Author Topic: Postcards Series 9  (Read 14497 times)

Offline FourRoses

Re: Postcards Series 9
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2013, 02:49:52 PM »
I agree Pat.  On one hand I'm excited to open ANS10 packs, but on the other hand I'm already frustrated that I have zero chance to put all of the subsets together, and there will be a bunch with this series that will be realistically uncollectable.  At least with the postcard series you could get one of everything without breaking the bank.

There isn't any fun in getting all you want when ever you want. The first few series of ANS and postcards were quite easy to complete if someone was into completion. As the series progressed though, it has felt more like collecting from years ago as kids when you didn't get the complete set and had to work for it which still wasn't a guarantee.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2013, 06:53:35 AM »
There isn't any fun in getting all you want when ever you want. The first few series of ANS and postcards were quite easy to complete if someone was into completion. As the series progressed though, it has felt more like collecting from years ago as kids when you didn't get the complete set and had to work for it which still wasn't a guarantee.

I think they got too extreme with the odds.  I'm fine with having to work to completing sets, but the problem with ANS10 is that it really isn't realistically possible to complete it.  Even if you took money out of the equation (which most of us can't do), you probably still couldn't complete the red ludlow set. It just causes frustration to me.

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2013, 02:43:45 PM »
I think they got too extreme with the odds.  I'm fine with having to work to completing sets, but the problem with ANS10 is that it really isn't realistically possible to complete it.  Even if you took money out of the equation (which most of us can't do), you probably still couldn't complete the red ludlow set. It just causes frustration to me.

I never minded working to complete a set, especially after I discovered the old forum around ANS2 or 3, and trading became a possibility!  But, this set is just crazy.  I should probably be happy that I won't have stickers to sort all over the place (especially since my Old School 4 stuff is still all over the place!!).  And yet, I am kind of sad I'm not opening boxes.....

Offline eman

• Erik Bowen (aka eman)
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2013, 02:52:26 PM »

I agree Rob.  I am a completist like you and would like to have it all, but Topps if making it simply unobtainable.  Hate to say it, but I busted a few rack packs just to see what they looked like and I will probably just wait for some sets to appear on ebay in a few months.  Plus has anyone mentioned that the colors of the boxes are not too far apart from ANS 9?  My Wal-Mart had packs of ANS 9 and Rack packs of ANS 10, so I almost missed seeing them.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2013, 10:08:20 AM »
I never minded working to complete a set, especially after I discovered the old forum around ANS2 or 3, and trading became a possibility!  But, this set is just crazy.  I should probably be happy that I won't have stickers to sort all over the place (especially since my Old School 4 stuff is still all over the place!!).  And yet, I am kind of sad I'm not opening boxes.....

This is very much how I feel.  Well, my OLDS4 isn't all over the place, but I'm trying to look on the bright side.  I'll save lots of money and, by being patient, be able to get all the new images plus a couple nice special cards for a very low price.  I've bought two regular and one rack pack from Target so far.  I might buy more if I could figure out all the permutations of what's in what kind of box, but I drove past TRU twice recently and didn't even bother to stop.  Didn't want to pay more than what should be retail and not even know what I might get. 

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2013, 10:28:22 AM »
This is very much how I feel.  Well, my OLDS4 isn't all over the place, but I'm trying to look on the bright side.  I'll save lots of money and, by being patient, be able to get all the new images plus a couple nice special cards for a very low price.  I've bought two regular and one rack pack from Target so far.  I might buy more if I could figure out all the permutations of what's in what kind of box, but I drove past TRU twice recently and didn't even bother to stop.  Didn't want to pay more than what should be retail and not even know what I might get. 

The master list thread will help you with which of the 6 bonus cards go with which 3 rack pack wrapper codes, as well as border colors and other inserts.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2013, 11:06:02 PM »
I'm telling you guys give up on collecting everything. Times have changes. I find it fun collecting great stuff. My fave is Reepers. I love the art. I want everything Reepers! That what makes things fun. We also have a few collectors looking for mimecraft. This is what it's all about. If you feel with every series you need to collect everything then you have to get over it because it ain't gonna happen without dishing out some big bucks. I know a guy that only needs 9 more red Luds. That's insane!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2013, 04:32:37 AM »
I'm telling you guys give up on collecting everything. Times have changes. I find it fun collecting great stuff. My fave is Reepers. I love the art. I want everything Reepers! That what makes things fun. We also have a few collectors looking for mimecraft. This is what it's all about. If you feel with every series you need to collect everything then you have to get over it because it ain't gonna happen without dishing out some big bucks. I know a guy that only needs 9 more red Luds. That's insane!

I agree that a good strategy going forward should be to get one of every type of card in a series as opposed to ALL the cards in a series. I like the idea of getting all the variations of a title you really like. It seems now you can get:

Base, Blue, Red, Silver, Gold, Black, Cloth, Artist Sig, Black Lud , Red Lud.   That's TEN versions of one card which is pretty cool. I just don't have a title I like enough to do it at present. So my collection will have at least one example of each type of card.

