Author Topic: OLDS 4 Sketches  (Read 101380 times)

Online lucidjc

Re: OLDS 4 Sketches
« Reply #385 on: February 24, 2013, 03:53:18 PM »
Did you just open those? The colors are great and by 2 great artists. You did well!

Those are 8 of my 10 pre-orders. I still have 2 unopened boxes. I may open 1 more, and keep the last one unopened. That is all the OLDS 4 i will be able to get.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #386 on: February 24, 2013, 09:08:27 PM »
Those are 8 of my 10 pre-orders. I still have 2 unopened boxes. I may open 1 more, and keep the last one unopened. That is all the OLDS 4 i will be able to get.
with 2 great color pulls I would have to open the others.  I just couldn't stop thinking "well I got 2 maybe there is another one"  Good luck to you.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #387 on: February 28, 2013, 04:25:41 PM »
I will be on a panel at this con in Asbury Park, NJ at the end of March.  http://asburyparkcomicon.com/guests/2013/jay-lynch    I am selling this large 18 x 24 painting on ebay  so that I
might have dough to buy stuff there.  They will give me a table to sit at.  But I won't be selling anything. Al Jaffee, Bob Camp, and John Holmstrom are also guests at this con event.
Usually I don't like comic cons at all.  But with these three it should be fun.

Sorry to post this info in this section... But I still don't know how to start a new topic on this forum. But don't bother to tell me how to do this, as I won't remember it anyway.

Hey Jay, looks like you're stayin' healthy, man.  I went to this link & you look freaking 10 years younger than in 1997.  Must be the Wacky Packages.  They keep us all young.  Good luck on the artwork & show!

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #388 on: April 03, 2013, 01:48:03 PM »

I like it.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #389 on: April 05, 2013, 07:28:51 AM »
Here are my pulls from the Topps special. There is one more but it's not worth bothering to scan.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #390 on: April 05, 2013, 08:01:21 AM »
Here are my pulls from the Topps special. There is one more but it's not worth bothering to scan.

I really hope my one and only funpak that I'm getting from my order doesn't have a sketch card "not worth bothering to scan"

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #391 on: April 05, 2013, 08:09:06 AM »
I really hope my one and only funpak that I'm getting from my order doesn't have a sketch card "not worth bothering to scan"

I'm sure your fun pack will be great. These are just the ODLS4 stuff I bought to get the fun packs. I posted pics of my fun packs in the spoiler thread. They're all nice.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #392 on: April 05, 2013, 09:04:58 AM »

Boyh you and Quas (sp) got decent OS4 sketches in your pulls. Am hoping mine will be in the same ratio as yours for good sketches.
A

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #393 on: April 05, 2013, 09:11:55 AM »
Boyh you and Quas (sp) got decent OS4 sketches in your pulls. Am hoping mine will be in the same ratio as yours for good sketches.
A

When do you get your shipment?

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #394 on: April 05, 2013, 12:18:08 PM »
When do you get your shipment?

Actually, I don't know exactly! I didn't order via my usual login code and I haven't gotten a ups shipping notice via email.
Do I enter my order # somewhere on the Topps site?
A

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #395 on: April 05, 2013, 01:10:36 PM »
Actually, I don't know exactly! I didn't order via my usual login code and I haven't gotten a ups shipping notice via email.
A

No, they don't have anything like that. What state do you live in? I know they shipped everything ordered on monday and tuesday, on Tuesday so if your in CA you should have it Tues.

Offline Kook

« Reply #396 on: April 05, 2013, 01:22:04 PM »
A

You can no longer do that on their new site  >(  You have to call the online customer service at 866.374.8266.

I tried the customer service phone number ON THEIR WEBSITE, chose their "entertainment products" option, waited on hold for about 10 minutes. Once they answered, they told me I had to call the online customer service number which they had to give me. Not a very good customer experience.

The old website had a quick interface - enter the order number - up pops the tracking info. I have 1000 different logins, I didn't want 1001, so I just order & checkout with paypal. Convenient on the front end, but a pain on the other.

I have also noticed that when I pay with paypal, they never send a confirmation e-mail (before or after the new website). I don't really know why, because they have the e-mail from paypal. They just don't.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 01:24:21 PM by Kook »

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #397 on: April 08, 2013, 09:14:43 AM »
You can no longer do that on their new site  >(  You have to call the online customer service at 866.374.8266.

I tried the customer service phone number ON THEIR WEBSITE, chose their "entertainment products" option, waited on hold for about 10 minutes. Once they answered, they told me I had to call the online customer service number which they had to give me. Not a very good customer experience.

