Author Topic: Rigid Pocket Protectors?  (Read 9745 times)

Offline Slaytex99

Rigid Pocket Protectors?
« on: January 08, 2013, 04:22:42 PM »
Hello,

I was noticing in my Wacky Packages binders, that the 9-sleeve protectors sheets were a little wavy.  In other words they don't lay flat in the binder and the stickers are thin and follow the shapes of the protector sheets.

Are there any rigid 9-pocket protectors that I could use to keep the stickers from bending in the binders?  Sort of like top-loaders rigid, but in a 9-pocket sheet.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 04:25:27 PM by Slaytex99 »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: Rigid Pocket Protectors?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 07:10:29 PM »
Order the ultra pro platinum sheets.

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 08:42:23 PM »
ok, I will try them.  I see they come in regular and hologram types.  Which is better for the wackys?

Thanks.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 08:57:22 PM »
ok, I will try them.  I see they come in regular and hologram types.  Which is better for the wackys?

Thanks.

I didn't know there was a difference. I just got in 200 sheets from amazon. They come in a black box and say platinum. They all have a hologram. We're are you looking for these. Check amazon.

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 08:59:14 PM »
Cool.  I ordered a box of hologram ones too.  I guess I picked correctly.  :great:

Thanks for the tip.

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 09:23:50 AM »
Top loaders are the best for their rigidness, but I like to display in a binder also  ;)

I have a ton of stickers in top loaders lined up in a box  :P which are difficult to look through.

That got me thinking about a modified sheet which would fit in a normal 3-ring binder, but wouldn't have normal sleeves.  It would have slot or grooves or rails (not sure how to describe it) that a top loader could be inserted or 'slid' into and then they could be displayed 9 per page.  Probably wouldn't even use as much material to make as a normal sheet since the top loaders are used in conjunction.

I wonder if ultra-pro ever thought about something like that to let us display top-loaders in a binder?

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 10:09:19 AM »

I wonder if ultra-pro ever thought about something like that to let us display top-loaders in a binder?

I did a search and looks like someone has been working on this idea

http://www.toploaderbinder.com/

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 11:18:22 AM »
I did a search and looks like someone has been working on this idea

http://www.toploaderbinder.com/

That would be cool for original series cards. I just ordered 3 binders for my original series. This is going to be really great instead of keeping all my toploaders in a big card box. I never look at them. Now I can just put them on the shelf.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 11:32:29 AM by BumChex »

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 11:57:32 AM »
That would be cool for original series cards. I just ordered 3 binders for my original series. This is going to be really great instead of keeping all my toploaders in a big card box. I never look at them. Now I can just put them on the shelf.
I was going to try to contact the company before I bought to see if the binder would hold more than the 40 pages that come with. If so, I would prefer to buy pages for the binder rather than more binders. Hopefully this will reduce the total cost.

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 01:04:42 PM »
Wow that is cool.  I read their FAQ and watched the youtube video they link to and I can see what they are saying about the pages not fitting in a normal binder.  It would be way too big.

Just to get an idea, I laid a couple top loaders inside this binder and it looks like only 4 per page would fit it if a sheet was made for it.

http://www.toppsonlinestore.com/servlet/the-1120/Wacky-Packages-Official-Collectors/Detail

But for original wackys yea that would be great.  Thanks for the link.

I wish someone (ultra-pro) would make a semi-rigid 9-pocket sheet for normal binders.  If the semi-rigid material was molded into a sheet, it looks like it might just fit in a normal binder even considering the seams.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 01:33:54 PM »
...and never look at them there  ;)   Seriously, that would certainly allow for easier access and occasional impromptu browsing. I find things I have to keep in boxes get looked at maybe once a year whereas I regularly will grab one of my binders and leaf through it during commercials while watching TV in an evening.  About 2 years ago now, I also sold off tons of my extra product parody items and rolled that money over into 5 wall mounted display cases to put things like Chug A Cans (and all the Fleer Crazy XYZ parody candy containers) , Wacky Package Erasures, etc. in. Previously I stored these items in their respective sale display boxes and the boxes were stacked on a shelf. I hardly ever looked at them. Now, I can walk into my man-cave and there they are in all their glory.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 01:35:16 PM »
I was going to try to contact the company before I bought to see if the binder would hold more than the 40 pages that come with. If so, I would prefer to buy pages for the binder rather than more binders. Hopefully this will reduce the total cost.

