Author Topic: what ever happened to rusty and lostwackys.com?  (Read 8935 times)

what ever happened to rusty and lostwackys.com?
« on: March 17, 2013, 07:25:27 AM »
I loved his site, I know it hasn't been updated in years and just wondered if anyone knows what happened there?

if you look at the home-made wackys section you will see on the front page a picture of my kid and nephew and the HUGE 3-d mallowmartians wacky we made years back.

Offline Final Step

Re: what ever happened to rusty and lostwackys.com?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 10:38:21 AM »
I loved his site, I know it hasn't been updated in years and just wondered if anyone knows what happened there?

if you look at the home-made wackys section you will see on the front page a picture of my kid and nephew and the HUGE 3-d mallowmartians wacky we made years back.

Yes I'd like to know as well if someone has any information.

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 01:53:19 PM »

I don't know but I am grateful that the site is still up and running.

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 03:37:02 PM »
When I got back into Wackys in 2005-6, Rusty's site was the one that I found most valuable. It was current with all the latest news and had great breakdowns of each ANS. I have been sorrowful the last several years that the site has gone dormant. It really is a kick ass site!
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 09:56:51 PM »
When I got back into Wackys in 2005-6, Rusty's site was the one that I found most valuable. It was current with all the latest news and had great breakdowns of each ANS. I have been sorrowful the last several years that the site has gone dormant. It really is a kick ass site!

He's probably tired of dealing with it. This will happen to everyone. This forum is on auto pilot as long as I pay the fees but if I had to update content I probably wouldn't without any compensation I would burn out too. I'm keeping my Wacky-base URL alive until it expires. I'm not making any money and that was not the intent but I can't keep shelling out $500 for a new FileMaker release without cash. I have a few really avid fans but now they are so savvy they don't need me adding cards. I have it now so it works on iPads and iPhones at no additional cost but I can't afford the license to make it a Window executable. So at this point the program is just for me.

Offline Kook

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 07:24:22 AM »

I think Rusty is still around. He occasionally sells on ebay (since I have won a few of his auctions) and he does add some new recent stuff from time to time. He has added old school & postcard pages. I find his site as an invaluable resource. Even now, if something comes up on ebay that I've never seen before, I can always find it on his site. It is amazing.

Offline Kook

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 07:25:39 AM »

Offline mikecho

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 09:13:45 PM »
I found out recently that Rusty's website on Wackys has been blacklisted by Wikipedia and can't be used for references.

I know this because I tried to make a reference to the article on the 5th Rerun Series that was in it in the Wikipedia article for Wackys, only to be told about this in no uncertain terms.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 10:59:54 PM by mikecho »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2020, 09:37:29 PM »
I found out recently that Rusty's website has been blacklisted by Wikipedia.
That doesn’t sound right.  Wikipedia has no authority to police the internet that I’m aware of.

A while back I mentioned I could no longer access the site the usual way, and bigtomi gave me this link which still works.

http://www.lostwackys.com/lostwackys.htm

The ANS section has not been updated beyond ANS6 I think, but still lots of good info.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2020, 09:38:40 PM »
That doesn’t sound right.  Wikipedia has no authority to police the internet that I’m aware of.

A while back I mentioned I could no longer access the site the usual way, and bigtomi gave me this link which still works.

The ANS section has not been updated beyond ANS6 I think, but still lots of good info.
Thanks!

I think they said it was a spam blacklist and was deemed unreliable, IIRC. I don't know how it got there or why it was deemed thus, but it's on there and it is.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 09:45:27 PM by mikecho »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2020, 09:43:43 PM »
Just read your update - they don’t allow any mention of it within Wikipedia, which I guess is their prerogative.  I personally never checked Wikipedia for Wacky info.  They couldn’t have had the caliber of researchers like the Handbook/Gallery authors and other subject matter experts within the hobby, unless those folks also contributed their knowledge to Wikipedia directly.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2020, 09:52:45 PM »
That's a good question!

I was, however, able to refer to Fred Wheaton's lost 1992 series article on it, but only after I told the person who helped me out with it that Fred worked for Topps and, therefore, the article could be trusted.

Then the same person wanted me to show him that Fred worked for Topps. So far, I can't do that, but last I looked, the reference hasn't been removed at all. It's all in the Talk page of the article if you want to check it out.

Offline drono

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2020, 04:28:26 AM »
Then the same person wanted me to show him that Fred worked for Topps.

Refer them to the latest NSU.  It has an article on Fred about his drawing Wacky Packages.  I think that would be sufficient enough for them.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2020, 10:21:08 AM »
Refer them to the latest NSU.  It has an article on Fred about his drawing Wacky Packages.  I think that would be sufficient enough for them.
Okay, thanks!

Btw, what's the issue date?