The old website had a quick interface - enter the order number - up pops the tracking info. I have 1000 different logins, I didn't want 1001, so I just order & checkout with paypal. Convenient on the front end, but a pain on the other.

I have also noticed that when I pay with paypal, they never send a confirmation e-mail (before or after the new website). I don't really know why, because they have the e-mail from paypal. They just don't.

Thanks for the tip - my delivery times are 4/09 and 04/11. Right now one of the shipments is in palace called Vernon, Ca...??

Offline barfwimpson

« Reply #398 on: April 10, 2013, 07:01:43 PM »
Picked up three OS4 boxes and 3 comics to get two Fun Packs (those are posted in the Fun Packs thread and are comics panels from Engstrom and Camera).
Here's the three sketches from the boxes, Lynch, Parisi, and Gambino.

I'd purchased only one box of OS4 previously, and it had a nice Parisi, so 5 nice sketches out of 6 total as a result of purchasing 4 boxes of OS4 and three comics, one of which had a Wonky promo. Think I'll quit while I'm ahead!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #399 on: April 10, 2013, 07:40:10 PM »
Picked up three OS4 boxes and 3 comics to get two Fun Packs (those are posted in the Fun Packs thread and are comics panels from Engstrom and Camera).
Here's the three sketches from the boxes, Lynch, Parisi, and Gambino.

(Image removed from quote.)

I'd purchased only one box of OS4 previously, and it had a nice Parisi, so 5 nice sketches out of 6 total as a result of purchasing 4 boxes of OS4 and three comics, one of which had a Wonky promo. Think I'll quit while I'm ahead!

You know, I've seen this Gambino before and I don't get it. There's nothing but a head. I love the Lynch and Parisi. Mark is so damn funny with his sketches. Most crack you up. I already have one of the Lynch you pulled. Trying to figure out how many characters he did.

Offline Wgblood

« Reply #400 on: April 10, 2013, 07:50:34 PM »
You know, I've seen this Gambino before and I don't get it. There's nothing but a head. I love the Lynch and Parisi. Mark is so damn funny with his sketches. Most crack you up. I already have one of the Lynch you pulled. Trying to figure out how many characters he did.

The Gambino is Jelly Bully.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #401 on: April 10, 2013, 09:14:49 PM »
The Gambino is Jelly Bully.

I will need to look at the card again but, to me, its a horrible sketch. There is nothing but a head. Fill the card! Have some fun with it! I know Gambino is on this forum so this is constructive criticism. :great:
If you look at the bookend sketches you will see some funny stuff but just a head? There has to be more to it than that.
I sold 5 sketches on eBay yesterday auction style and they all sold for $.99 each. That's pretty bad. I sure hope Topps reads these posts.
I don't know Topps sketch pay scale but as a collector I want good stuff. This has to hurt Topps product. I have talked to quite a few collectors and ANS10 sketches have got to be the worse of any other series. There are a core of amazing sketch artists and you guys know who you are and they will come out in the sketch polls. These guys bleed Wackys with a passion and it shows. They are the show stoppers of the series and get all other collectors excited but there are also half of the artists that don't seem to have a passion for this. It's way too obvious and we discuss these internally not to hurt feelings.
Sorry just a rant to let some artists know that if you accept the job, please, please, put some passion into it because it shows in the final results.
One thing I want to do is give a shout out to MAZ. So far I don't think there has been a repeat title and that is fantastic. Not everyone is great but quite a few are, my opinion. I love how you took this and made it your own. You have a total different style and I think its great! I hope you do more next series and keep up the variety! That's what makes it fun for collectors.
I could go on and on about pencils to ink but that's another conversation. Just constructive criticism because I love sketches. I will give a shout out to my favorite artists once the sketch balloting is done. These guys need a standing ovation!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 09:32:59 PM by BumChex »

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #402 on: April 10, 2013, 10:17:11 PM »
Brad, since we're doing shout outs to artists, let me give a shout out to George Wright and his exceptional sketches from Olds 4.  His clean designs and wonderfully rendered images were a joy to behold.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #403 on: April 11, 2013, 07:15:25 AM »
Brad, since we're doing shout outs to artists, let me give a shout out to George Wright and his exceptional sketches from Olds 4.  His clean designs and wonderfully rendered images were a joy to behold.