Andrew

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2013, 05:31:54 AM »

Base, Blue, Red, Silver, Gold, Black, Cloth, Artist Sig, Black Lud , Red Lud.   That's TEN versions of one card which is pretty cool.

No disrespect Dr Deal, I think that is wacky!

I realize everyone has different tastes, but I still don't understand why variations attract anyone. If we were collecting Hot Wheels, I could better understand / appreciate collecting different colors of the same car. But most of these border variations are the strip of color around the artwork or have different texture, so to me it is like having 10 Mona Lisa's hanging in your living room, all with different color matting, which to me is silly.

Since I'm being a bit critical, (as a fan, I reserve that right)

Tattoos?! Unless you use them, I just don't imagine why someone would want them. If the kids like them, that's great, and that makes sense. It is hard to imagine they are attractive in a binder. I'm not sure I've ever seen one, so I'm talking out my ass on this topic ...

I've seen a few of the new GPK lents that have been released recently. Both the 3D and motion cards are incredible and are of very high quality. These baby's make the luggage tags and other Wacky lents look like total crap in comparison. I don't understand why they don't bring them back. BRING BACK LENTS! BRING BACK LENTS!

OK, one last little negative, since I am on a rant. The sketches have the artist autographs, so I don't need any more autographs. BRING BACK LENTS! BRING BACK LENTS! How about a motion card that is a combination of 4 color sketches? Imagine a set of Jay's great sketches in 3D! I'd collect lent variations of the same character against different color backgrounds long before I'd collect border variations.

Have a nice day  :happy5:

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2013, 06:21:25 AM »

I realize everyone has different tastes, but I still don't understand why variations attract anyone. If we were collecting Hot Wheels, I could better understand / appreciate collecting different colors of the same car. But most of these border variations are the strip of color around the artwork or have different texture, so to me it is like having 10 Mona Lisa's hanging in your living room, all with different color matting, which to me is silly.

Maybe the idea of 10 Variations appeals to me since I also collect Hot Wheels. I have every paint variation of the 67 Camaro ever made which is about 90 versions.  :)
I would also appreciate the comeback of Lents and the disappearance of Autos.

Andrew

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2013, 02:51:53 PM »

Since I'm being a bit critical, (as a fan, I reserve that right)

Tattoos?! Unless you use them, I just don't imagine why someone would want them. If the kids like them, that's great, and that makes sense. It is hard to imagine they are attractive in a binder. I'm not sure I've ever seen one, so I'm talking out my ass on this topic ...

I've seen a few of the new GPK lents that have been released recently. Both the 3D and motion cards are incredible and are of very high quality. These baby's make the luggage tags and other Wacky lents look like total crap in comparison. I don't understand why they don't bring them back. BRING BACK LENTS! BRING BACK LENTS!

OK, one last little negative, since I am on a rant. The sketches have the artist autographs, so I don't need any more autographs. BRING BACK LENTS! BRING BACK LENTS! How about a motion card that is a combination of 4 color sketches? Imagine a set of Jay's great sketches in 3D! I'd collect lent variations of the same character against different color backgrounds long before I'd collect border variations.

Have a nice day  :happy5:

All I can tell you is that there are two aspects of my collecting mentality.  One is collecting Wackys because of the nostalgia factor, and two, is the challenge of trying to complete one of everything.  Unfortunately for me the challenge to complete everything seems to be the stronger factor, and that's why ANS10 has me a bit bummed out.  I wish I could just collect the base set and bonus cards and be happy, but to be honest it bugs me.

I was the exact same way as a kid.  I remember if the new series came out and I still had a couple titles I need in the prior series it would bother me, and I'm still the same way.

I thought about collecting one each of the cloths, golds and luds, but I am finding no interest in that and will try to sell off all of my extras as a result.     

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2013, 06:29:09 PM »
I wish I could just collect the base set and bonus cards and be happy, but to be honest it bugs me.

I was the exact same way as a kid.  I remember if the new series came out and I still had a couple titles I need in the prior series it would bother me, and I'm still the same way.

I'm the same way. I blame Topps for instilling in my 6-year old brain to "Collect 'em All". Seeing that as a kid was a "lightbulb" moment and I haven't been the same since.
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2013, 07:50:22 PM »
All I can tell you is that there are two aspects of my collecting mentality.  One is collecting Wackys because of the nostalgia factor, and two, is the challenge of trying to complete one of everything.  Unfortunately for me the challenge to complete everything seems to be the stronger factor, and that's why ANS10 has me a bit bummed out.  I wish I could just collect the base set and bonus cards and be happy, but to be honest it bugs me.

I thought about collecting one each of the cloths, golds and luds, but I am finding no interest in that and will try to sell off all of my extras as a result.     

Collecting has always been about collecting what makes you happy and can afford. There is no prize for collecting everything. Maybe there is but I haven't seen one other than a few attaboys.

anything