Author Topic: ANS10 - Spoilers  (Read 309436 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: ANS10 - Spoilers
« Reply #105 on: January 12, 2013, 07:13:32 PM »
Well I'm excited about the addition of Buy Backs and the return of Autographs and Printing Plates.  Very curious to see who they get to sign this time.  I hope they are more like the ANS 7 autographs then the Mars Attacks ones.

I really don't fully understand a buy back. They can't just send you a base ANS title. What's the point of even sending it in? The stamp costs more. We have all the artists autographs so that's not that exciting.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: January 12, 2013, 07:23:12 PM »
I really don't fully understand a buy back. They can't just send you a base ANS title. What's the point of even sending it in? The stamp costs more. We have all the artists autographs so that's not that exciting.
they could send anything, but hopefully it's something actually worthwhile. Die cuts would be nice.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #107 on: January 12, 2013, 07:46:08 PM »
they could send anything, but hopefully it's something actually worthwhile. Die cuts would be nice.

I don't get why people might think this. Are you talking about actual '67 product? Why would Topps have old "bought back" stock of die cuts laying around? That doesn't make sense to me. More likely it would be that Flashback stock that they bought back from Walmart (?) that they supposedly shredded. I remember being bummed that they might have shredded some plates doing that. But what would be the point of adding a chrome (or whatever) logo to one of those common Flashback stickers? Would anyone think that's special? Maybe I'm not understanding the whole buy back thing either...

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: January 13, 2013, 04:10:56 AM »

My understanding of buyback cards is that they are actually inserted in the packs.  Redemption cards that have to be mailed in are usually for something like art, or a multiple card subset, something that wouldn't fit in the pack.

I'm curious as to what will show up.  Has anyone seen anything that says the buybacks will definitely be Wacky Packages items?

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #109 on: January 13, 2013, 04:19:20 AM »
While I'm kind of surprised to hear the resistance to ANS10, I am in full agreement.  I'm not sure which bothers me more (though the two are clearly connected), the rising price or sheer complexity of trying to complete a full set.  Like most collectors, I suspect, I'm a completist.  I loved how the early all new series had what, IMO, was a managable way to "collect them all" without spending a fortune.  You could buy a base set cheaply, or get the base with the two inserts sets and the 2-5 bonus cards.  Now, the challenge is so great that, without studying it more in depth, I'm likely to simply get a base set and the magnet subset.  Perhaps I'll pick up a bit more, but we'll see.  Perhaps it's due to a more restricted money supply or changing life situations/priorities, but ANS is getting further and further away from how I want to spend my time and money.

Kind of shocked to read about this new hobby collector release with super high prices and super bad odds for certain items. While putting a pretty rare card in each box seems like a win for us the lost wackys being tough will cause major issues. It has always been the case that the casual collector or low funded collector could acquire a base set of all images at a low outlay. If you wanted the golds or sketches that was a different story but at least you could acquire all the images , just not the variants. Now only the majorly funded collectors will have all the images.  Too bad.

Time will tell. It looks like this will be a crucial release in terms of the future of wackys. I will probably purchase the harder cards on the bay as the price per box is so high.
  Not sure yet.

Andrew
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 05:02:40 AM by DrDeal »

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: January 13, 2013, 06:47:25 AM »
I don't get why people might think this.
overly optimistic, I guess. but you're probably right - they'll just be ANS2 swill, and there won't even be a foil stamp on the cards.

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: January 13, 2013, 06:49:30 AM »
My understanding of buyback cards is that they are actually inserted in the packs.  Redemption cards that have to be mailed in are usually for something like art, or a multiple card subset, something that wouldn't fit in the pack.

I'm curious as to what will show up.  Has anyone seen anything that says the buybacks will definitely be Wacky Packages items?
LOL. now that would be hilarious if topps threw in superman 3 or other worthless crap!

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #112 on: January 13, 2013, 07:53:59 AM »
I don't get why people might think this. Are you talking about actual '67 product? Why would Topps have old "bought back" stock of die cuts laying around? That doesn't make sense to me. More likely it would be that Flashback stock that they bought back from Walmart (?) that they supposedly shredded. I remember being bummed that they might have shredded some plates doing that. But what would be the point of adding a chrome (or whatever) logo to one of those common Flashback stickers? Would anyone think that's special? Maybe I'm not understanding the whole buy back thing either...