You are correct. George did an amazing job with his OLDS4 sketches!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #404 on: April 11, 2013, 09:24:01 AM »
I will need to look at the card again but, to me, its a horrible sketch. There is nothing but a head. Fill the card! Have some fun with it! I know Gambino is on this forum so this is constructive criticism. :great:
If you look at the bookend sketches you will see some funny stuff but just a head? There has to be more to it than that.
I sold 5 sketches on eBay yesterday auction style and they all sold for $.99 each. That's pretty bad. I sure hope Topps reads these posts.
I don't know Topps sketch pay scale but as a collector I want good stuff. This has to hurt Topps product. I have talked to quite a few collectors and ANS10 sketches have got to be the worse of any other series. There are a core of amazing sketch artists and you guys know who you are and they will come out in the sketch polls. These guys bleed Wackys with a passion and it shows. They are the show stoppers of the series and get all other collectors excited but there are also half of the artists that don't seem to have a passion for this. It's way too obvious and we discuss these internally not to hurt feelings.
Sorry just a rant to let some artists know that if you accept the job, please, please, put some passion into it because it shows in the final results.
One thing I want to do is give a shout out to MAZ. So far I don't think there has been a repeat title and that is fantastic. Not everyone is great but quite a few are, my opinion. I love how you took this and made it your own. You have a total different style and I think its great! I hope you do more next series and keep up the variety! That's what makes it fun for collectors.
I could go on and on about pencils to ink but that's another conversation. Just constructive criticism because I love sketches. I will give a shout out to my favorite artists once the sketch balloting is done. These guys need a standing ovation!

How about the sketches Joe Simko did for the 2012 Halloween series?  Forget about doing just a head.........he did just a tooth for "Toothy Roll"!  I actually liked them too.

There were a lot of pencil sketches for ANS10, many of which look very flat and washed out.  I'm not a fan of penciled sketches either.   

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #405 on: April 11, 2013, 09:36:25 AM »
How about the sketches Joe Simko did for the 2012 Halloween series?  Forget about doing just a head.........he did just a tooth for "Toothy Roll"!  I actually liked them too.

There were a lot of pencil sketches for ANS10, many of which look very flat and washed out.  I'm not a fan of penciled sketches either.    

He did a really great one for the Halloween sketches. I'm trying to remember and it may have been posted on the forum but it's two guys holding up their sketches and one says something like see my sketch and the other one says 'I got a tooth'...HaHa I'll see if I can find it.

Here is the sketch. This is great.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 09:39:46 AM by BumChex »

Offline quas

« Reply #406 on: April 11, 2013, 10:24:37 AM »
How about the sketches Joe Simko did for the 2012 Halloween series?  Forget about doing just a head.........he did just a tooth for "Toothy Roll"!  I actually liked them too.

There were a lot of pencil sketches for ANS10, many of which look very flat and washed out.  I'm not a fan of penciled sketches either.   

I like Dave Gross's pencil sketches for ANS10.
Marc

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #407 on: April 11, 2013, 10:50:41 AM »

I do too. If pencil is done right. I love this sketch I have in my collection. Another artist getting away with tobacco sketches.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #408 on: April 12, 2013, 11:28:51 AM »

The prices they have been selling for would suggest you aren't alone.  I can't get used to them.  Just out of curiosity, if you took a sketch from Dave like the one below and had the exact same sketch done in ink (making the lines more defined and darker), which one would you prefer?

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #409 on: April 12, 2013, 05:47:17 PM »
Here are my most recent OS4 sketches, purchased during the April Fool's promo -

Am happy with these - had wanted a George Wright, and even wanted the blue Goonman when I saw copies of this on ebay...Dr Popper is well drawn - a Wheaton sketch?

(Not sure why the photo is cropped....)

Alex[/font][/color][/b]

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #410 on: April 12, 2013, 06:08:09 PM »
that pic is incredibly tiny. love to see a larger one

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #411 on: April 12, 2013, 07:10:47 PM »
Just a FYI to anyone needing some ideas about resizing photos or scans

If you right click on any image and choose, “Properties” you can view the dimensions of your image

Images above 1000 in either direction (width x height) are giant and tough to view sometimes

Our avatars are in the 150 x 150 range, and are very tiny

Dimensions in the 400’s thru 800’s (in either direction) work really well for posting on this forum

For example, Dr. Popper’s image below is 501 x 658. This is the range I've found that works well, by trial and error

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #412 on: April 15, 2013, 12:52:43 AM »
that pic is incredibly tiny. love to see a larger one

Oddly enough, that picture was really large pixel-wise.
Hopefully, shrinking it will make it bigger on this thread!