Author Topic: Philly Non-Sports Card Show PROMO!  (Read 34221 times)

Re: Philly Non-Sports Card Show PROMO!
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2010, 03:55:51 PM »
If they will give us extras, I will send them to people for free.  I will go right down this thread and send in the order people post in case I get fewer extras than there is demand to make it as fair as possible.  I just ask for a little assistance on postage.

Neil, do you know if they will give any extras away to meet this demand?

Yippppeeeee!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 05:37:33 PM by De-Mented Tomatoes »

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2010, 04:06:38 PM »
I would gladly pay $6.00 plus postage. My two son's sports commitments may prevent me from attending the show.

Andrew

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2010, 04:14:02 PM »
If I don't make it to the show, please include me in your list of people who want a card, and who will help with shipping.

If I do make the show, I'll also pick up whatever extras I can to help out forum members.
I am probably way too late but I would like one too, if possible.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2010, 04:38:48 PM »
I'll glady pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.

Still did not see an approval or rejection to my May 1st day off submission. Dang !

I would hate to prepare then be let down.

:^)
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline GadzookaBoy

• Just Another Funko Observer
« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2010, 04:50:58 PM »
So .. will there be a Topps booth at this show ??

Does anyone know ??

If so .. will Mike Jaspersen be running it ???

I maybe able to get a couple Promo's from him ..  :D

Last time I was at this show was 2002 in the fall ..
How old is this gum ???
It's ALL about being WACKY !!!
WEB SITE http://justanotherfunkoobserver.com/
TOY/PERSONAL BLOG http:/jafosnews.blogspot.com/

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2010, 05:39:39 PM »
Neil, don't know if you're allowed to share this information or not, but is this image a preview of something to come?  ANS 2010 or future postcards, for example.  It's so sweet, I'd love to think I could get it down the line in some form even if I can't make Philly.  That said, I understand if you need to keep mum for now.  Mummmmmm. 

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2010, 07:44:14 PM »
I would gladly pay $6.00 plus postage. My two son's sports commitments may prevent me from attending the show.

Andrew

Wow, look what I started!
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2010, 08:07:02 PM »
Great idea! Looks like admission is only $6 for one day, $10 for 2 days. Can someone please buy me an admission too?

Personally, I think this is a terrible idea. The idea is that this card is a perk you get for attending the show. A reward for patronizing the dealers who are at the show. "Buying an admission" for someone who isn't there is equivalent to purchasing extra cards for $6 each, but the show enjoys no benefit from this. How are the promoters supposed to handle this? What if the first guy in line asks to buy 100 admissions to sell the cards on ebay? There is no way they should allow people to buy extra cards because they have no way of policing what will be done with them. They certainly won't have enough of a supply on hand to sell every one as many "admissions" as they request, so there would be no way to do it fairly even if it didn't completely defeat the purpose of a "show promo card."

Bad idea. If people want one that badly (for reasons I don't understand), they should purchase one on the secondary market from someone who obtained it legitimately.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2010, 08:08:12 PM »
Wow, look what I started!

Yeah, you started it and I'll continue it!   :D  I'm guessing it's too late as well, but I'd be happy to pay someone's admission and postage if anyone can pick up an extra goodie bag.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2010, 04:17:21 AM »
Neil, don't know if you're allowed to share this information or not, but is this image a preview of something to come?  ANS 2010 or future postcards, for example.  It's so sweet, I'd love to think I could get it down the line in some form even if I can't make Philly.  That said, I understand if you need to keep mum for now.  Mummmmmm. 

Hi Elizabeth,

Resees was done as way to help promote the show and there are no plans to include it in future postcard sets.

Wish I could give you more info, but honestly, I don't know what the promoters plan to do with any extras after the show. Perhaps they'll make it available on the secondary market?

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2010, 05:19:21 AM »
Hi Elizabeth,

Resees was done as way to help promote the show and there are no plans to include it in future postcard sets.

Wish I could give you more info, but honestly, I don't know what the promoters plan to do with any extras after the show. Perhaps they'll make it available on the secondary market?
Is the Resees promo postcard sized, or regular card sized?

