Author Topic: OLDS 4 Sketches  (Read 101472 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: OLDS 4 Sketches
« Reply #280 on: January 17, 2013, 03:24:18 PM »
Any clue on this Engstrom?  It's not from the original series, unless I've missed something...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wacky-Packages-OLD-SCHOOL-SER-4-Sketch-Card-Gulp-Guy-Brent-Engstrom-/380558071855?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item589b07582f

It's spackel from OLDS1. Engstrom didn't do any original series sketches.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #281 on: January 19, 2013, 06:47:24 PM »
OK, time for another installment of the wacky vice squad: "Tobacco, part 2"

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #282 on: January 19, 2013, 06:58:16 PM »

None of these have shown up yet. Where are they?

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #283 on: January 19, 2013, 08:02:50 PM »

Hey Neil, These are "smokin hot"-LOL.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #284 on: January 20, 2013, 03:36:55 AM »
None of these have shown up yet. Where are they?

Three possibilities: 1) People haven't opened their boxes. 2) People aren't posting them. 3) People hate them  :'(
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 03:44:08 AM by koduck »

Offline Rabid Shaver

• Trivia Pirates
« Reply #285 on: January 20, 2013, 03:43:00 AM »
Three possibilities: 1) People haven't opened their boxes. 2) People aren't posting them. 3) People hate them :'(

4) or....People Smoked them?    :)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 04:06:52 AM by Rabid Shaver »

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #286 on: January 20, 2013, 04:16:52 AM »
4) or....People Smoked them?    :)

5_ or...People Drank them?

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #287 on: January 20, 2013, 06:37:33 AM »
Three possibilities: 1) People haven't opened their boxes. 2) People aren't posting them. 3) People hate them  :'(

Or people really like them and are keeping them, thus no ebay listings and the forum members just haven't been the "Lucky" ones to "Strike" it big with one.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #288 on: January 20, 2013, 07:57:32 AM »
Or people really like them and are keeping them, thus no ebay listings and the forum members just haven't been the "Lucky" ones to "Strike" it big with one.
I think that's the case, they are all 'keepers'. btw - those puns make me "Heave;)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 08:01:47 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline Rabid Shaver

• Trivia Pirates
« Reply #289 on: January 20, 2013, 09:06:42 AM »
....WOW! those are awesome.......are they "Proofs?"  Hic

......did see Blast breifly on the Bay, but pulled quickly
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 09:08:41 AM by Rabid Shaver »

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #290 on: January 20, 2013, 11:21:46 AM »
5_ or...People Drank them?

Yes! Brandy Land!!
Since we can't get booze/cigs Wackys as stickers, next best thing is sketches. I'm surprised Topps approved these.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #291 on: January 20, 2013, 12:50:17 PM »
3) People hate them  :'(

I guess you better step up your game.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #292 on: January 20, 2013, 02:24:56 PM »
I guess you better step up your game.

I'll raise my glass to that...how about a game of Brandy Land?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 04:57:27 AM by koduck »

Offline RedBeans

« Reply #293 on: January 20, 2013, 06:06:08 PM »
Hey Neil, are you making any of you GPK BNS Returns available??  That "Neil Camera" sketch with Koduck is unbelievable!!   :great:

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #294 on: January 21, 2013, 07:00:42 AM »
Hey Neil, are you making any of you GPK BNS Returns available??  That "Neil Camera" sketch with Koduck is unbelievable!!   :great:

Thanks a bunch, but which sketch are you referring to? Is it the koduck from the last GPK set or koduck from a recent Wacky set? I've drawn way too many sketch cards to keep track! Post a pic if you can...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 07:05:13 AM by koduck »

Offline RedBeans

« Reply #295 on: January 21, 2013, 02:30:47 PM »
Thanks a bunch, but which sketch are you referring to? Is it the koduck from the last GPK set or koduck from a recent Wacky set? I've drawn way too many sketch cards to keep track! Post a pic if you can...

My bad man, sometimes I forget the thousands of sketches you all do....it was the one on Barron's GPK website from Brand New Series 1 bottom left...

« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 02:33:11 PM by RedBeans »

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #296 on: January 23, 2013, 10:06:07 AM »
My bad man, sometimes I forget the thousands of sketches you all do....it was the one on Barron's GPK website from Brand New Series 1 bottom left...

(Image removed from quote.)

OK, I forgot about that one! If you send me a reminder in a PM, I'll let you know when my next GPK returns are approved and ready for release.

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #297 on: January 23, 2013, 06:48:48 PM »
Decided to take a chance and buy two more boxes.  My sketches below, I'm very pleased -- thanks Neil and Mark!

(Didn't correct for the sepia tone my scanner always seems to add.)

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #298 on: January 23, 2013, 07:49:46 PM »
Decided to take a chance and buy two more boxes.  My sketches below, I'm very pleased -- thanks Neil and Mark!

Out of my 2 boxes I bought, I pulled a B/W Camera of WP (That 1 I'm keeping) and here is the other one, If anyone on here is interested, Please send me a PM with your offer.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #299 on: January 23, 2013, 10:17:17 PM »
Hi, I'm taking offers on these returns...

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #300 on: January 24, 2013, 02:10:04 PM »

Great pulls!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #301 on: January 24, 2013, 04:47:00 PM »

Is it just me or does there seem to be an unusually high amount of sellers selling Olds 4 sketches for way higher than they are worth?  I see a bunch for between $100.00 - $300.00, and they are just typical black and whites, and it's several weeks after the series released.  Granted many of them have a "make offer" option, but if someone is asking $250.00 for a sketch I value at $50-$75.00, I'm not going to make an offer because I feel like I'm insulting the seller. 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #302 on: January 24, 2013, 04:48:44 PM »
Is it just me or does there seem to be an unusually high amount of sellers selling Olds 4 sketches for way higher than they are worth?  I see a bunch for between $100.00 - $300.00, and they are just typical black and whites, and it's several weeks after the series released.  Granted many of them have a "make offer" option, but if someone is asking $250.00 for a sketch I value at $50-$75.00, I'm not going to make an offer because I feel like I'm insulting the seller. 
YOU'RE SO SENSITIVE
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #303 on: January 24, 2013, 05:19:45 PM »

I hate to say it but I think these sellers are counting on that feeling. The mentality seems to be, the higher the buy it now price, the higher someone is apt to offer. I refuse to feel guilty offering $30 for a sketch listed with a BIN of $275. I think this selling tactic only hurts the seller in the long run. I see most of these end without purchase. I suspect we will see them relisted several times until a reasonable BIN is specified or it is simply auctioned outright. 

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #304 on: January 24, 2013, 05:29:02 PM »
Rob, I agree that most Olds 4 sketch auctions are priced inconsistently with the market.  I suspect it may be the high price per box for this series that compels people to price cards high in hopes of recouping their cost.   It also may be that people are using Ernie's approach to listing.  In any case out of the 306 active auctions, 246 are buy it now so most people are pricing their sketches as opposed to letting the market price it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 05:58:33 PM by vfx2g »

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #305 on: January 24, 2013, 05:46:52 PM »

My guess is that at least some of the time the sellers don't know which sketches may sell for higher amounts. Since the price is often based on how often a certain character or artist shows up (rather than something like the amount of ink on a sketch), the seller may just not have that knowledge or want to put in the effort to obtain it. Since listing is free, why not list high and relist for a lower price if it doesn't sell. I've sold a few sketches within minutes of listing them, which always makes me wonder if the buy it now was too low. But at least they sold.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #306 on: January 24, 2013, 07:24:28 PM »

All I have to say is look at the completed auctions with no bids. You can offer anything you want and shouldn't feel you are insulting. I offered $50 for a $200 sketch and won it. Nobody else sent an offer or of they did mine was the highest. I've also spent $200 in the Wright Siesta when I think it was offered at around $375. You will notice the Cameras, Wright, Smokin Joe, & Lynch are all selling for around $80-$250 for a B&W. Engstroms are also selling in about that range because they are harder to pull. He only did around 100 total.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #307 on: January 24, 2013, 07:48:18 PM »
All I have to say is look at the completed auctions with no bids. You can offer anything you want and shouldn't feel you are insulting.

I agree, offer whatever you want to and don't feel bad.  Some of the starting prices are ridiculous.

