Author Topic: Wacky Pack Attic Find  (Read 4107 times)

Offline NEZHEAD42

Wacky Pack Attic Find
« on: February 13, 2013, 05:30:56 PM »
My sister and I recently went to my parent's home and completely cleared out the attic. My dad is having some rewiring done and new insulation blown up there. We went to get everything out (since most of it is ours). Everything up there was stored between 1977 (when we moved there) and 1989. All of our young childrens toys and books were still there. I found remains of 4 Wackys from my childhood. I have none of my original 1970's Wackys, so this was awesome for me to find. 3 were on the back of a wooden Winnie the Pooh tray puzzle and the Clammy was on the inside of a Disney kid's dictionary. I was able to carefully peel them off ( years of heat had baked them and it was not much of a problem). Anyway, thought I would share my story and find.

"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: Wacky Pack Attic Find
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 06:00:26 PM »
Nice! I never saved any of mine. I'm still searching for pics of my dresser and door filled with Wackys. No luck so far.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 06:13:44 PM »
Great story and find!  Every time I used to go back to my dad's house I would look through drawers and closets hoping to find some of my old Wackys but never did.  I'm pretty sure my mom threw them out when I left for college.  I did find some old pictures that I took back in 1982 when I went to New York City to visit my grandfather.  He took my mom and I to the World Trade Center and I took a bunch of pictures of the towers and from the top of them.  It was almost eerie finding those old pictures of the twin towers.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 08:44:19 PM »
My sister and I recently went to my parent's home and completely cleared out the attic. My dad is having some rewiring done and new insulation blown up there. We went to get everything out (since most of it is ours). Everything up there was stored between 1977 (when we moved there) and 1989. All of our young childrens toys and books were still there. I found remains of 4 Wackys from my childhood. I have none of my original 1970's Wackys, so this was awesome for me to find. 3 were on the back of a wooden Winnie the Pooh tray puzzle and the Clammy was on the inside of a Disney kid's dictionary. I was able to carefully peel them off ( years of heat had baked them and it was not much of a problem). Anyway, thought I would share my story and find.

Great story NH 42, If I could have today what I had back when I was 10, I could most likely retire sooner than later.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 05:01:57 PM »

Believe it or not, there used to be collectors that would have graded that Sludge sticker as "Near-Mint, perfectly-centered, w/slight corner ding"  (I'm joking, but only slightly)

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 05:18:10 PM »
Believe it or not, there used to be collectors that would have graded that Sludge sticker as "Near-Mint, perfectly-centered, w/slight corner ding"  (I'm joking, but only slightly)
heh. Yep!
And that moobeline would get a "looks great for its age"

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 09:16:35 AM »
I wish I kept my old stack of borderless restucks....  they'd be worth a fortune now!! :Woot_Emoticon:

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 09:29:03 AM »

I found some notebooks that were covered with worn out wackys.  Now after being so excited to find those notebooks after all these years, I don't know what the heck I did with them!  I still search my mom's house every once in awhile in search of my weakies t-shirt.  At this point it is clear it is gone, probably was used as a rag when I outgrew it but I still cling to that last hope that it is in a box somewhere.

I love these attic find stories.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 05:53:58 PM »
Love it!  Like an archeological dig only bits and pieces of some of them  :]

One of my favorite wackys from a ebay lot has some kid's writing on it...That meant a lot to that kid at the time so I keep it nice haha.

Wish I had mine from back in the day...nice job!

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 06:27:08 PM »
    My mom has struck again (in a good way). She has been cleaning out some book cases and cabinets and found all the grade school era artwork, poems, stories, homework, greeting cards, report cards, etc. that she deemed noteworthy and saved for me and my sister. She is giving this stuff to us, as it is time we had it. I have only just started looking thru it, but have found a whole art pad of superhero drawings I did when I was 7 in 1975. For me, it is an awesome treasure find. I had forgotten about it, but upon seeing it I can remember the hours I spent filling this pad with images of Batman, Shazam, Underdog, Captain America, Thor, etc.
     We used to make our own cards for family events such as birthdays, mother/father day, christmas, valentines, etc. Amoungst this stuff is a birthday card I made for my dad in May, 1974. I was 6. I decorated it with Wackies on the front and back. This has been placed between a bunch of papers for 40 years, so the stickers are in perfect (stuck) shape and have not faded. They are on regular light yellow construction paper. There is over print of the pink color on most of the stickers. I was fascinated by the overprint phenonemon when I was a kid and stared at that particular sticker all the time. Since then, I have always looked at the Secrets WP and felt it should have this overprint, otherwise it was missing something. To me, the overprint makes it look "right". I have searched ebay for years trying to find a Secrets with the overprint.
     Anyway, I thought I would share these WP stickers that have appeared to me from out of the past. I will add them in my collection to the ones I listed at the top of this post. They are the only WP that I have from my youth. To have these inadvertantly pop up after all these years has been a real mind blower, especially the overprint Secrets.

"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 06:51:01 PM »
That is a very cool find!  I'm fortunate my parents have some things from my childhood and I did save a decent amount of things myself (alas, no wackys).  But finding them after all these years is like an extra bonus.  Enjoy!

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 08:28:23 PM »
Nezhead, that is a wonderful find.  Obviously the red overprint Secrets and Clank came from the same pack and are cut from the same red overprint sheet.  Can't imagine there were to many of those!

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 09:19:34 PM »
    My mom has struck again (in a good way). She has been cleaning out some book cases and cabinets and found all the grade school era artwork, poems, stories, homework, greeting cards, report cards, etc. that she deemed noteworthy and saved for me and my sister. She is giving this stuff to us, as it is time we had it. I have only just started looking thru it, but have found a whole art pad of superhero drawings I did when I was 7 in 1975. For me, it is an awesome treasure find. I had forgotten about it, but upon seeing it I can remember the hours I spent filling this pad with images of Batman, Shazam, Underdog, Captain America, Thor, etc.
     We used to make our own cards for family events such as birthdays, mother/father day, christmas, valentines, etc. Amoungst this stuff is a birthday card I made for my dad in May, 1974. I was 6. I decorated it with Wackies on the front and back. This has been placed between a bunch of papers for 40 years, so the stickers are in perfect (stuck) shape and have not faded. They are on regular light yellow construction paper. There is over print of the pink color on most of the stickers. I was fascinated by the overprint phenonemon when I was a kid and stared at that particular sticker all the time. Since then, I have always looked at the Secrets WP and felt it should have this overprint, otherwise it was missing something. To me, the overprint makes it look "right". I have searched ebay for years trying to find a Secrets with the overprint.
     Anyway, I thought I would share these WP stickers that have appeared to me from out of the past. I will add them in my collection to the ones I listed at the top of this post. They are the only WP that I have from my youth. To have these inadvertantly pop up after all these years has been a real mind blower, especially the overprint Secrets.

PRICELESS!!!          :0012397:

(I have 1 Wacky from my youth. A few years ago I found an Airraid in an old Hardy Boys book at home. It fell off the page, and is totally trashed. It is one of my most treasured stickers)

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 09:38:39 PM »
Awesome! Never seen the overprint type stickers - funky! It's so strange now to see Wackys in their natural form - actually peeled and stuck - which is how I did them back in the day on my bedroom door - sweet! :)

anything