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2010, 05:20:14 AM »
Thanks for the reply Neal!  And Dave made a good point, if the idea of the promo is to encourage people to attend and support the dealers / businesses at the show, it makes sense you'd need to physically be there to get the promo.  Now I'll have to reconsider the bus from Manhattan to Allentown! 

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2010, 05:47:04 AM »
Personally, I think this is a terrible idea. The idea is that this card is a perk you get for attending the show. A reward for patronizing the dealers who are at the show. "Buying an admission" for someone who isn't there is equivalent to purchasing extra cards for $6 each, but the show enjoys no benefit from this. How are the promoters supposed to handle this? What if the first guy in line asks to buy 100 admissions to sell the cards on ebay? There is no way they should allow people to buy extra cards because they have no way of policing what will be done with them. They certainly won't have enough of a supply on hand to sell every one as many "admissions" as they request, so there would be no way to do it fairly even if it didn't completely defeat the purpose of a "show promo card."

Bad idea. If people want one that badly (for reasons I don't understand), they should purchase one on the secondary market from someone who obtained it legitimately.

Dude, you're killing my buzz....
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2010, 09:22:37 AM »
Is the Resees promo postcard sized, or regular card sized?

Hi pat,

It's a standard postcard size (4.25" x 6). Resees on front and the Philly Show logo on back.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2010, 09:41:52 AM »
Hi pat,

It's a standard postcard size (4.25" x 6). Resees on front and the Philly Show logo on back.
Are you or any other of the "Wacky" artists going to be there??? :^)
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2010, 11:27:38 AM »
Hi pat,

Thanks for the info, Neil, I like the postcard size, it's easier to appreciate the art!  I am working on getting to the show next Saturday.  Any chance you'll be there?  I'd love to meet you!

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2010, 04:36:15 PM »
Thanks for the reply Neal!  And Dave made a good point, if the idea of the promo is to encourage people to attend and support the dealers / businesses at the show, it makes sense you'd need to physically be there to get the promo.  Now I'll have to reconsider the bus from Manhattan to Allentown! 

Please consider coming, I really want to see you make it.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2010, 05:23:14 PM »

You make some good points I didn't think of.  If they allowed multiple purchases I could see people trying to take advantage of it by flipping them on ebay.  I was only thinking about hooking up some forum members without thinking of the potential issues.  The point about not doing the show any good is also valid because it does no good to the dealers.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2010, 06:48:49 PM »
I think I am going to make it after all!!  So I look forward to seeing everyone, baring a bout of swine flu or natural disaster.  Until soon, Elizabeth

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2010, 11:10:31 PM »
I'm goin' to da show, see ya's in person next week !!!   :D
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #90 on: April 25, 2010, 07:04:47 AM »

I don't think we meant 100's of extra admissions. Just a couple Wacky forum members purchasing one or two extra admissions for the people who can't make it. Plus the additional promos in the goodie bag could very well generate some sales that would have otherwise been just sitting as leftovers at the end of the show.

If they were worried about not having enough for the current attendees, they could just not allow "extra admission purchases" till later in the day when most people are already there, and then only one or two per person.

Oh and the reason I want one of those postcards so badly is because IT ROCKS!!  ^-^

Taz

« Reply #91 on: April 25, 2010, 07:55:27 AM »
I don't think we meant 100's of extra admissions. Just a couple Wacky forum members purchasing one or two extra admissions for the people who can't make it.  Oh and the reason I want one of those postcards so badly is because IT ROCKS!!  ^-^

Ditto!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #92 on: April 25, 2010, 09:47:23 AM »
I don't think we meant 100's of extra admissions. Just a couple Wacky forum members purchasing one or two extra admissions for the people who can't make it.

I don't doubt your intentions are noble. But if the precedent is set that the show is willing to sell extra goodie
bags for re-sale elsewhere, it would then be up to them to decide how many, to whom, etc.  Why would they want to get involved in all of these headaches? Forum members have flipped this kind of thing on ebay before, but even if it wasn't those people, it might be someone else.

