Author Topic: ANS10 collecting habits  (Read 13230 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
ANS10 collecting habits
« on: March 26, 2013, 09:11:40 PM »
Sometimes threads need to be separated so people can discuss different aspects to collecting. What I want to accomplish is to understand people's collecting habits with each new series. As we have discussed in the ANS10 thread is its tough to collect everything. It's not impossible because I know a guy that only needs 3 more red Ludlows. Is that crazy? I know its not cheap.

What I would like to know are your ANS 10 collecting plans and some of the why's. this could be fun so I hope most participate. I will start.

My goal was to collect all the fairly easy stuff. Such as all the borders, mags, tats, apps, TV, & bonus. My focus was not on plates, golds, autos, lud backs, & cloth.
No secret, another driving force was to collect sketches.

Once the series got in my hands I had an instant infatuation with Reeper's. I loved it instantly. I love monsters and creepy Wackys. That was my focus for chase stuff. I want everything Reeper's. Little did I know at the time Neil Camera did the original art until he caught my post showing the black matte reepers pull and messaged me that he did the painting and loved the black matte. Now I find I'm in competition with Neil to get everything Reepers...LOL

Results: I now have all of the stuff I wanted to obtain. I have all variations of Reepers including 2 plates. I have about 27 sketches so far, a couple golds, about 6 artist autos, about 30 each black Luds and cloths. The rest have been sold on eBay and to private collectors. I've just about broken even except for eBay and PayPal fees.

I'm still not what to do with the extra Luds and cloths. I first thought I would love to have a set of cloths. But then I found private collectors that really wanted to build the set so it helped me to recoup costs and buy more cases. I've also sold some nice sketches to help pay for my habit.

I know this is a bit long but I've had a blast with ANS10.

Offline ClubbedCanadian

Re: ANS10 collecting habits
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 01:46:57 AM »
Well i'm still on the fence with this series and have NOT bought a dam thing.
It all seems way over the top and outa hand to say the least.
Cloth,luds and a stupid amount of bonus cards and all the other crap is kinda stupid I think.I can't even imagine where this hobby is headed now after this series.
Some great looking art and good gags but everything is way to much money.
This almost seems like an effort to save the ANS series but so far it's only appealing to people that have money to burn from what I can see.
A black cavnas set and all the bonus cards is about all I really want right now.

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 04:40:39 AM »
1st off, my collecting habits are pretty much the same across all releases. I know you pose the question with ans10 as the reference point due to the sheer volume of cards to get and blah blah blah.
2nd, budget is always around 200-250, we (me and the kid) get 3 hobby boxes, bonus boxes, packs here and there, and then play clean up on here or fee-bay.
3rd, all the binders/collections are all the same;
4 sets of the base, stickers back to back(so when you flip the page its the same on the other side) and backs(big puzzles, coupons, etc.. )front to front,
and doubled of all subsets (mags, tats, etc...), at least 1 of the color parallels(the color doesn't matter, as long as we have one of the colors for each of the base set)
we try to get all the bonuses doubled.

as far as sketches and super chases, we are happy if we get 1.

with ans10 the anty was upped, we would love to get the "full house" on mimecraft but we've made peace with the fact that we might not get gold or red lud and that's ok.
we do it for fun, not to make money or get pissed off cause we cant have them all, just for fun.

luckily (depending on how you look at it) my kid keeps my ocd/collector thing at bay with his first love, expensive video games and electronics.

Offline Stingline

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 04:51:13 AM »
I bought one case of the Collectors and my intention was to collect one set of the common parallels available in there and then one example of the others. I wanted a Matt Frewer auto for sentimental reasons.

The result was a full set of the plain, black and red and a sample of red Ludlow, black Ludlow, cloth, artist auto, sketch and gold. I've sold or am selling most of my other cloths and golds. I've not decided on selling the extra black Ludlows. I traded for a Matt Frewer so that is met and I haven't decided on keeping the extra spokesperson autos.

I did also buy some double packs from Target, but I'm not sure yet on the blue parallel, I might just buy those as well as my missing Bonus stickers from eBay. I don't mind having holes in my collection for long periods of time, I think it's fun to go back years later and complete a set that was missing something, so the holes are an investment in future fun.

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 05:09:13 AM »
I don't mind having holes in my collection for long periods of time, I think it's fun to go back years later and complete a set that was missing something, so the holes are an investment in future fun.

well said, I do the same.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 08:17:45 AM »
It's not impossible because I know a guy that only needs 3 more red Ludlows. Is that crazy?
I know its not cheap.

