Author Topic: APRIL IS WACKY PACKAGES MONTH!!!  (Read 63721 times)

Offline MadMike

Re: APRIL IS WACKY PACKAGES MONTH!!!
« Reply #140 on: April 02, 2013, 08:22:18 PM »
I think its really a bad deal with not being able to order ANS10 boxes. I believe they are doing this on purpose and that probably also goes for ANS10 binders.
They are trying to move dead stock with this promotion and that's a pretty shitty thing to do. They have had ANS9 on their site for how long? Now they all of a sudden have run out of ANS10 boxes? IT'S TOPPS! If they really ran out of boxes they should be sold out. I have a hunch you will see them back on later this week.
Again I believe they are using this to turn older stuff.

And BINGO was his name-o.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #141 on: April 02, 2013, 08:24:38 PM »
I think its really a bad deal with not being able to order ANS10 boxes. I believe they are doing this on purpose and that probably also goes for ANS10 binders.
They are trying to move dead stock with this promotion and that's a pretty shitty thing to do. They have had ANS9 on their site for how long? Now they all of a sudden have run out of ANS10 boxes? IT'S TOPPS! If they really ran out of boxes they should be sold out. I have a hunch you will see them back on later this week.

Yes, i thought of that. Bad move is right. It's a bad move even if the truly ran out of the ANS 10 boxes. Who prepares for a promotion with limited stock on one the main selling items? Doesn't make any sense. Dollar wise cents either.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #142 on: April 02, 2013, 08:32:07 PM »

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #143 on: April 02, 2013, 08:36:02 PM »
I thought long and hard about whether I was even going to place an order and, if so, what I would get.  Because I've been less interested in Wackys the past year or so, I was able to find $100 worth of items that I was interested enough in to order.  However, I feel bad for those of you who wanted ANS10 stuff.  I hope the sketch cards make everyone's order worthwhile. 

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #144 on: April 02, 2013, 09:08:05 PM »

Fred, is there something we should know? You don't seem to be laughing...HAha

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #145 on: April 02, 2013, 09:15:39 PM »
I'm still surprised no one has gotten a shipping notice from Topps. REALLY?
I called today to see if I could expedite my shipment to 2 day instead of forever and he said he would ship 2 day. I'm thinking now I will get them on Thurs. now I don't know when they will show up. Not one person has chimed in as to getting tracking so how can 2 days pass without any shipping notice to anyone here? This is all in stock stuff. REALLY? I can understand getting overwhelmed but orders still trickle out but no one on the forum?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 07:24:29 AM by BumChex »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #146 on: April 02, 2013, 10:09:18 PM »
Yes, i thought of that. Bad move is right. It's a bad move even if the truly ran out of the ANS 10 boxes. Who prepares for a promotion with limited stock on one the main selling items? Doesn't make any sense. Dollar wise cents either.

After looking at Topps site I know they are truly screwing with people. The still have ANS7, 8 & 9. There is no way they ran out of ANS10.
It was strategically played this way to move older stuff. This was planned this way. If you don't believe it then you need to open your eyes. Topps is a business. They are not ready to help people complete ANS10 stuff. That's too easy. Even though they are dumping their older stuff I'm still surprised they haven't shipped anything. They usually ship the same day. It's all really bizarre. It kinda pisses me off.

Offline Stingline

« Reply #147 on: April 03, 2013, 04:24:14 AM »
I called today to see if I could expedite my shipment to 2 day instead of forever and he said he would ship 2 day. I'm thinking now I will get them on Thurs. now I don't know when they will show up. Not one person has chimed in as to getting tracking so how can 2 days pass without any hopping notice to anyone here? This is all in stock stuff. REALLY? I can understand getting overwhelmed but orders still trickle out but no one on the forum?

I did not get an email, but the order online now shows tracking information when I go into details and click the tracking button. My guess is that they inserted some manual step in the order process to deal with the Fun Packs and extra Wonky stickers and that's gummed everything up.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #148 on: April 03, 2013, 05:32:35 AM »
I called today to see if I could expedite my shipment to 2 day instead of forever and he said he would ship 2 day. I'm thinking now I will get them on Thurs. now I don't know when they will show up. Not one person has chimed in as to getting tracking so how can 2 days pass without any hopping notice to anyone here? This is all in stock stuff. REALLY? I can understand getting overwhelmed but orders still trickle out but no one on the forum?