The whole point of "show promo cards" is that they're only obtainable at the show. Selling extras for people not at the show defeats the whole purpose. The fact that other people want them really is not relevant to this. If someone was willing to wait around until Sunday afternoon to see if they had extras, they might be willing to sell them I guess. All I'm saying is they would be wrong to do so, because it undercuts the specialness of the item for people who are coming out and supporting the show.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #93 on: April 25, 2010, 10:08:24 AM »
You make some good points I didn't think of.  If they allowed multiple purchases I could see people trying to take advantage of it by flipping them on ebay.  I was only thinking about hooking up some forum members without thinking of the potential issues.  The point about not doing the show any good is also valid because it does no good to the dealers.
First off, please realize per Dave's admission, he is biased against this promo and he for some reason feels the need to throw in the "for reasons I don't understand" relating to collectors' desires to own this promo.  The last thing in the world he enjoys is watching frenzies over new wackys as it takes away from his undying desire to discuss old wackys 24/7.

The less "black and white" view of this is this potentially COULD help the show as it would give the promoters a lot more paid admissions and at the end of the day, if the promoters aren't making money, there are no more shows, end of story there.  The issue here is only that these are LIMITED.  The promoters certainly have an idea of how many patrons typically make the show so if the produced quantity was several hundred above that, then "selling" them wouldn't be an issue.

Certainly the ultimate goal is to increase patronage so the dealers can make some sales as of course if dealers stop going to shows, that also spells the end of shows.  Finding a middle ground is probably the best answer so the show "selling" these is NOT an unequivolcal "bad idea".

It would be interesting to see how much extra patronage takes place by people purely attending the show to get a promo vs the loss admission sales by refusing to "sell" these.  Clearly with this forum alone, there is demand to "sell" at least 20 or more which is $120 of revenue for the promoter.  Maybe a more ingenius idea would be to charge double for proxy admissions ie $12 with a limit of such purchases to the amount produced into an overflow bucket ie produce 200 more than normal attendance set aside for proxy admissions.

See, let the creative juices flow a bit to make this a win for everyone involved.  The happy medium is somewhere in there.

Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #94 on: April 25, 2010, 10:11:36 AM »
I don't doubt your intentions are noble. But if the precedent is set that the show is willing to sell extra goodie
bags for re-sale elsewhere, it would then be up to them to decide how many, to whom, etc.  Why would they want to get involved in all of these headaches? Forum members have flipped this kind of thing on ebay before, but even if it wasn't those people, it might be someone else.

The whole point of "show promo cards" is that they're only obtainable at the show. Selling extras for people not at the show defeats the whole purpose. The fact that other people want them really is not relevant to this. If someone was willing to wait around until Sunday afternoon to see if they had extras, they might be willing to sell them I guess. All I'm saying is they would be wrong to do so, because it undercuts the specialness of the item for people who are coming out and supporting the show.

I disagree with your suggested premise that a high % of attendees do so for the promos.  Unless there are wackys in the promo bag, I throw them in a stack on shelf at my house and have never looked at them again.  I know many people do the same.  How many do you know whose primary interest in the shows is getting promos who wouldn't attend the show otherwise.  I would bet a majority think of the promos as "nice" but has little bearing on whether they attend a show.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #95 on: April 25, 2010, 11:08:24 AM »
First off, please realize per Dave's admission, he is biased against this promo and he for some reason feels the need to throw in the "for reasons I don't understand" relating to collectors' desires to own this promo.  The last thing in the world he enjoys is watching frenzies over new wackys as it takes away from his undying desire to discuss old wackys 24/7.

You got me, that pretty much is why I threw in that comment and it was childish. However, this very fact (which means I don't care at all about the promo (even though it is nicely done), and plan to give mine away to someone who has helped me out a lot over the years) means I have no particular dog in this fight and the remainder of my comments stem only from what I think is right in the situation.

You can come up with any number of complicated scenarios, but certain facts will not budge:

1. Whether or not anyone is attending the show specifically to get a promo card (I agree, highly unlikely), the point of calling the card a "Philly Show promo" is that that is the only place it can be obtained.

2. If any leftovers are sold, there is no unbiased way to decide who they should be sold to. Ultimately, someone will end up putting them on ebay. Why shouldn't the promoters of the show just put them on ebay themselves? Don't you think that would maximize their profit given a willingness to allow them to be sold to non-attendees? I just don't see why the promoters should bend over backwards to get forum members a promo card at a bargain basement price. What's in it for them? They stand to gain a couple of hundred bucks in admissions (with no benefit to the dealers) and they stand to lose any credibility as to the exclusivity of their giveaways.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #96 on: April 25, 2010, 11:24:03 AM »
...and he for some reason feels the need to throw in the "for reasons I don't understand" relating to collectors' desires to own this promo.