I'm sure there are others here who are more familiar with this issue, but it looks like Topps has been inserting original 50+ y/o baseball cards into current packs. Check out this eBay listing as an example:

eBay auction: #http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Topps-Heritage-1963-Buybacks-64-Dick-McAuliffe-50th-Anniversary-Stamp-/350690848651?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item51a6cdaf8b

So it doesn't seem crazy to think they'd include some actual 1967 die cuts. Or a crapload of Bon Ami's

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #113 on: January 13, 2013, 09:07:37 AM »
that would be hilarious if topps threw in superman 3 or other worthless crap!
HEY!! I have a set of Superman cards!   ;)

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #114 on: January 13, 2013, 09:10:57 AM »
I'm sure there are others here who are more familiar with this issue, but it looks like Topps has been inserting original 50+ y/o baseball cards into current packs. Check out this eBay listing as an example:

eBay auction: #http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Topps-Heritage-1963-Buybacks-64-Dick-McAuliffe-50th-Anniversary-Stamp-/350690848651?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item51a6cdaf8b

So it doesn't seem crazy to think they'd include some actual 1967 die cuts. Or a crapload of Bon Ami's

Doc, your ebay link is setup incorrectly. Just put the item number between the html tags:

eBay auction: #350690848651

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #115 on: January 13, 2013, 09:12:21 AM »
Doc, your ebay link is setup incorrectly. Just put the item number between the html tags:

Ah, thanks!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: January 14, 2013, 03:40:49 AM »
HEY!! I have a set of Superman cards!   ;)

Come on, just one??   :^)

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #117 on: January 14, 2013, 08:49:34 AM »
no. Previews lists full retail prices, which is what those prices are.

there are lower prices at other sites, like Potomac, for $69/box, $399/case

http://www.potomacdist.com/detail.asp?itemid=wackyp10cb
Thanks I was able to order My (2) cases .  But the window does close soon for the Pre- Orders. 

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #118 on: January 14, 2013, 09:39:14 AM »
Come on, just one??   :^)
Oh, OK... I have all the Christopher Reeve sets. Think that's three of them. :16:

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #119 on: January 14, 2013, 11:46:51 AM »
Is there a good place where people are pre-ordering the special hobby boxes?

I've already ordered the "regular" ones through Potomac, but as far as I could
tell, they didn't have the other boxes.

Thanks!

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #120 on: January 14, 2013, 11:48:31 AM »
(yes, I'm talking to myself)

Never mind, I think it was through Blowout cards, and they were the
special boxes.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #121 on: January 14, 2013, 03:04:41 PM »
Oh, OK... I have all the Christopher Reeve sets. Think that's three of them. :16:

There's a soft spot in my heart for the two 1979/1980 Superman sets.  Same with ST-TMP and Battlestar Galactica - I was able to buy all of those by the pack. 

• Administrator
« Reply #122 on: January 14, 2013, 03:24:41 PM »
Is there a good place where people are pre-ordering the special hobby boxes?

I've already ordered the "regular" ones through Potomac, but as far as I could
tell, they didn't have the other boxes.

Thanks!
the link I posted above is for the collector's boxes through Potomac. they've got both now, not just the hobby version.

http://www.potomacdist.com/detail.asp?itemid=wackyp10cb
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 03:56:20 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline Mashbox

• Drive Yourself Buggy
« Reply #123 on: January 14, 2013, 07:11:11 PM »
All I can say regarding what Topps is doing with Wackys... I remember the days when I talked about this on the previous forums about what was going in the world of sports cards. And here we are, those days have arrived in Wackys and other non-sports stuff (I assume that's the case, don't follow the whole non-sports world as much).

I would be tempted to buy a hobby collector box if each one was guaranteed to have a sketch card, but then I see that other inserts may replace sketch cards. The printing plates strike me as an "eh, whatever" chase card... especially based on one I believed somebody shared on one of the previous forms. Why should we care about a printing plate? Sketch cards are truly cool items, printing plates and "rare" parallels just draw a shrug of the shoulders from me.

