Author Topic: Wackys' popularity on Facebook  (Read 5252 times)

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
Wackys' popularity on Facebook
« on: March 04, 2013, 12:54:11 PM »
On Facebook, I was very surprised to see a huge disparity in the number of "Likes" among Topps' official pages for three of its big entertainment properties:

Wacky Packages - 5,749
Mars Attacks - 98,226
Garbage Pail Kids - 188,923

What do you think would account for such a small number of "likes" for Wackys? Is the rabid fan base so much older that they are less likely to be on Facebook? It looks like Topps' social media team puts more effort into the facebook pages that garner more interest... So anybody here who has a Facebook account and has not "liked" the Topps page yet may want to show our favorite stickers some affection:

https://www.facebook.com/WackyPackages

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
Re: Wackys' popularity on Facebook
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 01:10:51 PM »
sounds like a Catch 22 - the Wacky facebook page pretty much just sucks, so no one bothers to "like" it, and because so few people "like" it, Topps won't bother to improve the site so it doesn't suck.

but - supposedly Topps is pushing out a huge initiative to their Wacky page with ANS10 (at least, that's what the 'how to grab more $$$ out of Wacky collectors' flyer indicated), with the 'create your own wacky for ANS11' contest, so we shall see.

then again, we may just be the wrong demographic for facebook.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 01:12:20 PM »
On Facebook, I was very surprised to see a huge disparity in the number of "Likes" among Topps' official pages for three of its big entertainment properties:

Wacky Packages - 5,749
Mars Attacks - 98,226
Garbage Pail Kids - 188,923

What do you think would account for such a small number of "likes" for Wackys? Is the rabid fan base so much older that they are less likely to be on Facebook? It looks like Topps' social media team puts more effort into the facebook pages that garner more interest... So anybody here who has a Facebook account and has not "liked" the Topps page yet may want to show our favorite stickers some affection:

https://www.facebook.com/WackyPackages

I think you're right: It probably has something to do with age demographics...

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 01:40:14 PM »
I think you're right: It probably has something to do with age demographics...
Who is the target audiance for today's ANS wackies?  If it is young kids, they aren't on facebook.....and the number of rabid old timers won't make up the difference.  GPK and Mars Attacks appeal to teens and older, correct?  Seems ago demographics is definitely a factor....to go with the point that whomever is responsible for wackys at Topps is all that detailed oriented anyway.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 01:50:36 PM »
sounds like a Catch 22 - the Wacky facebook page pretty much just sucks, so no one bothers to "like" it, and because so few people "like" it, Topps won't bother to improve the site so it doesn't suck.

but - supposedly Topps is pushing out a huge initiative to their Wacky page with ANS10 (at least, that's what the 'how to grab more $$$ out of Wacky collectors' flyer indicated), with the 'create your own wacky for ANS11' contest, so we shall see.

then again, we may just be the wrong demographic for facebook.

I agree Patrick. I have a Facebook page but, I have never "liked" anything. Nor have I ever visited a company's Facebook page. I have this "thing" about a company keeping track of what I do on the web, what pages I frequent, etc. The only reason I even have the account is to keep in touch with relatives who live out of state.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 02:45:43 PM »
I agree Patrick. I have a Facebook page but, I have never "liked" anything. Nor have I ever visited a company's Facebook page. I have this "thing" about a company keeping track of what I do on the web, what pages I frequent, etc. The only reason I even have the account is to keep in touch with relatives who live out of state.
Good point, I am with you on this.  I refuse to like any company related stuff as it is all feeding a database that facebook keeps that they then sell to the advertisers for targetted marketing.  Facebook relies on "transactions" meaning they need people connecting, liking, posting their facebook game results and such so they can build a big database that completely profiles us all.  This is why facebook will NEVER charge a fee for usage as it would destory their biggest asset, the ever growing database of info.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 03:04:58 PM »

I too only have a Facebook page so I can see photos of my friends and their kids, since they no longer email them to me because they are posted on Facebook.  I choose not to 'like' any commercial pages, as I do not appreciate any more electronic tracking than is already happening when I use email, ebay and Amazon - that's bad enough!!

