Author Topic: Old School Booze and Tobacco  (Read 26151 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Old School Booze and Tobacco
« on: January 17, 2013, 08:04:29 AM »
Hey everyone, since Old School Wacky's are only sold by Topps and not retail I think it would be great if Topps would allow booze and tobacco gags again just like the 70's. I put up a poll so people can vote. Maybe we can make a difference.

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

Re: Old School Booze and Tobacco
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 08:28:17 AM »
Hey everyone, since Old School Wacky's are only sold by Topps and not retail I think it would be great if Topps would allow booze and tobacco gags again just like the 70's. I put up a poll so people can vote. Maybe we can make a difference.
SMOKES AND BOOZE                                             YES
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 08:58:12 AM »
SMOKES AND BOOZE                                             YES

Another yes.... and can we add sex? Just askin'
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 09:07:12 AM »
Another yes.... and can we add sex? Just askin'
NOOOOO                                           WILL REFER YOU TO THE COORS LITE POSTER WITH THE SUPER CUTE BLONDE!!!!!!!!!
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 09:18:39 AM »
I'm voting yes not just because I want to paint these types but as a fan they should be in a series based on 70s products

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 10:10:11 AM »
I'm voting yes not just because I want to paint these types but as a fan they should be in a series based on 70s products

I concur.  It makes sense.   
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 10:27:53 AM »

I don't like the smell of cigarette smoke so I'll say no to the cig's, but my palette loves the booze so yes to the booze!   :singing:
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 10:55:00 AM »
That would be 100% old school.  +1 vote for yes.

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 11:19:48 AM »
I don't like the smell of cigarette smoke so I'll say no to the cig's, but my palette loves the booze so yes to the booze!   :singing:

This would be understandable if they were scratch & sniff.  :hee20hee20hee:

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 01:40:47 PM »

Remember, Wackys are mocking the cigs, not promoting them ;)

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 03:35:05 PM »
Remember, Wackys are mocking the cigs, not promoting them ;)

and the first few series were actually anti-smoking too, until they got tamed down.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 07:35:53 PM »
definitely yes, you get my vote! 

Offline Jason Brower

• jasonbrowerart.com
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 10:15:42 PM »
Yes! There are so many great titles I haven't been able to draw that I really want to do.

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 03:05:59 AM »
It isn't truly classic Wackys without having cigarettes and booze parodies.
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 05:23:05 AM »
It isn't truly classic Wackys without having cigarettes and booze parodies.

I want to see some of these types of product parodies in new Old School series.  Not like I want a quota or anything like that, but they should be permitted!!  These are direct market Wackys, so the "it's for the children" argument shouldn't apply.  I promise not to sue, as I'd much prefer to spend my "mad" money on trading cards, as opposed to ridiculous lawsuits.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 08:24:48 PM »
Maybe a future ANS could have a SMOKES/BOOZE subset.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 04:10:20 AM »
Maybe a future ANS could have a SMOKES/BOOZE subset.

Highly unlikely IMO...unless maybe they were to limit sales to consumers over 18. But then they'd probably have to verify and keep track of every buyer's age. Another concern: could these same consumers then resell the product to anyone they wanted? Sounds way too complicated...

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 06:40:06 AM »
is there actually a ban with OLDS now, or is it just that Dave didn't happen to do booze & tobacco in OLDS 3 & 4?

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 09:17:00 AM »
Highly unlikely IMO...unless maybe they were to limit sales to consumers over 18. But then they'd probably have to verify and keep track of every buyer's age. Another concern: could these same consumers then resell the product to anyone they wanted? Sounds way too complicated...

I still don't get their thinking. We had the booze/cigs titles aimed at us when we were kids. The Wackys are making fun of the products, not condoning them. We've talked about this before, how most of us don't think that those Wackys influenced us to start drinking/smoking. I have never touched a cig in my life, and didn't drink till I was in my late 20's.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2013, 09:47:32 AM »
is there actually a ban with OLDS now, or is it just that Dave didn't happen to do booze & tobacco in OLDS 3 & 4?

From what I have heard there is.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2013, 02:47:56 PM »

Almost had them in OLDS3 but they stopped using then right before I started painting. I have a number of good ones ready to go if they change their mind.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 08:19:42 PM »
Almost had them in OLDS3 but they stopped using then right before I started painting. I have a number of good ones ready to go if they change their mind.

What were the BOOZE/TOBACCO OS3 WACKIES you did before Topps said no more, slamjim?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, 07:17:20 AM »
I can't say since I will be using them if booze and cigarettes are allowed back in

Offline dth1971

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 01:51:36 PM »
I can't say since I will be using them if booze and cigarettes are allowed back in

An ANS or OS subset, perhaps?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 02:07:00 PM »
An ANS or OS subset, perhaps?

No, in Old School if they allow them back in. They would be in the base set same as the earlier series. Ideally I'd like to have around 2 of each in each series.

Offline Stingline

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2013, 10:53:39 AM »
Is there any use in writing to Topps to request them back in? I am not sure how effective emails to support@topps.com are, but as a cranky editorial letter writer type, I am happy to send a little note that first lauds the company for the awesomeness of the series and then asks them to consider alcohol and tobacco again for the next series.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2013, 04:49:02 PM »
Absolutely! Write away! I think I'll send them this poll link as well

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2013, 05:21:23 PM »
Absolutely! Write away! I think I'll send them this poll link as well

In that case, I'll chime in as well to vote for the return of alcohol and tobacco product parodies. Old School is not truly old school without them.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2013, 04:08:07 AM »
In that case, I'll chime in as well to vote for the return of alcohol and tobacco product parodies. Old School is not truly old school without them.

Yep, I just cast my vote too - bring 'em back!

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2013, 11:47:03 AM »
Get out the pitchforks folks!  >:D 

Looks like we got a troublemaker somewhere casting a "no" vote.  :]

Offline Go_Bum

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2013, 02:25:18 PM »
Yes, bring back the booze and tobacco wacky packages. :great:

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2013, 02:58:11 PM »
Yes, bring back the booze and tobacco wacky packages. :great:

I'm not for or against alcohol/tobacco in future sets, just so long as the gags are good. Afterall, a crappy tobacco gag is the same as a crappy gag.

Offline Go_Bum

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2013, 03:33:24 PM »
I'm not for or against alcohol/tobacco in future sets, just so long as the gags are good. Afterall, a crappy tobacco gag is the same as a crappy gag.

I agree. I don't think they should be apart of ANS but Old School is totally appropriate. I'd like to see them cover products other than just the main beer brands. I'd love to see a spoof of Thunderbird wine. :]

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2013, 06:32:13 AM »

Hey Neil, does Topps keep a master list of gags/titles in their database so they know what parodies they've already done to avoid dupes.  I would think after all of the new series since 2004 without a list it would get tough to keep track of them. 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2013, 03:39:58 PM »
Hey Neil, does Topps keep a master list of gags/titles in their database so they know what parodies they've already done to avoid dupes.  I would think after all of the new series since 2004 without a list it would get tough to keep track of them. 

I think at this point with the ANS and Postcards they just want brands that are popular with kids so duping is not a big deal. With Old School we still want to try not to dupe since that was part of the premise. However, since the OS had a few dupes here and there I would not be against it especially if it was using a newer version of a label but one that was still not modern (example; if the first sticker of the product was based on a 1972 version, then the product had a big visual overhaul in 1975, why not do it again if we have a good gag).

anything