I received delivery notice from UPS (since I'm signed up for their free service - UPS My Choice - which provides free delivery notice). My package will be delivered on Thursday between 12:15 and 4:15 pm.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #149 on: April 03, 2013, 08:32:03 AM »
I did not get an email, but the order online now shows tracking information when I go into details and click the tracking button. My guess is that they inserted some manual step in the order process to deal with the Fun Packs and extra Wonky stickers and that's gummed everything up.

I don't have an account setup so I can't see my order status. I used to be able to just plug in my order number and it would give me tracking.

Offline chickenfat2010

« Reply #150 on: April 03, 2013, 08:47:40 AM »
I don't have an account setup so I can't see my order status. I used to be able to just plug in my order number and it would give me tracking.
All "Wacky Packages Day" orderers: CHECK YOUR DOOR STEPS!

I don't think Topps sent out any follow-up delivery confirmation emails (with tracking #s) this time around. They were so swamped with orders they just shipped the packages out. I did NOT receive a delivery confirmation and my Topps package was just delivered from UPS five minutes ago!

- A Very Happy Fat Guy

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #151 on: April 03, 2013, 09:25:49 AM »
You would do well if stop thinking Topps cares about collectors, they are a business and as long as their pigeons will eat 5 old bread crumbs in order to get a lottery scratch card, they will do it. The real question here is, how many people want these sketches to keep versus how many really only hope to get a "valuable one" so they can flip it?  The concept of "completeness" for sketches has been completely blown away so this again seems to be a lottery scratch card game as otherwise, I can't fathom what would drive someone to want to spend $100 for stuff they don't need to get a sketch that doesn't even fit into a clear collecting pattern.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #152 on: April 03, 2013, 09:43:17 AM »
You would do well if stop thinking Topps cares about collectors, they are a business and as long as their pigeons will eat 5 old bread crumbs in order to get a lottery scratch card, they will do it. The real question here is, how many people want these sketches to keep versus how many really only hope to get a "valuable one" so they can flip it?  The concept of "completeness" for sketches has been completely blown away so this again seems to be a lottery scratch card game as otherwise, I can't fathom what would drive someone to want to spend $100 for stuff they don't need to get a sketch that doesn't even fit into a clear collecting pattern.

It absolutely is a lottery. I can't speak for others but I plan to flip the bad sketches and probably won't get much for them. I think if you really want to get in on this and not be burdened with buying old ANS stuff you should buy some OLDS4 boxes. It's obvious if you want the fun packs you want sketches so that way you will get 3 sketches for $100.
I'm looking for the last 2 comic and April 1 sketches so I have samples of them in my collection.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #153 on: April 03, 2013, 09:50:31 AM »
It absolutely is a lottery. I can't speak for others but I plan to flip the bad sketches and probably won't get much for them. I think if you really want to get in on this and not be burdened with buying old ANS stuff you should buy some OLDS4 boxes. It's obvious if you want the fun packs you want sketches so that way you will get 3 sketches for $100.
I'm looking for the last 2 comic and April 1 sketches so I have samples of them in my collection.
Your approach seems very rational given a tough situation and you have done well to call Topps out on this farce of making ANS10 unavailable for this "promotion".  Are three sketches worth $100?  Statistically, this seems to be a no.....not many sketches fetch over $100 so it appears there is more than 50% chance the three sketches will be "worth" about $30.  Do a probability analysis, assign a % chance to each value of category of sketch that might be pulled, add it all up.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Buzzooka

« Reply #154 on: April 03, 2013, 10:13:27 AM »
Got mine today. Had shipment come to work. Got a nice Joe Simko Mrs. Clean character. I like the overall card layout too.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #155 on: April 03, 2013, 10:22:00 AM »

The back cover ad is intriguing - Summer Spectacular!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #156 on: April 03, 2013, 10:22:09 AM »
Your approach seems very rational given a tough situation and you have done well to call Topps out on this farce of making ANS10 unavailable for this "promotion".  Are three sketches worth $100?  Statistically, this seems to be a no.....not many sketches fetch over $100 so it appears there is more than 50% chance the three sketches will be "worth" about $30.  Do a probability analysis, assign a % chance to each value of category of sketch that might be pulled, add it all up.