I would never call anyone's collecting choices crazy, but I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want to devote that kind of energy/resources to ANS 10 ludlows when they could spend that money on high grade vintage items. Only if one can afford to buy everything would it make any sense to me.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 08:51:49 AM »
I bought one case of the Collectors and my intention was to collect one set of the common parallels available in there and then one example of the others. I wanted a Matt Frewer auto for sentimental reasons.

The result was a full set of the plain, black and red and a sample of red Ludlow, black Ludlow, cloth, artist auto, sketch and gold. I've sold or am selling most of my other cloths and golds. I've not decided on selling the extra black Ludlows. I traded for a Matt Frewer so that is met and I haven't decided on keeping the extra spokesperson autos.

I did also buy some double packs from Target, but I'm not sure yet on the blue parallel, I might just buy those as well as my missing Bonus stickers from eBay. I don't mind having holes in my collection for long periods of time, I think it's fun to go back years later and complete a set that was missing something, so the holes are an investment in future fun.

Almost the same  story here... I purchase one case of the collectors boxes. At the time, I did not have a clear collecting strategy for this release, and I found it evolved as a delved into it. From the collectors case I got several base sets, a full set of the black canvas and red borders and a sample of red Ludlow, several black Ludlows, several cloths, one artist auto, and one gold. I have sold or traded all but one of the gold and cloth stickers to recoup some of the case cost.  I did pick up a blue border and silver border set on eBay and have been trading my extra case items for the magnets, and tattoos  from the hobby boxes with people here on the forum. I traded and bought to complete the guest autograph set of 5.

I originally wanted to get one of each type of sketch card (meaning a can shaped, a box shaped, a bag shaped and a traditional). In the collector case I got a can, box and traditional. Since sketch prices have been much more in the affordable range than I expected,  I changed my goal and have been picking up one sketch from each artists a little at a time. So far, with one exception, all under $15. Usually with ANS releases, I have been satisfied with one sketch.  

Late in the game, I decided to go for a full run of all variations for the LITESABERS title, since, by chance, I ended up with some of the tougher chase items for this title. These will be my keeper gold, red ludlow, black ludlow and cloth examples when the smoke clears. Still on the lookout for  a printing plate for this title but thats one I will probably not get. I missed out on a plate auction someone was kind enough to tell me about, but I don't use the bots and our Internet service went down with a few minutes to go in the auction.  I also picked up a few packs at both Walmart and Target because I collect wrapper variations and also to get the non-collector case Bonus cards.

This release has been fun in some respects (trading has been fun and more challenging this time) but frustrating in others. In the past, I have resigned myself that I didn't need the gold border set, for example and would be happy with one as an example, but it is difficult to swallow that it would be almost financially impossible (for me), to justify completing so many subsets like the cloth, ludlows, gold border, and artist auto sets. I can see making one subset super tough per release, but 4 or 5 seems way overboard.  I have not taken the time to sit down and calculate my purchases versus sales yet, but would conservatively estimate I have about $350 in this release at this point. For me, that's a lot.  For those playing the dangerous game of selling on ebay, timing can be a critical factor. I was fortunate and sold 3 golds and 4 cloths early on and got back just a few dollars under what the collector case cost me. If I sold those same items now, they would probably bring a third less.  I hope Topps finds a middle ground between ANS9 and ANS10 for future releases.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 01:47:12 PM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 10:17:20 AM »
If I gave you $150 and said you have to hit the buy-it-now on one of these, which would you pick? Genuinely curious:

eBay auction: #261181837204

eBay auction: #380606301567

Offline Kook

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 10:30:26 AM »
If I gave you $150 and said you have to hit the buy-it-now on one of these, which would you pick? Genuinely curious:

I don't know that I would honestly spend $150 of my own money on either, but if you're paying, hands down for the 3rd psa9.

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 11:00:59 AM »

Without hesitation Dave, I would buy the PSA 9.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 11:08:59 AM »

HaHa, good one! Actually the red luds have come down a bit or maybe I sold too low. I feel the same way as you and I never thought people would really collect and spend the money on red luds. My average price started at $100 each and has come down to around $60-$75. I'm out now and don't plan on buying any more cases.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 02:58:19 PM »
I would never call anyone's collecting choices crazy, but I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want to devote that kind of energy/resources to ANS 10 ludlows when they could spend that money on high grade vintage items. Only if one can afford to buy everything would it make any sense to me.
For what it is worth, I don't understand why anyone would spend huge amounts of money on either.  I would rather have a big pile of average condition original series boxes or some original series uncut sheets, a piece of original series art over a pile of high grade vintage items or ANS10 ludlows.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 02:59:10 PM »

I'd give you the $150 back and say go donate it to charity instead.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 03:54:31 PM »
I don't know that I would honestly spend $150 of my own money on either, but if you're paying, hands down for the 3rd psa9.
ditto for me

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 04:38:19 PM »
For what it is worth, I don't understand why anyone would spend huge amounts of money on either.  I would rather have a big pile of average condition original series boxes or some original series uncut sheets, a piece of original series art over a pile of high grade vintage items or ANS10 ludlows.

