Author Topic: What is this worth?  (Read 17240 times)

Offline Alexeirex

What is this worth?
« on: February 06, 2013, 12:27:35 AM »
I found something cool tucked away in my bookshelf!
I guess I must have ordered this through ebay and never bothered to open the shipping box - the postage meter was dated 1999!
It's a Wacky Patches colorfast sew on display box with sleeve - the 39c version. No patches in the box though!
How much is this worth? I see a nice box full of patches in cellophane (is that really how the patches came?) on ebay for $200.
I think my display box is in alittle nicer shape.

Offline Kook

Re: What is this worth?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 05:44:35 AM »
I would estimate the box is worth somewhere between $20 to $50, probably being closer to the $20 side.

Patches are selling for approximately $10 ea, and here are some comps:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-Official-Topps-Wacky-Patches-Unopened-Retail-Box-24-Patches-/190789636118?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=a4baozf8zPIdnw8H7g3DzfoQYhE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wacky-Packages-Complete-Patch-Set-1974-/111005721280?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d874e2c0&nma=true&si=a4baozf8zPIdnw8H7g3DzfoQYhE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Note, the first comp has 24 patches included, AND it's the rarer version of the box (19c is much tougher than 39c). These boxes do come up a couple of times a year, and although they are not that common, for some reason, they really don't pull big bucks.

Here's a case where the lot is less than the sum of the parts. You'll probably get more money selling the box & patches separately than by selling the box & patches together, although it is more work. I'd also estimate the 19c box would probably pull between $50 & $75 by itself if it's in really nice shape with the sleeve. IMO, the seller could have doubled his income by selling the 1st lot in pieces.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 05:59:38 AM by Kook »

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 03:32:15 PM »
I would estimate the box is worth somewhere between $20 to $50, probably being closer to the $20 side.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-Official-Topps-Wacky-Patches-Unopened-Retail-Box-24-Patches-/190789636118?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=a4baozf8zPIdnw8H7g3DzfoQYhE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wacky-Packages-Complete-Patch-Set-1974-/111005721280?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d874e2c0&nma=true&si=a4baozf8zPIdnw8H7g3DzfoQYhE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Note, the first comp has 24 patches included, AND it's the rarer version of the box (19c is much tougher than 39c). These boxes do come up a couple of times a year, and although they are not that common, for some reason, they really don't pull big bucks.

Here's a case where the lot is less than the sum of the parts. You'll probably get more money selling the box & patches separately than by selling the box & patches together, although it is more work. I'd also estimate the 19c box would probably pull between $50 & $75 by itself if it's in really nice shape with the sleeve. IMO, the seller could have doubled his income by selling the 1st lot in pieces.
The seller who sold the .19 box got them all from a "attic find"  he stated that he had a case of wacky posters to sell and has been selling the boxes off every week. 

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 03:49:36 PM »

Thanks for the info! Darn it, I was hoping to maybe trade it for a collector box of ANS10 or a nice OS4 Parisi sketch!
Alex

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 03:46:31 PM »
Didn't want to start a new thread on this, so hoping Alex doesn't mind me piggy backing on his:

Just picked these guys up. Does anyone think they are NOT original from '73-'74? They looked right to me, so I bought 'em. If legit, I will keep one or two for my collection and sell the rest. If anyone wants/needs one, let me know and we'll work out a deal.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 04:31:30 PM »
Didn't want to start a new thread on this, so hoping Alex doesn't mind me piggy backing on his:

Just picked these guys up. Does anyone think they are NOT original from '73-'74? They looked right to me, so I bought 'em. If legit, I will keep one or two for my collection and sell the rest. If anyone wants/needs one, let me know and we'll work out a deal.

1st of all, Where did you come across those beauties, And 2nd I'd like one if the price is right, Bring one to the show please.

Offline wormypackages

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 05:05:01 PM »

Sent you a PM.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 03:30:44 AM »

Those are sweet!!!  They sure look vintage to me, and I'd love to have one if we can arrange something.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 05:10:50 PM »
Please tell us the story behind how you came across these!  Every time I am at an antique mall I always look through the tons of glass ware (and there is always tons of it) hoping to find some forgotten vintage Wacky glasses.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 07:00:21 PM »

When I was a kid, my father told me many times, “Something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.”

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 05:38:24 AM »
Those are sweet!!!  They sure look vintage to me, and I'd love to have one if we can arrange something.

they look like the real deal.  Where did you find them?  I am always keeping my eye out when at the thrift store or Flea Market for these.  But so far, no such luck....  how much are looking to get for one? 

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 05:16:54 PM »
Please tell us the story behind how you came across these!  Every time I am at an antique mall I always look through the tons of glass ware (and there is always tons of it) hoping to find some forgotten vintage Wacky glasses.
Loren, sorry to say that the story behind these is no more exciting than the one about the Wacky truck. I happened across the eBay auction, took a couple of minutes to look at the pics as closely as I could and decided to go for it. It was a Buy It Now, so...done.

I should have them within the next few days. Thanks to all who've shown an interest. I wish there were 6 or 8 of them, so I could distribute them to everyone who'd like one, but of course, that's just not the case. I'd like to receive them first and then I'll get back to those collectors. I'd hate to make a promise and, God forbid (knocking on much wood), any don't make it to me in one piece....that would make me cry, I think.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 06:35:35 PM »
Ah - I found the auction.  Looks like you got a great deal on these!  What about the other auction that had the Fang and Hipton glasses in it? 
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 07:09:59 PM »
Ah - I found the auction.  Looks like you got a great deal on these!  What about the other auction that had the Fang and Hipton glasses in it? 