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2020, 10:28:29 AM »
Fred's interview is mentioned on the cover, along with a nice pic of his martian x Fang girl painting

https://www.beckettmedia.com/non-sport-update/current-issue/non-sport-update-print-current-issue/non-sport-august-september-20-issue

Offline mikecho

Offline mikecho

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2020, 11:26:44 AM »
Okay, I just put the reference in the Talk page of the article. Wish me luck!

Offline mikecho

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2020, 05:23:49 PM »
Fred's interview is mentioned on the cover, along with a nice pic of his martian x Fang girl painting

https://www.beckettmedia.com/non-sport-update/current-issue/non-sport-update-print-current-issue/non-sport-august-september-20-issue

(Image removed from quote.)
The person I talked to on Wikipedia is willing to put the NSU article on Fred in the Wackys article, but now he needs the article's name, author and page number, since he doesn't have a subscription to NSU. Could I please have it, since I don't have one either?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 10:58:45 PM by mikecho »

Offline drono

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2020, 01:06:57 PM »
Non-Sport Update August/September 2020, Volume 31, No. 4
"Strike up the Band-Ache: Seventies Stickers Spark Wacky's Wheaton"
by Chris Mixer
pp 16-17

Offline mikecho

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2020, 03:06:45 PM »
Non-Sport Update August/September 2020, Volume 31, No. 4
"Strike up the Band-Ache: Seventies Stickers Spark Wacky's Wheaton"
by Chris Mixer
pp 16-17
Thanks again, again!

Offline mikecho

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2020, 03:19:32 PM »
Well, the new information is in the Talk page. Again, wish me luck!

Offline mikecho

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2020, 03:24:27 PM »
Just read your update - they don’t allow any mention of it within Wikipedia, which I guess is their prerogative.  I personally never checked Wikipedia for Wacky info.  They couldn’t have had the caliber of researchers like the Handbook/Gallery authors and other subject matter experts within the hobby, unless those folks also contributed their knowledge to Wikipedia directly.
I know what you mean, believe me. That article had even more information than it does now; e.g., names and release dates of the modern series from 2004 on, all of it contributed by yours truly.

Now all that is gone and if you look at it now, you'll see the results of what I call executive meddling.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2020, 11:06:07 AM »
Success at last! The information's been added in!

Offline drono

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2020, 12:29:08 PM »
Now all that is gone and if you look at it now, you'll see the results of what I call executive meddling.

It does seem strange that the Wacky Packages Wiki page has very little on it while other pages seem to have tons of information and scroll forever.  I wonder if the editor is someone who punched his Ratz, Cracked, and 21 Jolly while peeling the borders off his 1st tans and ludlows, tried to peddle them on ebay only to find out that they're virtually worthless, and now hates Wacky Packages.  That's my theory at least.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2020, 01:45:18 PM »
I wonder if the editor is someone who punched his Ratz, Cracked, and 21 Jolly while peeling the borders off his 1st tans and ludlows, tried to peddle them on ebay only to find out that they're virtually worthless, and now hates Wacky Packages.
That’s hilarious.  Don’t forget punched and stuck Good n Empty to the window of his neighborhood candy store, and his dad rolled up his uncut sheets and wall posters as fireplace tinder lol.

Offline cmgmd

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2020, 02:21:08 PM »
  That's my theory at least.
My theory is that the editor has an issue with the main contributor(s).

Offline mikecho

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2020, 10:20:15 PM »
If anyone wants the main page for lostwackys.com, here it is: lostwackys.com/welcome.htm

Offline mikecho

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2022, 12:45:35 PM »
Is Rusty all right? Last I heard, he was ill.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2023, 07:33:29 PM »
I just went on lostwackys.com to look up a few things, but every time I did, it took me to some website called "Wacky Packages 2007 Australia" which didn't even have anything Wacky-related on it.

Is everything all right? How's Rusty doing? Has he recovered, or is he still alive? Please let me know.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 06:38:16 AM by mikecho »

Offline mikecho

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2023, 04:08:25 PM »
Just checked the web site again and still the same thing as above happened. What in the world is going on here?

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2023, 07:43:13 AM »
Just checked the web site again and still the same thing as above happened. What in the world is going on here?
I demand an explanation from that guy who we don’t even know if he’s still alive.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2023, 08:08:16 AM »
I demand an explanation from that guy who we don’t even know if he’s still alive.
We don't even know? That's strange. I hope we can find out and soon.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2023, 10:07:32 AM »

I don’t understand what you’re saying. When I go to the website, it is still there.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2023, 11:26:40 AM »
I don’t understand what you’re saying. When I go to the website, it is still there.

Then it's back. For a while, it was doing just like I said it was. So something happened between then and now, I just don't know what it was.

UPDATE: It's still doing this, but now I know what it does. If you click on anything in the web site, it goes straight to Wacky Packages 2007 Australia. Also, the big list of catagories at the bottom of the site is missing.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2023, 08:39:11 AM by mikecho »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2023, 10:59:06 AM »
Is the VPN on your browser set for Australia?! I'm not seeing what you're seeing. The link works perfectly for me.