Just to clarify so that people don't think I'm just being a complete a-hole here:

1. I think the work on the promo card is very nice, my comment was not intended to degrade its artistic merit, sorry if it came out that way.

2. Collecting to me is about a connection to my youth and trying to hunt down nostalgic old items in unusually nice condition. I understand that not everyone here has similar priorities. That said, it is hard for me to understand why owning an item like this promo card is important to anyone. I loved Plan 9's postcard work (as I told him at the time) but I never considered buying the postcards. Unless you are Rob Palmer, I don't understand in what way amassing a huge accumulation of all this new stuff is fulfilling.

Still, everyone's entitled to pursue what they enjoy, and I will try to refrain from comments like this in the future.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #97 on: April 25, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
I don't think people buying extra admissions will have any affect on the show. In the past, promo cards have been given out in bulk at shows. They have been found all over eBay and everywhere. The show didn't make any money on those. In this case, the promos are still finding their way to non-attendees but the show makes some money off it.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #98 on: April 25, 2010, 12:16:10 PM »
Whether or not anyone is attending the show specifically to get a promo card (I agree, highly unlikely), the point of calling the card a "Philly Show promo" is that that is the only place it can be obtained.

By the way, I do see your point that letting others purchase it that didn't attend the show, could take away some of the "uniqueness" of the card. Doesn't mean I don't still want it.  ;D

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2010, 12:16:28 PM »
I don't think people buying extra admissions will have any affect on the show. In the past, promo cards have been given out in bulk at shows. They have been found all over eBay and everywhere. The show didn't make any money on those. In this case, the promos are still finding their way to non-attendees but the show makes some money off it.

That's apples and oranges, the promo cards you're talking about were Topps promo cards that they happen to have given away at the Philly Show among other places. This card is a promo card specific to the Philly Show, produced by Topps to be given away there and only there, by the show promoter and not at the Topps table.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2010, 12:24:20 PM »
Collecting to me is about a connection to my youth and trying to hunt down nostalgic old items in unusually nice condition. I understand that not everyone here has similar priorities. That said, it is hard for me to understand why owning an item like this promo card is important to anyone. I loved Plan 9's postcard work (as I told him at the time) but I never considered buying the postcards. Unless you are Rob Palmer, I don't understand in what way amassing a huge accumulation of all this new stuff is fulfilling.

I too enjoy collecting as a link to my youth. However I also enjoy collecting the new Wacky stuff in addition to the old, and the postcards are definitely part of Wacky Packages collecting for me.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2010, 12:39:22 PM »
I too enjoy collecting as a link to my youth. However I also enjoy collecting the new Wacky stuff in addition to the old, and the postcards are definitely part of Wacky Packages collecting for me.

I agree, the "vintage" stuff is by FAR my favorite, but the (ANS) stuff is great also! For me it just more stuff to love, there's no nostalgia in it, but it's cool for me just to see "Wackys" alive & well!
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #102 on: April 25, 2010, 03:01:39 PM »
The show promoters asked me to mention that they don't plan to sell tickets in bulk. In other words, they're trying to encourage people to come to the show.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 04:05:05 PM by koduck »

Taz

« Reply #103 on: April 25, 2010, 05:24:56 PM »
The show promoters asked me to mention that they don't plan to sell tickets in bulk. In other words, they're trying to encourage people to come to the show.

Then tell the promoters to move the show around a bit, like Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago and we'll see how people get encouraged.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #104 on: April 25, 2010, 06:32:57 PM »
Then tell the promoters to move the show around a bit, like Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago and we'll see how people get encouraged.

You're missing the point. Your comments are coming from wanting this card and being unable to attend the show. But the promoters of the show aren't in the business of making sure a promo card is available nationwide. They're promoting a show, and Topps happens to be cooperating with them trying to drum up interest by making a special card available. While I admit few are attending the show primarily for the card, making it available outside the show utterly defeats the purpose of its existence, so at that point they might as well just scrap it.

I understand that someone who really wants this is frustrated that it's not readily available. But there just isn't any reason for the show promoter to cooperate in making it more widely available.

anything