The site's FAQ states they don't recommend over 30 pages per binder. I figured 3 binders should be enough for my OS because I have a couple series slabbed by PSA

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 11:12:18 AM »
Order the ultra pro platinum sheets.

I have yet to find any Ultra-Pro sheets that lay truly flat.  The last one someone suggested I buy were the silver series and they are still very wavy to me.  I still use a basic Staples or Office Max sheets because they don't have any waviness to them.  They are cheaper too which is a nice bonus.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 11:40:53 AM »
Yea, I am interested to see the platinums when they arrive.  Hopefully they are better than what I have currently.

I am thinking maybe to add a small "backing" board in each pocket to make it more stable.  I don't think anything is out there pre-made, but would be great if there was.

Considering cutting some comic book backing boards or some top-loaders into small inserts that would fit in each pocket with the sticker so they wouldn't get bent.

That would allow the use of the standard binders.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 12:26:44 PM »
I have yet to find any Ultra-Pro sheets that lay truly flat.  The last one someone suggested I buy were the silver series and they are still very wavy to me.  I still use a basic Staples or Office Max sheets because they don't have any waviness to them.  They are cheaper too which is a nice bonus.

I don't know, they seem pretty flat to me. 100X better than the silvers. They are much thicker than the silvers. I just got in 200 sheets. It's night and day.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 02:00:36 PM »
I will be interested in hearing how these binders work out.  My concern is that if you were to tip the binder with the top end pointing downward, the top-loaders might slip out of the pages.  A full binder would be pretty heavy too I would think!
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 04:38:22 PM »

I was the one who had an experience where the silvers were much flatter than the platinums, but that appears to have changed. My last round of platinums had that "curl" in the corner(s) thing, so much so that I ended up leaving no card in one of the corners.

I had excellent experience with the Staples sheets, and then they got weird too where they had this extra little flap between the rows that would fold over incorrectly and cause problems. Basically it seems to be a quality control issue on all of them!

I like the Staples ones over the Ultra Pro because they are thinner, which means I could get a lot more in a single binder (those micro inches really add up). But then the Ultra Pros are nice and thick which is great for ANS, etc.

I ended up going Ultra Pro on ANS and "card stock" cards and Staples for the tan/thinner vintage Wackys.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 04:49:22 PM »
I was the one who had an experience where the silvers were much flatter than the platinums, but that appears to have changed. My last round of platinums had that "curl" in the corner(s) thing, so much so that I ended up leaving no card in one of the corners.

I had excellent experience with the Staples sheets, and then they got weird too where they had this extra little flap between the rows that would fold over incorrectly and cause problems. Basically it seems to be a quality control issue on all of them!

I like the Staples ones over the Ultra Pro because they are thinner, which means I could get a lot more in a single binder (those micro inches really add up). But then the Ultra Pros are nice and thick which is great for ANS, etc.

I ended up going Ultra Pro on ANS and "card stock" cards and Staples for the tan/thinner vintage Wackys.

Believe it or not the Walmart brand pages are pretty good too as far as laying flat.  Avery pages are a little flimsy and therefore have a little curling, so I try to avoid those.  The one drawback with the cheaper pages is that they aren't quite as clear as the thicker more expensive ones like Ultra Pro, but I have a pet peeve with the curling so it's worth the trade off to me.  

Like I said I won't buy anymore Ultra Pro's or even BCW pages until I see them lie flat in person, and I haven't found any yet!  

I also noticed that after a couple years my sleeves get pretty scuffed up, which is very visible through light when there's no cards in them, so I end up swapping them for new ones every 2-3 years.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2013, 07:45:39 PM »
Is there anything available to put full boxes in?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 03:55:17 PM »
I just got in the toploader sheets and binders. They work great! I was able to fit the first 5 series in one binder. It took me about 34 sheets. There are a few cards missing because they are slabbed from PSA. Probably about 10 or so.
Couple complaints though.
1. The sheets aren't hole punched so you have to push them against the binder pegs to work them loose. You can do about 2-3 sheets at a time but some our stubborn so then you have to do one sheet at a time and then you have all these little plastic pieces floating around.
2. There is probably no way around this but each page only holds 6 cards. I'm sure if it could hold 9 it would loose it's structure. But you can't show a whole puzzle set off. I guess it's not that big of deal since you have them in toploaders anyway you aren't displaying them as a set.