I really can't put a value on the sketches. I'm hoping to pull one of Camera's OLDS4 cigarette sketches. Too me that would be well worth it. It all depends on what I pull. I keep quite a few sketches so I'm hoping I only have to sell a couple. I could also pull a lot of duds.
Remember there are only about 90 sketches done for the April comic. Probably less for the other 2 comics so getting those would be very cool.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #157 on: April 03, 2013, 10:47:45 AM »
I really can't put a value on the sketches. I'm hoping to pull one of Camera's OLDS4 cigarette sketches. Too me that would be well worth it. It all depends on what I pull. I keep quite a few sketches so I'm hoping I only have to sell a couple. I could also pull a lot of duds.
Remember there are only about 90 sketches done for the April comic. Probably less for the other 2 comics so getting those would be very cool.
"I really can't put a value on the sketches." Wow, after you shit all over me for "overvaluing" my sketches I had on ebay in which I stated I was purposefully listing high buy it nows so I could solicit private deals, you now can't put a value on sketches?  Some humility kick in?   :P

Agreed that any sketch group that is truly less than 100 in total may be in high demand but it is sad that quantity drives demand sometimes more than quality of the sketch.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #158 on: April 03, 2013, 11:15:09 AM »
"I really can't put a value on the sketches." Wow, after you shit all over me for "overvaluing" my sketches I had on ebay in which I stated I was purposefully listing high buy it nows so I could solicit private deals, you now can't put a value on sketches?  Some humility kick in?   :P

Agreed that any sketch group that is truly less than 100 in total may be in high demand but it is sad that quantity drives demand sometimes more than quality of the sketch.

I meant the comic sketches. I can easily put a value on OLDS4 and most of the ANS10 stuff.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #159 on: April 03, 2013, 11:44:26 AM »
Just curious as to how people will classify these WONKY PACKAGES in terms of your collections. Since they are not Postcard, OS, or ANS related... I guess I will put them in the portion of my binder for misc. stuff like non-promo card show Wackys and the like,
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #160 on: April 03, 2013, 12:21:26 PM »
I meant the comic sketches. I can easily put a value on OLDS4 and most of the ANS10 stuff.

I bet the comic book related sketches will sell well, but of course those would be the ones most of us would probably want to keep.  We also have no ideas what the odds are of getting past series sketches vs. comic book sketches, so it's kind of a crap shoot.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #161 on: April 03, 2013, 12:54:28 PM »
Just curious as to how people will classify these WONKY PACKAGES in terms of your collections. Since they are not Postcard, OS, or ANS related... I guess I will put them in the portion of my binder for misc. stuff like non-promo card show Wackys and the like,

I've put the comics together with the postcards. It seems like a good fit.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #162 on: April 03, 2013, 01:04:20 PM »
I just got off the phone with Topps regarding the tracking info. They had email notification software issues so I don't think anyone received shipping notice. It sounds like they got all the orders out the door yesterday so you guys close to NY should probably be getting them today.
It kind of stinks that the sale is over because if we like to sketches we can't order more in the next couple days.
I wonder how many they had left? Maybe they will run another promotion soon to clear out the inventory of sketches.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #163 on: April 03, 2013, 01:49:11 PM »
I bet the comic book related sketches will sell well, but of course those would be the ones most of us would probably want to keep.  We also have no ideas what the odds are of getting past series sketches vs. comic book sketches, so it's kind of a crap shoot.
I heard they might also put some high quality borderless series 5 stickers they bought from a collector in some of the funpacks.  Those will be truly one of a kind, probably worth hundreds due to their rarity!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #164 on: April 03, 2013, 02:18:28 PM »
The comic is really nice!   You have to take it out of a sealed plastic wrap to even find out which Wonky card (WP1-WP3) is inside.  So, buying 4 probably doesn't guarantee you a set - buyer beware!

Offline bandaches

« Reply #165 on: April 03, 2013, 03:32:03 PM »
The comic is really nice!   You have to take it out of a sealed plastic wrap to even find out which Wonky card (WP1-WP3) is inside.  So, buying 4 probably doesn't guarantee you a set - buyer beware!
So if Topps sold Wonky cards at the price of a comic, would collectors just buy the wonky cards and one comic separately?  I suspect the answer is yes so therefore Topps could grow a brain and reep the same sales revenue at lower costs(ie produce fewer comics) ie higher profit margin and justification to keep doing wackys.  Collectors would spend more money on actual product instead of inflated shipping(assuming Topps doesn't profit off the shipping). 

