Author Topic: Really Ultra-Pro? Are card sleeves acid-free?  (Read 6552 times)

Offline Slaytex99

Really Ultra-Pro? Are card sleeves acid-free?
« on: January 15, 2013, 04:21:10 PM »
So I have about 800 wacky packages in top loaders.  They are ultra-pro 3x4 regular.

Now I read that these are *not* acid-free.  Seriously?  Dammit ultra-pro :P

But all the wackys I have in toploaders are in soft sleeves too.  Then I read that the soft-sleeves *are* acid-free.

So am I ok or have I put all my wackys in slo-mo acid baths?  :sad:

Offline ratchet007

Re: Really Ultra-Pro? Are card sleeves acid-free?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 09:57:08 AM »
Not exactly sure. I keep all mine in acid-free penny sleeves and acid-free toploaders just to be safe.    :D

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 10:33:04 AM »
I keep mine in the ultra pro premium toploaders. I don't know for sure if they are acid free. The package doesn't say.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 10:48:37 AM »
Saw this quote on a sports card shop site:

"Important Note: Ultra Pro Top Loaders are not acid free. It is recomended that a soft sleeve be used before putting a card, picture, or whatever in the Top Loader. The Ultra Pro soft sleeves are made of polypropylene which is acid free and does not contain any PVC."

http://www.adsportscardsetc.com/toploadercardholdersandtopboxesultrapro.aspx

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 09:29:13 AM »
Saw this quote on a sports card shop site:

"Important Note: Ultra Pro Top Loaders are not acid free. It is recomended that a soft sleeve be used before putting a card, picture, or whatever in the Top Loader. The Ultra Pro soft sleeves are made of polypropylene which is acid free and does not contain any PVC."

http://www.adsportscardsetc.com/toploadercardholdersandtopboxesultrapro.aspx

Yes, that is the quote I saw too.  I guess everything is ok since I have all the stickers in soft sleeves too, but for now on I am only gonna buy the premium top loaders that are acid-free.

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 01:02:01 PM »
vfx2g in the other thread had a good link for an article on plastics in preservation which got me looking around too.

Looks like the ultra-pro top loaders are made of PVC which in itself is ok, but they have to mix it with additives like plasticizers which be harmful to items which come in contact with it.  Things like UV light can cause the additives to break down and leach to the contents.

Here is a good link that recommends not to use PVC containing materials to store photos:

http://www.scrapbookpreservationsociety.com/faq.htm#31

The good thing is that the ultra-pro soft sleeves are made of polypropylene which looks like is archival safe. Soooo if the stickers are in a polypropylene soft sleeve then put inside the PVC top loader it should be ok...I think haha.