Author Topic: Bazooka gum getting a major facelift.  (Read 4379 times)

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
Re: Bazooka gum getting a major facelift.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 04:57:22 AM »
tough to say what this will do - it modernizes the look to be hip and trendy to kids, which at the same time blends it in with all the other gums out there so that it no longer stands out on its own with its distinct look

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 06:15:31 PM »
I actually haven't seen bazooka gum at the candy counters in ages. Do they still sell as individually wrapped pieces? I'm sure they're not a penny anymore -
Alex

Offline dth1971

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 09:24:29 AM »
Goodbye Bazooka Joe comics, replaced by puzzles and games instead.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 10:15:06 AM »
Here's an article about it w/ a short interview with our own Jay Lynch!

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/11/30/166250251/say-it-aint-so-joe-bazooka-bubble-gum-is-killing-its-tiny-comics?ft=1&f=1001&sc=tw&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

In the interview, Jay sites Henry James and Thomas Aquinas as "literary influences" for his Bazooka Joe comics

What do you think, for Wacky Packages?   Lord Byron?   Poe?   Dickens?

Offline Bazooka Bob

• Bubble Gum Comics
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 11:02:42 PM »
The news that Bazooka Joe comics will no longer be inserted with the gum is a major blow to me!  I've spent the past decade trying to catalog them all and now my work may have come to an end.    :'(

Offline ToadallyDude

the FLAVOR
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 12:59:08 PM »
Speaking of Bazooka gum...
I had always noticed as a kid that Bazooka had a very distinct taste that was different than other bubble gum (especially different from the dry crackly Wacky Pack gum, and the "barf-infused cardboard" taste of Baseball Superfreaks & Crazy Covers gum)  But of course, the ingredients for candies & gums always say "artificial flavors", etc., which can be anything (like barf-infused cardboard).

Well, at lunch today, the restaurant (which happened to be vegan) had these delicious-looking, soft lemon cookies that I decided to try.  As I was eating one, I had this taste memory of something from the past.  At first I couldn't place it, but suddenly it came to me... Bazooka gum!  I think the fact that they were soft & chewy helped the taste revelation, but I'm thinking that the "citric acid" or "artificial flavor" in that gum was actually "lemon"!  I would have never guessed that would be an ingredient in bubble gum.  But if any of you ever happen to be eating lemon-flavored deserts... concentrate on your childhood and imagine chewing Bazooka.  You'll be amazed!

anything