Author Topic: Check out my new website  (Read 2746 times)

Offline Schmutz

Check out my new website
« on: November 26, 2012, 11:56:25 AM »
Hi All,

Not sure who here will appreciate this but I wanted to post just the same.
I started a new small businees/project on the side and wanted to share it with you guys and gals.
Check out my website and let me know what you think
http://www.woodriverstones.com  and like us on facebook@ http://www.facebook.com/woodriverstones.com
I stated the biz for fun. I love working with wood and these "stones" are really cool.

Thanks,
C.

Offline Jean Nutty

Re: Check out my new website
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 12:45:07 PM »
Fascinating!

I am a bit of a rock hound, and also enjoy woodworking, so this interests me on a couple of levels. The bowl of polished wood rocks is very attractive. Your website is nice and I like the name you chose. It’s clear you put some work into everything. I am wondering if you use a tumbler to finish your wood stones once they are cut to shape - but maybe that is a trade secret. Hope your bruised knuckles are doing better…

Offline Schmutz

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 01:52:42 PM »
Hi,

It's been a lot of fun working with all the different wood species. I have had my hand in the wood trades for years but nothing this refined.
Believe it or not, these are all made by hand one at a time. That's where the bloody knucles come into play. The wood is highly sanded and no we don't use a tumbler. That in theory, would be a lot easier however we dont think it would come close to making the wood as smooth as working them by hand. Each stone is sanded smooth with no finish! They really are quite beautiful in person.

Thanks for your reply.

Check us out on FB if you get a few minutes. We update the photos there a lot more then the website.

Best,
C.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 02:46:41 PM »
Hi,

It's been a lot of fun working with all the different wood species. I have had my hand in the wood trades for years but nothing this refined.
Believe it or not, these are all made by hand one at a time. That's where the bloody knucles come into play. The wood is highly sanded and no we don't use a tumbler. That in theory, would be a lot easier however we dont think it would come close to making the wood as smooth as working them by hand. Each stone is sanded smooth with no finish! They really are quite beautiful in person.

Thanks for your reply.

Check us out on FB if you get a few minutes. We update the photos there a lot more then the website.

Best,
C.

I love them!  Wish there was a store I could get to, I'd definitely buy some of these.  They would look fantastic in my office.

Great pictures on the website.  Any chance of identifying the woods in the future?

Offline ClubbedCanadian

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 11:16:20 PM »
Very nice,,great form of art.

Offline Schmutz

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 07:07:20 AM »
I love them!  Wish there was a store I could get to, I'd definitely buy some of these.  They would look fantastic in my office.

Great pictures on the website.  Any chance of identifying the woods in the future?

Thank you very much. They photograph well but they are truly amazing in person. When I get a little more time, I will label each picture with the species of wood the stone was made from.

Offline Schmutz

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 07:12:17 AM »
Very nice,,great form of art.

Thank you! They really do present well. Here is a shot of a few stones in a wood plate.

Offline Buzzooka

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 10:12:30 AM »
Is the color of your "stones" all natural color of the wood, or are some stained? 

Offline Schmutz

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 10:37:39 AM »
Is the color of your "stones" all natural color of the wood, or are some stained? 

Great question!

Everything about the stones are 100% natural. No poly, no stain.

Offline Buzzooka

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 10:50:46 AM »
Some interesting species indeed. I would love to know what they are. I have seen a nice green and purple from the tulip tree. That is Liriodendron Tulipifera, not the often mistaken Saucer Mangnolia (Magnolia x Soulangeana). 

Offline Schmutz

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 02:30:03 PM »
The wood that isnt labeled are more of the same species.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 05:34:14 PM »
Those are gorgeous.
Jason Liebig - Curator of CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all.

Offline Schmutz

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 02:35:20 AM »
Those are gorgeous.

Thanks! They are so much nicer in person. The pictures don't show off the chatoyancy of the wood.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 07:53:50 AM »
Thanks! They are so much nicer in person. The pictures don't show off the chatoyancy of the wood.

Had to look that one up.  That's quite a word! 

-------------------
chatoyancy -
the condition or quality of changing in color or luster depending on the angle of light, especially of a gemstone that reflects a single shaft of light when cut in cabochon form.
----------------------
If these have that quality, I can see what you mean.  Dang...
Jason Liebig - Curator of CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all.

Offline sco(o)t

• May your Valentines be Wacky!
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 09:00:14 AM »
Had to look that one up.  That's quite a word!  

-------------------
chatoyancy -
the condition or quality of changing in color or luster depending on the angle of light, especially of a gemstone that reflects a single shaft of light when cut in cabochon form.
----------------------
If these have that quality, I can see what you mean.  Dang...

Thanks for the definition... I though perhaps it was the level or aggrevation (or annoyance) one feels when on a forum or chat room because one doesn't know the meaning of fanciful words being used.   ;)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 09:01:58 AM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Schmutz

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 10:54:00 AM »
Had to look that one up.  That's quite a word! 

-------------------
chatoyancy -
----------------------
If these have that quality, I can see what you mean.  Dang...

No doubt, I did too the first time I read it. There is no other way to describe the woods response to light other then that word so......
The good part it now you know it and can use it frequently.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 05:44:33 PM »
Thanks for the definition... I though perhaps it was the level or aggrevation (or annoyance) one feels when on a forum or chat room because one doesn't know the meaning of fanciful words being used.   ;)

That's funny!

After looking up the pronounciation finding that the "ch" was pronounced /sh/, I may start using this word to describe fecal floaters in the past tense. (Wow, that was a long way to go for potty humor, sorry.)

Offline Schmutz

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2013, 01:30:14 PM »
Hi All,

We have decided to branch out a bit with www.woodriverstones.com  We are now at six stores in Maine. We are at Blue Tree in NYC, good in Boston and N.W. Barrett in Portsmouth N.H.  It has been a lot of fun building this small business and working with all these amazing wood species. Here is a small picture of some of the beautiful wood species we have started to work with. We update out FB page more often so check us out there too.  www.facebook.com/woodriverstones

anything