But, hey, when I pulled those gold-bordered Flashbacks and people were willing to give me trades or buy them from me, I wasn't going to say no. It's not like I feel I have to keep something like that.

At any rate, the real problem I see is Topps really isn't doing what it should be doing to make the hobby collector boxes unique. Put one sketch card and one other special type of card per box and you are getting somewhere. Maybe a "buyback" of ANS cards in which Topps gets the person who painted the Wacky to autograph the ANS card or something like that to make it a unique collectible.

And I know it sucks for completists, but this is the way the hobby is turning. Don't know what else to tell you.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #124 on: January 14, 2013, 07:43:46 PM »
All I can say regarding what Topps is doing with Wackys... I remember the days when I talked about this on the previous forums about what was going in the world of sports cards. And here we are, those days have arrived in Wackys and other non-sports stuff (I assume that's the case, don't follow the whole non-sports world as much).

I would be tempted to buy a hobby collector box if each one was guaranteed to have a sketch card, but then I see that other inserts may replace sketch cards. The printing plates strike me as an "eh, whatever" chase card... especially based on one I believed somebody shared on one of the previous forms. Why should we care about a printing plate? Sketch cards are truly cool items, printing plates and "rare" parallels just draw a shrug of the shoulders from me.

But, hey, when I pulled those gold-bordered Flashbacks and people were willing to give me trades or buy them from me, I wasn't going to say no. It's not like I feel I have to keep something like that.

At any rate, the real problem I see is Topps really isn't doing what it should be doing to make the hobby collector boxes unique. Put one sketch card and one other special type of card per box and you are getting somewhere. Maybe a "buyback" of ANS cards in which Topps gets the person who painted the Wacky to autograph the ANS card or something like that to make it a unique collectible.

And I know it sucks for completists, but this is the way the hobby is turning. Don't know what else to tell you.

I'm still waiting for Previews pre-orders, is the Feb. 2013 Previews due out next week?

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #125 on: January 15, 2013, 05:15:06 PM »
(yes, I'm talking to myself)

Never mind, I think it was through Blowout cards, and they were the
special boxes.

potomic has the collectors edition for 100.00 dollars cheaper than blow out

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!
« Reply #126 on: January 15, 2013, 05:28:18 PM »

Maybe they have a stash of Wonder Bread stickers they'll be sticking in these packs...

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #127 on: January 15, 2013, 05:48:51 PM »
Maybe they have a stash of Wonder Bread stickers they'll be sticking in these packs...
As long as they actually bought them back. We may even get ones with someone's name written on the back!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #128 on: January 15, 2013, 06:16:07 PM »
potomic has the collectors edition for 100.00 dollars cheaper than blow out

So the 3 Lost Wackys are 1 per CASE. I need to drop $1200 for 3 Cases just to get 3 of them AND I might get doubles>>>>  

And there are 8 Bonus cards which are 1 per box/ 6 boxes per case.  This will be interesting to follow.

Andrew

« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 06:18:49 PM by DrDeal »

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #129 on: January 15, 2013, 06:58:40 PM »
 So the 3 Lost Wackys are 1 per CASE. I need to drop $1200 for 3 Cases just to get 3 of them AND I might get doubles>>>>  

And there are 8 Bonus cards which are 1 per box/ 6 boxes per case.  This will be interesting to follow.

Andrew

IF TOPPS REALLY WANTED TO MAKE IT KICK ASS THEY WOULD HAVE A SPECIAL INSERT TO REDEEM "ACTUAL REAL WACKY ART " NONE OF THAT BUYBACK SHIT!! OR A RATZ KRACKER DIE CUT !! THAT WOULD TAKE IT UP A NOTCH!! A REAL COLLECTOR'S CASE!!STOP PLAYIN' WITH US!!PUT YOUR BALLS BACK IN YOUR BALL SACK!!(JUST HEARD STIFLER SAY THAT ) :] :]

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #130 on: January 15, 2013, 07:04:08 PM »