I'm with Ernie on this. Graded cards, vintage or otherwise, do nothing for me. Manufactured rarities, especially back variations, do even less. An original series box, now that's a different story.

But I do like trying to get each unique title, so I may pony up for the last Lost Wacky I need.

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 04:55:43 PM »
I'm with Ernie on this. Graded cards, vintage or otherwise, do nothing for me. Manufactured rarities, especially back variations, do even less. An original series box, now that's a different story.
same for me.
once it goes graded, you're no longer collecting Wackys, you're collecting pointy corners.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 05:07:21 PM »
once it goes graded, you're no longer collecting Wackys, you're collecting pointy corners.
Pointy corners, ha!

That does remind me of Homer (maybe eating the bride and groom off a cake?) - Mmm, pointy...

Offline bandaches

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 06:49:44 PM »
Pointy corners, ha!

That does remind me of Homer (maybe eating the bride and groom off a cake?) - Mmm, pointy...
LOL, I too love the "collecting pointy corners" line....I will definitely have to starting using that phrase.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 07:01:15 PM »
Besides completing all the bonus cards and Lost Wackys, I made an effort to get all border variants of #8 Litesabers. Not a fan of the candy, but I own a huge Star Wars collection and I thought the gag was executed rather nicely. I am still missing the cloth and artist autograph, but I will pick those up down the line. I regret buying 3 collector boxes because most of my sought-after cards were not in my boxes, so I purchased them on eBay or traded with forum members. I notice eBay prices starting to drop on the bonus cards and Lost Wackys already! So yeah...next time I will have to discipline myself to be patient and just pick up the cards I need from members or eBay. I know I spent a lot on these cards to complete my set, but not as much as the 3 collector boxes I bought.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2013, 06:27:37 AM »
same for me.

I don't understand this logic. I enjoy having the highest quality wackys I can find because of my love for wackys. For those who like paintings, would you rather have one in perfect condition, or the same painting damaged and worn?

I was fine for ten years trying to amass wackys in near perfect condition without having them graded. I came to realize that getting them graded is wise financially because their value and liquidity are enhanced should something unforeseen befall me.

But why would I prefer a Bum Chex in average condition to one that's near perfect?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2013, 06:30:22 AM »
I'd give you the $150 back and say go donate it to charity instead.

Again, I'm puzzled. Given a high nostalgia, high quality wacky like this, why wouldn't you want a beautiful one for free? And I like display boxes also, but I'm curious why you would prefer to own a ratty die cut box over an immaculate 1st series sticker.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding. If you just think that the "bang for the buck" is not there with high grade items, I can understand that.

Offline Stingline

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2013, 07:18:24 AM »
Or maybe I'm misunderstanding. If you just think that the "bang for the buck" is not there with high grade items, I can understand that.

I'm not sure what his angle was, but I feel like there's a certain mania for grading and once you catch it, "It's a trap!", you must grade everything. I saw a set of graded 79 reprints on eBay and thought, "Who would do that?"

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2013, 11:07:11 AM »
To many of us who starting collecting in the early 1970's condition was not an issue.  When I started collecting comics (1971) I had no concern about what shape the comic was in, it was just to be able to get one.  I've never grown out of that feeling.  My understanding is the big emphasis on grade came later, in the 1980's.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2013, 02:53:38 PM »
To many of us who starting collecting in the early 1970's condition was not an issue.  When I started collecting comics (1971) I had no concern about what shape the comic was in, it was just to be able to get one.  I've never grown out of that feeling.  My understanding is the big emphasis on grade came later, in the 1980's.

While it's true there were no grading companies until the last 20 years, there were still plenty of condition-obsessed collectors. In the comic book hobby they (we?) were called "mint freaks."

Offline bandaches

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2013, 08:34:09 PM »
I don't understand this logic. I enjoy having the highest quality wackys I can find because of my love for wackys. For those who like paintings, would you rather have one in perfect condition, or the same painting damaged and worn?

I was fine for ten years trying to amass wackys in near perfect condition without having them graded. I came to realize that getting them graded is wise financially because their value and liquidity are enhanced should something unforeseen befall me.