Check this out: I had my eye on 3 sketch auctions. All 3 didn't sell due to high starting prices. I wrote the seller, offering $10 per sketch. Never heard back. I see them re-listed later, this time low starting prices. They each sold for about $3 ea (I forgot to bid on them). They would have been better off taking me up on my offer!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #308 on: January 24, 2013, 11:06:35 PM »
Rob, I agree that most Olds 4 sketch auctions are priced inconsistently with the market.  I suspect it may be the high price per box for this series that compels people to price cards high in hopes of recouping their cost.   It also may be that people are using Ernie's approach to listing.  In any case out of the 306 active auctions, 246 are buy it now so most people are pricing their sketches as opposed to letting the market price it.

True, but the sellers seem to me to me to be shooting themselves in the foot because we all know once that hot period ends prices plummet in a hurry, and then your stuck with a bunch of sketches that you cant sell.  The "hot" period is based on several weeks or until the next series comes out.  We have already passed the peak for sketches on series 4. 

I think overall buyers prefer the BIN format because there's no waiting involved. You can make a decision and buy it right away, but if the prices are way over market value it defeats the purpose.

The Lynch's, Engstrom's, and Wright's all are tougher to pull for this series, but they are also all top-notch quality sketches.  Smokin Joe's are also great for this series, as well as Neils. 

Offline Rabid Shaver

• Trivia Pirates
« Reply #309 on: January 25, 2013, 06:32:43 AM »
True, but the sellers seem to me to me to be shooting themselves in the foot because we all know once that hot period ends prices plummet in a hurry, and then your stuck with a bunch of sketches that you cant sell.  The "hot" period is based on several weeks or until the next series comes out.  We have already passed the peak for sketches on series 4. 

I think overall buyers prefer the BIN format because there's no waiting involved. You can make a decision and buy it right away, but if the prices are way over market value it defeats the purpose.

The Lynch's, Engstrom's, and Wright's all are tougher to pull for this series, but they are also all top-notch quality sketches.  Smokin Joe's are also great for this series, as well as Neils. 

...thinking you can put the Wheaton, Parisi, and Pingitore's in there as well ....and the others are unique.  They fill in titles we'd all like to see without falling off the Fecal Cliff  :great:
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 06:37:47 AM by Rabid Shaver »

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #310 on: January 25, 2013, 07:28:26 AM »
...thinking you can put the Wheaton, Parisi, and Pingitore's in there as well ....and the others are unique.  They fill in titles we'd all like to see without falling off the Fecal Cliff  :great:

Your right.  There are some artists who do such a solid job for each series that we don't talk about them much because they have set a precedent and we take it for granted.  It's when they go from good to great for a particular series that they get the buzz.     

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #311 on: January 25, 2013, 09:43:45 AM »
Your right.  There are some artists who do such a solid job for each series that we don't talk about them much because they have set a precedent and we take it for granted.  It's when they go from good to great for a particular series that they get the buzz.     

Without checking the specific release in the history.. I remember the first time Joe Simko contributed sketches he received a luke-warm reception here. He has been hitting them out of the park since then, in my opinion.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #312 on: January 25, 2013, 10:21:42 AM »
Without checking the specific release in the history.. I remember the first time Joe Simko contributed sketches he received a luke-warm reception here. He has been hitting them out of the park since then, in my opinion.

I don't know about that. I loved his initial sketches. He was the first to use combo characters and also the first to try a puzzle.

Offline Kook

« Reply #313 on: January 25, 2013, 11:04:50 AM »
I don't know about that. I loved his initial sketches. He was the first to use combo characters and also the first to try a puzzle.

Was that Joe Simko, or Smokin' Joe?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #314 on: January 25, 2013, 11:12:05 AM »
Was that Joe Simko, or Smokin' Joe?
DOH! i was actually looking at my sketches that came in the mail when I read his note. I was thinking Smokin' Joe. No he is right, Simko was a bit suspect at first but then he had some of the best sketches in the last few series including PC's. It's too bad he didn't do any for OLDS4. I love his stuff. Actually my first piece of art was Simko's Stake 5. It's still on my wall and it's awesome.

anything