Author Topic: Thoughts on sketch artist awards  (Read 13726 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Thoughts on sketch artist awards
« on: March 26, 2013, 08:41:53 PM »
As I mentioned in the ANS10 spoiler thread. I think it would be fun to hold a series sketch artist awards ceremony. I think we should start right here with ANS10. I need some suggestions for the categories.
My thoughts would be polls based on certain criteria. Please post pics of some examples for your vote. This could be a lot of fun and some competition between artists. I don't know about prizes or trophy but that can add to the discussion.
I'm not sure how many categories but here are a few suggestions:
 best sketch B&W
 best Sketch Color
 best Use of Humor
 best base stock sketch
 best use of shaped sketch
 Favorite sketch artist for series
 Most unique use of a wacky character
 Best Combo sketch

I know shaped sketches is new so some artists weren't probably sure what to do so this could really be fun to show some great examples and bad examples.
I need to double check the poll setup for our forum because I would like to keep balloting private.
I can't believe we haven't done this before. It should be a lot of fun. Remember we need pictures from your own collection or eBay. Post suggestions here and I will set it up. Not sure how long to run the polls and competition but it should be when the series starts to die down and then we will lock in a date.
Thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 07:13:38 AM by BumChex »

Offline jleonard1967

Re: Thoughts on sketch artist awards
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 08:47:31 PM »
As I mentioned in the ANS10 spoiler thread. I think it would be fun to hold a series sketch artist awards ceremony. I think we should start right here with ANS10. I need some suggestions for the categories.
My thoughts would be polls based on certain criteria. Please post pics of some examples for your vote. This could be a lot of fun and some competition between artists. I don't know about prizes or trophy but that can add to the discussion.
1 best sketch
2 worst sketch
3 best return sketch not inserted in packs
4 best base stock sketch
5 worst base card sketch
6 best use of shaped sketch
7 worst use of shaped sketch

I know shaped sketches is new so some artists weren't probably sure what to do so this could really be fun to show some great examples and bad examples.
I need to double check the poll setup for our forum because I would like to keep balloting private.
I can't believe we haven't done this before. It should be a lot of fun. Remember we need pictures from your own collection or eBay. Post suggestions here and I will set it up. Not sure how long to run the polls and competition but it should be when the series starts to die down and then we will lock in a date.
Thoughts?
I am for that,  It sounds good to do that.  When are we going to start posting and can we use other series besides ans10?

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 09:17:57 PM »

Interesting idea Brad. I agree, it could be a lot of fun.

I don't understand what you mean here. Keep what private?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 09:26:28 PM »
I am for that,  It sounds good to do that.  When are we going to start posting and can we use other series besides ans10?

I think we should start now with ANS10. We could also do OLDS4 since its still for sale. I need suggestions.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 09:29:08 PM »
Interesting idea Brad. I agree, it could be a lot of fun.

I don't understand what you mean here. Keep what private?
Duh! LOL we need to keep balloting private such as the oscars and Grammys. It has to be unavailing at the ceremony. Maybe we could televise this internationally. A total black tie affair! . Trust me, I just thought of this and have no intention on swaying the voting. I think with everyone's pitch it could be close or swayed by a great example. Start digging!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 09:30:51 PM by BumChex »

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 10:53:18 PM »
Can you add -

Best / favorite overall sketch artist for series.
Worst / least overall sketch artist for series

For OS4 I already have my answers/ opinions on the above.

Alex

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 07:06:43 AM »
1 best sketch
2 worst sketch
4 best base stock sketch
5 worst base card sketch

Thoughts?

Hey Brad, I love the idea of doing a Sketch Cards Award thingy, but personally, I'm not sure if it would be in anyone's best interest to include "worst" categories. Sketch cards can take up every waking hour of the day, so I think most artists are at least entitled to a purple heart award! Just my 2 cents...

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 07:15:14 AM »
Duh! LOL we need to keep balloting private such as the oscars and Grammys. It has to be unavailing at the ceremony.