But why would I prefer a Bum Chex in average condition to one that's near perfect?

...because to get PERFECT ones costs huge $ more and most of us are saying we would prefer to apply those $ to other wackys over sharp corners.  We are not saying we specifically would prefer lower grade over higher grade for the same cost.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2013, 08:35:46 PM »
Again, I'm puzzled. Given a high nostalgia, high quality wacky like this, why wouldn't you want a beautiful one for free? And I like display boxes also, but I'm curious why you would prefer to own a ratty die cut box over an immaculate 1st series sticker.

I would take a ratty diecut box over a perfect series 2 wacky any day....I have no recollection of wackys being perfect as a kid, I stuck them, I traded them, I handled them, I laughed at them, I never noticed the corners and looking at corners is not my focus today either.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2013, 09:41:48 PM »
I think the variation craze is due to most collectors already have their original series collection. They are feeding on the new stuff. Do I need 5 choke Wagon cards? If you are happy with your original series collection what else is there? New Wackys!

Offline wacked

• My home page
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2013, 04:04:49 AM »
I have collected everything from the 60's all the way to ANS9, including Olds, Erasers, Postcards, etc. I finally hit the wall with this set. Way too much crap! That seems to be Topps' new trend. So I'm out! I'm done buying any more new series of any kind. It just isn't fun for me anymore.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2013, 05:41:49 AM »
I think the variation craze is due to most collectors already have their original series collection. They are feeding on the new stuff. Do I need 5 choke Wagon cards? If you are happy with your original series collection what else is there? New Wackys!

You're right, if you are happy with your original series collection, there would be nothing else. I will never be completely happy with mine, so I'll be looking to improve it until I die. That's because I prefer to spend effort on something that's meaningful to me rather than new stuff I have at best a passing interest in.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2013, 05:59:00 AM »
You're right, if you are happy with your original series collection, there would be nothing else. I will never be completely happy with mine, so I'll be looking to improve it until I die. That's because I prefer to spend effort on something that's meaningful to me rather than new stuff I have at best a passing interest in.

I'm pretty happy with my original series collection, including some series that would likely grade overall at maybe a 5 or 6, and the reason is that a lot of it consists of stickers I pulled from packs myself.  No writing or missing borders, but regular pack pulls, sorted and stored by me way back when.  Tough to pull out a 'keeper' for an upgrade when you've had that sticker for going on 40 years.  When I was filling in holes, I mostly just wanted a nice example that would fit in.  Sets I just bought complete, I looked for sharp, clear stickers without major centering issues - I bought series 1 and 16 that way, and they're beautiful!  But, I wouldn't replace my Spit and Spill variation for a nicer sticker.  And I still have my few series 1 stickers.

Offline Soremel

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2013, 07:21:11 AM »

You're right, most collectors have their own agenda/choices. Personally, I would rather devote my time & resources toward my original series collection in lieu of what I would normally put into a "master" ANS set. This past week, for about the same amount of money I would have spent on an ANS collector box, I managed to get a complete 7th Series set with a beautiful Grime Heavy in it for $95. (with free shipping!) I will still collect a base set of each ANS offering, but my big bucks will be going for the vintage stuff. Just my 50 cents worth (inflation!)

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2013, 08:42:23 AM »
I'm collecting a base, canvas, red, blue and silver set. Tattoos, magnets, all bonus and all lost wackys. In addition to that, a gold, a cloth, a red and black ludlow for my 2 favorite titles. I might try to get a plate but my favorite titles have more pricier plates so I don't know.

Not sure if I should buy a silver set now or wait to see if the price will drop.

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2013, 08:47:18 AM »

No one is going to buy a chux mix red lud for $150. He's going to have to half that price if he wants a sale.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2013, 08:55:02 AM »

I totally understand collecting quality and always trying to upgrade your collection, but my question is why do you need a grading company like PSA to tell you what quality a card is.  You are probably better at grading Wackys the the PSA graders themselves, so why pay a hefty premium to get them graded?  That's the part I don't get.  

I know some collectors use PSA as a profit center trying to get hi-graded cards and flip, but if they are for your own collection I guess the only chase is getting on their directory?    

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline bandaches

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2013, 08:56:49 AM »
Completely untrue, after original series 1-16, there are UK stickers, OPC, boxes, uncut sheets, shirts, wall placks, mail away posters, all sorts of pre 1980s stuff that have all appeared on ebay in recent times.  Most original series collections have none of this stuff.  I just scored what appears to be a minty mint third mail away poster for under $100 because everyone else is to busy spending $150 on mass produced sketches.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 09:07:58 AM by bandaches »

anything