Overall it's pretty nice. The binder with 5 series weighs in at 7.5 LB's. The toploaders slip in nicely since you don't have to worry about damaging your card. There also is a glued notch on each pocket corner so the card locks in. I'm sure if you held the binder upside down you might lose a card. I don't want to try to find out.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 07:26:23 PM »
Is there anything available to put full boxes in?
Empty boxes?

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 09:31:17 AM »
Empty boxes?

Yes, is there a protector for the size of boxes?

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2013, 11:29:25 AM »
Slaytex, I was curious about the idea of a plastic enclosure not being acid free and found an interesting article:

http://unfacilitated.preservation101.org/session5/expl_encl-preserv.asp

It seems all plastics are acid free and that pH (acidity and the ability to transfer acidity) is only a property of paper products.  The only danger with plastics, since they don't contain or transfer acids, is that they can trap them.  I assume Wackies are acid neutral so that shouldn't be an issue.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2013, 01:03:52 PM »
I just finished putting my 1-16 collection in the toploader binders. It took me 99 sheets but I have series 1, 13, & 16 slabbed except for puzzles. I have almost completed series 1 that I put in but overall I have about another 20 or so slabbed cards so those didn't go in the binder. You can get 40 sheets in a binder but that's about it.
I think these are really cool and you will be happy with them. The only negative is the binder holes not being punched. I finally cut my finger with the scissors today.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2013, 01:08:16 PM »

I finally cut my finger with the scissors today.

BumChex needs a Bandache

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2013, 01:51:23 PM »
BumChex needs a Bandache

And the Medi-Quak, those scissors are filthy.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2013, 11:13:47 AM »
I know it's been awhile since we discussed this but I had another person ask what they look like so I thought I would share a couple pics. These are really nice!

Offline Kook

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2013, 12:56:54 PM »
I know it's been awhile since we discussed this but I had another person ask what they look like so I thought I would share a couple pics. These are really nice!

The binder is cool, but those are some nice clean & well centered 1st series stickers. You should consider PSA.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2013, 12:59:56 PM »
The binder is cool, but those are some nice clean & well centered 1st series stickers. You should consider PSA.

I'll have to look again but I think I have a whole series one slabbed already. I have about 26 loose series ones in top loaders that I put into the binders. The more organized I get the more unorganized I feel. I found a box of a bunch original series cards. Most sorted by sets. All of my PSA stuff are buried in a couple other boxes.

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2013, 09:21:54 AM »
The site's FAQ states they don't recommend over 30 pages per binder. I figured 3 binders should be enough for my OS because I have a couple series slabbed by PSA

I ordered one binder with 30 pages...I want to see how they are before I order more.  Your pictures made me order one.  :great:

The FAQ says 30 pages is recommended, but then they sell a 40 page binder.  Is the 40 page item a larger binder or are they just stuffing more sheets in? 

You mentioned you had 34 pages in one binder.  How does that work out for you?  Do you think you could fit 40 pages in?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2013, 03:58:48 PM »
I would have to count again. I ordered the 30 page binders and then I ordered another 20 pack of sheets. I think I have around 34-36 per binder. You will know when you have filled it completely.

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2013, 05:59:14 PM »
*Edit*  Sorry, that price didn't include shipping so my point was invalid.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 06:16:30 PM by Slaytex99 »

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2013, 10:51:57 AM »
Received my binder and have filled it with stickers. 

It is a good product; here are my impressions of it.

Pros:

Good quality, it really feels solid.
Works as intended.  Love being able to look at my stickers in the top loaders.
The D-ring is very much appreciated as it helps to keep the sheets flat.
The little notches on each pocket that keep the top loader safely in the sheet are wonderful.

Cons:

The holes in the sheets are hard to remove.  Some are easier than other though.
The weight.  It gets heavy after 1/2 full even.  Maybe a 1/2 size binder could be made.  Like say one that holds only up to 15 or 20 sheets.  This could reduce the size and weight a lot.
Price is a little high, but if there could be a 1/2 size binder it would get more towards the affordable range for me.

Overall I am very pleased with it.  Probably about an 85 out of 100 so good job on it.  :great:

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2013, 11:08:11 AM »
Glad you like them. I also commented on those damn holes. I don't know why they aren't punched already?