I honestly did not think of that aspect at all. That makes sense, to make the “winners” a surprise at the end.

I thought maybe you were thinking people’s opinion of sketches might be swayed by knowing how other people voted. LOL, yeah, a duh! moment, headslap

Offline chickenfat2010

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 07:44:50 AM »
1 best sketch
2 worst sketch
4 best base stock sketch
5 worst base card sketch

Thoughts?
If the artists were allowed to draw any wacky character in the wacky packs universe for their sketch cards in series ANS10 then maybe we can also have a category for "most unique wacky character rendered"

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 07:49:48 AM »
Hey Brad, I love the idea of doing a Sketch Cards Award thingy, but personally, I'm not sure if it would be in anyone's best interest to include "worst" categories. Sketch cards can take up every waking hour of the day, so I think most artists are at least entitled to a purple heart award! Just my 2 cents...

You're probably right about worst sketch. That's why I need suggestions.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 07:50:11 AM »
If the artists were allowed to draw any wacky character in the wacky packs universe for their sketch cards in series ANS10 then maybe we can also have a category for "most unique wacky character rendered"

Love this idea!

Offline Wgblood

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 08:14:26 AM »
Separate categories for color & b/w?

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 09:29:51 AM »
Separate categories for color & b/w?

I like this idea since some of the artists seem to shine more brightly in the color medium.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 09:46:34 AM »
I'm updating opinions in my first post.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 09:58:13 AM »
I also need suggestions on how to setup the poll.
The way it works is I might have to setup a separate poll for each category and list each artist to vote on. I may have to run this in a separate child board so it doesn't get all mixed in with the other topics.
I'll wait for some more suggestions and then set everything up on Friday.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 10:46:36 AM »

On the other hand, keep in mind that many of these artists have already had experience with shaped sketch cards in the GPK series.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 10:51:40 AM »
How about something like "Best use of Humor"  or "Most Original use of a Wacky Character".
Several of the artists really go out of their way to make each sketch somewhat unique and not just duplicates of one another, regardless of the quality of the artwork. Not sure what the category would be to reward that effort. "Least cookie cutter" doesn't seem to do it justice. 

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 11:02:41 AM »
How about something like "Best use of Humor"  or "Most Original use of a Wacky Character".
Several of the artists really go out of their way to make each sketch somewhat unique and not just duplicates of one another, regardless of the quality of the artwork. Not sure what the category would be to reward that effort. "Least cookie cutter" doesn't seem to do it justice. 

I like the humor idea cuz some of these are really funny. My only thought is that this could be tough to judge. Are we judging just one sketch or an artists body of work? We could all post the funniest sketches we've seen and then vote on the best 6 or so.
I like this idea better than having return sketches because some artists returns never see the light of day and are sold directly to private collectors. We should stick with pack pulls.

Offline Kook

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 11:08:29 AM »
How about Best Combo sketch

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2013, 11:11:33 AM »
How about Best Combo sketch

That is a good one too but I haven't seen many combo's, if any, for ANS10. We could add it to the list. I don't know how many categories we want but I would think around 10 or so. Good variety.

Offline Go_Bum

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2013, 02:44:49 PM »

You're probably right about worst sketch. That's why I need suggestions.

That category would be the most fun of all. Consider it.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2013, 02:59:02 PM »

That category would be the most fun of all. Consider it.

It would be fun but I better listen to Neil.
I have been thinking more on this and this is how it will probably work. I will list all artists in each poll. Throughout the month of April everyone will post scans of their favorite sketches and such. You can copy and paste them from ebay or a friend.
Everyone can vote and change their vote any time in April. No one will see the results until May 1.
Thoughts on that strategy? It will get everyone involved and could be fun if people get involved.