Why this charade of putting bonus cards in other items?  It almost sounds like an illegal tie in where you are forced to buy one thing in order to get another and just is stupid financial management by Topps.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #166 on: April 03, 2013, 03:36:03 PM »
I can't fathom what would drive someone to want to spend $100 for stuff they don't need to get a sketch that doesn't even fit into a clear collecting pattern.

Exactly. Since there is no ANS 10 boxes for me to order - I will not order anything. I am not going to order a bunch of stuff I already have or do not necessarily want just for a chance at getting something cool. For me, it is not worth the risk, I could just easily buy a cool sketch or whatever outright and KNOW what I am getting. Check this morning and when I got home from work and just a few minutes ago for any ANS 10 stuff and nothing. So no deal for me. I guess that is the April fools, the joke is on us.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #167 on: April 03, 2013, 03:52:23 PM »

The comic is nicely done (like the others) and this is coming from someone who never liked comic books growing up. I just wonder why the other comic were sealed in plastic bag type deal with a cardboard backing yet not this one. I am guessing it is due to the card being inside.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #168 on: April 03, 2013, 04:44:03 PM »
I see them as Bonus cards, just like there are bonus cards with postcards or cereal boxes, and keep them with those items they came with.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #169 on: April 03, 2013, 04:45:26 PM »
So if Topps sold Wonky cards at the price of a comic, would collectors just buy the wonky cards and one comic separately?  I suspect the answer is yes so therefore Topps could grow a brain and reep the same sales revenue at lower costs(ie produce fewer comics) ie higher profit margin and justification to keep doing wackys.  Collectors would spend more money on actual product instead of inflated shipping(assuming Topps doesn't profit off the shipping). 

Why this charade of putting bonus cards in other items?  It almost sounds like an illegal tie in where you are forced to buy one thing in order to get another and just is stupid financial management by Topps.

I would just buy the Wonky cards without the comic. But your point is a good one, making collectors buy 3 of the same comic to get all the Wonky cards makes no sense for the collector and seems to make little sense on Topps end when they could perhaps make more profit without the extra comics.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #170 on: April 03, 2013, 05:55:36 PM »
The comic is really nice!   You have to take it out of a sealed plastic wrap to even find out which Wonky card (WP1-WP3) is inside.  So, buying 4 probably doesn't guarantee you a set - buyer beware!

Um....OK. I bought 3 comics, so I hope I get all 4 cards! That will suck if I don't get a complete set after forking over $48!! Did you buy 3 comics and not get a complete set of the cards?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #171 on: April 03, 2013, 06:13:58 PM »
Um....OK. I bought 3 comics, so I hope I get all 4 cards! That will suck if I don't get a complete set after forking over $48!! Did you buy 3 comics and not get a complete set of the cards?

So fare the eBay sellers have seemed to get all 4. I agree you shouldn't have to buy 3 comics just to get the bonus stuff but I guess how is this different than buying the postcards?

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #172 on: April 03, 2013, 06:39:37 PM »
So if Topps sold Wonky cards at the price of a comic, would collectors just buy the wonky cards and one comic separately? 

I would not either way, but for me its because they are not stickers. I must be missing the point of these Wonky cards. So Topps is luring collectors into buying multiple copies of comics to get some photoshopped images printed on cards (once again not stickers)? I lost interest in the comics after #2. I wish Topps would put their efforts into something like the OS giant sticker reprints, the 3rd Wacky book, calendars, etc.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #173 on: April 03, 2013, 06:44:04 PM »
I got all four Bonus cards so i think they are working that one out pretty well. I just constructed my 24 Box Cereal Box display and it looks pretty cool. I put my ANS10 in my new yellow PC binder and all is well. Why do they call the new Bonus cards Wonky Packages?  I don't see any Wonka tie in.  What am I missing here?

Andrew

Offline bandaches

« Reply #174 on: April 03, 2013, 07:45:38 PM »
I would not either way, but for me its because they are not stickers. I must be missing the point of these Wonky cards. So Topps is luring collectors into buying multiple copies of comics to get some photoshopped images printed on cards (once again not stickers)? I lost interest in the comics after #2. I wish Topps would put their efforts into something like the OS giant sticker reprints, the 3rd Wacky book, calendars, etc.
I am with you, I am not a buyer of these Wonky cards either so whether they are tied in to comics or not, makes no difference to me.  For the folks who are buying multiple comics, it seems clear they would just buy these wonky cards and have on interest in collecting or trading them, they all want a set right away with their base order.  This seems to totally contradict everything about collecting wacky packages and your point about them not being stickers furthers that point.