Andrew

Ebay prices will be $$$ for those. We will need to get some nice hi-res scans of them uploaded to the forum. I'll be happy with some nice color laser printed copies for my collection, since many of these bonus cards will be otherwise unattainable for many of us.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #131 on: January 15, 2013, 07:58:37 PM »
IF TOPPS REALLY WANTED TO MAKE IT KICK ASS THEY WOULD HAVE A SPECIAL INSERT TO REDEEM "ACTUAL REAL WACKY ART " NONE OF THAT BUYBACK SHIT!! OR A RATZ KRACKER DIE CUT !! THAT WOULD TAKE IT UP A NOTCH!! A REAL COLLECTOR'S CASE!!STOP PLAYIN' WITH US!!PUT YOUR BALLS BACK IN YOUR BALL SACK!!(JUST HEARD STIFLER SAY THAT ) :] :]

Yes, yes ! That would be the insert to chase !
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #132 on: January 15, 2013, 08:39:07 PM »
Yes the Lost Wacky's and Bonus card situation is unfortunate but I do think it's great that they're adding so many chase cards.  In terms of the sketches, printing plates, autos, buy-backs, cloth stickers, red and black ludlows, I'm only planning on getting an example of each but it will be cool to chase them down.  Also curious what the Wacky Oversized Billboard is all about.

Has anyone looked into how much the Bonus cards in the last Garbage Pail Kids set went for?  I recall Fred Wheaton saying they did something similar on that set.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 10:51:26 AM by vfx2g »

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #133 on: January 16, 2013, 03:24:36 AM »
I heard from Topps that the ANS10 buybacks will not include anything from All-New Series.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #134 on: January 16, 2013, 04:22:10 AM »
Yes the Lost Wacky's and Bonus card situation is unfortunate but I do think it's great that they're adding so many chase cards.  In terms of the sketches, printing plates, autos, buy-backs, cloth stickers, red and black ludlows, I'm only planning on getting an example of each but it will be cool to chase them down.  Also curious what the Wacky Oversized Billboard is all about.

Has anyone looked into how much the Bonus cards in the last Garbage Pail Kids set went for?  I recall Neil saying they did something similar on that set.

i looked at completed auctions for the GPK Bonus Cards from the last release. There were 8 different ones in collector hobby boxes/ 1 per box and 4 at retail. They don't sell for too much. So it looks like the Lost Wackys will be the high dollar cards.

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #135 on: January 16, 2013, 05:41:40 AM »
I heard from Topps that the ANS10 buybacks will not include anything from All-New Series.

now that's encouraging!!!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #136 on: January 16, 2013, 06:15:50 AM »

Has anyone looked into how much the Bonus cards in the last Garbage Pail Kids set went for?  I recall Neil saying they did something similar on that set.

It is a little disappointing that I have to give up on getting one of everything, and now I may have to same the same approach as you and just get one example of each chaser.  It will be fun opening the packs with all of the possibilities, but it will definitely bug me that I can't collect them all.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #137 on: January 16, 2013, 06:41:00 AM »
It is a little disappointing that I have to give up on getting one of everything, and now I may have to same the same approach as you and just get one example of each chaser.  It will be fun opening the packs with all of the possibilities, but it will definitely bug me that I can't collect them all.

how many cases did you buy? wouldn't you expect to get most of them? there's always trading?

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #138 on: January 16, 2013, 02:47:13 PM »
how many cases did you buy? wouldn't you expect to get most of them? there's always trading?
\\Red Ludlows are 1 Per case and cases are $400. Since there are 75 of them you need to spend
$30,000 to get 75 of them and that's many dupes. Not doable for most.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #139 on: January 16, 2013, 03:08:47 PM »

I haven't really broke it down yet, but I ordered 12 collector boxes which I believe is equal to two cases (and 16 hobby boxes).  If I recall correctly, there's only one Lost Wacky title per 6 boxes, so I will be one short on those.  It also looks like I won't have any shot of completing the golds, black or red ludlows, or cloths.  In fact I won't even be close on most of them.  That's disappointing after ordering well over a grand in product!  It's fine if your intention is to resell, but as a collector it sucks.     
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)