about pork grease
soiling that mint Bum Chex you just paid $200 for....

Last time I actually had to leave the snack bar area to sit and eat my lunch, since the tables were all full.  Standing up and using the trash can top as a "table" just wasn't working for me.......
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 02:56:39 PM by RawGoo »

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 04:08:13 PM »
sounds like fun , and only an hour away.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 06:38:05 PM »
Well I can bring a couple of card tables and a few chairs. I don't like the idea of cutting into the place's business but I like the idea of not getting to sit and hang out even less.
I plan on being there Saturday, as usual...and agree with John on the hanging out aspect and the "hogging" of the eatery seats. I have a folding table that is bigger than a card table I could bring and will try and bring along a few seats. Maybe someone should contact Roxanne and see if all of this would be doable...even if we set up near that "cove" area around the corner.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2013, 06:47:31 PM »

Ernie,  could you also give info on the pinball show.  Since I am going to be there that sounds also like a lot of fun.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2013, 08:46:19 PM »
Ernie,  could you also give info on the pinball show.  Since I am going to be there that sounds also like a lot of fun.

http://www.pinfestival.com/index.html

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2013, 10:04:28 PM »

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2013, 10:42:09 AM »
Where exactly is this non-sports card show? A back alley? Do you need to show a certain hand symbol in order to gain admittance?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2013, 10:43:11 AM »
Where exactly is this non-sports card show? A back alley? Do you need to show a certain hand symbol in order to gain admittance?

It's like a gang. They go their to sharpen their knives...LOL :]

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2013, 11:56:29 AM »

Your asking was the secret hand symbol.

http://phillynon-sportscardshow.com/

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2013, 01:00:49 PM »
Any word on whether there will be exclusive Wacky promos?
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2013, 05:44:46 PM »
                                                                  A story about a pinball museum in California is on the yahoo page right now
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2013, 04:54:35 AM »
the mall that this is taking place in seems more like a flea market .

besides non-sports cards, what else can I see at this show?  maybe mad magazines?

I never went before , can someone fill me in? thanks

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2013, 05:03:16 AM »
the mall that this is taking place in seems more like a flea market .

besides non-sports cards, what else can I see at this show?  maybe mad magazines?

I never went before , can someone fill me in? thanks

Someday I'd like to explore that whole place.  Comics, magazines, records, trains, old toys, trading cards, etc.  Protective packaging for all of that.  Handcrafted stuff.  A few members have left with nice furniture.

« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2013, 05:20:31 AM »
Someday I'd like to explore that whole place.  Comics, magazines, records, trains, old toys, trading cards, etc.  Protective packaging for all of that.  Handcrafted stuff.  A few members have left with nice furniture.
just by looking at the malls web-site( unless its hasn't been updated in forever) just seems like an in door garage sale or flea market. at the very least it gives me and the kid something to do for a day.

and hopefully fill some of those holes in the wacky collection !! getting the list ready....

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2013, 09:39:33 AM »
just by looking at the malls web-site( unless its hasn't been updated in forever) just seems like an in door garage sale or flea market. at the very least it gives me and the kid something to do for a day.

and hopefully fill some of those holes in the wacky collection !! getting the list ready....

Looking forward to meeting you, and hoping to help you on your want list, You will have a fun day I assure you. I have attended non-sport shows for over 20 yrs.

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2013, 09:56:30 AM »

Looking forward to meeting you, and hoping to help you on your want list, You will have a fun day I assure you. I have attended non-sport shows for over 20 yrs.
I look forward to meeting you (and others from here) as well.
I was toying with the idea of starting to buy complete set of the o.w.p. 1-16 until I saw the cost of series 16 (wow!!!$$$).  but while I love wackys , Mad was my original love and I have decided to start rebuilding my collection (300 by 88, that I stupidly sold to party). so im hoping I can find some there (otherwise it will be the madstore.com). otherwise I will hopefully fill some ans, 85 and 91 holes.

I will be wearing my NJ Devils jersey , cant wait.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2013, 11:17:41 AM »
Haven't seen anything about a special Wacky promo for the spring show, which is fine, but I'm wondering what Topps might bring.  Last time I got ANS9 Wacky cereal boxes, and a Mars Attacks! book.  Maybe the ANS10 binders will be out by then.  Can anyone from Topps chime in here?

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2013, 11:38:28 AM »

It would be great if there were seats others than the cafeteria ones to sit at.  You are right if Roxanne could speak to mall management first that would be helpful. I don't feel comfortable taking the cafeteria seats which is why I usually leave so quickly.