Author Topic: ANS10 collecting habits  (Read 13223 times)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
Re: ANS10 collecting habits
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2013, 08:59:35 AM »
I'm collecting a base, canvas, red, blue and silver set. Tattoos, magnets, all bonus and all lost wackys. In addition to that, a gold, a cloth, a red and black ludlow for my 2 favorite titles. I might try to get a plate but my favorite titles have more pricier plates so I don't know.

Not sure if I should buy a silver set now or wait to see if the price will drop.

I would wait a little longer until prices drop.  I sold a ANS9 silver set for $200.00 soon after the release and I can't get $100.00 for it now!   
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2013, 12:24:13 PM »
I totally understand collecting quality and always trying to upgrade your collection, but my question is why do you need a grading company like PSA to tell you what quality a card is.  You are probably better at grading Wackys the the PSA graders themselves, so why pay a hefty premium to get them graded?  That's the part I don't get.  

I know some collectors use PSA as a profit center trying to get hi-graded cards and flip, but if they are for your own collection I guess the only chase is getting on their directory?    

It's all about the added value when selling the high grade PSA stuff. If you have one graded an 8 or higher you will get more for it when you sell. Since Dave is constantly upgrading he will sell the 8 and get a 9 or 10.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2013, 04:54:38 PM »
I totally understand collecting quality and always trying to upgrade your collection, but my question is why do you need a grading company like PSA to tell you what quality a card is.  You are probably better at grading Wackys the the PSA graders themselves, so why pay a hefty premium to get them graded?  That's the part I don't get.  

I know some collectors use PSA as a profit center trying to get hi-graded cards and flip, but if they are for your own collection I guess the only chase is getting on their directory?    

Well, a practical consideration is the added value and liquidity in case I get hit by a truck. A nice 1st series sticker ungraded is probably worth $15-25. A PSA 10 is likely worth $400-600, and can be easily sold by anyone whether they know anything about wackys or not.

That aside, I enjoy the PSA grading for a couple of other reasons. Having a neutral party assessing the cards forces you to be honest with yourself about flaws, centering, etc.  It also allows collectors to appreciate the collections of others without actually examining them. And it gives you a tangible collecting goal to try to attain complete sets in some minimum grade, although eye appeal comes first for me. I have no interest in ugly 9's, which do unfortunately exist.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2013, 07:13:59 PM »
I will never be completely happy with mine, so I'll be looking to improve it until I die.
All I can envision is seeing Dave floating around the show floor of the 147th Philly Show with his walker trying to balance himself while examining the corners and centering of a Series 6 Bum Bums...which he still hasn't found a good enough one yet.

LOL

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2013, 05:16:14 AM »
All I can envision is seeing Dave floating around the show floor of the 147th Philly Show with his walker trying to balance himself while examining the corners and centering of a Series 6 Bum Bums...which he still hasn't found a good enough one yet.

LOL

Quite possible, in fact, that's pretty much what the Philly Shows look like now with collectors of 1940's sets.....

But it won't be Bum Bums, I have one at PSA right now that is a sure 9. Now Mold Rush, on the other hand.....

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2013, 07:09:38 AM »
Just saw that ANS10 Golds are currently going for $15.00.  I am glad I sold mine for $75 when they were new. Does that mean Golds from ANS11 will not go for much to start?

Andrew

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2013, 07:59:05 AM »
Quite possible, in fact, that's pretty much what the Philly Shows look like now with collectors of 1940's sets.....

But it won't be Bum Bums, I have one at PSA right now that is a sure 9. Now Mold Rush, on the other hand.....

I'm afraid when the older dealers retire there won't be a show at all.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2013, 08:32:09 AM »
I'm afraid when the older dealers retire there won't be a show at all.
This concept didn't occur to me. Don't you think someone will take their places in the non-sport trading card world?

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2013, 08:53:37 AM »
Just saw that ANS10 Golds are currently going for $15.00.  I am glad I sold mine for $75 when they were new. Does that mean Golds from ANS11 will not go for much to start?
No. They'll just follow the same pattern for golds since fb1. Start high during the initial rush and then taper off to low levels.

Offline Kook

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2013, 11:11:35 AM »
This concept didn't occur to me. Don't you think someone will take their places in the non-sport trading card world?

I think these types of transactions will move online.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2013, 11:48:19 AM »

I sure hope so, but so much is done on-line now that the tradition of doing shows might end.  This is something I could see as a fun second career when I retire - maybe we can team up!

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2013, 02:36:49 PM »
I sure hope so, but so much is done on-line now that the tradition of doing shows might end.  This is something I could see as a fun second career when I retire - maybe we can team up!
Yeah, maybe....that might be fun.

Interesting that both you and Bill think this way. I actually hope you're incorrect. I know that a lot of trading/selling occurs online now, but I'd hope that assembling as a group (like the Allentown show) would not come to pass. Would be sad, IMO. Part of what makes this hobby both exciting and interesting to me is the occasional people contact. Trading/selling items and discussing things face-to-face is rather essential to me, even for just those few hours a year. I think it's too isolating otherwise. Am I alone on this?

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2013, 03:19:22 PM »

Interesting that both you and Bill think this way. I actually hope you're incorrect. I know that a lot of trading/selling occurs online now, but I'd hope that assembling as a group (like the Allentown show) would not come to pass. Would be sad, IMO. Part of what makes this hobby both exciting and interesting to me is the occasional people contact. Trading/selling items and discussing things face-to-face is rather essential to me, even for just those few hours a year. I think it's too isolating otherwise. Am I alone on this?

I think most of us in the 40 to 55 age group here would agree with you. But I also suspect as the vendors age and fade, so will the collectors in this age group. I have a feeling those under 30, who were teethed on the Internet, would not feel the group gatherings to be as important as we do.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Kook

« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2013, 05:54:05 PM »

Although I do find the Allentown show very enjoyable, I certainly don't find it essential to collecting wackys. Getting together as a group doesn't have to happen at a show. It could happen as some type of club. After all, only a small percentage of the people here on the forum actually live close enough to attend. I think more deals happened at the 1st ever wacky table than at the rest of the show. Collector to collector is definitely more fun face to face.

If I were a dealer, these venues are definitely an option - a nice day to meet & deal face to face with fellow collectors, but not the only option. From a business perspective, I'd rather have my "wares" in front of millions of people while I'm off fishing, so to speak, than have to pack my stuff up into the car, drive x miles, lug it all out & set up in the hopes of making a few deals. I'm sure many of the dealers sell some stuff at the show, but I see so many of the same dealers with the same tired old inventory show after show. If this was a source of income for me other than a hobby, in this day & age, you have to be online already IMO.

anything