Offline chickenfat2010

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2013, 03:16:29 PM »
I have been thinking more on this and this is how it will probably work. I will list all artists in each poll. Throughout the month of April everyone will post scans of their favorite sketches and such. You can copy and paste them from ebay or a friend.
Everyone can vote and change their vote any time in April. No one will see the results until May 1.
Thoughts on that strategy? It will get everyone involved and could be fun if people get involved.
Your timing idea is good because it sticks with the theme of April as Wacky Packs month. We can vote throughout all of April and then get the results May 1st.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 03:18:42 PM by chickenfat2010 »

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2013, 04:48:56 PM »

You should add a Category for "Pat's favorite BOTS Sketch"!

Offline PG Lips

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2013, 07:09:32 AM »
How about:

Best Overall Sketch
    • Most Unique
    • Shaped
    • Regular
    • Flash Back / Original Series Content
    • ANS / Old School / WPC Content

Best Color Sketches
      • Most unique
      • Shaped
      • Regular

Best B&W Sketches
        • Most unique
        • Shaped
          style
          • Shaded
          • Not shaded
          • Regular
            style
            • Shaded
            • Not shaded

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2013, 07:17:32 AM »
How about:

Best Overall Sketch
    • Most Unique
    • Shaped
    • Regular

Best Color Sketches
      • Most unique
      • Shaped
      • Regular

Best B&W Sketches
        • Most unique
        • Shaped
          style
          • Shaded
          • Not shaded
          • Regular
            style
            • Shaded
            • Not shaded
I like the idea of old an new but I don't think all artists did both. Does anyone know for sure?[/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2013, 07:26:18 AM »

Yeah, and also Scot's bog creatures!

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2013, 07:43:16 AM »
Yeah, and also Scot's bog creatures!

Yes, the Halloween Postcard BOG RED creatures really caught my fancy. Sadly, I just have the one sketch card but "collected" the images of others from eBay and here on the forum. I think we had about 35 of them shown in one of the forum topics at the time of that release. Most very unique. I went back and dug up the most recent update to the Bog Army.... http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=1663.210    Then scroll down 4 or 5 posts.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 07:50:34 AM by sco(o)t »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2013, 08:00:59 AM »
Yes, the Halloween Postcard BOG RED creatures really caught my fancy. Sadly, I just have the one sketch card but "collected" the images of others from eBay and here on the forum. I think we had about 35 of them shown in one of the forum topics at the time of that release. Most very unique. I went back and dug up the most recent update to the Bog Army.... http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=1663.210    Then scroll down 4 or 5 posts.

I own the orginal art fro Bog and it's spectacular. I still need to get it framed. If you have some money to burn maybe we can work out a deal?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2013, 05:28:10 PM »

You're too funny!!  If all Wacky sketches are eligible, I may just submit the Botman sketch, even if Plots finding Bots is Wackier :)

Offline PG Lips

« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2013, 08:25:52 PM »
Thoughts on subcategories based on media used:  graphite pencil, charcoal, pastel, pen and ink, ballpoint pen, water colour, oil paint, etc.

I think pen & ink and graphite pencil are more appropriate  than shaded/not shaded - assuming these types of media are used.

Artists what have you used to do Wacky Package Sketches?

Offline Soremel

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2013, 08:31:52 PM »
Thoughts on subcategories based on media used:  graphite pencil, charcoal, pastel, pen and ink, ballpoint pen, water colour, oil paint, etc.

I think pen & ink and graphite pencil are more appropriate  than shaded/not shaded - assuming these types of media are used.

I used graphite pencil & India ink for mine.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2013, 09:47:32 PM »

It's not going to get that granular. I think you guys will all be confused enough with about 8 categories. There has to be a new thread for each poll so that makes 8 new threads to cover this. I found a mod for nesting polls but it hasn't been updated to our release of forum software so we have to do it the old fashioned way. It still should be fun but can confuse people since there will be multiple threads.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2013, 03:17:19 PM »
The polls are setup in a child board under Wacky Packages Discussion.
If anything needs to be changed please let me know.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2013, 03:37:02 PM »
Remember - You can change your vote at any time!

anything