Maybe collecting Wackys as kids has made some of us more cynical, and less tolerant of commercial exploitation.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 03:10:21 PM »
Maybe collecting Wackys as kids has made some of us more cynical, and less tolerant of commercial exploitation.
That would be an interesting study, do we wacky collectors have lower tolerance for big brother watching?  I think today's kids are completely oblivious of the fact that they make it easy for big brother to watch them as they are all completely mesmerized by downloaded apps, facebook and such.

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 04:16:54 PM »
There was a Mars Attacks movie.  There was a GPK movie.  There was no Wacky movie.
You want Facebook hits...You gotta have a movie!

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 06:28:38 PM »
I have a Facebook page but, I have never "liked" anything. Nor have I ever visited a company's Facebook page. I have this "thing" about a company keeping track of what I do on the web, what pages I frequent, etc. The only reason I even have the account is to keep in touch with relatives who live out of state.

I have a facebook account but I rarely post. The reasons you mentioned are EXACTLY the same for me: The fact that companies track your every post  plus facebook constantly testing (and infringing) on privacy boundaries is enough to make me cringe! It's just creepy and wierd. And now I hear they're placing a monetary value on each of their members (undoubtedly for marketing purposes). Can you say big brother?

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 07:27:24 PM »
I have a facebook account but I rarely post. The reasons you mentioned are EXACTLY the same for me: The fact that companies track your every post  plus facebook constantly testing (and infringing) on privacy boundaries is enough to make me cringe! It's just creepy and wierd. And now I hear they're placing a monetary value on each of their members (undoubtedly for marketing purposes). Can you say big brother?

Me three... Add to that the fact I work in the information systems field (we look down on Facebook, doncha know). I guess those of us who lived through the '70s still harbor that corporate mistrust. I did eventually bend to family pressure and join Facebook because that is the main way some family members communicate these days. Reluctantly, I should add. Big brother indeed... Facebook couldn't be any more big brother if it held you down on the floor pinning your hands and legs, then tested how close to your face it could lower a spittle line.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 07:31:45 PM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Rabid Shaver

• Trivia Pirates
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 02:10:13 AM »
Is the rabid fan base so much older that they are less likely to be on Facebook?

as the literal "Rabid Fan" ....who you calling older Fred? LOL

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 02:22:37 AM »

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 10:27:54 AM »
But how would you know of stuff like this if you're not on Facebook?   http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jay-Lynch-original-art-Giant-18-x-24-Painting-Underground-comix-Moron-guy-/261178568200?pt

Nice! Now that's something I'm willing to sacrifice my privacy rights to see more of! ;)

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 04:46:25 PM »
topps really doesn't do themselves any favors to promote wackys on facebook. at least every other day topps/gpk  puts up a pic of one of their cards, and before the release of gpk bns2 they would show cards and ask people what the name should be .
since the release of wp ans 10 there has been 1 post for wackys! 1!

topps cant possibly keep putting out these wackys  for just a niche group, . they are in it to make money, not to make us happy. so why the lack of promotion on what is the biggest peomotional (and free) tool there is ?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 05:46:20 PM »
topps really doesn't do themselves any favors to promote wackys on facebook. at least every other day topps/gpk  puts up a pic of one of their cards, and before the release of gpk bns2 they would show cards and ask people what the name should be .
since the release of wp ans 10 there has been 1 post for wackys! 1!

topps cant possibly keep putting out these wackys  for just a niche group, . they are in it to make money, not to make us happy. so why the lack of promotion on what is the biggest peomotional (and free) tool there is ?

They're nuckleheads!

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2013, 08:11:26 AM »
they(wacky packages ) put out a post with the creeps sticker for easter today. and gpk puts out a post everyday....

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2013, 09:13:04 AM »
they(wacky packages ) put out a post with the creeps sticker for easter today. and gpk puts out a post everyday....

128 more "likes" for the Facebook Wacky page this month... A drop in the bucket I guess.

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 01:31:32 PM »
they (wackys/topps) put up a cheese inspired post today for grilled cheese day.
just sayin  :-\

and gpk put up pics of their new binder.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 01:34:10 PM by installerray »

Offline Forgers Coffee

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2013, 08:39:28 PM »