I found the auction also. From the pics they look like they have never hit a dishwasher. Pictures can be deceiving but these look great. This is a hell of a deal!

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 07:10:52 PM »
What about the other auction that had the Fang and Hipton glasses in it? 
Someone else got those. Damn! Woulda loved to pick those up, too....   :o

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 04:40:11 AM »
Someone else got those. Damn! Woulda loved to pick those up, too....   :o

Bummer!  I found the auctions a few days ago, and assumed you had scored the Fang and Hipton as well.  Still, Kook-Aid is sweet!

Offline HENRY.R

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2013, 06:28:52 AM »

Offline Kook

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2013, 07:23:14 AM »
Wow!! a graded Pokeman card might get $100.000  unbelievable. :^) :^)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360722199528?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_2146wt_1606

I can't believe this auction has 355 watchers!

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2013, 07:58:40 AM »
I can't believe this auction has 355 watchers!

I suspect people just curious to see if the owner gets his BIN. If so, there may be 355 similar auctions next week.  ;)
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2013, 09:36:12 AM »
As much as I could not care less, this card is legitimately rare and thought to be worth $20 k. Apparently only a handful exist.

Offline Kook

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2013, 11:10:43 AM »
I suspect people just curious to see if the owner gets his BIN. If so, there may be 355 similar auctions next week.  ;)

Even so, I don't think there were 355 watchers (or even 50 for that matter) for the psa8 or 9 ratz that pulled about 10 grand a while back. That's a lot of interest IMO.

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2013, 12:24:46 PM »
Even so, I don't think there were 355 watchers (or even 50 for that matter) for the psa8 or 9 ratz that pulled about 10 grand a while back. That's a lot of interest IMO.
As of 3:15 PM EDT it had 655 watchers. I also believe this card to be worth between 20 - 25 K. That said, I would never pay that much.

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2013, 07:03:18 PM »
1300+ watchers and counting... 250+ offers...

Seems like starting it at $9,999 and letting it go might be interesting. BIN at $100k comes across as silly imo.

I'm content with seeing it for free. :)

One thing I do like, though: the rounded corners! Such a simple thing that would solve so many of those Wacky dinged issues...

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2013, 09:42:09 PM »

One thing I do like, though: the rounded corners! Such a simple thing that would solve so many of those Wacky dinged issues...

Yeah, but that's what is keeping it from getting a psa10 - no pointy corners  ;)

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2013, 05:34:21 AM »
Yeah, but that's what is keeping it from getting a psa10 - no pointy corners  ;)

I was wondering about how PSA deals with that type of card.  I've only collected one set of gaming cards, and it was nice not worrying about corners.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2013, 07:26:17 PM »
I found the auctions a few days ago, and assumed you had scored the Fang and Hipton as well.  Still, Kook-Aid is sweet!
They're ALL sweet!! Thanks to a little trading, I have scored Fang and Hipton. Never thought I'd be able to take this pic in my basement:

I also was able to help another collector complete their set. That adds to the satisfaction.

Offline Kook

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2013, 07:47:40 PM »
They're ALL sweet!! Thanks to a little trading, I have scored Fang and Hipton. Never thought I'd be able to take this pic in my basement:

I also was able to help another collector complete their set. That adds to the satisfaction.

Totally awesome! And I also love that shedds bucket peeking in on the side.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2013, 10:11:51 PM »

That's pretty spectacular.
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline HENRY.R

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2013, 02:13:50 AM »
AWESOME SET!! VERY NICE!! ALSO I SEE YOU OWN THE WACKY TRUCK. NICE!!

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2013, 06:37:28 AM »

That is fabulous!!  My heartfelt congratulations!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2013, 07:11:05 AM »

Those are pretty sweet. Are we sure there are only 4 designs?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2013, 08:27:30 AM »
Really cool. I love it when you can parlay a find like that into such a satisfying conclusion.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2013, 01:45:48 PM »
AWESOME SET!! VERY NICE!! ALSO I SEE YOU OWN THE WACKY TRUCK. NICE!!
Thanks!

I own "A" Wacky truck, not "The". Oddly enough, the collector I assisted with completing their glasses set also has a truck. Shocked the hell outta me!! Yes, it appears there is a third known truck now.

And thanks to everyone who's commented on my glasses display. I really didn't care that much about them...until I obtained a full set. Now, I think they're the cat's ass. LOL Hopefully, my cat will keep his ass away from them...

Brad, to my knowledge, these are the only 4 titles ever to surface. Fang was actually pretty recent history, it only just was found within the past 5-10 years (don't recall exactly when).

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2013, 04:52:00 PM »
Thanks!

I own "A" Wacky truck, not "The". Oddly enough, the collector I assisted with completing their glasses set also has a truck. Shocked the hell outta me!! Yes, it appears there is a third known truck now.

And thanks to everyone who's commented on my glasses display. I really didn't care that much about them...until I obtained a full set. Now, I think they're the cat's ass. LOL Hopefully, my cat will keep his ass away from them...

Brad, to my knowledge, these are the only 4 titles ever to surface. Fang was actually pretty recent history, it only just was found within the past 5-10 years (don't recall exactly when).

I wonder if you have the only set? It's just amazing how something like these glasses just show up out of nowhere. It seems to be finds at estate sales and such. People have hoards of stuff we may never see and they don't even know the value.

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2013, 05:23:12 PM »
That is fabulous!!  My heartfelt congratulations!

very nice!